Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

This a good bit of laugh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Morzadec wrote: »
    Yeah I definitely think that Salah is benefitting hugely from a great team around him, particularly the class of Firmino which has long been recognised by Pool fans and is finally starting to get noticed by pundits.

Whereas with Suarez you felt it was him dragging the rest of the team up by the scruff of the neck.

Salah is very humble in interviews giving credit to his teammates. But he is also right. Not taking anything away from him, but his teammates and Klopp have played a huge part in elevating him to where he is.

For this reason he'd be mad to leave us and I get the sense he thinks this too. At least for another season or two.

I think having a player like Luis inspired those around him to be the best they could be. Hendo and Flanagan looked like they were going to become star players that we could depend on for years. Gerrard found his zest again. Sturridge revelled in the challenge to not be lost in the shadow of Luis. Sterling looked like he was ready to be a world beater while he's only starting to look like that now on a consistent basis (I say only with a big dash of salt given his age; Still a young fella).

Think the team at times this season has struggled to match Salah in comparison and the league table reflects that unfortunately, but we do seem to have hit good form at the crucial part of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Luis was on a different level to any player on the planet that season including the two lads in Spain.

I'd compare Salah this season to Torres's first season more than Luis's season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Not bothered with Can. I'd like to keep him but we can do better and is certainly not a player worth compromising our contact policies for.

What's he calling a big club? I couldn't see him starting at a Bayern or real

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Fieldog wrote: »

This a good bit of laugh....

I hate seeing Owen in a Liverpool Jersey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Luis was on a different level to any player on the planet that season including the two lads in Spain.

I'd compare Salah this season to Torres's first season more than Luis's season.

He really should have won the Balon d’or that year, only for his personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I hate seeing Owen in a Liverpool Jersey

Yeah copped that and grumbled to myself earlier - the little weasel...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

DY18iB9XUAAPNan.jpg:large

"Where's your Angel Revive Natural Alkaline Water Jurgen La?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

DY18iB9XUAAPNan.jpg:large

"Where's your Angel Revive Natural Alkaline Water Jurgen La?"

The gaffer and the apprentice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I can see the look of awe in Klopps eyes.

But yeah, it's current and future manager there imo.

• Advertisement

Klopp absolutely bored senseless in that pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I can see the look of awe in Klopps eyes.

Awe? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Dug up the video

(watching it now, and there's an awful lot of pretend working and awkward pointing done for 'effects'. I think Jay Spearing was the director)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

brevity wrote: »
    Awe? Really?

26vdq9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Christ the bitchiness in here is embarassing sometimes. Are you all school girls in disguise? Pull yourselves together, those catty comments are so so sad - especially given the subject matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Physician, heal thyself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Knex. wrote: »
    Dug up the video

(watching it now, and there's an awful lot of pretend working and awkward pointing done for 'effects'. I think Jay Spearing was the director)

I liked how Klopp spoke about how in his first meeting he brought all the staff together and got the players to talk to them with the belief that all staff at the club are important and working towards the success of the first team.

This is then evidenced in the other "Inside Anfield" as he "low fives" the two security people at the door of the dressing room on his way out before kick off. Good to see,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think that's what people forget , This team is better than Rodgers team, If prime Suarez was at the tip instead of Bobby(who has been class)  he would get 40 in a season,

I'm not sure it is better.

2013 / 14

2.21 ppg in league
    5th round FA Cup (Arsenal away)
    3rd round League Cup (Utd away)

2017 / 18

2.03 ppg in league
    4th round FA Cup (West Brom home)
    3rd round League Cup (Leicester away)
    Quarter Final CL (Man City)

You can make various arguments around context, that maybe the quality of the league is higher now or reference the complication of European football and increased squad depth now, but it isn't clear that we're a better team presently.

Gerrard had a better season in the league that year than any of our midfielders this year; Suarez's overall impact on the field was arguably bigger than Salah or anyone in a Liverpool shirt post Dalglish.

And points per game is ultimately really difficult to ignore as a performance marker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

2013 / 14

2.21 ppg in league

2017 / 18

2.03 ppg in league

You can make various arguments around context, that maybe the quality of the league is higher now or reference the complication of European football and increased squad depth now, but it isn't clear that we're a better team presently.

Gerrard had a better season in the league that year than any of our midfielders this year; Suarez's overall impact on the field was arguably bigger than Salah or anyone in a Liverpool shirt post Dalglish.

And points per game is ultimately really difficult to ignore as a performance marker.

I think he means the team around Salah is better than the team around Suarez was (and therefore Suarez had a bigger impact).

I'd be inclined to agree, I think that 13/14 team with a good striker (but not world class) in Suarez's stead likely fails to make top 4, whereas a good wide forward in Salah's place and we might still be up there challenging.

All hypothetical but I think we were a little bit of a one man team back then, whereas now I think we're more of a complete team with Salah the star of it.

Morzadec wrote: »
    I think he means the team around Salah is better than the team around Suarez was (and therefore Suarez had a bigger impact).

I'd be inclined to agree, I think that 13/14 team with a good striker (but not world class) in Suarez's stead likely fails to make top 4, whereas a good wide forward in Salah's place and we might still be up there challenging.

All hypothetical but I think we were a little bit of a one man team back then, whereas now I think we're more of a complete team with Salah the star of it.

Really don't think we were a one man team.

We had Sturridge, Coutinho, Gerrard and Sterling all playing very well.

Suarez was suspended at the start of that season but he came back into a team who was playing well and been on a good run.

Defence was where we had problems and that cost us the league.

Problem is when Suarez left, he was replaced poorly, Sturridge started to get injuries, Gerrard was in decline and performances suffered leading to a decline in morale.

Then Sterling wanted away and another poor season and Rodgers was bust.

Klopp has come in and organised us better, boosted morale and been very successful in the transfer market.

Got top 4 last season without Salah and has improved us this season. Coutinho leaving has not been a problem so far which is a big difference compared to when Suarez left.

I think Klopp has instilled a better system than what Rodgers had, leading to a better mentality and we're on the way to being a much stronger unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think that's what people forget , This team is better than Rodgers team, If prime Suarez was at the tip instead of Bobby(who has been class)  he would get 40 in a season,

2013 / 14

2.21 ppg in league

2017 / 18

2.03 ppg in league

The question really is if you took Suarez out of the 2013/14 team and Salah out of this team which team would do better ?

The question really is if you took Suarez out of the 2013/14 team and Salah out of this team which team would do better ?

We already have that answer.

Team declined in 14/15 without Suarez and dropped from 2nd place to 7th. Whilst 16/17 side without Salah qualified for top 4.

When Suarez left the whole attack lost that pace and movement that freed up space for the rest and Rodgers struggled.
    Klopp plays with a better system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The defence is better than 13/14. Klopp isnt quite the believer that Rodgers was of just outscoring your opponent.

That backline left in bottom 3 levels of goals, that's where the title was lost. Thrilling football sure it was but lacked an defensive qualities. Gerrard was DM ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

2013 / 14

2.21 ppg in league

2017 / 18

2.03 ppg in league

I'm assuming 2.21 ppg is based on the whole of the 13/14 season ? And the 2.03ppg is where we stand atm with 7 games to go ?

I'm no mathematician so I have no idea whether us winning all 7 will see us surpass 13/14s ppg but i think if you're going to use the PPG argument it should at the end of season with both teams having played the same amount of games .

I'm assuming 2.21 ppg is based on the whole of the 13/14 season ? And the 2.03ppg is where we stand atm with 7 games to go ?

I'm no mathematician so I have no idea whether us winning all 7 will see us surpass 13/14s ppg but i think if you're going to use the PPG argument it should at the end of season with both teams having played the same amount of games .

We're on 63 points now with 7 games left. So maximum points is 84 and that equates to 2.21 per game.

You don't need to be a mathematician to work that out in fairness.

84 points is the same as 13/14 but I think it's unlikely we're going to win all our 7 remaining games to equal that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

brevity wrote: »
    Awe? Really?

Yea, why wouldn't there be?

He's sitting with a Liverpool icon/legend.

Regards which team is better the current or 13/14 team I'd agree with Lloyd, you can't really argue with PPG, Rodgers team won 11 matches in a row and smashed up a lot of teams, 5-1 against Arsenal, 4-0 Spurs, 3-0 away to Utd all incredible results and performances even the 6-3 against Cardiff was ridiculous in it's own way. I think the current team could eventually be better with Klopp in charge but just not quite at that level yet.

Wilson is starting for Wales now in China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

gimli2112 wrote: »
    obviously I'm biased but I can't see anyone deserving player of the season ahead of Salah. People championing KDB ahead of him, this season, makes no sense, to me.

I'd have no issue with KDB winning it really. he's ridiculous.

But put it this way. Salah is on course to have one of the greatest goalscoring English league campaigns of all time, in what is essentially his debut season. it's astonishing.

if Kane was having this sort of season, I genuinely believe he'd win the award quite handily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Wilson is starting for Wales now in China.

Goal Wilson!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Poor China are getting a kicking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Gareth Bale,Karim Benzema + 100 million then you can have Salah .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Let's talk about Salah staying.

If Liverpool win Champions League and Arsenal will Europa league then that leaves only 3 places left in Champions League, as only 5 teams from a country can qualify.
    So if Chelsea go on a run of wins, plus beat Liverpool and Spurs they still could grab 3rd, and if that happened with Spurs finishing 4th they would miss out on Champions league, if Liverpool finish 5th and win Champions League, and Arsenal win Europa league.

Salah is priceless off the pitch as well if used right for marketing purposes in Egypt and North Africa.

Get a major African sponsor in who can use Salah, Mane, Keita & Matip across Continental Africa that is one huge untapped market.

Hey maybe that Nigeria Prince that wants to rest billions in my account will buy the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Mane, Kieta and Salah are a fantastic boost to our African popularity, especially someone as gravitating as Salah.

He wont be leaving this summer, don't you worry.

• Advertisement

Palace will be tricky if they get a break. Vital not to let them score first. They won last time out, maybe that is their win and now a good time to play them.
    Vital to be ahead of United before they play Swansea and City

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Palace are a lot better than there position suggests. They had a terrible run of injuries and a very depleted squad when they faced spurs, utd and Chelsea . They now have cabaye, sakho, zaha and loftus cheek back for when they face us .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I expect we'll finish out our last seven games in a roughly equivalent fashion to our first thirty one.

This two weeks off was another chance for a getaway, is one planned. Crazy all the games we are playing yet we've had a few mini holidays away already this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

What an appalling deal this would be.

Bale, a top class player who can hardly play more than 2 games in a row without being crocked, and Benzema, a very talented but sluggish and low energy player who couldn't be less suitable for our system. 4 goals this season too.

Anyway...

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/players-liverpool-go-regrets-jurgen-14440381

List of our sales under Klopp and whether we regret them or not. Hard to make the case for any of them (bar Coutinho) still playing a role. Allen, maybe?

• Advertisement

Yes Klopp is taking a one week holiday.

He also gave the handful of players (3)not on International duty a week off.

Really would have liked to have kept Lucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

There's no way Madrid would agree to a loan move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Zak Flaps wrote: »

Quality player. I really like his all round play. He can do a bit of everything, and pass forward, not sideways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Quality player. I really like his all round play. He can do a bit of everything, and pass forward, not sideways.
    I like Hendo but can't see him being a regular starter in a team that wins the league, think Naby may be good enough to do half of the job the Hendo does as well or perhaps Jorginho who could do that job well and break the lines.

Like him and was hoping we could do something in January but if we do get him would be a real coup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

VVD named new Netherlands captain.

Salah vs Ronnie tomorrow night.

James Milner joined Twitter today and his first Tweet is an instant classic.

https://twitter.com/JamesMilner/status/976836610934308866

Sponsored and written by the Nike most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

James Milner joined Twitter today and his first Tweet is an instant classic.

https://twitter.com/JamesMilner/status/976836610934308866

Sponsored and written by the Nike most likely.

What makes you think that?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement