Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

garra wrote: »
    That loss will knock Spurs, losing like that on the big boy stage.

This year was a great chance for them to really progress in the CL, now they just have the annual "top 4 cup" to play for - and what is the point of that if you aren't going to grab that competition by the balls the following year? Almost feel some sympathy for them, the saps.

In a Liverpool context, that result slightly weakens the opposition for CL QF and will prick Spurs league form bubble too.

Juventus know how to win these games, so I'd probably prefer to draw Spurs tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Probably talking about Moreno

I think in that case it would just read "No one wants the full back" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Careful, you’re not about to post abuse about players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Didn't we beat juve in 2005 in the qtrs juve it is then

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

We'll get more money now that Spurs are out. Hopefully it makes their season fall to pieces now, although that is probably wishful thinking.

shamrock55 wrote: »

That home leg was something else. Talk about coming out of the blocks quick.

PozWSlT.gif

murpho999 wrote: »
    Love these videos.

Amazed how van Dijk was celebrating the goal before Ox had completed the pass to Salah.

Noticed Salah seems to have a ritual/superstition of being last out. He held back for the warm up to be last out and was last out for both halves.

Also nobody touched the This Is Anfield before either half. Has the tradition gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Juventus know how to win these games, so I'd probably prefer to draw Spurs tbh.

Point taken, but I reckon Juve's famed defence were creaking at the hinges tonight and Spurs really fluffed it.. I don't see Chiellini & co handling our front 3 easily and would hope we don't cough up such easy chances to them as Spurs did (not out of the question mind).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

It's great to be talking about who we might get in the Q/F.
    It's been a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Noticed Salah seems to have a ritual/superstition of being last out. He held back for the warm up to be last out and was last out for both halves.

Also nobody touched the This Is Anfield before either half. Has the tradition gone?

Wasn't Klopp meant to have banned the players from touching it until they'd earned the right to? By winning something I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

eyerer wrote: »
    It's great to be talking about who we might get in the Q/F.
    It's been a long time.

Not only that, but i don't fear anyone, whoever it is we're drawn against on our day we can beat anyone.

Wasn't Klopp meant to have banned the players from touching it until they'd earned the right to? By winning something I think?

That makes no sense,its a tradition to acknowledge who your playing for and to give you luck I'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

When's the draw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    When's the draw?

Friday week I think

Friday week I think

Yep, the 16th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

That makes no sense,its a tradition to acknowledge who your playing for and to give you luck I'd imagine
    I dunno mate, here's an article on it
    https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/jurgen-klopp-has-banned-liverpool-players-from-touching-the-this-is-anfield-sign-74565

Salah made a request to be allowed fly to Italy tomorrow to attend Astori's funeral, apparently. He's a top fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Don't they do the draw for the semis on the same day or am I thinking of something else?

Not saying that we'll make the semis....but we will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Now what would be great is having Spurs finish 5th.

That team will definitely break up if the don't get CL next season.

Don't they do the draw for the semis on the same day or am I thinking of something else?

Think you’re right. Friday week is gonna be more exciting than this Saturday.

Think you’re right. Friday week is gonna be more exciting than this Saturday.

Absolutely.

In the CL zone now bigtime.

What's nearly more impressive than the save is the amount of camera angles.

The Karius save from every angle.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/971272988636188672

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Knex. wrote: »
    Salah made a request to be allowed fly to Italy tomorrow to attend Astori's funeral, apparently. He's a top fella.

He can fly too.
    He's amazing
    giphy.gif

Lads I can’t link it but check out the women’s choir out in Liverpool singing Mo Salah The Egyptian King :) a quick google should find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Top notch save. Maybe a glimpse of the potential Klopp sees in him? He has shown an improvement over the past while. Long may it continue!

Now what would be great is having Spurs finish 5th.

That team will definitely break up if the don't get CL next season.

And get knocked out of the FA Cup! :)

If Madrid don't win the CL then Zidane is a goner. Even if they win the CL could still be gone for the league performances like Del Bosque.

Pochettino could be targeted as his replacement. If he went there he would definitely try to bring some players with him although I'd say Levy wouldn't let it happen.

Would Chelsea target Pochettino when Conte goes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Pochettino deserves to be at the top level of the game so if things do turn sour at Tottenham, wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal come sniffing (imagine the meltdown with the latter heh).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Do you think touching a frame for luck also makes sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I touched the sign one time. The season we came second.

I'm pretty sure I ****ed us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Pochettino deserves to be at the top level of the game so if things do turn sour at Tottenham, wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal come sniffing (imagine the meltdown with the latter heh).

Why does he deserve to be at the top level? He’s won nothing.

His team were shown up last night at the crucial moment - not an ounce of substance when it mattered.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    ......... not an ounce of substance when it mattered.

Yeah but in the first leg they showed plenty to come from 2 nil down to be fair.

Augeo wrote: »
    Yeah but in the first leg they showed plenty to come from 2 nil down to be fair.

They’re now out, put to the sword by an aging team by virtue of their experience and nous. Poch had the better team and lost. Won nothing. The assertion that he’s a top coach is baseless.

The two legged CL tie really separates the strong from the weak when it comes to coaches. Wenger’s record in that arena is the most inarguable demonstration of how the game has passed him by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

They’re now out, put to the sword by an aging team by virtue of their experience and nous. Poch had the better team and lost. Won nothing. The assertion that he’s a top coach is baseless.
    Juventus are a better team than Spurs . CL finalists last year.

Pochettino had Spurs set up perfectly getting the most out of that Spurs team & improving players also over the years he has been there.

He has spent little money at Spurs also.

He joins Chelsea or Man Utd in the future & they will win trophies.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Juventus are a better team than Spurs . CL finalists last year.

Pochettino had Spurs set up perfectly getting the most out of that Spurs team & improving players also over the years he has been there.

He has spent little money at Spurs also.

He joins Chelsea or Man Utd in the future & they will win trophies.

Juventus are the wrong side of 30 all over the pitch. I love them, the second half last night was a love letter to #manball. But the bottom line is Mourinho at Porto puts them to the sword last night as would have Benitez at Valencia. Poch isn’t what he’s made out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Did we concede a goal similar to that recently?

Juventus are the wrong side of 30 all over the pitch. I love them, the second half last night was a love letter to #manball. But the bottom line is Mourinho at Porto puts them to the sword last night as would have Benitez at Valencia. Poch isn’t what he’s made out to be.

I would rather Mourinho in Charge of Man Utd than Pochettino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Nevile

Although Lahm could feel hard done by.

• Advertisement

I would rather Mourinho in Charge of Man Utd than Pochettino.

You obviously believe the hype!!

Mourinho 2016/2017 season at Utd resulted in a 69 pt "haul"
    He has them at 62 points now with 9 games to go, 2 pts ahead of us. We're a bit away from having the last laugh yet me thinks.

You obviously believe the hype!!

Don't care about hype. Just think he is a very good coach.

While Mourinho is not the manager he once was.

Not getting the most out of his squad. i.e Pogba,Martial & now Sanchez.

Don't care about hype. Just think he is a very good coach.

While Mourinho is not the manager he once was.

Not getting the most out of his squad. i.e Pogba,Martial & now Sanchez.

He might not be, but he's won the two finals Klopp lost thus far. For sure you can argue the context about the players and budget at disposal, etc; but it speaks to who he is that trading at 2.14 pts per game and being live in two cups is considered a "bad" season.

Poch has got a talented side to play some nice football but they haven't won a single game that really mattered under his tenure. Jose already has two trophies under his belt at Utd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

The two legged CL tie really separates the strong from the weak when it comes to coaches. Wenger’s record in that arena is the most inarguable demonstration of how the game has passed him by.

Thats a bit OTT in fairness no? He's been a fantastic coach for Spurs. Just look at their rise in the last few years. He coached the likes of Trippier and Davies for example, not high profile signings (Burnley and Swansea), to be excellent full backs. His team is playing some great stuff and played us off the park in the majority of the 2 games this season. 3rd, 2nd and fighting for top 2 again in the league this season. Beat the likes of Dortmund and Madrid. Should have got through last night. He's shown himself to be an excellent coach, both with Spurs and Southampton. Its no wonder his name is being mentioned for the Madrid job.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Thats a bit OTT in fairness no? He's been a fantastic coach for Spurs. Just look at their rise in the last few years. He coached the likes of Trippier and Davies for example, not high profile signings (Burnley and Swansea), to be excellent full backs. His team is playing some great stuff and played us off the park in the majority of the 2 games this season. 3rd, 2nd and fighting for top 2 again in the league this season. Beat the likes of Dortmund and Madrid. Should have got through last night. He's shown himself to be an excellent coach, both with Spurs and Southampton. Its no wonder his name is being mentioned for the Madrid job.

They finished second in 2016. Two seasons to push on and win something since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Not anymore there is a separate draw for the semi final / final extra day out for the big wigs

I'd far prefer to play Tottenham under Pochettino, in any competition, than Mourinho and United. Even this weekend I'd be lying if I said I was looking forward to the game.

Playing United in the CL is a nightmare for me. It would be like the inverse of when we played Chelsea all those years ago, in terms of style anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

They finished second in 2016. Two seasons to push on and win something since.

3rd in 2016, 2nd in 2017.....

But if it was that easy to win a trophy we'd all being doing it no?

He might not be, but he's won the two finals Klopp lost thus far. For sure you can argue the context about the players and budget at disposal, etc; but it speaks to who he is that trading at 2.14 pts per game and being live in two cups is considered a "bad" season.

Poch has got a talented side to play some nice football but they haven't won a single game that really mattered under his tenure. Jose already has two trophies under his belt at Utd.

When Spurs lose Pochettino they will struggle to make top 5.

Mourinho is manager of the richest club in the world. Can't compare that to Spurs who before Pochettino arrived made the CL once over 20 years.

Similar with Klopp. We were nearly a midtable club most of the years before he arrived.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    3rd in 2016, 2nd in 2017.....

But if it was that easy to win a trophy we'd all being doing it no?

Oh yeah, I forgot Arsenal pipped them on the final day in 2016.

Klopp got us to two finals and we lost them for various reasons on each day. Winning trophies is bloody hard. That's why it's the key thing to look for if you're suggesting coaches "belong" at the top levels of the game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement