Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

I never got the wankfast that has been happening with Poch, particularly this season. The fact he is put in the same bracket as Conte, Jose, Klopp and Pep is madness to me.

Spurs have a super talented squad yet no trophies to show for it in the almost four seasons he has been in charge. They have a decent chance in the FA Cup but if and when they come up against Chelsea or Utd, they'll lose.

If any one of those managers were in charge of that Spurs team last night, they'd have gone through, imo. They are winners, he will always be an almost-man.

Hopefully they fall out of the top 4 and that team breaks up. Wouldn't mind a couple of their players tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Knex. wrote: »
    I'd far prefer to play Tottenham under Pochettino, in any competition, than Mourinho and United. Even this weekend I'd be lying if I said I was looking forward to the game.

Playing United in the CL is a nightmare for me. It would be like the inverse of when we played Chelsea all those years ago, in terms of style anyway.

This x 1000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I don't agree that the Spurs squad is super talented.

I think they are over achieving with that squad.

I do agree about Spurs being over hyped .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I forgot Arsenal pipped them on the final day in 2016.

Klopp got us to two finals and we lost them for various reasons on each day. Winning trophies is bloody hard. That's why it's the key thing to look for if you're suggesting coaches "belong" at the top levels of the game.

Never said anything about 'belonging'. He just is one of the best coaches in the game at the moment. All you have to do is take a look at the before and after picture. Just because he's won nothing doesnt make him any lesss of a coach imo.
    Klopp has won nothing of note for 6 years. Does it make him any less of a coach now? Is he not regarded as being a top coach in Europe? (despite the fact he's lost 5 major finals in a row)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

I'd far prefer to play Tottenham under Pochettino, in any competition, than Mourinho and United. Even this weekend I'd be lying if I said I was looking forward to the game.

Playing United in the CL is a nightmare for me. It would be like the inverse of when we played Chelsea all those years ago, in terms of style anyway.

I can't believe any Pool fan with a pulse doesn't look forward to the Utd games each season. It's one of the first fixtures supporters of both teams I know look for when the new season is announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

MD1990 wrote: »
    I don't agree that the Spurs squad is super talented.

I think they are over achieving with that squad.

I do agree about Spurs being over hyped .

Are we over achieving as well?

They're at least as good as we are in terms of first 11 and much better in regards depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I can't believe any Pool fan with a pulse doesn't look forward to the Utd games each season. It's one of the first fixtures supporters of both teams I know look for when the new season is announced.

There's a mixture of dread there for me, to go with the excitement, when it comes to Old Trafford games, always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Gbear wrote: »
    Are we over achieving as well?

They're at least as good as we are in terms of first 11 and much better in regards depth.
    We are yes. I think with VVD our first 11 is slightly better than Spurs.

Both both Klopp & Poch are great at improving players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I wasn't looking forward to the last one because of form which didn't matter in the end, really. United clammed up and scuttled away with a point. It's highly possible they could nick a 1-0 at OT, but I still love when the games come around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

We're in the fortuitous position that we can take a loss and still be four points clear of 5th place. There should be no pressure on us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

We're in the fortuitous position that we can take a loss and still be four points clear of 5th place. There should be no pressure on us.

With Chelsea still to play (which can be good or bad)

I think many people are naïve thinking that were guaranteed at least 4th. Right now I feel comfortable with our chances, a loss at old Trafford, and I wouldnt be so comfortable.

Hopefully Chelsea keep up their current form though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

MarkY91 wrote: »

I think many people are naïve thinking that were guaranteed at least 4th. Right now I feel comfortable with our chances, a loss at old Trafford, and I wouldnt be so comfortable.

Why is there always so much pessimism? We're 7 points clear of fifth and playing very well.

What is wrong with feeling confident about securing top 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

We beat Chelsea and we should be ok.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why is there always so much pessimism? We're 7 points clear of fifth and playing very well.

Indeed............ bookies have us at 1/20 to finish in the Top4, add in their margin and whatever Liverpool money weight folk reckon is out there and you are still in the 80% likely chance even if you're the most pessimistic of folk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'd far prefer to play Spurs than Utd in a game that really matters right now.

Augeo wrote: »
    Indeed............ bookies have us at 1/20 to finish in the Top4, add in their margin and whatever Liverpool money weight folk reckon is out there and you are still in the 80% likely chance even if you're the most pessimistic of folk.

Yes, we have a good run in and Chelsea are playing poorly and still have to play us and Spurs. They will drop points along the way.

I think we're certainties for top 4 and it's question of if we can get 2nd place or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I think we're certainties for top 4

Please stop. Asking for a hex. It's 7 points, with loads to play for. We can easily lose this weekend, they win and the gap is then 4, with us needing to go to Stamford Bridge. That's not a certainty.

Chelsea can turn it on, as shown at home to Barca. It's not certain until it's mathematically sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Why does he deserve to be at the top level? He’s won nothing.

His team were shown up last night at the crucial moment - not an ounce of substance when it mattered.

To take a team that was on the perennial for a long time and get them to the point where they've overtaken Arsenal, where they're consistently placing 2nd in the league and competing in the knockouts of the CL.....yeah I think that deserves a lot of respect and managers have gotten bigger gigs for achieving a lot less.

Style of play also deserves massive credit where defence and attack are both given their due. Seems a lot more effective than some managers anyway in identifying areas of weakness and strengthening.

Please stop. Asking for a hex. It's 7 points, with loads to play for. We can easily lose this weekend, they win and the gap is then 4, with us needing to go to Stamford Bridge. That's not a certainty.

Chelsea can turn it on, as shown at home to Barca. It's not certain until it's mathematically sorted.

There's nothing wrong with feeling confident you know. 7 points is a good lead at this stage of the season.

I'm enjoying watching us play at the moment and feel confident when they go into games. It's better than being worried all the time and thinking they're going to drop points.

Also, I'm not superstitious, don't believe in hexes and don't think stating on an Irish internet forum that I think they're certainties will have any impact on a football team playing matches in another country.

I suppose you think City could still lose the title as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Chelsea game is the second last game of the season. Hopefully we still have a 3+ point lead over them by then. If we do we should be fine.

They may catch up with us a bit this weekend if we don't beat United but they have Spurs to play in their next game. Also they still have Burnley, Swansea and Newcastle all away to play. Some tricky games there.

There's nothing wrong with feeling confident you know. 7 points is a good lead at this stage of the season.

I'm enjoying watching us play at the moment and feel confident when they go into games. It's better than being worried all the time and thinking they're going to drop points.

Also, I'm not superstitious, don't believe in hexes and don't think stating on an Irish internet forum that I think they're certainties will have any impact on a football team playing matches in another country.

I suppose you think City could still lose the title as well.

Ah christ I was only joking.

Obviously I don't think you've witchcraft powers :rolleyes:

Calling us a Certainty for top 4 is simply wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Id love us to go all out and get Toby and Son from spurs ,Toby and VVD at the back and Son could play anywhere across the front 3

Ah christ I was only joking.

Obviously I don't think you've witchcraft powers :rolleyes:

Calling us a Certainty for top 4 is simply wrong though.

I think we're as near a certainty as possible. 7 points ahead of Chelsea and 9 games to go.

Chelsea playing poorly and manager at war with his own board. They will definitely drop points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Id love us to go all out and get Toby and Son from spurs ,Toby and VVD at the back and Son could play anywhere across the front 3

from Levy? you on crack?

He'll ask for £200m minimum for the 2.

No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If we end the summer adding Alisson, Jorginho & Lemar that would be a great window.

Ketia coming in as well the spine of the team would be the best a decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Article on the main man, Bobby. Never knew he was cripplingly shy as a kid.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2762935-how-roberto-firmino-overcame-deportation-tears-and-doubters-to-thrive-in-europe
    No one doubted Firmino's potential on the pitch, but he was so shy that some feared his career would never take off. For a time, Firmino was so meek he was reluctant to correct others on even the most basic of misunderstandings, like his name.

"When he came to Figueirense, I was coaching the U-17 side and I spent a week calling him Alberto," Maria recalled, laughing. "Not because I wanted to play any trick and see how he would react—I really thought it was his name.

"I was 'Alberto, do this,' 'do that,' and he never complained about it. The fitness coach (Diogo Moura) corrected me one day and I called [Roberto] aside: 'Diogo told me your name is Roberto, not Alberto; is he right?' He nodded his head and said: 'He's right, mister. it's Roberto.' I couldn't believe it."

Also,
    Marcellus Portella was incensed when he heard what happened. A dentist by profession, Portella was the man who discovered Firmino and became close with his family when young Roberto was with CRB, his club before Figueirense. Portella soon became Roberto's agent and helped steer Firmino to Figueirense.

:D

Lads I can’t link it but check out the women’s choir out in Liverpool singing Mo Salah The Egyptian King :) a quick google should find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

If we end the summer adding Alisson, Jorginho & Lemar that would be a great window.

Ketia coming in as well the spine of the team would be the best a decade.

Great? It would be a monumental window if that happened. We'd have to be somewhere close to being joint-favourites, with City, for the title next season if we did manage to add those 3 players to the current squad and Keita.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Nothing is wrong with feeling confident. Nothing is wrong with feeling realistic neither.

We have to travel to old Trafford and Stamford bridge. A loss on Saturday and we will likely be just 4 points clear. All I'm saying is that 4th is far from secure.

Borini and Suso to hammer a few more nails in tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Why does he deserve to be at the top level? He’s won nothing.

His team were shown up last night at the crucial moment - not an ounce of substance when it mattered.
    You obviously believe the hype!!

This is a far cry for touting Spurs for the imaginary European Super League only a little while back.
    I know you're referring to Poch a fair bit here but you've also referred to the team has being not up to it.

Nothing is wrong with feeling confident. Nothing is wrong with feeling realistic neither.

We have to travel to old Trafford and Stamford bridge. A loss on Saturday and we will likely be just 4 points clear. All I'm saying is that 4th is far from secure.

It's not far from secure though. Only 9 games to go.

The realistic feeling has to be that we're strong favourites to make top 4. This is reflected by the bookies.

I also don't believe that Chelsea will not drop points on the way and I think we'll have top 4 wrapped up by the time we have to play them in the second last game of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

There's a mixture of dread there for me, to go with the excitement, when it comes to Old Trafford games, always.

I know what you mean.

When we were proper Shyte my feelings would always cycle between "I hope we don't get walloped" to "there's a chance we could get a result here despite the odds" and (like now) when we have a really exciting team playing well my thoughts cycle between "can't wait to stuff these ba$tards" to "jay$us I hope we don't have an off day and lose to these ba$tards".

I'm sure it's similar for most pool fans and similar also for utd fans.

It's a bit like knowing you are going on a roller coaster if you don't like them. You know you'll hate bits of it and it scares the bejay$us out of you but then there are those sweet sweet moments which put a huge grin on your face and keep the adrenaline pumping for hours!!

They're in incredible form under Gattuso. Arsenal could be blown away if they don't go in expecting a war.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

murpho999 wrote:
    It's not far from secure though. Only 9 games to go.
    The realistic feeling has to be that we're strong favourites to make top 4. This is reflected by the bookies.

The way we & other PL sides do in the champions league will tell a lot on how comfortable we'll be. I'd be nervous going to Chelsea if we had a 3 point lead & a few injuries.
    9 games is 27 points too it's not 12 or 15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

With the way Arsenal defend these days, Borini’s movement will actually look world class without saying it in jest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

With a seven point lead, our current form versus Chelsea's and both clubs run of fixtures below. That Chelsea game better have nothing in play except us trying to finish second (or dream territory of giving the lads a rest after the midweek semi final victory).

Liverpool
    United (A) - 2nd
    Watford (H) - 9th
    Palace (A) - 18th
    Everton (A) - 11th
    Bournemouth (H) - 12th
    West Brom (A) - 20th
    Stoke (H) - 19th

Chelsea
    Palace (H) - 18th
    Burnley (A) - 7th
    Spurs (H) - 4th
    West Ham (H) - 14th
    Southampton (A) - 17th
    Huddersfield (H) - 15th
    Swansea (A) - 13th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Our last game is home to Brighton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I know, that's both team's run of fixtures until we play. We should be just as far ahead as we are now or further, that game should not have any top 4 implications for us. It may be important to Chelsea to get in depending on how Spurs' results go but for us it should only be important to try and get second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I thought Milan would do well tonight given their form and Arsenals, but nope

• Advertisement

It'll be hard for an Italian team to come to London with 2 away goals against them.

Yyyup.

**** I just had a flashback to Ryan Babble. Suso took a shot and it went out for a throw

Grayditch wrote: »
    It'll be hard for an Italian team to come to London with 2 away goals against them.

Yyyup.
    Juventus got 2 home goals though, Milan have none so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

eyerer wrote: »
    I thought Milan would do well tonight given their form and Arsenals, but nope

Arsenal to win the EL and Wenger to get another contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Arsenal to win the EL and Wenger to get another contract.

Or, Arsenal to win the EL, and Wenger to leave on a positive note a bit more dignity. Wouldn't begrudge him that to be honest after all the years dedicated.

eyerer wrote: »
    Juventus got 2 home goals though, Milan have none so far

That doesn't work with my jibe at all.

Arsenal and Chelsea to win both European cups and United to finish 4th!

Who am I kidding, we’re gonna win the European Cup obvs

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭beya2009

I noticed the Juventus coach was asked after yesterdays game which team he wants to avoid getting and he said Barcelona as he's sick of playing them lol I think we don't fear anyone and would be a bad match up for any of the teams left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Lovely assist from Naby Keita there against Zenit, cannot wait to have him in our midfield. Only Firmino has the same kind of vision for a killer pass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

martyos121 wrote: »
    Lovely assist from Naby Keita there against Zenit, cannot wait to have him in our midfield. Only Firmino has the same kind of vision for a killer pass.

Was just about to post the same :) nice burst through midfield to set up the goal!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement