Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Nobody is defending him from what I see, they are calling it disgusting behaviour

There are plenty of people downplaying, mitigating it, engaging in whataboutery.

Carragher was always one of my favourite Liverpool players for his give everything approach - this is very dissapointing - no excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Nobody is defending him from what I see, they are calling it disgusting behaviour

There are plenty of people downplaying, mitigating it, engaging in whataboutery.

Carragher was always one of my favourite Liverpool players for his give everything approach - this is very dissapointing - no excuses.
    He'll get the sack and rightly so, I just can't believe how stupid he is , so so stupid in this day and age,
    I hope Saturday put an end to the people thinking Trent is our best right back, been saying for ages he's our 3rd best right full (has the highest ceiling of the 3) and should only play in games against the lower clubs, His positioning is awful .
    Strange how Gomez has lost his place so quickly,
    Was Henderson injured ? we really missed his engine Saturday plus he was our best midfielder in the 2 previous Prem games,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Really poor form from Carragher... He misjudged the air drag relative to the speed they were moving, probably ended up spitting on his own car the clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I was only breaking down how crap Lovren was for their first goal to my mates in the pub, when he went and fecking reenacted it for me for their 2nd.

I'm still livid with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Lovren's strength in the air against Lukaku could be best described as flaccid

How VVD wasn't assigned to track Lukaku thought must be down to Klopp. He dropped the ball on that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

x43r0 wrote: »

How VVD wasn't assigned to track Lukaku thought must be down to Klopp. He dropped the ball on that one

or Lukaku simply made sure he was on Lovren?

to be fair, Lovren ate Lukaku up and spat him out pretty much any time they've played in the last couple of seasons. Lukaku was simply better on Saturday, and José got people around him at the right times, and in the right places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

x43r0 wrote: »

Wont Lukaku just stick to Lovren instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

ricero wrote: »
    I am heading to New York during easter and am looking forward to visiting Carraghers pub in times square.

Just thought i would post that. **** the faux outrage !

Please don't blame FSG when you are paying $8 for a small house salad, $7 for a portion of fries and $5 for a side of baked beans in Carragher's + the 8.875% sales tax + the expected 20% tip on top!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

It was obvious what tactics were being employed quite early in the match, before the goals were scored. If Lovern was struggling vs Lukaku then an in-game tactical change should have been actioned post-haste, or at least certainly after the first goal went in. I don't necessarily blame TAA or Lovern but would have liked to have seen an adjustment from Klopp - dropping someone from the midfield to double up on Lukaku etc.

That said, we're doing the majority of stuff right and Liverpool are in a much better place on the pitch and behind the scenes since Klopp came along so it's hard to be too upset about the odd hiccup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

J Mysterio wrote: »

Yes it is vile and disgusting thing to do, but the way certain users on here have jumped on it to point score is really a joke but would not have expected anything less.

• Advertisement

SM01 wrote: »
    It was obvious what tactics were being employed quite early in the match, before the goals were scored. If Lovern was struggling vs Lukaku then an in-game tactical change should have been actioned post-haste, or at least certainly after the first goal went in. I don't necessarily blame TAA or Lovern but would have liked to have seen an adjustment from Klopp - dropping someone from the midfield to double up on Lukaku etc.

That said, we're doing the majority of stuff right and Liverpool are in a much better place on the pitch and behind the scenes since Klopp came along so it's hard to be too upset about the odd hiccup.
    I heard Lovern only lost 2 headers all game and both caused goals, that mental,
    Trent I blame more cause lets be honest defenders lose header's for flick on's in every game up and down the country all weekend that don't lead to goals.

I find it hard to blame either. Lukaku is a more physically imposing player than Lovern. The latter is going to loose some of those contests, it's a given. Trent is a green (talented) youngster. He's still learning. Tactical compensations necessary in both instances.

SM01 wrote: »
    I find it hard to blame either. Lukaku is a more physically imposing player than Lovern. The latter is going to loose some of those contests, it's a given. Trent is a green (talented) youngster. He's still learning. Tactical compensations necessary in both instances.
    Ye Trent needs to understand there is no way Lovern is winning 100% of them headers he need to stay switched on and he didn't

Rashford done Trent a number of times before the 1st goal. It was plainly obvious that was where United were going to get us.

The tactics were so simple, attack us where we were weakest. A young inexperienced RB and a dodgy CB.

"VVD what a waste of £75m", "VVD a fraud" were just 2 of the texts I got from Liverpool fans during the match. Such lazy analysis, if you bothered to watch the game there was nothing VVD could do about either goal. Lovren proved once again he's not good enough. Dont think Klopp fanices Matip either so a new CB to partner VVD is definitely on the shopping list this summer.

I am heading to New York during easter and am looking forward to visiting Carraghers pub in times square.

Just thought i would post that. **** the faux outrage !

Faux outrage? He spat at a teenage girl. Thats scummy behaviour. Club legend no doubt but you cant condone that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

rob316 wrote: »
    Rashford done Trent a number of times before the 1st goal. It was plainly obvious that was where United were going to get us.

The tactics were so simple, attack us where we were weakest. A young inexperienced RB and a dodgy CB.

"VVD what a waste of £75m", "VVD a fraud" were just 2 of the texts I got from Liverpool fans during the match. Such lazy analysis, if you bothered to watch the game there was nothing VVD could do about either goal. Lovren proved once again he's not good enough. Dont think Klopp fanices Matip either so a new CB to partner VVD is definitely on the shopping list this summer.

Sunday World gave VVD 4/10 and said Lukaku bullied him all game. Must been watching a different game to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭beya2009

I knew Richard Keys just couldn't help himself so had to tweet about the Carragher incident lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

beya2009 wrote: »
    I knew Richard Keys just couldn't help himself so had to tweet about the Carragher incident lol

The funny thing is if Sky sack him he'll be off to work for beIN SPORTS more than likely sitting beside Keys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

beya2009 wrote: »

Was it a prediction that he'd be sacked because if so, Carragher is probably looking at a promotion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Please don't blame FSG when you are paying $8 for a small house salad, $7 for a portion of fries and $5 for a side of baked beans in Carragher's + the 8.875% sales tax + the expected 20% tip on top!! ;)

salad is for wussies.

Give me a rib-eye steak !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

salad is for wussies.

Give me a rib-eye steak !

You'll probably need some of the Coutinho money to splash out on a rib-eye! :D

Carragher is out of tonight's MNF but is live on Sky News @ 2pm apparently.

I predict it'll be a combo of regret/self flagellation by Carragher tempered with a fair degree of contributory goading by the father in the other car and a claim (true or otherwise) that he didn't see anyone in the passenger seat and would never have spat if he knew there was a girl/kid in the car.

This will either be a set piece by Sky and Carragher which seeks to quickly put it to bed so he can, perhaps after a few weeks off and attendance at some sort of anger management treatment, return as a star pundit with Sky Sports or it's going to be a spit roasting he won't survive and he'll resign afterwards.

30 minutes to go. I'd say he's $hitting himself right now!!

Carragher is out of tonight's MNF but is live on Sky News @ 2pm apparently.

I predict it'll be a combo of regret/self flagellation tempered with a fair degree of contributory goading by the father in the other car and that he didn't see anyone in the passenger seat.

This will either be a set piece by Sky and Carragher which seeks to quickly put it to bed so he can, perhaps after a few weeks off and attendance at some sort of anger management course, return as a start pundit with Sky Sports or it's going to be a spit roasting he won't survive and he'll resign afterwards.

30 minutes to go. I'd say he's $hitting himself right now!!

Will his public appearances be all cancelled around the country

Will his public appearances be all cancelled around the country

I'd say it's too early to say. They could turn into complete circuses if this isn't dealt with adequately and quickly!!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Faux outrage? He spat at a teenage girl. Thats scummy behaviour. Club legend no doubt but you cant condone that.

Ridiculous hyperbole. He didn't spit AT the 14 year old. That's tabloid headline stuff.

Regardless, I expect him to be sacked, and he has no one to blame but himself for his reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I'd say it's too early to say. They could turn into complete circuses if this isn't dealt with adequately and quickly!!

Purely as a footballing fan you would hope they can get it under control quickly and normal service resumes. Carragher/Neville combination is by far the most popular combo on TV regarding football analysis.

Goes without saying what he did was awful, we've all seen the video and the Dad recording came across like a right idiot who's only interest was getting something good to sell to the rags, it's disappointing that Carragher fell for it and to that extent.

The English media are bad enough so giving them ammunition like that will cause a circus. He will no doubt say something about taking some time away to reflect and a public apology, but hopefully we see his return not too far away.

If anyone's interested, the excellent @SwissRamble just did a tweet thread on Twitter about LFC financials. Apologies but i don't know how to link tweets on mobile. Simple to find on Twitter though.

5starpool wrote: »
    Ridiculous hyperbole. He didn't spit AT the 14 year old. That's tabloid headline stuff.

Regardless, I expect him to be sacked, and he has no one to blame but himself for his reaction.

Dress it up how you like. spitting at someone is ****ing horrible.

Ahh that other thread is just getting OTT now, evening trying to use Hillsborough now but not unexpected from said users

Well he's suspended from Sky. Standard enough.

His apology sounds / feels genuine but I know lot's of people will say its rehearsed and he's just playing a role to mitigate what he did and move on.

He's basically making the case to save his job. Saying he hopes 5 seconds of madness doesn't outweigh the last 25 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Can't wait for his Twitter banter with Gary now.

No excuses offered by Carragher of multiple goading by the father or trying to mitigate by saying he didn't see the 14 year old. He's taking it on the chin.

He might get through it and keep his job but I'd say at best its 50:50.

Dress it up how you like. spitting at someone is ****ing horrible.

I wasn't dressing it up in any way. I just said he didn't spit at her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Funnily enough I can't remember Kirsty Gallagher getting a roasting on Sky for drink driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Funnily enough I can't remember Kirsty Gallagher getting a roasting on Sky for drink driving.

You were probably pissed at the time Tipsy :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm kind of gutted that Harry Kane seems to have a bad injury. This is why a hate fantasy football. Seriously though wouldn't wish an injury a player but this is bad news for Spurs.

It's everything about profile here.

From a PR crisis management perspective that's really how it should be. Accept his behaviour was inexcusable and apologise.

That the father behaved in the way that he did is not really something for addressing today. Further down the line though the goading and incendiary behaviour towards strangers (even celebrities) isn't acceptable either and the excuse that it's banter doesn't wash. But that's for another day.

Well he's suspended from Sky. Standard enough.

His apology sounds / feels genuine but I know lot's of people will say its rehearsed and he's just playing a role to mitigate what he did and move on.

He's basically making the case to save his job. Saying he hopes 5 seconds of madness doesn't outweigh the last 25 years.

Still annoyed he got himself into this. I agree that what he did was disgusting and maybe there was more to the video we saw but you would expect him to have more control, getting goaded for reactions is something he is probably well sued of, doesn't defend the actions of the father who came across like a right arsehole. Daughter said she was spit on, and he didn't bother even asking her how she was just trying to get it on camera and reiterate what Carragher did, knew he got what he wanted. Feel bad for her to be honest, the innocent party caught in the middle.

I do hope it doesn't ruin his career, in terms of his profession he is one of the best out there at the moment, knowledgeable, entertaining and does his best to be neutral in his opinions. If it was a different analyst I would think they'd find themselves looking for work with a different station, but I do believe Carragher can come back from this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ahh that other thread is just getting OTT now, evening trying to use Hillsborough now but not unexpected from said users

Ah i wouldn't even get involved in that thread. Lot's of people there who are delighted this happened. They weren't getting bites in here because everyone is pretty much on the same page that it's scummy behaviour and he deserves whatever punishment he gets so a new thread was created.

There's nothing much really much else to say on the incident. He should have kept the window up and concentrated on the road. It was a moment of madness from him and i'm sure he doesn't even know himself why he did what he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

For future reference Pawson has reffed Liverpool 4 times this season.

Wins 0 Draws 2 Losses 2

monkey9 wrote: »
    Ah i wouldn't even get involved in that thread. Lot's of people there who are delighted this happened. They weren't getting bites in here because everyone is pretty much on the same page that it's scummy behaviour and he deserves whatever punishment he gets so a new thread was created.

There's nothing much really much else to say on the incident. He should have kept the window up and concentrated on the road. It was a moment of madness from him and i'm sure he doesn't even know himself why he did what he did.

Yea and it is all from the usual suspects are we really surprised.

Wins 0 Draws 2 Losses 2

Shh others will hold it against you if you comment on the ref, Liverpool fans on here are not allowed to have thoughts on the ref it seems

Wins 0 Draws 2 Losses 2

Was it not 5 times. The win in August versus Arsenal (4-0)

So this season 5 games:
    Wins 1 Draws 2 Losses 2

In his entire career as a ref 17 times
    Wins 9 Draws 4 Losses 4

Listen I agree with the opinion that some referees do not suit some teams, mainly as you will see refs view incidents differently throughout the league, and sometimes can even dictate the pace a little in their officiating style. But I'm not sure I would agree with the idea that he has it out against Liverpool.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Was it not 5 times. The win in August versus Arsenal (4-0)

So this season 5 games:
    Wins 1 Draws 2 Losses 2

In his entire career as a ref 17 times
    Wins 9 Draws 4 Losses 4

Listen I agree with the opinion that some referees do not suit some teams, mainly as you will see refs view incidents differently throughout the league, and sometimes can even dictate the pace a little in their officiating style. But I'm not sure I would agree with the idea that he has it out against Liverpool.
    Of course he doesn't, preposterous notion.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Wins 0 Draws 2 Losses 2

Liverpool had lost the game all by themselves without the ref.
    Admittedly, some decisions should have went our way, but they didn't, it's part of the game, and we still needed to score another goal to at least get a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Wins 0 Draws 2 Losses 2

Fairly useless stat unless you were to look into each games and analyse his performance.

klose wrote: »
    Fairly useless stat unless you were to look into each games and analyse his performance.

Everton H and United A were pretty bad anyway. Can't remember the other two.

Think he's more a poor ref than biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Just saw the carragher video now. What an absolute idiot. Disgusting. Theres no comeback from spitting at a person. What was he thinking ?! Crazy scumbag behaviour. I dont think theres any way back from this. He should and probably will be sacked from sky and can have no complaints. It really is the lowest of the low spitting at someone .

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    It really is the lowest of the low spitting at someone .

I read this a lot since last night. And as someone who once got sucker punched out of the blue on a football pitch, believe me I'd much prefer to be spat at that punched in the face again. As horrible as it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement