Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Away leg is the Tuesday after Everton (currently on "Super" Sunday)

Will the Everton game be switched back to Saturday now ?

I am guessing Liverpool game will be swapped with Spurs game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

There will be goals

Ahh well best being underdogs in the Quarter Final, everyone tipping City to go through some even saying congrats on getting to the Semi final already :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Knex. wrote: »
    City was probably the last team I wanted, tbh.

I bet you anything they didn't want us either! So that levels the playing field a little...

There will be goals

there-will-be-blood2.jpg

Guardiola watches our attack with envy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Jurgen wrote:
    “I’ve said it before and it’s still the truth, it’s always common in a draw that you’ll get your neighbour, more or less, but to be honest I don’t mind, really.
    “It is exactly like it was before – we take what we’ve got. Now it’s Manchester City, let’s go.
    “We’ve lost once and we’ve won once against them in the league – and I don’t think they thought before the best draw they could have got is Liverpool. That’s a sign for us and how strong we can be.
    “We are for sure not the favourites in this round, but in the last eight there are not a lot of favourites - maybe two of them, Bayern and Barcelona – but thank God it’s football and nothing is decided.
    “We have a few games to play until then, but I am really looking forward to it and we will give it everything.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Liverpool seem to be drawn against English opposition every time in Europe.

Chelsea in 2005
    Chelsea in 2006
    Chelsea in 2007
    Arsenal and Chelsea in 2008
    Man Utd in 2016

Liverpool (ENG) v Manchester City (ENG)
    1st leg: 4 April, 2nd leg: 10 April
    The pair have never met before in UEFA competition.
    In domestic fixtures Liverpool have dominated, recording 87 wins to City's 45, with 46 draws.
    City have won just one of their last eight encounters with Liverpool in all competitions, losing five. The Reds are the only team to beat Pep Guardiola's charges in this season's Premier League.
    Raheem Sterling scored 18 goals in 95 Premier League appearances for Liverpool between 2012 and 2015; James Milner was a member of Manchester City's title-winning squads in 2012 and 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,482 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We had no VVD against City this season, so that is a huge bonus going into these game that we do have him in defence. I think he will also score against them.
    We also did not have Henderson available.
    We're stronger defensively since that thrashing we gave them at Anfield. Right back position has looks weak in recent weeks, if Clyne can get fit that is another bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The wed Tues combo for the fixtures is for the best. As it should really only effect the Everton game. Whereas a Tues wed combo would have meant possible rotation for the palace and Bournemouth games. It also means city get extra days rest before they play spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭beya2009

For such a 50:50 encounter imo against man city we're massive underdogs to go on to win this competition. The bookies really fancy man city...their now joint favs with Barca @ 7/2 to win it whereas we are a massive 14/1. I really fancy our chances against man city. We would need to stop them scoring no more than just the one away goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

The wed Tues combo for the fixtures is for the best. As it should really only effect the Everton game. Whereas a Tues wed combo would have meant possible rotation for the palace and Bournemouth games.

I will hold my hands up and say I am happy to play moreno migs Klaven Ings and Solanke against everton. Screw it , alone. Just them. Rest everyone else while City to win the title that weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

There will be goalsblood

Sorted that for ya..

The Thursday after the second leg I'm off to the canaries. Was a little worried the game would be Wednesday and I'd be flying with a hangover. Now I can do the quarters like 2005 and 2007. Ah they were great nights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Mr.H wrote: »
    The Thursday after the second leg I'm off to the canaries. Was a little worried the game would be Wednesday and I'd be flying with a hangover. Now I can do the quarters like 2005 and 2007. Ah they were great nights

You're going to watch Norwich?

That'll be some downturn in footballing standard!

Haha it's a change from west brom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Looking forward to it already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KKBa6tUkfY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Crap draw. You usually want either the weakest teams left (Roma, Sevilla) or one of the big clubs (Madrid, Barca, Juve, Bayern). City don't qualify as either. Plus we play them 2 or 3 times a season anyway.

On the plus side we have a good record against City and Klopp has a good record against Guardiola. Also very little travel.

Derby at Everton in between looks very tricky now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Do people still give much weight to the Everton game?

I mean surely the CL takes priority.

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »
    Do people still give much weight to the Everton game?

I mean surely the CL takes priority.

All depends on what the situation is with top 4 too have to look at both still

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I would be a lot more confident if the 2nd leg was at Anfield

ricero wrote: »

Repeat of knocking out that team from Salford 2-0 at home 1-1 away in the 2nd leg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Derby is on the 8th with Man City on 10th.
    Whats the chance derby will be rearranged.

All depends on what the situation is with top 4 too have to look at both still

Need to win the next two league games and with Chelsea playing spurs things will become a lot clearer. If things go wrong next two the Everton game may become a must win.

Brego888 wrote: »

Every chance press release

Saturday 7 April
    17:30 Man City v Man Utd (Sky Sports)
    *subject to participation of PL Clubs in the UEFA Champions League the following Tuesday

Sunday 8 April
    14:15 Everton v Liverpool (Sky Sports)
    *subject to Liverpool's involvement in the UEFA Champions League the following Tuesday
    16:30 Chelsea v West Ham (Sky Sports)
    *subject to Chelsea's involvement in the UEFA Champions League the following Tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Brego888 wrote: »

100%. Margin of error 0%.

The derby is 1230 on the sat now.

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »

I bet United thought the same. If we do the job at home, then they have to come after us away, and we are awesome on the break...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Dickerty wrote: »
    I bet United thought the same. If we do the job at home, then they have to come after us away, and we are awesome on the break...

Exactly, the key is to not be cagey at Anfield - go for the win and if we concede an away goal, f*ck it, we can get an away goal at their gaff. If we don't bring a lead of some description into the 2nd leg, forget about it. A 0-0 home draw in the 1st leg might work when playing Utd (ask Sevilla), but against City... probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Even the official club twitter account throwing shade

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/974638507321974785

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Beating them over two legs is a whole different kettle of fish to a league game.

We could beat them 4-0 at Anfield and you'd still be nervous we'd throw it away the second leg.

We can win this one, but I think the two legs is going to be our undoing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

2-0 in the first leg and we're sound.

Just lurking the man city thread it's clear to see a lot of man u fans mocking us basically saying man city will walk to the semis. lol what a fall from grace man u fans watching 2 rivals go at it ha

• Advertisement

Unrelated but Mourinho is having an unbelievable rant over on SSN.

lol what's new.

Details?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Details?
    You can read all about it in the Utd thread. :) Here's for Champions league stuff.

Details?

12 minute monologue reading from a prepared script. Slightly demented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Details?

Who cares ?

Ste- wrote: »
    Who cares ?

Just assumed that given it was posted here it was relevant to Liverpool or the draw today. Seemingly not. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I know City have been on flying form and a lot of people are acting like Pool have already lost it but I genuinely think you were one of the main teams Pep was eager to avoid.

Although City have walked away with the league, of late they haven't looked as much of the impossible force to beat that they had before. Still an extremely tough team to get anything against but there is hope, even over two legs.

What makes me think Liverpool could do it is a mixture of the quality attacking play and Klopp. He has the best record of any manager against Pep over a significant amount of games (more than 3), and by some amount. In the 12 clashes between Klopp and Pep, Klopp has won 6. In context the next best records are José (4 wins in 20) and Wenger (3 wins in 14). So it's clear Klopp can match Pep tactically.

Also out of the previous clashes the only time City have won was that thrashing last September after the red-card. The team is difficult as it is to play against but going down a man makes it nearly impossible. So the previous 4 clashes have seen Pool win 2, City 1, and 1 draw.

I honestly think those writing you off could be in with a surprise. It will be very difficult of course. But your team has already shown in can match City, and it always seems like you guys up your game for CL clashes too. No doubt the atmosphere in Anfield will be electric and could help lay the groundwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I'll put a chunk of my confidence on Pep's less than stellar away form in the knock out stages. His teams have played 23 away games in the Champions League knock stages and won ...... 5.

When he plays away first he has 4 wins, 7 draws, 7 defeats. The bad part is he usually rolls teams at home :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

City fan here, definitely haven't come in peace. Should be a great game, only happy that the second leg is at ours. If it's anything like the league games, then we are in for a goal feast.

Thank fcuk you didnt come in peace, at least ye City lads are honest

Just assumed that given it was posted here it was relevant to Liverpool or the draw today. Seemingly not. ;)

Nobody will want to hear what he has to say on anything tho ? We've seen and heard everything and nothing he can do will shock anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

City fan here, definitely haven't come in peace. Should be a great game, only happy that the second leg is at ours. If it's anything like the league games, then we are in for a goal feast.

What price Sterling to score a last minute winner :pac:

Seriously though, it will be really tough, have no idea how it will unfold.

On paper it should be a cracking attacking game.

The head2head between Klopp and Pep is crazy really.
    12 games. Klopp 6 wins. Pep 5 wins. Draws 1. Goals 37 (may need to confirm that)

So only one previous draw and an average of just over 3 goals a game. Should be a great tie.

Will the tie have english officals or european ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Big Vern

European id say

European English officials can't ref an English team in Europe

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement