Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Robinson has been excellent recently, as has Milner in midfield. Would be madness to drop one and move the other.

Who's Robinson?
    Also I think you're getting your LB and RB confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

I noticed Pep heaping praise on our front 3 saying their unstoppable. Key to stopping Peps teams is the midfield. We need to find a way of stopping both KDB and Silva dictating play. Out high press and energy will give them a world of trouble bit I'm more worried about how long we can press them in the away leg. Against Spurs at Anfield we ran out of gas which was worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

City's big advantage is their midfield, we all know that. We can't challenge them for overall possession of the ball and they'll likely have 65% of the ball in both games. What works for us with our choice of midfielders is that they're mobile, not slow and can cover a a lot of ground, Everton's midfield at the weekend are the complete opposite (Rooney and Schneiderlin) and rightly couldn't even get near them. We're going to compete in midfield through attrition, winning the ball back high up the pitch and getting it as quickly as we can to the front three.

If we we had a group of midfielders who liked to be on the ball but weren't as good as City's that's were we'd be really screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Henderson has been pretty woeful, he put everyone in trouble with a lame pass v Palace in the first half.

Serious case of confirmation bias here. Henderson plays a lot of passes and gets through a hell of a lot of work for the team, that example should not be underestimated. Pep would be surprised and deighted should he not start on Wednesday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Has anyone listened to Klopp on Graham Hunter's pod is it worth a listen?

Hunter does my head in so I don't want to put it on unless it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Ha anyone listened to Klopp on Graham Hunter's pod is it worth a listen?

I have it downloaded but yet to listen. I have similar feelings towards Hunter, he has that big bald head shoved right up his own @rse!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Major underdogs against city so just going to enjoy both games. They are such a good team and it will take some effort to get through against them but you never know. Klopp has done a brilliant job and the club is now in a great position. He has got us through to a CL qf without it impacting on our PL form. Its now looking highly likely we will qualify for the CL again which makes us an even more attractive proposition for players. The experts from that other thread were at pains to point that we only got top 4 last year because we had no Europe. That we would struggle this year because the players would be burnt out from the extra european conmitments and that klopp is a one trick pony that can't beat a team that sets up to defend. Fun times.

@ iused2likebusts
    Off topic and sorry if you've had to explain it before but your username intrigues me. What's the story with it?

I've alway read the user name as I used 2 like biscuits

• Advertisement

I've alway read the user name as I used 2 like biscuits

Why would you not like biscuits any more? That's crazy talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Why would you not like biscuits any more? That's crazy talk.

Maybe he had digestive issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

@ iused2likebusts
    Off topic and sorry if you've had to explain it before but your username intrigues me. What's the story with it?

I set up an account around the time the recession kicked off. It was a stupid joke to do with the whole boom/bust thing as I was posting in another thread. Never got round to changing it. Truth is I always have and still love busts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Started listening he spends the first 1:30 pleading with listeners to subscribe & pay for more Big Interview's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Not gonna lie...That explanation is a bit of a let down.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Not gonna lie...That explanation is a bit of a let down.

Were you expecting him to say he is more of an ass man now? That wouldn't be acceptable in the #metoo culture now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Listening to it now.
    Here is the link if anyone feels like listening too :)

https://player.fm/series/the-big-interview-with-graham-hunter-1000063/jurgen-klopp-for-the-love-of-the-game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I'd be hard pressed to tune into Hunter reading out next week's Lotto numbers, the waffling spunk oboe that he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I always thought it said 'I used 2 like butts'

Balls to the wall for 180+ minutes is how both teams will play neither will change there style for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

5starpool wrote: »
    Were you expecting him to say he is more of an ass man now? That wouldn't be acceptable in the #metoo culture now.

No, of course not.

Actually that was exactly the explanation I wanted to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Billy Gunn has just shed a tear reading your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

I was expecting an explanation that he now bats for the other team and now prefers willies :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Yeah, well whatever his explanation, #ibelievehim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Would be mad to change approaches. We're one of the few teams to have a bit of joy against them. Everyone else sits back, and that approach has only managed to make them draw 3 league games. City have had plenty of practice breaking down much better defences than ours.

We're the only side to beat them in the league, so we'd be mad to do anything other than what we've been doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Wijnaldum has now played 80 games for Liverpool - what are people's thoughts on him? I've been fairly disappointed.

His purple patch of scoring towards the end of last season papered over a lot of cracks. He's 27 and should be in his prime but his good games are just too irregular.

We are crying out for a CM who really stands out and stamps their authority of games in the way that the front three often do.

Tusky wrote: »
    Wijnaldum has now played 80 games for Liverpool - what are people's thoughts on him? I've been fairly disappointed.

His purple patch of scoring towards the end of last season papered over a lot of cracks. He's 27 and should be in his prime but his good games are just too irregular.

We are crying out for a CM who really stands out and stamps their authority of games in the way that the front three often do.

Excellent in games against teams that want to play a bit, but doesn't add much against teams that sit back.

Great at what he does I think, but just feels surplus to requirements in those games where there's no midfield battle to be controlled and he's just there like a third wheel.
    For those games, would be interested to see him play as a 6 actually.

Equally, would like to see him as an option in the front three later in games, or when resting the other lads. Bloody good attacker when he's allowed to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Surprisingly decent left sided centre back!

He'd be ranked fifth out of our midfielders for me, you can watch games and forget he's playing he's on the peripheral so much. He's a fine squad player were he can play league/FA Cup games and allowing rotation in the league/CL but if we bring in a second CM along with Keita and Can's the only one out there won't be a lot of games for him next year I'd think.

Fairly consistently in our good wins over better teams, he's one of our key men though. Brilliant at receiving the ball under pressure, finding a bit of space, and keeping the ball moving. That just happens to not be required in most of our games as the opposition are happy for us to have it in midfield.

• Advertisement

For me Can is hands down the best of our current central midfielders.

There isn't much between the others however Wijnaldum has strengths at holding a ball and recycling it at pace and while under pressure that the just others don't have or can't do.

His weakness comes in games where teams sit deep and are happy to let us have the ball and that can be said for all our central midfielders really.

Ox, Milner and Henderson are all close together for me and good squad players.

Saying that Ox has for me been excellent this season and very unlucky not to have started more game.

Can, Keita & ideally Jorginho would be the midfield starting three for me next season if all was right and Can signed on and Jorginho really is a target.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

The thing about Gini is when he does score they tend to be big goals. He seems to be a "big game" player. No harm in having a player like him around.

On our midfielders, it would be nice if one or two of them could come up with a goal(s) over the two legs, for such a free scoring team they don't chip in with enough goals. Can't remember the last time one of our midfielders rattled one in from distance (not counting Coutinho since he's gone).

Fromvert wrote: »
    On our midfielders, it would be nice if one or two of them could come up with a goal(s) over the two legs, for such a free scoring team they don't chip in with enough goals. Can't remember the last time one of our midfielders rattled one in from distance (not counting Coutinho since he's gone).

Probably Ox against City actually.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Probably Ox against City actually.

That's one but I'd love one flying in the top corner. The one's the moment it leaves their foot you know it's close/flying in. Some poor looking numbers

Can - 4
    Ox - 4
    Milner - 3
    Gini - 2
    Henderson - 1

Fromvert wrote: »
    That's one but I'd love one flying in the top corner. The one's the moment it leaves their foot you know it's close/flying in. Some poor looking numbers

Can - 4
    Ox - 4
    Milner - 3
    Gini - 2
    Henderson - 1

I have a feeling there's a moratorium on taking those types of shots though. Very rare that we try them. I'd say the emphasis is put on keeping possession in dangerous areas and working an opening. Like Trent's the other day, which was so frustrating, when he just smashed it high and wide when we were in a good area.

But I would love more goals from midfielders arriving late, shooting from just around/inside the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,639 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I have a feeling there's a moratorium on taking those types of shots though. Very rare that we try them. I'd say the emphasis is put on keeping possession in dangerous areas and working an opening. Like Trent's the other day, which was so frustrating, when he just smashed it high and wide when we were in a good area.

But I would love more goals from midfielders arriving late, shooting from just around/inside the box.

I’ve noticed that, the last while hardly any potshots from midfield

Grujic seems to be monstering it in the Championship with Cardiff and that's a good sign if he can do it there.

If Cardiff get promoted which looks likely I'd love to have him stay there for a season and see what he can do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

cjmc wrote: »
    I’ve noticed that, the last while hardly any potshots from midfield

Must be some sort of moratorium, even Lucas is banging them in now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

If Cardiff get promoted which looks likely I'd love to have him stay there for a season and see what he can do.

Agreed. And that is what should have happened with Danny Ward and Huddersfield this season.

Could definitely be, there's been a few times lately where a player has a yard or two and is 20-30 yards from goal and there is a chance to shoot but they choose not too even when there's not a lot on. We don't even seem to get free kicks around the box since Coutinho left. Not sure who would be on them anyway, we've seen TAA stick one in and VVD scored a few for Celtic but never saw him hit one at Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'm glad we aren't taking too many low percentage shots from distance, Coutinho got a pass because he was the best at it in the league.

Salah has only scored 4 goals outside the box for us, with 3 of them being a massively deflected shot against Sevilla, his deflected goal in the 3-3 against Arsenal, and scoring from 40 yards into an open net against City. The other was his belter against Southampton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

I really fancied us to beat them in our recent league game and went on the record here that we’d win by 2 maybe 3.

The way we conceded 2 goals late in that match really really concerns me. I think City are almost unstoppable when they are looking for a goal.

I don’t fancy us to go through over two legs against City and all I’ll be bringing into this game is hope.

I think our best chance might be going into the lead very late in the second leg. So if we are only 1 down with 10-15 minutes to go in the second leg I’ll be happy enough with that and to see what unfolds.

• Advertisement

I don't think he's improved since he came here. Same player that left Newcastle and he's been pretty much the player most of the Newcastle fans weren't overly bothered to see leave.

With lallana injured there's a nice run in games coming up for him to show us what he's about. Two games against city are ideal for him you'd imagine .....

Not a bad signing...but.I hope ox makes a bigger impact than wij has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Any word on Lallanas injury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

We've waited years to have a Champions League night like tomorrow night back on the agenda. The Europa League with the Dortmund game was a nice reminder of the big European nights, but this is the real deal.

Hopefully Anfield will be rocking. We'll be up against it in the away leg, so we really need to get a foothold on the tie tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I think we'll need a really solid result in the first leg to have a chance to win the tie. Something like a 2-0 win. Try to nick an away goal in the second leg and hold on for dear life.

Unfortunately I just can't see it. They're awesomely good.
    Really looking forward to it though, it's been too long and it's great to think we'll probably qualify again for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I'm also a non believer about the 2 legs. I think it will be a close match. Maybe then going through on away goals or 1 extra goal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement