Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

RockyIII-Clubber.jpg?resize=600%2C450

Gotta put City away early. Will that be the strategy at Anfield, to come out swinging and try finish this tie in the first half at Anfield. We know we have the tools to blitz them in a 30 minute time frame.
    I think Klopp will go for it.

Surely it's rocky 5, new kid on the block wins his first few bouts but gets knocked out in the end by some of the greatest, its only round 2, they have another 16 to go and 18 to match the greatest ;)

Im a utd fan but theres no 2 better clubs with history in the uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

from guardian
    “A lot of our opponents, people think they defend better, but there are a lot of moments when [their] goalkeepers make spectacular saves and we usually don’t have that – today we had it,” Klopp said.

5a5de74674758f22f7000002.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

cjmc wrote: »
    I think that’s how Klopp approaches every game !

Such high stakes. If there was a time to pull wool over City's eyes it's now. I can't see it though, think it will be a case of out scoring them. That we can do over 180 minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Such high stakes. If there was a time to pull wool over City's eyes it's now. I can't see it though, think it will be a case of out scoring them. That we can do over 180 minutes.

True.
    Outscoiring them would definitely help.

We've scored more, and conceded less goals in Champions League than City. We have by far the best GD than anyone left in the competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

We've scored more, and conceded less goals in Champions League than City. We have by far the best GD than anyone left in the competition.

Not much relevance when city and Liverpool don't have the same opponents, who to say city wouldn't have done better against those same teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

we were lucky to come out of a very bad group, scoring a hundred goals but the other teams were terrible, I mean the crowd that came second couldn't even beat Utd, oh wait they did.

City had easier group. They've not faced a team of note yet, in round of 32 they got Basel also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I'm preparing myself for the worst - probably going to be something like 3-5 over the two legs. It'll be doubly disappointing that Klopp and the team didn't get a shot at any glamour knockout tie against a Real or Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

sabat wrote: »
    I'm preparing myself for the worst - probably going to be something like 3-5 over the two legs. It'll be doubly disappointing that Klopp and the team didn't get a shot at any glamour knockout tie against a Real or Bayern.

Jesus wept man, you make it sound like we're out already.

• Advertisement

City had easier group. They've not faced a team of note yet, in round of 32 they got Basel also.

Shifting the goalposts heh? Can do that also, against teams where city and Liverpool have the same opponents - City outscored Liverpool and conceded less.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

We can beat city, but we are clearly underdogs. I hope we win on Wednesday anyhow to set up the second leg well. A 0-2 defeat or similar would be deflating. We'll tear into them, but that doesn't guarantee anything.

5starpool wrote: »
    We can beat city, but we are clearly underdogs. I hope we win on Wednesday anyhow to set up the second leg well. A 0-2 defeat or similar would be deflating. We'll tear into them, but that doesn't guarantee anything.

I am just grateful it is two legs, think we would be delighted with a score draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I can see us tearing into City early doors but I fear they have the class and composure to withstand it and pass their way round the press and potentially cut us to ribbons. I said it at the time, awful draw for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'd take a ghost goal tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

We are underdogs - that is clear. with Silva back for them also it means we not only have to deal with De Bruyne we have a rested Silva to contend with. It's not going to be a cake walk for them though and we certainly have a decent shot - who knows in football! It will come down to the smaller things ... both teams capable of scoring away from home - i dunno but i have some comfort in knowing that even if we do not get the perfect result at Anfield, at least we know they'll not park the bus in the home leg in any shape or form - we lose 2 nil at home, it's not like they just shut up shop eh!

2 nil at home a superb result.
    My head tells me 2-2 or 1-1 after first leg

... and we got Salah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

what do we do in the first leg? play cagey? or go full retard? we can only play full retard, we dont do cagey. i'll be crying me eyes out in the first leg. lord jaysus, give us something to bring to manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Biggest euro match at home in Anfield in a decade ... we go full guns for it - absolutely no doubt about that. Keep at them for as long as we can muster.

... and see what happens.

Forget Heavy Metal, This is us..

tom.jpg
    Most of the time it pays off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

MD1990 wrote: »
    Should rest players against Everton next week now.

Salah & Firmino in particular. Ings last scored at Goodison I would start him next week.

Hopefully spurs won't do a slippy g either and stay in the top 4 with u. Don't care what happens united.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

MD1990 wrote: »
    Should rest players against Everton next week now.

Salah & Firmino in particular. Ings last scored at Goodison I would start him next week.

Hopefully spurs won't do a slippy g either and stay in the top 4 with u. Don't care what happens united.

What???

MagnificentBrilliantBoaconstrictor-max-1mb.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I'd take a dour 1 nil agg win rather than swashbuckling footie ,just to get past city,they are better than us,no shame in holding back against superior teams sometimes.

I'd take a dour 1 nil agg win rather than swashbuckling footie ,just to get past city,they are better than us,no shame in holding back against superior teams sometimes.

I don't think either team will be sitting back in either leg tbh.

It'll be frantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Spoken as if from a football theory playbook, having never seen a klopp team play before. Control comes at the expense of fire and thunder, of which we will need plenty to defeat city over 2 legs. Sitting back against this team will not bring victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

One of my favourite wins of the season. Beating Palace always is, as they feel like a bogey team for us.

up there will beating Pardew in terms of satisfaction for me.

we were pretty sh Firmino was pretty sh(though his defensive work was sublime as always). Even Salah was off. Plus, our midfield never really got a foothold.

but we won. further proof that we really are a good team.

it has no bearing on Wednesday at all. As i've said on this thread before, a game against City will bear no resemblance to a game against 90% of teams we play every week. they will come at us. they will play out from the back. they will not compromise their style for the sake of sitting back with 10 men behind the ball. both teams will play to their strengths, and it'll be about who can land their shots on the other. it'll be about taking advantage of momentum shifts and scoring when you are on top.

can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Pardew gone from West Brom. Couldn't happen a nicer person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Vicxas wrote: »
    Pardew gone from West Brom. Couldn't happen a nicer person

Dunno if I'm happy or would rather have waited until we'd played them.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

City are going to run right down their left flank ... TAA is out of his depth at this level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Would Clyne be thrown in at RB? Not the best of games to come back in, could be way off the pace.

TAA is fine for 80% of the teams we face as we can make up the odd goal some teams can get through exploiting our right, but up against one of the best teams in Europe its hard to be confident with either TAA/Gomez. In fairness they are playing to the best of their ability and rarely hide, I wouldn't be as critical as some are.......we do want good young players coming through after all. Surely lambasting them for every mistake and wanting them off after 20 odd minutes cant be great on their confidence. Their mistakes that lead to goals are nowhere as bad as some of the senior defenders have been either btw.

Not every young player can be the finished article before they are 20. If we want good young players to turn into top players here we need to give them time.

They are good enough to be squad players currently. No need to be buying in squad players then, save that money for players that can be regulars. The problem though is they have been asked to be first team regulars and will suffer playing top sides. Next season, with Clyne fit, we can pick and choose the games they can develop in. Right now we don't need to slate them for every poor performance IMO, they've had far more good games than poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

TAA will probably be fine at Anfield but he will be destroyed at City if he starts there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Clyne surely needs at least 90 minutes under the belt before taking on a side of City's quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

corwill wrote: »
    Clyne surely needs at least 90 minutes under the belt before taking on a side of City's quality.

Probably more likely to see him coming off the bench at some point and then starting the second leg

I thought CP would have been a good opportunity for Clyne to get minutes....probably further away than we'd like in terms of fitness.

City will be the best team we faced this season....we beat them without Silva who is as devastating as KDB on his day, and that was at our best going forward IMO. I think we should enjoy the ties and realise it will take a huge performance, probably the best in years, to knock City out. We can do it don't get me wrong, I have no fear going into it, but we are underdogs here no doubt about it and going through would be excellent. I think we have the ability to hurt them as much as they can hurt us. It could be the tie of the tournament so far and I'm going to enjoy it instead of worrying about who isn't good enough tbh.

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »
    I thought CP would have been a good opportunity for Clyne to get minutes....probably further away than we'd like in terms of fitness.

That may well have been the plan had we been winning, but we weren't and had to use up the last substitution when Lallana got injured.

Karius
    Matip---Lovren---VVD
    TAA
    Can----Hendo----Robby
    Firmino
    Salah
    Mane

is how I'd go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Karius
    Matip---Lovren---VVD
    TAA
    Can----Hendo----Robby
    Firmino
    Salah
    Mane

is how I'd go.

I don’t think it’s the right game for it but I’d like to see that, especially the front 3 like that.

I’d put Milner in a RB for a bit of solidity and go as per usual with the rest.

One thing I know is one team will have faith on their side, that against all odds even a 2 goal deficit they will emerge the victor. Hope it's us, but for it to be us we need to struggle at times in this tie, and let faith guide us home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I dunno i think a back 3 could work. We need our wing backs on top form for it to work. Especially with Sane and Sterling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

One thing I know is one team will have faith on their side, that against all odds even a 2 goal deficit they will emerge the victor. Hope it's us, but for it to be us we need to struggle at times in this tie, and let faith guide us home.

So.. Use the force

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

How Lovren is still being touted as a starter ever again is baffling to me. The guy is completely unreliable and unpredictable. Even the palace game he could have givem away a penalty late on with shirt tugging and general bundling in the box.

I’d surprise the sh1t out of City and start Migs, Lovren, Moreno, Henderson, Ings and Solanke.

I’d surprise the sh1t out of City and start Migs, Lovren, Moreno, Henderson, Ings and Solanke.

I don't know why you would include The club captain in that list, is it for wind up purposes?

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I don't know why you would include The club captain in that list, is it for wind up purposes?

Henderson has been pretty woeful, he put everyone in trouble with a lame pass v Palace in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Charlie19 wrote: »

Because he's a very average player?

Henderson has been pretty woeful, he put everyone in trouble with a lame pass v Palace in the first half.

Don't forget all the no look passes that never reach a Liverpool player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Don't think it will surprise the "****' or anything else out of City if Hendo starts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Is Can in contention for a starting place or is he still injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s the right game for it but I’d like to see that, especially the front 3 like that.

I’d put Milner in a RB for a bit of solidity and go as per usual with the rest.

Robinson has been excellent recently, as has Milner in midfield. Would be madness to drop one and move the other.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement