Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCI - National college of ireland

Options
  • 01-02-2018 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

NCI psychology is my first choice on my CAO and i just have a few questions regarding the college and course.
    Does anyone know what the accommodation is like? Is it close to campus?
    What kind of modules are there in psychology and what are the hours like?
    Thanms

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I can't comment on the questions you raised, but do be aware that the NCI is really quite a small college and doesn't really have the same "Campus" feel that places such as UCD, DCU, TCD or Maynooth would have. I would recommend getting in touch with the course convenor and see if you can get the contact details for a current student in the course you are interested in. Go in one day when lectures are on and get a feel of the place during term time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 theirishgirl

I’m actually in first year in UCD right now and i don’t like it at all, i find it’s too big so i would prefer a smaller college and that’s why i am considering NCI. thanks for replying! will do
    boombang wrote: »
    I can't comment on the questions you raised, but do be aware that the NCI is really quite a small college and doesn't really have the same "Campus" feel that places such as UCD, DCU, TCD or Maynooth would have. I would recommend getting in touch with the course convenor and see if you can get the contact details for a current student in the course you are interested in. Go in one day when lectures are on and get a feel of the place during term time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I've studied at UCD (and TCD) and I know what you mean about it being too big.

I would caution that NCI might almost be too small. I used to teach there about 10 years ago and at that time it really felt tiny. Things may have changed

One thing I would consider is that there used to be the possibility of moving between institutions without having to go back to first year. For example, this might be one way to transfer to TCD. While not small, TCD feels much less like a sea of people and will have smaller class sizes. Indeed, this might be a handy way to transfer to NCI too. There's no harm in asking.

yes i agree, it seems like a lot of people are dropping out of ucd because they feel like it’s too big. oh really? i personally do think that a small college would suit me.
    i don’t think i would be able to transfer into second year as i’m doing arts (politics, sociology and psychology) so i wouldn’t have done as much psychology modules as people do in pure psychology courses but i will have a look into it. thank you
    boombang wrote: »
    I've studied at UCD (and TCD) and I know what you mean about it being too big.

I would caution that NCI might almost be too small. I used to teach there about 10 years ago and at that time it really felt tiny. Things may have changed

One thing I would consider is that there used to be the possibility of moving between institutions without having to go back to first year. For example, this might be one way to transfer to TCD. While not small, TCD feels much less like a sea of people and will have smaller class sizes. Indeed, this might be a handy way to transfer to NCI too. There's no harm in asking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Jimjones55

I'm in my 4th year in NCI studying Computer Science. The small classes are amazing, and as people fail/drop out each year, they get even smaller and you really make friends with anyone. I don't no about other course, but the computing courses have a 98% employment rate.

• Advertisement

yes i’ve heard good things about the sizes of the classes actually! when do the exams take place during the year and what happens if you fail a module? (hopefully that won’t be the case). thanks for replying!
    Jimjones55 wrote: »
    I'm in my 4th year in NCI studying Computer Science. The small classes are amazing, and as people fail/drop out each year, they get even smaller and you really make friends with anyone. I don't no about other course, but the computing courses have a 98% employment rate.

yes i’ve heard good things about the sizes of the classes actually! when do the exams take place during the year and what happens if you fail a module? (hopefully that won’t be the case). thanks for replying!

Semester 1 (September to December) exams take place in January. While Semester 2 (January - May) take place in May.

If you fail you can repeat the exam in August. AFAIK if you fail a module which is 100% continuous assessment you can resubmit course work.

ah okay that’s grand thanks for letting me know. any chance you know anything about the on campus accommodation?
    Semester 1 (September to December) exams take place in January. While Semester 2 (January - May) take place in May.

If you fail you can repeat the exam in August. AFAIK if you fail a module which is 100% continuous assessment you can resubmit course work.

ah okay that’s grand thanks for letting me know. any chance you know anything about the on campus accommodation?

Nothing really I'm afraid, except that is not reserved for NCI students. It's general student accommodation with a small % kept for NCI students, the rest is up for grabs by any students from other institutions and Nci

oh right! thanks for letting me know.
    Nothing really I'm afraid, except that is not reserved for NCI students. It's general student accommodation with a small % kept for NCI students, the rest is up for grabs by any students from other institutions and Nci

• Advertisement
Advertisement