Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Would just like to say fair play to Karius for his last few performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

A great decision from Klopp regarding Karius ... no point sticking with Mig if we all know (And he knows) he is not good enough. Therefore give him his chance to impress over a good period of games. If by the end of the season he has not settled or improved or there is still concern then go and look into replacing him.

He's made some super saves last few games and i'm hoping he continues to improve. Huge opportunity for him to prove himself over the next 9 or so games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

The only thing that gets to me is that he does not throw himself at ones he does not think he is going to get. I know he probably knows better than me but I like seeing our keepers diving at everything who knows, maybe half a fingertip on it would keep it out or even divert but if he does not dive we never know.

Think he could do better at corners too but shot stopping is better and he catches ore often than he goes for a punch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Interesting to see reports in the media (I know, I know) that despite Karius' upturn, we still remain keen on Allisson as a long-term option.

By all accounts, he would cost quite a bit, though. Would be far happier to keeper Karius than turn to, say, Butland or some of the others linked.

Spotted this on Twitter, think it was on Sky yesterday. Shows how Karius compares to the rest of the top 6 keepers. No surprise to see De Gea way out in front and Ederson doing well but Karius' "xG Prevented" is higher than Loris, Courtois and Cech.

https://twitter.com/AidanMUFC_/status/973197987492061185

All depends on how much weight you attach to these stats but just thought it was good for info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That just shows how bad United’s defence is more than anything. They’d be in a proper crisis without De Gea, the lucky bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm a goalkeeper sceptic to a degree (maybe something to do with watching Grobbelaar!), yes we need better than Mignolet as he is just mentally weak. But spending 50m on one?

Nope, run Karius to the end of the season, if he keeps at the current level just promote Danny Ward and spend the real money on stopping the ball reaching the keeper - Lovren out CB in, Can out, DM in. Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'm a goalkeeper sceptic to a degree (maybe something to do with watching Grobbelaar!), yes we need better than Mignolet as he is just mentally weak. But spending 50m on one?

Nope, run Karius to the end of the season, if he keeps at the current level just promote Danny Ward and spend the real money on stopping the ball reaching the keeper - Lovren out CB in, Can out, DM in. Sorted.

Im the opposite and think its not far off being the most important position to fill with quality. Karius has definetly looked better in this little run of games but I'd still break the bank for a world class gk if we could get one. Far more important than a DM in the system klopp plays and will prevent more goals. The ball doesn't reach our keeper that much as things stand anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Plus the obligatory "Just need another 3 or 4 players for next year"
    We could do with another option up front, if Salah, Mane or Bobby are out , we are looking pretty thin. I have hope for our backups at the moment, but not that much that I would be happy to lose any of the above 3 for a long period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Interesting to see reports in the media (I know, I know) that despite Karius' upturn, we still remain keen on Allisson as a long-term option.

By all accounts, he would cost quite a bit, though. Would be far happier to keeper Karius than turn to, say, Butland or some of the others linked.

Spotted this on Twitter, think it was on Sky yesterday. Shows how Karius compares to the rest of the top 6 keepers. No surprise to see De Gea way out in front and Ederson doing well but Karius' "xG Prevented" is higher than Loris, Courtois and Cech.

https://twitter.com/AidanMUFC_/status/973197987492061185

All depends on how much weight you attach to these stats but just thought it was good for info!
    I'd say that is fairly accurate utd have been giving up an awful lot of chances this season. Apart from the two games against us. Ddg is just incredible he makes saves that no other keeper in the league is making. Its him and not their defenders that makes utd have a good defensive record. Cech is now an awful keeper much like mignolet. Lloris and courtois haven't had great seasons. Ederson has been a big improvement on bravo who couldn't make a save last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I agree with Harry. Karius till the end of the season. If what we have seen over the last few games is what he's truly like (still young so the odd hiccup permitting) then I'd like the budget spent on a partner for VVD, a DM to let Keita do Keita things and another forward player. I was all on for spending big on a new keeper when Mignolet was mignoletting and Karius looked poor, but his recent form suggests a pretty competent keeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Honestly where City have it over us is not with a keeper or defence or even CM its up front and out wide.

We may have the best 3 when play on form but that's it City can call on 6 players to fill those roles Jesus, Aguero, Silva, KDB, Sane, Sterling.

We have/had a broken Sturridge a injured Lallana a returning from two major injures Ings and a green behind the ear Solanke.

It comes down to fire power and City have more of it than anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Never saw the angle from behind the goal for Rashford first, but he made a balls coming out for the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

If Allisson could be described as World class then buy him, whatever the cost....if hes not, and is only a small upgrade on Karius, then Id look at improving the weaknesses further out the field.....CM, DM abd attacking cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Honestly where City have it over us is not with a keeper or defence or even CM its up front and out wide.

We may have the best 3 when play on form but that's it City can call on 6 players to fill those roles Jesus, Aguero, Silva, KDB, Sane, Sterling.

We have/had a broken Sturridge a injured Lallana a returning from two major injures Ings and a green behind the ear Solanke.

It comes down to fire power and City have more of it than anyone else.

Or said in another way....they have a sugar Daddy to throw money at them when needed, whereas we have responsible owners running the club as a business and keeping their promise from day 1.....Leave the club in a better position than it was when they came in. So far they have done a great job.

Where will City stand if the Arabs get bored???

I'd say that is fairly accurate utd have been giving up an awful lot of chances this season. Apart from the two games against us. Ddg is just incredible he makes saves that no other keeper in the league is making. Its him and not their defenders that makes utd have a good defensive record. Cech is now an awful keeper much like mignolet. Lloris and courtois haven't had great seasons. Ederson has been a big improvement on bravo who couldn't make a save last season.

The contrast between City and Utd is worth looking at - deGea is making plenty of saves (2.90) as Utd's defence is actually not all that, Ederson is making fewer (1.47 saves per game - half!) but has more 3 clean sheets. So what's the difference? Obviously the quality of the outfield players and not necessarily the defenders either. They just dominate the ball and the opposition half of the pitch, the other team bar one or two (like Liverpool) spend most of the game bailing out water as their ship sinks.

So you could argue City overspent as it happens and that the real success of that side in possession and where that possession is. Liverpool do play a slightly different game it must be said, Klopp doesn't mind ceding possession in certain games but in most Liverpool end up with about 60% anyway. With Keita coming in a better CB than Lovren and a belt and braces deep lying midfielder would give this side pretty much perfect balance. The keeper should be a passenger for most of the season if everyone is doing their job.

Where will City stand if the Arabs get bored???

Probably the same that is happening at Chelsea now that Roman has closed the purse strings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

martyos121 wrote: »
    That just shows how bad United’s defence is more than anything. They’d be in a proper crisis without De Gea, the lucky bastards.

they have been for years imo....he really is a beast between the sticks... De Gea really keeping them at the top table imo.. the sooner he fecks off to Real the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

mada999 wrote: »
    they have been for years imo....he really is a beast between the sticks... De Gea really keeping them at the top table imo.. the sooner he fecks off to Real the better

you only have to look at the Arsenal game... battered utd but didnt win the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Probably the same that is happening at Chelsea now that Roman has closed the purse strings.

I think the City project is more than a personal toy for a Russian oligarch, which is all Chelsea was for Roman.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/dec/15/manchester-city-football-group-ferran-soriano

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

I'd hold off on writing off the whole Chelsea project just yet.

They only won the title last year, are still in the Champions League and could pip us to a top four place yet.

Looks to me that they are doing the same thing they always do. Get in a new manager give him loads of money. He wins the title and is told to win the league again with more or less the same squad the following season. He fails to do so, they get in another manager and then give him a shed load of cash for new players.

And rinse and repeat.

Sheikh Mansour has no intention of getting bored with City, they are the means to an end hence the whole City Football Group company structure which is to have a City club on every continent and develop something that is big enough to be fully self funding at a high level. What they are doing is a level beyond Roman Abramovich and Chelsea, he is a fan of the game and just wanted to own a club. If I recall his private helicopter happened to fly right above Stamford Bridge and he looked down and though "that looks good to buy, verily!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

jbt123 wrote: »
    I think the City project is more than a personal toy for a Russian oligarch, which is all Chelsea was for Roman.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/dec/15/manchester-city-football-group-ferran-soriano

Great read,

Thanks for that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Sheikh Mansour has no intention of getting bored with City, they are the means to an end hence the whole City Football Group company structure which is to have a City club on every continent and develop something that is big enough to be fully self funding at a high level. What they are doing is a level beyond Roman Abramovich and Chelsea, he is a fan of the game and just wanted to own a club. If I recall his private helicopter happened to fly right above Stamford Bridge and he looked down and though "that looks good to buy, verily!"

It's more than an asset in the financial sense.

It's about laundering their reputation as well, as is the Qatar world cup bid, or paying off the likes of Guardiola and Xavi to be "ambassadors" or whatever their involvement is in the WC.

It's a rather novel form of soft power but normalisation of the Middle East in the eyes of normal Europeans on the ground is nothing to be sneezed at from their perspective.

I rather suspect Russia shenanigans across the spectrum of sports from the WC to doping scandals are a part of this as well, although I wouldn't be surprised if both don't go tits up for them the way they're carrying on at the moment.

City could be deemed a State toy.

I always felt Roman used Chelsea to get his money out of Russia.

City is being used as propaganda toy by a State.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Because people in the UK are more interested in something involving a high level British person than anything in Greece?

Hardly a shock now is it?

I meant on here. I just think that's all abit mad over there in Greece and there has been no mention of it in here or on any thread I've seen.
    A manager brought a gun into the pitch over a disallowed/realised/disallowed goal and now the league is shut down.
    That's a more interesting story to me than Carragher spitting. What he done was ****ing stupid and there's no defending it but it's gotten a 5+ page thread and nothing for that other thing.
    How can there me 5+ pages over a spit unless it's biased wind-up bull ****e from both sides?
    We're not in the UK and obviously it should have some interest to Liverpool fans and Utd fans on the wind-up but genuinely how has it gotten this level of discussion?
    I just think it's crazy. Firminio drunk driving didn't get as much and that's much worse than spitting.
    Obviously I'm a complete ****ing muppet for not understanding the massive appeal of this case.
    He was wrong, he's obviously a bit unhinged and has anger management issues. No excuses.
    The man driver the other car was extremely reckless too and a bit of a lout.
    It's a pity about the young girl having to deal with all this.
    Anyway, I'll prob get carded now because I've ignored the warning but I haven't had a chance to say anything til know.
    Ignore me anyway. Roll on our next match!

• Advertisement

James Pearce
    Liverpool have made contact with the representatives of Alisson to inform them not to expect a bid for the Roma keeper.
    Liverpool have been linked with a £40million swoop for Stoke City’s Jack Butland but the ECHO understands they have no intention of pursuing a deal for the England international.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alisson-butland-how-loris-karius-14406893

City could be deemed a State toy.

I always felt Roman used Chelsea to get his money out of Russia.

City is being used as propaganda toy by a State.

I'm pretty sure the fans that travelled away to see them lose to Wycombe Wanderers, Lincoln and York City in 98/99 in League 1, are probably ok with that.

Could you blame them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Mirror reporting that Harry Kane is out until May.

Although he hasn't even had a scan yet due to swelling so sounds a bit like guesswork.

Son to go on record goal scoring run!

Right need to find a FF replacement.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure the fans that travelled away to see them lose to Wycombe Wanderers, Lincoln and York City in 98/99 in League 1, are probably ok with that.

Could you blame them?

The thousands dying and living under that regime maybe.

We're all aware of the various regimes throughout the world and their levels of nefariousness.

I know quite a few old time City supporters. They probably went anti United in the late 60s on a family basis. (Just like the Everton fans in Ireland grew in the mid 80s).

Anyway suffice to say, they're not really digging the negative about the bad dinar.. Catch my drift?

Harry Wilson strikes again! Hull 0-2 V Ipswich town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Although he hasn't even had a scan yet due to swelling so sounds a bit like guesswork.

Golden boot for Salah then, would match his crown.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

On a pretty unimportant note, it puts Salah in pole position for the golden boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

We all use products and consume food which have been produced in countries with atrocious human rights records. How does giving your money to support a football team owned by such a regime differ from watching the CL on a TV produced by an equally offensive regime or using diesel in your car from the same regime that own City?

People in glass houses and all that.............

We all use products and consume food which have been produced in countries with atrocious human rights records. How does giving your money to support a football team owned by such a regime differ from watching the CL on a TV produced by an equally offensive regime or using diesel in your car from the same regime that own City?

People in glass houses and all that.............

So you are a person happy to sweep this under a carpet and close your eyes to these kind regimes then ...good to know.

I for one am happy to speak out against them and the human rights issues they cause and murders they commit.

But you close your eyes and defend it then and I bet you'll get a few like minded people agreeing with you!

But luckily we live in a Country that allows us the freedom to be able to speak up about these regimes and not be murdered for it.

So you are a person happy to sweep this under a carpet and close your eyes to these kind regimes then ...good to know.

I for one am happy to speak out against them and the human rights issues they cause and murders they commit.

But you close your eyes and defend it then and I bet you'll get a few like minded people agreeing with you!

But luckily we live in a Country that allows us the freedom to be able to speak up about these regimes and not be murdered for it.

Ahem.. ''tis the soccer forum here. Political and Human Rights thread probably the place for that kind of chat.

Ahem.. ''tis the soccer forum here. Political and Human Rights thread probably the place for that kind of chat.

The soccer forum where that State has so much influence in the the game/world of soccer and will be holding the Holy Grail of soccer the World Cup in 4 years.

Close your eyes that's ok you live in a Country where you can choose to do that.

Lets all talk about a former footballer and tv pundit spitting and forget about the thousands dying building stadiums for that World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Snap that chap up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Get IN!!!! how sweet was that shot!! Can't see Utd getting 2 in less than 20 mins....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

oh my

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

MADE MY WEEK..

Don't want to draw Sevilla in the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Get IN!!!! how sweet was that shot!! Can't see Utd getting 2 in less than 20 mins....

3 goals now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

ALWAYS LOVED SEVILLA

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭beya2009

Haha this is hilarious...giving me some kick lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Oh how much I want Sevilla in the next round, we owe them more than a beating after losing the EL final and the two draws they stole off us earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

How the **** did lfc loose to this lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

:):):):):):):):)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement