Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Viking Marathon & Half & Quarter 30.06.18

• 01-02-2018 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Early bird entries are open now and new routes on their website. The routes aren't hugely different but they seem to be going further along the greenway and taking in some of Mt Congreve gardens or going around them. The finish, I could be wrong but it looks like its finishing downhill from Carriganore house?

Signed up for the half anyway to get the advantage of the early bird price

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Two massive hills on the half and full.

The Hill out of Mountcongreve is 25% for a bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

To be honest "the hill" last year coming off the greenway was a turnoff for me personally running this again. I know some like this kind of thing but the Waterford AC route I felt was more enjoyable,more scenic and had enough hills to be fairly challenging. Just my tuppence.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

First time running Waterford Marathon last year and to be honest I wouldn't be a fan of the course at all, the greenway was nice but as mentioned having to do that hill twice was crap. But then I'm also not a fan of looped courses. Doubt I'll do it again, I'd prefer if it went out to Tramore.

My view of the run might be slightly skewed due to me running 31miles to the start line first though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

Anyone from Kilkenny running this? Looking for like minded souls to run with as I find the longer runs a slog on my own. Hoping to run sub 3hr50 but not too pushed about times really....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

looks like the route is different this year.....mostly on the greenway which could be nice:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

A good climb x 2 into the WIT Campus at Carriganore at miles 6.5 and 25.5 will be tough but there is instant downhill! We go down the hill at Mount Congrieve. The turn back from Carrolls Cross on the Greenway from mile 20 to WIT is decent to slightly downhill and will come at the right time. I think it is a lot less demanding than last year

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

I asked the organisers on FB and they confirmed that the Greenway is closed to other users for the duration of the marathon, and they will have a split management team to ensure the runners coming back into Waterford are not impeded by those still on their way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I did the half a few years ago on the old course, so can someone tell me is the actual greeway going to be split down the middle with outbound runners on one side and in-bound on the other? That sounds terrible if it is.

For a city marathon I'd actually prefer it to hit more parts of the city, I know they are trying to avoid traffic disruption etc but from a support and spectator perspective it would be better to have it hitting more parts of the city and/or Tramore which was great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Anyone else doing this?
    Got an email this yesterday for this. Warnings of the heat forecast for Saturday. Basically people should reduce their planned pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 smurfsturf

Yes, doing the half.
    Looks like it is going to be a another scorcher so will be taking it really easy!

• Advertisement

smurfsturf wrote: »
    Yes, doing the half.
    Looks like it is going to be a another scorcher so will be taking it really easy!

Yeah. Think my hope of a PB is not worth chasing. Just maybe at 9am it might not be the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 smurfsturf

Yes, doing the half.

Just maybe at 9am it might not be the worst.
    The temperature outside is 26.5° right now (9am in west cork), so hope things cool off by Sat. Not complaining though as enjoying the time off.

The temperature outside is 26.5° right now (9am in west cork), so hope things cool off by Sat. Not complaining though as enjoying the time off.

Crap. What're other peoples plans? The advice in the email said to reduce planned pace by 15 to 30 secs per mile.

For me, I was hoping sub 1.30 for the first time. But I'd be a tight sub 1.30, not 1.25 or anything. So guessing it'll be pretty stupid to go for 1.30 in the heat. Just resign my self to run it as a hard training run?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Important Notice for anyone doing the Full marathon tomorrow - Full marathon downgraded to half or quarter options due to the heat.

https://www.facebook.com/WaterfordVikingMarathon/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

RubyK wrote: »
    Important Notice for anyone doing the Full marathon tomorrow - Full marathon downgraded to half or quarter options due to the heat.

https://www.facebook.com/WaterfordVikingMarathon/

they should update their main website too, not everyone is on Facebook.
    Good call though, madness to run a marathon in this heat when you're not used to it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

they should update their main website too, not everyone is on Facebook.
    Good call though, madness to run a marathon in this heat when you're not used to it.

They should have given a downgrade option to people imho

It's an awful shame they choose a marathon route that they clearly were worried about either water access or first aid support on so they opted to cancel the marathon instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

Anyone else signed up for the 2019 version?

Whats the course like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Is the 25/26ths of a marathon on this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

deisedude wrote: »

Whats the course like?

If it’s the same as 2017, very tough.

Some serious climbs in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

deisedude wrote: »

Whats the course like?

I am doing the half this year, I believe the Marathon course is hard a bit hilly hopefully it is not as warm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

Baby75 wrote: »
    I am doing the half this year, I believe the Marathon course is hard a bit hilly hopefully it is not as warm

Yikes! Think i'll go out at a more conservative pace in that case

Advertisement