Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get a job in cyber-security with only online colleges?

Options
  • 01-02-2018 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hey so im 18 and ive spent the most part of the past year thinking about what the hell to do with my life now that i did my leaving cert (with in all honesty the results were atrocious) and after alot of looking around and stuff i landed on cyber security as it seems intresting, i love everything I.T and i want to learn how to code anyways.

So anyways since most good positions in this field require things on the level of a bachelors degree in things like computer sciences this kinda put me infront of a significant problem as the idea of going to college frightens me greatly, not just the fear of getting rejected but also i cannot deal in social environments atall (aka im a huge shut in who spends his life infront of a computer screen)

So i was wondering weather degrees from online colleged are accepted enough to allow me to pursue a career in cyber security?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The simple answer is, it depends.

If the college is accredited and offers awards that are either on the National Qualifications Framework or accepted by industry, then you should be fine.

But there are a lot of "online" colleges that are money-making machines from which the award isn't worth the paper it is written on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bionett

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    The simple answer is, it depends.

If the college is accredited and offers awards that are either on the National Qualifications Framework or accepted by industry, then you should be fine.

But there are a lot of "online" colleges that are money-making machines from which the award isn't worth the paper it is written on.

I see, So but basically if i do find a reputable online college and get a degree from there its the same as having a degree from any traditional college?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yes, but good luck to you finding a reputable online college.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

bionett wrote: »
    I see, So but basically if i do find a reputable online college and get a degree from there its the same as having a degree from any traditional college?

You could checked universities and colleges that offer distance learning

I did a masters in IT which was done completely throughdistance learning didn't meet my lecturers until I graduated

However you are going to have to address your social skills if you intend joining the workforce

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bionett

Stheno wrote: »
    You could checked universities and colleges that offer distance learning

I did a masters in IT which was done completely throughdistance learning didn't meet my lecturers until I graduated

However you are going to have to address your social skills if you intend joining the workforce

I feel by the time i am applicable to get a job in the field, ill have managed to deal with people lol (plus i assume im heading more for an office job area anyways wich is totally fine for me) and thank you for the distance learning advice, it seems like a good option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Anysavage

bionett wrote: »
    I feel by the time i am applicable to get a job in the field, ill have managed to deal with people lol (plus i assume im heading more for an office job area anyways wich is totally fine for me) and thank you for the distance learning advice, it seems like a good option.

There's a firm in Cork that deals with cyber security who I'm sure would be more than helpful if you rang the HR department and asked the questions you need answers to. I can't remember the name of the Co but a Google for a warrior wI'll sort that. Good luck. Also, social skills can be learned with the right support!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Deep_learning

Generally, you need very good customer service skills if you wish to work in cyber security. Nearly all entry level positions in cyber security involve extensive customer interaction. Working at the coalface of customer problems is how most graduates learn their trade.

Advertisement