Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent pressure zones and rent reviews query

Options
  • 01-02-2018 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

So I am living in a rent pressure zone since early 2015.
    My rent was reviewed last year - 4%. My rent was reviewed again for this year - 4% increase. Somebody told me the maximum rent increase is 2% per year since the previous rent was set.

Could somebody please clarify if it is 2% or 4%?

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

My understanding is 4% every 2 years after an initial rent is set, but this website sets it all out, and now I'm not clear anymore.

https://www.rtb.ie/rent-pressure-zones

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Syzygy

It's a max of 4% a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭VonBeanie

As I understand it, the first rent review after the RPZ was introduced is at 2% p.a. and should be 2 years after the previous rent review (so that is 4% in total). Thereafter its 4% p.a. until (if ever) the RPZ ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Use the calculator on the site linked above... should answer your questions

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

VonBeanie wrote: »
    As I understand it, the first rent review after the RPZ was introduced is at 2% p.a. and should be 2 years after the previous rent review (so that is 4% in total). Thereafter its 4% p.a. until (if ever) the RPZ ends.

Even if you don't to the first review until 10 years after the last one the max is still 2% for each year for those 10 on the first review.

Landlords not increasing their rent since rpz started are costing themselves 2% per year when they do decide to raise rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

KellyXX wrote: »
    Even if you don't to the first review until 10 years after the last one the max is still 2% for each year for those 10 on the first review.

Landlords not increasing their rent since rpz started are costing themselves 2% per year when they do decide to raise rent.

And that is disregarding the compounding effect.

So take a monthly rent of 1,000 in an rpz. If you didn't increase rent for 20 years then increased the maximum allowable under the rules you would be capped at an increase to €1,400.

Starting from the same €1,000 monthly rent at the commencement of teh RPZ, If you increase after the initial 2 years then every year thereafter you would be capped at €2,025 after 20 years.

Pretty stark difference.

Advertisement