Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

astradave wrote: »
    Just on this as I’ve seen a few people mentioning it now, if he gives a Peno it’s only a yellow card, he can’t give a red unless it’s for Voilent conduct/reckless challenge in the box.. they done away with the Peno and red card rule..

Not that I agree with it as a Peno anyways, but that has already been argued. Better to just move on now, I don’t think the result will have any effect on Liverpool failing to get Top 4 anyways. They probably have the handiest run in out of the 4 teams

Can still be a red if the defender stops a clear goal scoring chance and not making a genuine attempt to play the ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

limnam wrote: »
    Hopefully there'll be some explanation why Klopp wasn't sent to the stands.

For screaming at Lovren?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I think the officials were going to do something until they realised he was shouting at Lovren and not them, alright. Then they just decided to let that go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Klopp still carries that wishful thinking naivety trait. To be so exposed in defence away to United is simply wrong approach. Would love to have sat deep and won it 0-1 . Anyway we'll have revenge in few weeks, over two legs we'll win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Bowlardo wrote: »
    No one ever gets a peno in OT.

Mark Clattenburg awarded 3 penalties to Liverpool in the Old Trafford fixture back in 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Can still be a red if the defender stops a clear goal scoring chance and not making a genuine attempt to play the ball

I’m not sure about that as the point was made when altering the rule that by getting the penalty you are getting a clear goal scoring chance in place of that so you don’t need to have a red too, so the yellow is sufficient.

Edit: just re-read the rules there, hold my hand up about the not playing the ball. You are right, holding and pulling is a sending off offence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I’m not sure about that as the point was made when altering the rule that by getting the penalty you are getting a clear goal scoring chance in place of that so you don’t need to have a red too, so the yellow is sufficient.

I think the rule is that if the defender fouls the attacker in a genuine attempt to play the ball then it results in a yellow card and a penalty.

But if the defender makes no attempt for the ball and just trips the player or pulls him to the ground then a red card can still be given along with the penalty. Happened to Koscielny on Lewandowski last year in the CL.

EDIT: Yeah just found this from a BBC article on the topic
    The previous 'triple-punishment' rule required a red card - and therefore a suspension - as well as the award of a penalty under those circumstances.

However, players committing accidental fouls that deny a goalscoring chance will now be cautioned instead.

But deliberate fouls will still incur a red card.

Those include holding, pulling or pushing, not playing the ball, serious foul play, violent conduct or deliberate handball in order to deny a goalscoring opportunity.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36047575

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Klopp still carries that wishful thinking naivety trait. To be so exposed in defence away to United is simply wrong approach. Would love to have sat deep and won it 0-1 . Anyway we'll have revenge in few weeks, over two legs we'll win.

I don't know. There's no excuse for dealing with long balls so horrificly so we can't blame naivety of tactics.

I think the rule is that if the defender fouls the attacker in a genuine attempt to play the ball then it results in a yellow card and a penalty.

But if the defender makes no attempt for the ball and just trips the player or pulls him to the ground then a red card can still be given along with the penalty. Happened to Koscielny on Lewandowski last year in the CL.

Yeah I re-read it and edited my post..

Here’s the rule book for this season if ye want it btw, save searching for articles and the like

https://football-technology.fifa.com/media/1245/lotg_17_18_en.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

For screaming at Lovren?

Leaving a technical area to run down the pitch screaming at anyone...

The fact it was his own player is not relevant.

I'm sure Jose kicked his own water bottle...

• Advertisement

Was the draw made?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

The fact it was his own player is not relevant.
    Considering the ref did nothing, it was highly relevant.

Considering the ref did nothing, it was highly relevant.

The only thing that seems to be relevant is it was klopp and not Jose....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

The Man U mantra....'But what if Jose did it'.

Whatever about Jose, do you not agree that all managers should be held to the same rules?

Edit: and that’s coming from someone who doesn’t really care about what Klopp did yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

One is petulant,the other is passion. ;)

Look at Pep confronting officials on the pitch, nothing done. Jose was right with his media darlings comments.
    Speaking of Jose,his scribbling early in the game was picked up and analysed, basically ball up to Lukaku and pick up the 2nd ball,no mystery that he targeted Lovren and put Rashford behind him against a rookie full back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

When do the Superthreads reopen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Quandary wrote: »
    Mark Clattenburg awarded 3 penalties to Liverpool in the Old Trafford fixture back in 2014.

Which clearly worked a treat as here we are 4 years later still mentioning Mark Clattenburg by name :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

#clatts

• Advertisement

A £40m bid for Butland being denied.

I hope the fcuk he isn't the keeper target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

When do the Superthreads reopen?

They are open. You posted in it.

A £40m bid for Butland being denied.

I hope the fcuk he isn't the keeper target.

He’s only bigged up because he is English, while he is decent enough, I don’t think he would be much of an upgrade on a confident Karius. Alisson or Oblak is where ye should be putting the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

We need to be aiming higher than Butland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

He’s only bigged up because he is English, while he is decent enough, I don’t think he would be much of an upgrade on a confident Karius. Alisson or Oblak is where ye should be putting the money

Karius is actually improving tbf. The actual run of games seems to be helping, I had thought him worse than Mignolet. His decision making especially improving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

One is petulant,the other is passion. ;)

Look at Pep confronting officials on the pitch, nothing done. Jose was right with his media darlings comments.
    Speaking of Jose,his scribbling early in the game was picked up and analysed, basically ball up to Lukaku and pick up the 2nd ball,no mystery that he targeted Lovren and put Rashford behind him against a rookie full back.

Where’d you see that?

• Advertisement

• pjohnson wrote: »
    Karius is actually improving tbf. The actual run of games seems to be helping, I had thought him worse than Mignolet. His decision making especially improving.

He kept Liverpool in it yesterday in the second half when essentially Utd had Liverpool caught on the break and would of scored only for his quick reaction to come off his line and clear.

He was nearly at the half way line when he booted it clear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Jose did leave his technical area durning yesterday’s game and ref did nothing so only right he did nothing with Klopp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Can I get a proper answer to my question?

Blondie919 wrote: »

About the ref? I’m sure they have a review system alright, as we have seen refs being demoted before. But In fairness who do they replace him with. The refs down the leagues are just as bad if not worse. Pawson mist be highly thought there though as they gave him one of the biggest games of the season

We are told all officials meet up after the weekend games finish at their headquarters and they go over all decisions and made in the weekend games that are deemed questionable.

They never release the results of these just like the officials are not allowed to talk to the media.

Neville and Carra did an episode on it when they went to train with them for a day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

We are told all officials meet up after the weekend games finish at their headquarters and they go over all decisions and made in the weekend games that are deemed questionable.

They never release the results of these just like the officials are not allowed to talk to the media.

Neville and Carra did an episode on it when they went to train with them for a day.

Thanks for the answers. Seems strange that in a professional sport/job you can be bad at it but still get to do it. If I keep making mistakes in my job I’ll be out the door fairly swiftly!

Thanks for the answers. Seems strange that in a professional sport/job you can be bad at it but still get to do it. If I keep making mistakes in my job I’ll be out the door fairly swiftly!

We'd have no referees left.

I'd do ref swap - say Germany and England and see what happens! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

We had 70% of possession
    13 corners to their 1
    14 shots to their 5
    Even Karius was in their half at times

Yes they won, and they will gather their points but Barca, Real, Psg, Liverpool would be embarrassed to play the way they do. It won the day, but that's about all they won or will win playing like that.

You must have been disgusted with the teams Rafa put out and the football they played when he was there. I never once heard a liverpool fan complain about the style of football his teams played as it won a champions league. Bottom line is Mourinho schooled Klopp on how to win that game. While I'm no fan of Mourinho he knows how to win ugly. It's something that Klopp cannot do

It's funny really the game was a total 6 pointer on who will finish second probably 15 plus points behind City.

Only to the obsessed.

Only to the obsessed.

Show me a fan who isn't Ray.

You must have been disgusted with the teams Rafa put out and the football they played when he was there.
    The football that hammered Utd at OT and Real at Anfield? Yeah, real disgusted.
    I never once heard a liverpool fan complain about the style of football his teams played as it won a champions league.
    Yeah, really should have gone all out on total football with players like Biscan, Baros, Cisse, Traoré......
    Jose played defensively with Porto and Inter. They weren't complaining either when they won the CL.
    Bottom line is Mourinho schooled Klopp on how to win that game. While I'm no fan of Mourinho he knows how to win ugly. It's something that Klopp cannot do
    Yet Klopp, with far less resources has a superior record than Jose in their head to heads. And Utd din't win ugly yesterday; they scored 2 good goals and defended very well.

A fan not acting obsessed in another teams thread..... plenty of examples.

A fan not acting obsessed in another teams thread..... plenty of examples.

Yeah, because I post here so often :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yeah, because I post here so often :rolleyes:
    The obsession continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Yet Klopp, with far less resources has a superior record than Jose in their head to heads. And Utd din't win ugly yesterday; they scored 2 good goals and defended very well.

Exactly this. I thought Utd were very good yesterday, more attacking than normal. They targeted an obvious weakness, namely the right side of Pool's defence and scored twice from it. They then defended well for the remainder, while minimizing the effectiveness of our strength (the front 3) by not allowing them any space. The perfect game plan by Jose - it's the reason why he's a top manager, as much as I dislike the moany git.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My name is not Ray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Bournemouth 1-0 Spurs. Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

They have unreal fitness and determination so I won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

1-1 now but Kane off injured for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Are there any Liverpool fans in here ? The game was yesterday and it was one game ! City are still going to win the league. After that it's CL places and both Liverpool and Utd are on course for that.

Well this is now officially a **** weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Well this is now officially a **** weekend.

Hardly unexpected though that Spurs, Chelsea and arsenal would win their respective games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Damien360 wrote: »
    Are there any Liverpool fans in here ? The game was yesterday and it was one game ! City are still going to win the league. After that it's CL places and both Liverpool and Utd are on course for that.

It's quiet cause I think most realise whilst yesterday was didsapointing we are still very much on course, 4 points ahead of 4th place and spurs and Chelsea play eachother next. Need a big response at home to Watford next Saturday now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement