Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭54and56

ricero wrote: »
    I would be a lot more confident if the 2nd leg was at Anfield

I think I prefer it this way round. If we can win at Anfield, draw or even lose by one I'd fancy our chances of tearing into them at their place where we know away goals could be the difference.

City are a super side, their PL points haul prove that but this is cup football and if we're in the game with 20 minutes to go at their place a late goal could mean they need two.

Maybe I'm just putting the best spin in the draw but I genuinely would prefer for us to be winning or chasing a game in a 2nd away leg than at home where a late sucker punch counts for so much.

I'm well excited but if we go out it'll feel a bit drab to have done so to another PL side, it just won't feel like a glamour CL match like a Barca, Juve or MAdrid would be!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Adamocovic wrote: »
    On paper it should be a cracking attacking game.

The head2head between Klopp and Pep is crazy really.
    12 games. Klopp 6 wins. Pep 5 wins. Draws 1. Goals 37 (may need to confirm that)

So only one previous draw and an average of just over 3 goals a game. Should be a great tie.

Klopp vs Guardiola record
    Borussia Dortmund 4-2 Bayern Munich (German Super Cup, July 2013)
    Borussia Dortmund 0-3 Bayern Munich (Bundesliga, November 2013)
    Bayern Munich 0-3 Borussia Dortmund (Bundesliga, April 2014)
    Borussia Dortmund 0-2 Bayern Munich (AET, German Cup final, May 2014)
    Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Bayern Munich (Super Cup, August 2014)
    Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund (Bundesliga, November 2014)
    Borussia Dortmund 0-1 Bayern Munich (Bundesliga, April 2015)
    Bayern Munich 1-1 Borussia Dortmund (Dortmund win 2-0 on pens, German Cup semi-final, April 2015)
    Liverpool 1-0 Manchester City (Premier League, December 2016)
    Manchester City 1-1 Liverpool (Premier League, March 2017)
    Manchester City 5-0 Liverpool (Premier League, September 2017)
    Liverpool 4-3 Manchester City (Premier League, January 2018)

Klopp vs City record
    Manchester City 1-1 Borussia Dortmund (Champions League, October 2012)
    Borussia Dortmund 1-0 Manchester City (Champions League, December 2012)
    Manchester City 1-4 Liverpool (Premier League, November 2015)
    Liverpool 1-1 Manchester City (City win 4-2 on pens, League Cup final, February 2016)
    Liverpool 3-0 Manchester City (Premier League, March 2016)
    Liverpool 1-0 Manchester City (Premier League, December 2016)
    Manchester City 1-1 Liverpool (Premier League, March 2017)
    Manchester City 5-0 Liverpool (Premier League, September 2017)
    Liverpool 4-3 Manchester City (Premier League, January 2018)

Man Utds mouth piece the BBC have just asked has Jose pulled a master stroke in taking tomorrows head lines away from Liverpool V Man City and put them all on him lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Ste- wrote: »
    Will the tie have english officals or european ?

They should have someone totally neutral with no interest in the competition. A man utd fan perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Man Utds mouth piece the BBC have just asked has Jose pulled a master stroke in taking tomorrows head lines away from Liverpool V Man City and put them all on him lol

Ughhh don't be dragging dirt into the house, just hoovered the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Very very disappointed with the draw. I think we can beat them, no doubt. But i hate getting the Premier League sides in Europe. In terms of getting through, i'd prefer Roma or Sevilla, as tough as those ties would still be.

But basically, in Europe, bring on the likes of Bayern Munich and Real Madrid etc. That's what it's all about. The novelty of it almost. City are just very underwhelming from the point of view that we play them every year.

But there we are, that's who we have. A huge tie so let's go for it. Footballing purity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I just wanted something different.

It's like opening your lunchbox and seeing the same sandwich inside that you've been eating for years.

I wanted something different, something exotic. Flake a bit of salami in there, or some spanish ham, maybe a bit of parmesan cheese. How about a nice sourdough bread.

Instead we've two slices of white and packaged ham. No mayo. Dry.

Fuck you, Mam Shevchenko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Knex. wrote: »

It's like opening your lunchbox and seeing the same sandwich inside that you've been eating for years.

I wanted something different, something exotic. Flake a bit of salami in there, or some spanish ham, maybe a bit of parmesan cheese. How about a nice sourdough bread.

I still think a Man City tie is something different as it's CL quarters over two legs and not just a premiership game.

Beating Chelsea twice in two semis were fantastic nights.

I think it will be fascinating to see what happens.

Utd fans, for some reason have us out. City fans rightly fancy their chances and we are underdogs. So no pressure to go out and have a go at it. They are capable of winning this but it will be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Finish off that ham sandwich and the mother may surprise you with paella, lasagne or some bratwurst for the dinner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Finish off that ham sandwich and the mother may surprise you with paella, lasagne or some bratwurst for the dinner!

Break your leg in the school yard on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Ste- wrote: »
    Break your leg in the school yard on the way home.

KNOH11E.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,098 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Anyone know of any buses/cars going over to Liverpool for the 1/4 final? Have tickets but transport is proving very difficult right now. 480e return flights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

FitzShane wrote: »
    Anyone know of any buses/cars going over to Liverpool for the 1/4 final? Have tickets but transport is proving very difficult right now. 480e return flights

Worth having a look on IrishKop. They sometimes run buses over on the ferry from Dublin for games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Away goals still count in extra time don't they?

That's a big advantage imo

I wasn't really being serious, I'll still be majorly excited when the match week rolls around. Just that the initial intrigue and mystery, and I suppose allure, of playing one of the elite European teams has been diminished a little by it being a team we're so familiar with.

The games are going to be nerve inducing wrecks and the atmosphere should be fantastic, for both legs. Here's hoping we can progress and then the excitement will really kick off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

We win this 15-0 easy

EASY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

ardinn wrote: »
    We win this 15-0 easy

EASY!

What about the second leg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Grayditch wrote: »
    What about the second leg?

We lose 16 - 1 and go through on away goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The good news is that for Liverpool this is practically a "free hit" City are the better side, have the recent experience of CL football (yeah I know!:D), and are bizarrely the tournament favourites. All the pressure is on them, as the league is done and dusted this is the one that Abu Dhabi will be waiting on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Could you imagine a semi-final of Barcelona, Real / Juve, Bayern and Liverpool. Would be sensational.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I would be a lot more confident if the 2nd leg was at Anfield
    Noone ever says this but imo playing your home leg first means less chance of conceding an away goal since often the first leg is more cagey. Not always of course.
    If we can keep a clean sheet at Anfield it gives us a chance.

Agree with the others though, City are so strong they could score several at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Details?

12 minute monologue reading from a prepared script. Slightly demented.
    Did he list a load of Fahcts? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

That was a long week... Did I miss anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Could you imagine a semi-final of Barcelona, Real / Juve, Bayern and Liverpool. Would be sensational.

Europe's big 4...... and Barcelona

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭beya2009

I wasn't really being serious, I'll still be majorly excited when the match week rolls around. Just that the initial intrigue and mystery, and I suppose allure, of playing one of the elite European teams has been diminished a little by it being a team we're so familiar with.

The games are going to be nerve inducing wrecks and the atmosphere should be fantastic, for both legs. Here's hoping we can progress and then the excitement will really kick off!

Get your point but if we get pass city then chances are we will get a really sexy affair with one of europes elite probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

eyerer wrote: »
    Did he list a load of Fahcts? :)

Yes actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

I think our history in this tournament might win the day for us. City have limited experience of games like this at the business end of the CL/European Cup (in their history - they absolutely bottled it vs Monaco last year) and it's part of our culture. Sure, in recent years we haven't been in the CL, but almost every time we get this far in this tournament, we eke out that something extra and I think that'll make the difference over the two legs.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

mosstin wrote: »
    I think our history in this tournament might win the day for us. City have limited experience of games like this at the business end of the CL/European Cup (in their history - they absolutely bottled it vs Monaco last year) and it's part of our culture. Sure, in recent years we haven't been in the CL, but almost every time we get this far in this tournament, we eke out that something extra and I think that'll make the difference over the two legs.

I know what you are getting at, but given that none of our squad have any real experience at this, barring a few in the Europa League which is a different beast, I doubt we have an advantage there. The thing that might help us though is that we won't be expected to win really. I'm hoping we can get a win in the first leg,even 3-2 or something. If we lost the first leg (yes I know City have a terrible record at Anfield) it'd feel like a huge mountain.

brevity wrote: »
    Away goals still count in extra time don't they?

That's a big advantage imo

Yes away goals count in Extra time, this is not an English League were away goals only count after extra time.

• Advertisement

For the weekend it is

445714.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

5starpool wrote: »
    I know what you are getting at, but given that none of our squad have any real experience at this, barring a few in the Europa League which is a different beast, I doubt we have an advantage there. The thing that might help us though is that we won't be expected to win really. I'm hoping we can get a win in the first leg,even 3-2 or something. If we lost the first leg (yes I know City have a terrible record at Anfield) it'd feel like a huge mountain.

Regarding the above, I worte off the first comment because we dont have any experienced players in the CL, but then I thought about another thing.

A European Cup night at Anfield - It's enough to make city sh*t the bed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Good lord

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Burn it

5starpool wrote: »

I just think that there's a lot to be said about a club's history in tournaments. Ultimately, City are virgins in terms of this stage of this tournament and the cachet which comes with that is something we've earned over the years.
    It's why the Italians, regardless of how poor their domestic league might be doing, always doing well in major tournaments. I don't specifically mean our present XI's experience compared to theirs, which is obviously poorer, but as a club this is unfamiliar territory for them and when it comes to a massive 2nd leg, the expectation, the pressure, the, ahem, marginal gains etc., we'll have the edge. That shouldn't be underplayed. This isn't two PL matches, these are massive CL games.
    All assuming they don't stuff us in the 1st leg, of course. :D

I'm calling the guards

Burn it

source.gif

Seen that on some Irish Liverpool fans facebook page

...where you should have left it. ;)

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Anyway back to normal tomorrow with Watford at home. Hopefully a professional performance and 3 points. Watford have dreadful away form at the moment but are a very physical side.

Need to be at it from the start and I reckon henderson comes back into the side and Matip.

Anyway back to normal tomorrow with Watford at home. Hopefully a professional performance and 3 points. Watford have dreadful away form at the moment but are a very physical side.

Need to be at it from the start and I reckon henderson comes back into the side and Matip.

Repeat of last seasons home game would be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

giphy.webp

here one to make up for it, reminds me of some posters in match threads

bf5c1b689d8e8156df4204ca28acf676.gif

15i1zjn.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

My last champions league game at Anfield was the semi v Chelsea in '05, cost me an absolute fortune (1500 for a package deal but was the only option left to get a ticket) but those memories have paid back ten fold at this stage, it really was one of those 'once in a lifetime experiences'.

Pity we're at home for the first leg but I'm emptying the piggy bank for both these games if I can get tickets, this could be epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

...where you should have left it. ;)

opening facebook

HardAbandonedChinesecrocodilelizard-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

City eh? Bitch of a draw but away second will suit us.

I'd start Lovren against Deeney tomorrow evening.

The season starts now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

Because we thrash them every time we play them/?

no we don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The ultimate Fraping. Or whatever the Twitter equivalent is...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement