Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I have not seen the game as no Sky but from all we did not play well. While I hate liverpool losing especially to I
    Utd I feel a bit meh about the loss for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Why didnt Hemderson start? Feel as though he would have really relished today.

He got a dead leg against Porto. Probably still a bit tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Anybody who gets in their feelings about any football analysis from Dunphy needs their head checked. Ask a fan of any of the prem clubs supported here and the response is always the same "he hates us", he's a wind up merchant of the highest order and he's great at it. Thats entertainment baby.

He actually claims he’s a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Fair enough.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    He actually claims he’s a Liverpool fan.

Yeah this is his latest one alright, absolutely barmy he is and to be honest i love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

NukaCola wrote: »
    They were 2-0 up after 20 minutes, what did you want them to do, keep attacking opening up to us and playing into our hands? They didn't need to keep him busy. They got their two goals and are well able to defend.

Two goals were also against run of play, geez.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Anybody who gets in their feelings about any football analysis from Dunphy needs their head checked. Ask a fan of any of the prem clubs supported here and the response is always the same "he hates us", he's a wind up merchant of the highest order and he's great at it. Thats entertainment baby.

He's a spoofer end of. There is no mystery or genius to it. And as Gilesey would say " and good luck to him"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I have not seen the game as no Sky but from all we did not play well. While I hate liverpool losing especially to I
    Utd I feel a bit meh about the loss for some reason

Why wouldn't it be meh when you can't be bothered to even watch it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I can only hope a player like Kieta could make the difference in a game like that.

Our first half was so sloppy and horrible to watch. Our options from the bench really showed up as thin today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Pretty much as I expected. Our defence, whlie much better than pre-Christmas, is still a long way off top four quality., even with VVD. But one man can;t fix everything and I think we all knew this.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

We had 70% of possession
    13 corners to their 1
    14 shots to their 5
    Even Karius was in their half at times

Yes they won, and they will gather their points but Barca, Real, Psg, Liverpool would be embarrassed to play the way they do. It won the day, but that's about all they won or will win playing like that.

Thats a bonkers comment to be fair. Football is a results business and it really is irrelevant how pretty you play if you don’t get the results.

You can trot out stats on the match all day long but the simple fact with all the corners, possession and “shots” that you had even after the OG when you were chasing the game you did not have a single shot on target in the second half.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I can only hope a player like Kieta could make the difference in a game like that.

Our first half was so sloppy and horrible to watch. Our options from the bench really showed up as thin today.

He looked good during the week. Very tidy player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Karius had nothing to do either. Did not need to make a single save.

Apart from two shots against Rashford!

But he didn't really have a chance with either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Tippex wrote: »
    Thats a bonkers comment to be fair. Football is a results business and it really is irrelevant how pretty you play if you don’t get the results.

You can trot out stats on the match all day long but the simple fact with all the corners, possession and “shots” that you had even after the OG when you were chasing the game you did not have a single shot on target in the second half.

You have met Toby before haven't you? Bonkers is his thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Tippex wrote: »

If we defend their two goals, and ticked that own goal when it was all Liverpool, people would say we deserved it. We dominated possession, corners, shots.
    Only thing that matters is goals, and their two goals were down to our bad defending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Pretty much as I expected. Our defence, whlie much better than pre-Christmas, is still a long way off top four quality., even with VVD. But one man can;t fix everything and I think we all knew this.

I had admired your defence in the lead in. Was Matip injured/not fully fit? I found he and VVD seemed to be doing OK together.

Why wouldn't it be meh when you can't be bothered to even watch it!

Sick at home and have no Sky Sports. That is why I could not watch it. Some people may not be able to see the game for reason but ya go with the your not a real fan angle. Brilliant m%₩%=t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

We need to tweak our play when we come up against the better teams who will set up similar to United. We can break down Newcastles, West Ham etc who sit deep but a well drilled team with better players will stop us.

Next round of the Champions League, I don't want United or Juventus, you can just see both tactically outsmarting us over two legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Karius had nothing to do either. Did not need to make a single save.

He made a bloody great tackle near the halfway line to scupper a counter attack.....

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Not buying it, he has given some token praise but always qualified it saying the opposition is hopeless. Mark my words he'll be back on klopps case after this going on about not being able to bt Swansea whilst neglecting the 18 game unbeaten run leading up to it

Don't be taken in by him. A true spoofer

I really don't care what Dunphy or most pundits say as they have no impact on the team.

I only watch Dunphy for entertainment value but he was very positive about Liverpool after the Porto first leg.

It doesn't matter anyway.

• Advertisement

Sick at home and have no Sky Sports. That is why I could not watch it. Some people may not be able to see the game for reason but ya go with the your not a real fan angle. Brilliant m%₩%=t

I didn't mention a thing about being a real fan or not. You've just took it up that way.

If you have a phone or laptop and Broadband then you can easily watch any game these days.

You don't need sky sports in fact fck paying for Sky Sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Not berating you but not having Sky isn’t a good reason not to watch Liverpool. Any streams on Reddit will have you watching them every time and for free too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Fromvert wrote: »
    We need to tweak our play when we come up against the better teams who will set up similar to United. We can break down Newcastles, West Ham etc who sit deep but a well drilled team with better players will stop us.

Next round of the Champions League, I don't want United or Juventus, you can just see both tactically outsmarting us over two legs.

I dont know, we've done very well with our approach.....I doubt Clyne gets turned as easily as TAA does for the first for example and if that doesn't happen its probably a different game.....I think we have a personnel issue more than a system issue. Needing a goal and turning to Solanke is another example.

But I do agree, in a two legged tie against an experienced strong side we probably do need something else. Generally our approach works well though.

I didn't mention a thing about being a real fan or not. You've just took it up that way.

If you have a phone or laptop and Broadband then you can easily watch any game these days.

You don't need sky sports in fact fck paying for Sky Sports.

That is exactly what you were insinuating and you know it, no broadband when I am at my parents house.

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Not berating you but not having Sky isn’t a good reason not to watch Liverpool. Any streams on Reddit will have you watching them every time and for free too!

No broadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

If we defend their two goals, and ticked that own goal when it was all Liverpool, people would say we deserved it. We dominated possession, corners, shots.
    Only thing that matters is goals, and their two goals were down to our bad defending.

Ok by your logic the 2 utd goals were because of bad defending (eventhough they still needed to be finished) so if we take the same logic and remove the OG, you never actually looked like scoring the second half and could likely have played anothe hour and not have had a shot on target.

And yes the only thing that matters is goals and the simple fact is UTD converted the chances they had. Liverpool did not create any real chances.

astradave wrote: »
    I thought it was a great game to watch, though my heart was beating so fast toward the end and I was certain ye were going to equalise.

Ye were let down by a mixture of poor passing and decision making in the final third and a very resolute defensive display by us.

For the two goals I thought Lovern, was very poor but Rashford took TAA out of the game for the first one. It was obvious after the first that we were targeting those two and I thought Klopp was very naive in not doubling up on Lukaku from the goal kicks/long balls.

Anyways as I said it was a good game overall and a much better watch from the last 3 or 4 games between them. Ye will have no problem getting top 4 anyways as ye have a very good run in.

Funny how games can look so different depending on who you support, I didn't enjoy the game at all, Liverpool were useless and to me they never looked like scoring an equaliser while you felt it was coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭beya2009

Someone on the debate said we haven't missed coutinho to date but I wonder if some of his magic would have made a difference today. I doubt it as we were really wasteful in the find third and unless we had a messi nothing would have changed.

That is exactly what you were insinuating and you know it, no broadband when I am at my parents house.

Relax, I'm just pointing out that of course you'd be feeling meh when you didn't 'endure' the game and get worked up by how inept we were playing, not trying to offend you.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Disappointing result. Didn’t think Klopp set up well enough given that we all knew what Mourinho was going to do.

At the end of the day though I am much happier to have this manager and set of players than what United have. Future looks much brighter but a big transfer window can change that obviously

• Advertisement

Relax, I'm just pointing out that of course you'd be feeling meh when you didn't 'endure' the game and get worked up by how inept we were playing, not trying to offend you.

I can say normally when Liverpool are playing regardless if I see, hear or neither a loss gets to me which is why bot felling the same for this game is unusual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

No broadband

Fair enough

NukaCola wrote: »
    I dont know, we've done very well with our approach.....I doubt Clyne gets turned as easily as TAA does for the first for example and if that doesn't happen its probably a different game.....I think we have a personnel issue more than a system issue. Needing a goal and turning to Solanke is another example.

But I do agree, in a two legged tie against an experienced strong side we probably do need something else. Generally our approach works well though.

It'll probably be about 6 games a season where a tweaked approach will be needed and I'd like to see it happen. We never really target other teams strongest attacker/playmaker and try to nullify them, it's something that is required in tight games.

Today United took Salah out of the game. Young played great but they also doubled up on him a lot. United's way of attack was through Lukaku but we didn't have a plan to stop it but Klopp lamented about it afterwards. Some proactive defensive tactics would be nice to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Better defensive display on the day won out,but the ref gave nothing and every fall from them was a foul,Trent is young and will learn,lovren lost a couple of headers,made a few great blocks,went a bit nuts for 30seconds, typical really. Move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Very happy with Karius today,

Not much he could have done for the goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Better defensive display on the day won out,but the ref gave nothing and every fall from them was a foul,Trent is young and will learn,lovren lost a couple of headers,made a few great blocks,went a bit nuts for 30seconds, typical really. Move on

Trent was very poor for the first goal. You have to anticipate that Lukaku will win some long balls with flick ons. He left Rashford inside him. Criminal but he's still very young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Teams target our right backs TAA/Gomez now as they are seen as the new Moreno's and they are right.

When Clyne played he wasn't great going forward but he defended and wasn't singled out.

Teams don't double up and attack our left side anymore as Robertson knows how to defend.

We can all see the talent and weaknesses TAA & Gomez have but we need experienced players now if we are to reach the next level no more blooding kids use the loan system and cup games for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Vicxas wrote: »
    Very happy with Karius today,

Not much he could have done for the goals.

Really enjoyed the way he flattened Fellaini with that punch, and also how he was confident enough to come to nearly the halfway line to stop that counter attack at the end.

Couldn't have done anything with the goals. Though he was fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

He shouldn't have played in that game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Harry Wilson with another assist for Hull in a 3-3 thriller. Grujic playing in 3-1 for Cardiff, Ojo on bench for Fulham, Ejaria started for doomed Dunderland who are down to 10.

Teams target our right backs TAA/Gomez now as they are seen as the new Moreno's and they are right.

When Clyne played he wasn't great going forward but he defended and wasn't singled out.

Teams don't double up and attack our left side anymore as Robertson knows how to defend.

We can all see the talent and weaknesses TAA & Gomez have but we need experienced players now if we are to reach the next level no more blooding kids use the loan system and cup games for that.

This too, how many winning teams have 19/20 year olds getting played in defence as regularly as we do? There's a reason teams avoid it as being a good defender is about reading the game learnt through experience.

We've the guts of a very good team, we can't miss another opportunity of taking the next step by not addressing our weaknesses because whether we like it or not, bigger clubs will be coming looking for Salah and Firmino soon.

I would put Gomez and TAA in a different category.

They have had a weakness exposed in certain situations but not done any suicidal brain dead manoeuvres that would put him in the Moreno or Lovren category.
    Don't forget Moreno is 25 and should be a fully developed player.

TAA is 19 and Gomez is 20 and they already at a high level and they will develop into top players and no need to be banished for errors that are not as big as Moreno's or Lovren's in the past.

Harry Wilson with another assist for Hull in a 3-3 thriller. Grujic playing in 3-1 for Cardiff, Ojo on bench for Fulham, Ejaria started for doomed Dunderland who are down to 10.

and now he's scored 4-3! (edit the match winner)

Thats two goals and two assists, both the goals were the winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

TAA/Gomez are fine backups and will be that when Clyne comes back in. Young players can be brought through, they need to be managed and their games selected to give them a good chance. The experience both TAA and Gomez gained this season is more than they would get on loan at any other club.

If their minutes are reduced drastically then a loan is a good option, but I think they've done excellently overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

murpho999 wrote: »

They have had a weakness exposed in certain situations but not done any suicidal brain dead manoeuvres that would put him in the Moreno or Lovren category.

TAA is 19 and Gomez is 20 and they already at a high level and they will develop into top players and no need to be banished for errors that are not as big as Moreno's or Lovren's in the past.

If Moreno had let Rashford free like TAA did today he would be slaughtered. TAA was poor but he is young.

Look at Young and Valencia today. Experienced pros who did very good jobs and stayed switched on when it mattered.

I think TAA will eventually be moved into midfield and Gomez a CB. I'm interested to see how Clyne does when he comes back though.

• Advertisement

No one should point a finger at the right backs, they've done really well having not expected to be anything other than the support act last summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Agreed.
    And we have 3 RBs in the squad.
    No need to focus on that position unless we off load first.
    It’d be great if we could go out and get someone, but the mid area needs strengthening (Coutinho gone, Can going, Henderson’s injuries, Milner a year older, Lallana injuries).
    And we need more than Solanke as an option.

and now he's scored 4-3! (edit the match winner)

Thats two goals and two assists, both the goals were the winners.

Good to see him doing well but it'll be tough for him to have a future at Liverpool.

I'm expecting both TAA and Gomez to have long and excellent futures with us, whereas I expect Moreno to be gone this time next year. There's a world of difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Didn’t see the match , were utd parking the bus or did they actually play football ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement