Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Liverpool considering a move for Werner is being reported by Miguel Delaney tonight.

He's germany's next big thing he's hardly gonna want to come to us to be an understudy to any of our front three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

You might as well have typed

Not a chance, Leipzig are all lubed up ready for the Bayern Munich offer.

We can afford him when Madrid but Salah for £200m ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

H
    It should lose him all support; but I’m sure the “we’re 2nd” brigade will back him, despite hundreds of millions spent.

I'm sure you'll still back klopp millions spent, fck all in the cabinet. Finishing 4th. Right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

limnam wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll still back klopp millions spent, fck all in the cabinet. Finishing 4th. Right?

ahahahahahaahaha

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Salah on Instagram about 1 minute after the final whistle:

EWfU2fK.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Bayern’s record signing was Tolisso for €41.5m. If they don’t double that at least, we would win any bidding war if Werner was interested in joining us too. As big a club as they are, they don’t spend like we do. They prefer the approach of getting players to run down their contracts and poaching them for nothing.

If we want Werner and it’s between us and Bayern, assuming the lad wants to play for us, we win that battle every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Salah on Instagram about 1 minute after the final whistle:

Probably pondering all those near misses on Saturday.....

Oh wait...

Oh wait...

Take the night off, you're making an absolute fool of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

‘I’ve sat in this chair twice before, with Porto [2004] – Man Utd out, with Real Madrid [2013] – Man Utd out, so this is nothing new for this football club,’

Those words sound like they came from a rival manager taking a shot at the club he just knocked out. Any one still backing that idiot has lost the plot.

His way of playing football and running a club is not sustainable, which is why he never survives anywhere for long. I can't think of another manager that's won so much but is still so unpopular, even with the fans of the clubs he's managed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

You might as well have typed

Not a chance, Leipzig are all lubed up ready for the Bayern Munich offer.

He was linked to United earlier in the week also.. Leipzig trying to put up his price imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Werner is a Utd fanboy, I could have swore he's declared his love for them a couple of times.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Awful comment to make, I wondered what the Utd supporters would make of it....

It reminded me of something Hodgson would say but it's actually worse.

what was Hodgson's post match interview after losing to Everton that year...something like Liverpool can't expect to win these games I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Werner is a Utd fanboy, I could have swore he's declared his love for them a couple of times.

When he was linked to Liverpool a couple of weeks ago at first he came out in and said that it was nice to be linked with them but if United came in for him he wouldn’t have to think twice.. he was looking for the United move I think. But doubt that will happen

dfx- wrote: »
    what was Hodgson's post match interview after losing to Everton that year...something like Liverpool can't expect to win these games I think

I'll never forget him talking about how Liverpool aren't too good for a relegation fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

He might be reconsidering that tonight!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Oh wait...

When your team gets knocked out of the CL, but you still have work to do on the Liverpool thread...
    ymazk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Yea of course.......would be good to know that we've seen the back of Mourinho for a season.

GLORIOUS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

For all the vile football he plays, UTD are still second in the league.

But getting ruined at home is a bitter pill to swallow for any football fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

A true indication of how poor Utd were I think is that I kind of feel bad for their fans.
    They have been comedy gold in Europe for the last 30 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

gimli2112 wrote: »
    A true indication of how poor Utd were I think is that I kind of feel bad for their fans.
    They have been comedy gold in Europe for the last 30 years.

They have won it twice in 30 years - More than us. :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Looking forward to work this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

doc_17 wrote: »
    Be some spending in the summer now

it wont matter a thing if he keeps trying the hoof ball and the 6 at the back... he can't be lucky all the time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

ardinn wrote: »
    yeah but we've been pretty awful for the last thirty years and still won it once whereas they've dominated English football but been spectacular failures in Europe over the period. It's been pretty difficult following Liverpool for several decades, season typically over by early - Spring with only Utd in Europe for comic relief.
    Always wondered if I could warm to Mourinho if he became Liverpool manager, I'd like to think I couldn't. There's a large portion of the Utd fan base turning against him now and it's not just all from last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

murpho999 wrote: »
    You're most likely right.
    I just don't get how Utd fans, with the way they've played in the past, could enjoy the current Utd team.

Probably win the FA Cup now and they'll be happy again.

most utd fans support utd because they were winning everything in the 90s when they were growing up... they are used to winning... and alot of them that i know couldnt even tell you who their squad players are..

when van gaal and moyes were in charge most utd fans i know "didn't follow football" or "didnt see the game" but now that Mourinho is in charge they started watching again...it'll be the same for Mourinho when the trophies dry up... They were absolutely blessed to win the Europa league last season.. it had the worst quality teams in years... couldnt have had it easier... but hey it's all about the trophy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

mada999 wrote: »
    most utd fans support utd because they were winning everything in the 90s when they were growing up... they are used to winning... and alot of them that i know couldnt even tell you who their squad players are..

when van gaal and moyes were in charge most utd fans i know "didn't follow football" or "didnt see the game" but now that Mourinho is in charge they started watching again...it'll be the same for Mourinho when the trophies dry up... They were absolutely blessed to win the Europa league last season.. it had the worst quality teams in years... couldnt have had it easier... but hey it's all about the trophy

Let's not forget we had wins in Europe aswell playing pretty turgid football. The attacking brand of football was ushered in (in modern era) by Rodgers and taken to another level by Klopp.

We recorded some notable wins in Europe playing very defensive stuff and nobody will complain if we win. Remember Barca referring to our style as "sh*t on a stick" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Let's not forget we had wins in Europe aswell playing pretty turgid football. The attacking brand of football was ushered in (in modern era) by Rodgers and taken to another level by Klopp.

We recorded some notable wins in Europe playing very defensive stuff and nobody will complain if we win. Remember Barca referring to our style as "sh*t on a stick" ?

When we stomped all over Real in 2009 there was nothing "turgid" about it. Benitez had us ranked no.1 in European club coefficient and - when you're winning that many ties - it doesn't really matter how you do it. At any point during Benitez's reign when we lost in Europe as favourites the football was criticised and queried. Which is the way of it really, you can play whatever style you like so long as you're winning. When Klopp loses the gung ho one gear approach is questioned. Sunrise, sunset.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭beya2009

ardinn wrote: »

Just goes to show how hard it is to win it to be fair. Spanish expert Guillem Balague stated recently that someone with Messi's talent should have won more UCL's than he has but obviously it's because it's damn hard to win. Bayern Munich are in the top 3rd of favorites to win it every season but they never win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,657 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I don’t think we should underestimate the pressure that will be on Mourinho now.
    Iirc Charlton and other directors were against his appointment due to his turgid style of play. Now after that performance, the interview and boo’s at OT his job is very much under threat. 2nd in the league or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭beya2009

See if Mourinho was ever to manage us it would probably be tricky for me as a fan as his track record for winning trophies is unreal so you would think he would win trophies with us but then again things didn't work out at Real Madrid because of style of play and crucially not enough success. Mourinho has spent an absolute fortune at United and I wonder if some of the players are growing sick of him. Apparently at Real Madrid the senior players got sick of him so stopped being receptive to him (at the end of the day you have to motivate and get the best out of the talent you have). Imagine Pep, Klopp or pochettino with the current Man U squad...they would surely be doing better and playing better football.

Mourinho maybe showed Sevilla too much respect yesterday and were sat too deep at home. They lost to a team 27 points behind Barca and they were soundly beaten by Valencia recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

beya2009 wrote:
    Just goes to show how hard it is to win it to be fair. Spanish expert Guillem Balague stated recently that someone with Messi's talent should have won more UCL's than he has.

Balague is beyond a clown so isn't an expert in anything. Messi has won 4 CL medals & I can't think of many who have more. Only Maldini pops into my head of the recent era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

beya2009 wrote: »
    See if Mourinho was ever to manage us it would probably be tricky for me as a fan as his track record for winning trophies is unreal so you would think he would win trophies with us but then again things didn't work out at Real Madrid because of style of play and crucially not enough success. Mourinho has spent an absolute fortune at United and I wonder if some of the players are growing sick of him. Apparently at Real Madrid the senior players got sick of him so stopped being receptive to him (at the end of the day you have to motivate and get the best out of the talent you have). Imagine Pep, Klopp or pochettino with the current Man U squad...they would surely be doing better and playing better football.

Mourinho maybe showed Sevilla too much respect yesterday and were sat too deep at home. They lost to a team 27 points behind Barca and they were soundly beaten by Valencia recently.

Jose would not come to Liverpool as Liverpool would not spend the money he needs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Jose would not come to Liverpool as Liverpool would not spend the money he needs

On fairness, very few chairmen would. It's interesting how this comment could read that he "needs" a ****load of money to succeed.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It would lower my interest in football by a large margin were that to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Good news for the work shy - Man City v Liverpool Champions League Mini-pops is being streamed on youtube KO 2 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8x52P_BylM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

You are comedy gold.
    I'll back Klopp cause he's spent nowhere near the money of City/Utd yet his team is playing outstanding football, into the 1/4's of the CL, and hasn't resulted to scumbaggery like Jose poking people in the eye or bullying a female team doctor.

Jose takes a huge swipe at Utd, boasting how he's knocked them out before so nothing new to Utd to be knocked out this early, and yet you back him up.
    Not that surprising to see Jose can still fool some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Regards the CL draw Man City is the nightmare scenario imo. I can't see us beating them over two legs, they just have too much firepower I think. I know we blitzed them recently but still only scraped the win. I think the other heavyweights left in might see us as an unknown quantity and maybe take us lightly. I want City to get Real Madrid or Barca assuming they go through.

See if Mourinho was ever to manage us it would probably be tricky for me as a fan as his track record for winning trophies is unreal

Like a great birthday gift from a horrible step Da.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

cjmc wrote: »
    I don’t think we should underestimate the pressure that will be on Mourinho now.
    Iirc Charlton and other directors were against his appointment due to his turgid style of play. Now after that performance, the interview and boo’s at OT his job is very much under threat. 2nd in the league or not!

I think the pressure will be confined to the two ro three FA cups games they have left. If he wins that, it'll be seen as a relatively progressive season, I would imagine.

He's more than liekly going to spend another 100-150m in the transfer market in the summer and after THAT, then he'll be under pressure.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Regards the CL draw Man City is the nightmare scenario imo. I can't see us beating them over two legs, they just have too much firepower I think. I know we blitzed them recently but still only scraped the win. I think the other heavyweights left in might see us as an unknown quantity and maybe take us lightly. I want City to get Real Madrid or Barca assuming they go through.

Worst to best opposition for me

RM
    Barca (if they qualify)
    Juventus
    City
    Bayern
    Seville
    Chelsea (if they qualify)
    Roma

Admittedly not much difference in trickiness between a few of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Blanco100 wrote: »

I've seen this anaolgy a few times now regarding.our style back then,there is a massive difference between that team and utds team, massive difference in the amount spent on it and on wages, not to.mention we were inferior to most teams at the business end of European comps, we literally didn't have options.

Jose's teams play awful awful stuff regardless of how much.money he spends,they are defensive teams,he is a defensive manager.

I mean,utd play pool at old Trafford, nothing to play for bar pride really, positions not under major threat, especially for utd..have a go right!!

Not Jose. Puke.

I have to say, I thought United really went for it in the first half against us. That half won them the game. They could have lost that lead in the second half if we'd been a bit more sharp, though, but they did play that first half like they were in a second CL knockout leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Oh wait...

Ah well one quiet game doesnt make a player bad , still scored 24 premier league goals this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Carragher suspended until the end of the season and Sky expect him to take steps to address the poor behaviour so it doesn't happen again i.e. take some anger management classes.

He'll come back a very contrite person that's for sure!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

City are the worst draw for us over two legs,
    Madrid and Barca are to arrogant to change the way they play and will try attack us which will suit us .
    I'm hoping we draw Roma and Juventus draw Sevilla  and we get the winner of that in the Semi final :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Anything after QF's is a bonus. We've achieved enough in CL this season. Two more great games to look forward to against hopefully a big team that wants to play.

Real
    City
    Juventus
    Bayern
    Barcelona likely to go through

Seville
    Roma

Anyone but Seville I'd take. They are just awkward, great record against teams from England. Best to avoid and let someone else deal with them.
    Real, City, Bayern, Barca are ideal for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I want Sevilla or Roma ideally but anyone bar City would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Carragher suspended until the end of the season and Sky expect him to take steps to address the poor behaviour so it doesn't happen again i.e. take some anger management classes.

He'll come back a very contrite person that's for sure!!

Lucky to keep his job given the outcry. Although the OTT rage against him, and not the idiot driving while recording, who also was baiting someone into road rage, and showing more concern for jumping to the media than his daughters well being; showed their true priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Sevilla are the one I want to avoid. We've already played them twice this season and have shown ourselves to struggle to handle them. I do think we are better equipped defensively now to handle what they have but I would rather avoid it nonetheless.

I also don't want to play City if possible.

As miserable a sentence as this is: I think I could handle losing to Bayern, Real, Barca or Juve but City would frustrate me as we play them twice a season anyway, and Sevilla would drive me f*cking mad.

And, while a trip to the Olimpico is never easy, I don't think we should fear Roma.

I'd love a trip to Barcelona, though.

I'm so sick of Sevilla but realistically themselves or Roma have to be the preference.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement