Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

KDB would have been my POTY pick up until recently (even as a Pool fan). Salah now is surely right up there now and possibly even ahead.

Salah just keeps surprising me and proving me wrong, even though I never doubted that we had made a good signing.

Some assumptions I have held about Salah throughout this season that he has proved me wrong on, all starting with "Salah is great but..."

- He's not quite world class

- His finishing may be suspect

- Coutinho is our best / most important player

- KDB should indisputably win POTY

- He'll never come close to Suarez's super season

- He won't win Top Goalscorer

This is coming from someone who was very very happy with his signing and who felt we got a bargain. Had him in my FF team at day 1, was definitely expecting big things from him.

It's just so utterly bizarre (in a good way) that a player I was expecting good things from and was glad we signed has consistently totally shattered all assumptions I made about him, by not just keeping up his consistency but somehow managing to improve as the season has gone on.

It's really phenomenal.

How would people compare him to Suarez's big season? As I said I've always thought that I'd never really see another season like that and as good as Salah has been he would never reach those heights. I'm still undecided and the season isn't over yet, but Salah once again proves me wrong even by the fact I'm asking this question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I think the big test for Salah is next season. Can he keep these levels up? Everyone knows how he plays. Its obvious what he is going to do by for some reason people can't stop him doing it.

Maybe more rotation with Mane next season will keep defenders guessing. It will also be interesting to see what we do with Kieta. I think his bombing forward could be fun but will leave our midfield isolated. Maybe firmino's willingness to drop deep will help that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Mr.H wrote: »
    I think the big test for Salah is next season. Can he keep these levels up? Everyone knows how he plays. Its obvious what he is going to do by for some reason people can't stop him doing it.

Maybe more rotation with Mane next season will keep defenders guessing. It will also be interesting to see what we do with Kieta. I think his bombing forward could be fun but will leave our midfield isolated. Maybe firmino's willingness to drop deep will help that?
    Kieta will hopefully add to the other teams worries next season when we are attacking and will free Mo up even more,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There is no reason Salah can’t continue to score at the same kind of rate.

He was a 1 in 2 goal scorer in Italy and for Egypt where he had defensive duties as well.

What he has gotten differently at Liverpool is he has been given free license to go anywhere he wants up front and not to worry about tracking back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Salah's had some season by his standards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohamed_Salah

113 goals in 291 appearances is good going but 36 in 40 for Liverpool is mind boggoling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Couldn't remember what I had to say about Salah when we signed him, so went back and had a look.
    Salah is absolute chaos.

His main issue before was that he was also chaos in terms of his end product, missing easy chances or miscuing the final ball. But he was still creating an absolute tonne. It was almost like his feet were too quick for his brain. He's always been a hell of a lot of fun to watch. Anyone remember him in the Europa with Fiorintina a few years ago? You'll know exactly what I'm on about.

In the past year he has become a lot more composed and its really helped take his game up a notch. He's still only 24 and he has some experience in this league, so I'm very hopeful that he can continue his clear progression and retain that composure and clinicalness that he had last season. Roma fans also state how much his tracking back and work rate improved under Spalletti.

I'm pretty excited to see him play for us, I have to say. He also has a player in Mane who can actually keep up with him on those mental counter attacks of his. That'll be an interesting watch to say the least.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103868273&postcount=1622

Like Morzadec, I was very happy with the signing, but don't think I could ever have dreamed of him hitting 40 goals. Insane stuff.

I don't think it's even sunk in yet for me. It'll be another while before I properly grasp what he's achieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I made some puns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Grayditch wrote: »
    I made some puns.

Same here...in fact I'm still in the Nile about what I might have said at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Same here...in fact I'm still in the Nile about what I might have said at the time

Leaving him off a list of the world’s best players would not be a Pharaoh mission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    At that price he's basically a free agent - can pick any club in the world he wants. Doubt it'll be Liverpool to be honest.

I doubt anyone of note would be interested that would be as attractive as Klopp and Liverpool though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I doubt anyone of note would be interested that would be as attractive as Klopp and Liverpool though.

Depends on what clubs he finds attractive I guess, but at that price, Juve, Madrid, Barca, Bayern, PSG and Man City would definitely all be very interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

"The Debate" on Sky now about to discuss "Keeping Mo Salah".

They really want a transfer saga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

murpho999 wrote: »
    "The Debate" on Sky now about to discuss "Keeping Mo Salah".

They really want a transfer saga.

Sells subscriptions.

He won't move this summer.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Sells subscriptions.

He won't move this summer.

That's what Wright & Belllamy concluded as well but it's just going to be spoken about all of next season if Salah does well again.

Start winning stuff next season might help to keep him at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

murpho999 wrote: »
    That's what Wright & Belllamy concluded as well but it's just going to be spoken about all of next season if Salah does well again.

Start winning stuff next season might help to keep him at the club.

Or this season..

robwen wrote: »
    Or this season..

...yes but nothing is worth winning now as we're out of the FA Cup. #heritage

de Gea and Pogba will be the big summer transfers out of the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Vicxas wrote: »
    Ah lads, spiders..... really!?

They're from Mars.
    Cartman78 wrote: »
    martyos121 wrote: »
    Leaving him off a list of the world’s best players would not be a Pharaoh mission.

Anyone who doesn't see Salah as player of the year is a right Egypt altogether.

That's my best go at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mido

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Them and West Brom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Salah's had some season by his standards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohamed_Salah

113 goals in 291 appearances is good going but 36 in 40 for Liverpool is mind boggoling.

He's such a generous pharoah too, you could see him praying for the volley of the Ings which was cursed to hit the temple of Karnezis. Seems a diamond Giza, he wouldn't look out of place in Gaza's strip, never Titi Camara's though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

garra wrote: »
    He's such a generous pharoah too, you could see him praying for the volley of the Ings which was cursed to hit the temple of Karnezis. Seems a diamond Giza, he wouldn't look out of place in Gaza's strip, never Titi Camara's though!

tumblr_n9cy1k72fk1ty4r17o3_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

All the chatter about us losing our best player where I think Chelsea are the team that could find themselves in a difficult position and have their best players taken.

- likely no Champions League next season
    - will be looking for a new manager (again!)
    - are no longer throwing the cash around
    - recent signings have been very meh (Can Barkley even play football anymore?)
    - Hazard or Courtois yet to sign new deals

If they were to lose those two or mess up their next manager or both they could quickly find themselves in a hole similar to were we found ourselves over the last decade (lacking quality players, declining players). Some may argue losing Courtois wouldn't be a big loss and he has regressed this year but finding even a competent keeper is a struggle as we have found since Reina declined nearly a decade ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    tumblr_n9cy1k72fk1ty4r17o3_500.gif

Ara tis easy to see you've never worked queen nefertiti into a pun about anything, bloody philistine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Not unreasonable to contend that Salah is having as good an individual season this year as Luis Suarez had in 2013 / 14.

His international record is pretty good too - 32 in 56. While it's a detriment to us that he's at the World Cup, it will be interesting to see how he gets on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Reports on the Belgium media that Spurs are looking for £44m for Alderweireld this summer instead of losing him for £25m next summer.

At that price it must be worth putting a bid in whether he wants to come to us or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Reports on the Belgium media that Spurs are looking for £44m for Alderweireld this summer instead of losing him for £25m next summer.

At that price it must be worth putting a bid in whether he wants to come to us or not.
    Too right, that would certainly solidify the back line, and he likes to play a bit of football too. I would even consider going over if we thought it would nail it on, one of the prems best defenders for that price...

This is the International break where players/agents start to talk/hint/leak about their future over the summer.

Can is talking about in the German media as well about his self belief that he can player for a huge club and talks up other European leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Wishful thinking in terms of De Gea. I’d be shocked if Utd let him go. He’s the best keeper in the world and without him they’d be struggling for top 4 imo. Didn’t he sign a new contract recently?

• Advertisement

Can say's he'll be playing for a ''big club'' next season regardless of future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ooooh the suspense is killing me....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Can say's he'll be playing for a ''big club'' next season regardless of future.

If they are a "big club" he'll be struggling to hold down a first place team not playing every week.

Here is, from a neutral source, the case for Salah winning POTY this year (and arguably being considered the best individual season ever if he continues at this rate):

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-fc-news-mohamed-salah-player-of-the-year-de-bruyne-a8265061.html

I forgot that Suarez missed the first 5 matches in his big season. He really could have hit ridiculous figures, easily over 40 PL goals, if he had played a full season and been on penalties.

If you put me on the spot right now to pick a player for my team, Suarez 13/14 vs Salah 17/18, I think I would still lean Suarez. But Salah keeps proving me wrong so I'll reassess come the end of the season!

Can is milking it for all it's worth

poFHwOB.gif

He wants the best deal from Liverpool possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Love those vids, having no commentary makes them pure bliss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Morzadec wrote: »
    Here is, from a neutral source, the case for Salah winning POTY this year (and arguably being considered the best individual season ever if he continues at this rate):

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-fc-news-mohamed-salah-player-of-the-year-de-bruyne-a8265061.html

I forgot that Suarez missed the first 5 matches in his big season. He really could have hit ridiculous figures, easily over 40 PL goals, if he had played a full season and been on penalties.

If you put me on the spot right now to pick a player for my team, Suarez 13/14 vs Salah 17/18, I think I would still lean Suarez. But Salah keeps proving me wrong so I'll reassess come the end of the season!

A prime Suarez in this team would be a Kaiju. He would have laid waste to all before him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think that's what people forget , This team is better than Rodgers team, If prime Suarez was at the tip instead of Bobby(who has been class)  he would get 40 in a season,

corwill wrote: »
    A prime Suarez in this team would be a Kaiju. He would have laid waste to all before him.

Yeah I definitely think that Salah is benefitting hugely from a great team around him, particularly the class of Firmino which has long been recognised by Pool fans and is finally starting to get noticed by pundits.

Whereas with Suarez you felt it was him dragging the rest of the team up by the scruff of the neck.

Salah is very humble in interviews giving credit to his teammates. But he is also right. Not taking anything away from him, but his teammates and Klopp have played a huge part in elevating him to where he is.

For this reason he'd be mad to leave us and I get the sense he thinks this too. At least for another season or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Just watching the inside anfield video, Sadio looks like he's in great form all the time. I get the sense he has a wicked sense of humour about him, always looking for the craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Don't really care if Can goes, he's a decent player but he's not irreplaceable by any means, he arguably doesn't even get into our strongest lineup.

It also means we have a greater chance of singing another midfielder next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Morzadec wrote: »

I'd tend to agree for one point that, in my limited footy nous, it feels like Louis brought out more in the players around him - he literally made Sturridge look and play good and Sterling's development also stepped up around Christmas of that season when the momentum of the season really kicked in. Mo is definitely bringing confidence back into the team, but right now, it still feels like Suarez lifted the overall performance of the team a but more. That's not to any way take from how Bobby and Mane have gelled with Mo, but for now, on balance, it feels like Suarez had a wider impact on the team performance, possibly because he had lesser talents around him to influence....

But then, rose tinted glasses and remember berries and all that....

EDIT: Sorry Morzadec, just saw your post above and I guess I'm just repeating what you said...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Suarez was Firmino with a scoring ability greater than Salah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Suarez was a force of nature. Bending his will upon a game. I've never seen a player consistently impact games in the manner that he did.

He led the charge, and the rest of the team followed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Knex. wrote: »
    Suarez was a force of nature. Bending his will upon a game. I've never seen a player consistently impact games in the manner that he did.

He also annoyed the right people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Knex. wrote: »

His standout performance for me is when we thumped Spurs at WHL 5-0 and he was captain. He was just world class that day.
    He made every player on the pitch better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I couldn't give a flying fúck where Emre Can ends up, with Keita coming in and most likely more I don't really mind him going...

Seems to only do it in the big matches IMO, he's pedestrian for a lot of others where he has started...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Look at it this way, when Salah's signing was announced did anyone think we would be debating him vs Suarez? :D
    I was delighted with the signing, but he has done phenomenally well.
    Agreed about Can leaving, not fussed.
    Missing the football already, bloody internationals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

That season by Suarez was as good a season as any player has ever had in the modern PL era.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement