Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Be nice if reaching the QF has added enough coefficient points to be seeded 2nd next year. The group was as easy as could have been hoped for as 3rd seeds this year.
    Unlikely to be as lucky again next year if still seeded 3rd.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Daemonic wrote: »
    Be nice if reaching the QF has added enough coefficient points to be seeded 2nd next year. The group was as easy as could have been hoped for as 3rd seeds this year.
    Unlikely to be as lucky again next year if still seeded 3rd.

I suspect we'll still be 3rd seeds although I haven't seen any recent rankings table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

I think we need to score first tomorrow night to be in with a chance. I know we've shown that we can overcome being a goal down but City are a different team. I do think that over the two legs whoever goes through will probably go through on Away goals. I say Klopp's plan will be to go in and outscore them besides sitting back doesn't suit Liverpool's team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

If lovern doesn't play Liverpool have a great chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Felix Brych, German Referee, is the ref for the game.

Believe he's regarded as the best in Europe, so at least that. Be nice to be confident in the officiating for once. Standard in the PL these days is appalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭facehugger99

brevity wrote: »

There was a very interesting interview with Lovern in the Sunday Times at the weekend. He spoke about the defensive system at Liverpool and how he is tasked with attacking balls as opposed to dropping off. The way he describes it is high risk where mistakes are amplified (ie Spurs away), but that it's critical to the way Klopp wants the game played - high risk/high reward.

He also spoke about his childhood and having to flee the Bosnian war, having to settle in a new country, etc. He does charity work for refugee causes now.

Came across as a really decent guy. Unfairly targeted by some supporters IMO.

brevity wrote: »

Matip is nearly as bad overall but with Lovren the likelihood of total calamitous defending is always feared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

Guess that means Lovern will be partnering Van Djik at the back now for the rest of the season

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/981123934291742720?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think Matip has been pretty poor this season. Over the course of the season, Lovren is probably having a better season.

The only thing is, Lovren is a lot more prone to big game-changing errors.

Both sides of the coin - higher risk of mistakes / better form.

Yeah, been disappointed with Matip. I thought he was solid last year, and his passing from the back is still largely on point, but he's just not aggressive enough in the 1v1 situations to command confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Personally I don't think there is much between Lovren and Matip at all,
    Lovren got slated for the United goal where Lakaku got a flick on but Matip was worse for Palaces goal the weekend, He was all over the place didn't challenge for the header or drop off,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Came across as a really decent guy. Unfairly targeted by some supporters IMO.

Personally I think all Liverpool fans have heard his stories & would prefer he not constantly talk to the press instead focus on his on pitch performances & spend time with his family off it like most players do. Anyone who is struggling in any job has to work through it not talk about criticism affecting them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I prefer Matip to Lovren, purely because I think he's calmer, and I like calmness in my backline.

But Lovren is not a massive downgrade. if VVD can just calm him the fúck down, he can still be an excellent defender on his day. Plus, he's unlikely to have Moreno next to him compounding it.

Matip turns like an oil tanker, so when he's beaten, he's well and truly beaten. he has good anticipation, and reads the game well, but he has no recovery pace at all.

we need another upgrade in CB if we're honest.

With Gomez out too for a while we are very light at cb all of a sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

Matip much too passive for me - does not attack the ball or support the high line as per Klopps gameplan. Lovren is an agressive defender who puts himself in positions where mistakes look dreadful. He has definitely looked more compfortable with VVD beside him.

As for TAA - unlikely he will have high direct balls played on inside channel for either game against city. If he has the pace to curtail Sane on outside then I have no fears. It will be a question of support from wider midfielders to plug the gaps that appear as City stretch the defence left and right. The double threat of KDB and Silva are almost impossible to contain for 90 mins. Goals will be required and at least 4 over teh two legs might jsut see LFC through but this City team are No.1 in Europe for me and if they win should go all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

robwen wrote: »

There that night and cried like a baby..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

5starpool wrote: »
    With Gomez out too for a while we are very light at cb all of a sudden.

Anyone heard how that young Irish lad has been doing at Yeovil? If we are stuck could be worth a call back. Failing that there are some big lads in the reserves who could just as easily miss a tackle high up the pitch or not jump with opposition attackers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Matip is better than Lovren but he lacks any sort of aggression.

Big blow with him being out. Lovren can be playing well at times then get overconfident & make a huge error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Klavan is better than both IMO. Unlucky to be frozen out since VVD came in. Thought he was playing the best out of the 3 centre backs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

rob316 wrote: »
    Klavan is better than both IMO. Unlucky to be frozen out since VVD came in. Thought he was playing the best out of the 3 centre backs.

It was mentioned he got very sick & lost a lot of weight. May not be 100%.

That's true actually. He was playing really well during the Christmas period. Got injured, VVD joined, and he hasn't had a look in since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Delighted that barring a dramatic collapse in league form we will be in the champions league again next season.

2 years in a row represents real progress, not the usual one step forward two steps back we have experienced over the last 10 years.

I will definitely be expecting a serious challenge for the title in the next 2 seasons.

I had actually totally forgotten about big Ragnar for some reason. Has had a bit of a raw deal alright.

I will definitely be expecting a serious challenge for the title in the next 2 seasons.

Rather than a serious challenge for the title, points progression is more measurable. If City get 100 points a season it is unlikely that anyone will seriously challenge for the title. They won't continue to do that of course, but this season we will hopefully get around 80 points, which is an improvement on the 76 last season, especially when you factor in Europe.

Getting 80+ points against should be the target and not have whether we actually challenge for the title on the event there is a similar season to this, govern whether we are progressing or not.

Delighted that barring a dramatic collapse in league form we will be in the champions league again next season.

2 years in a row represents real progress, not the usual one step forward two steps back we have experienced over the last 10 years.

I think people are over looking how massive this is for the club,
    Hopefully for a second summer we can attract players with the offer of champions league football ,
    With Keita joining and VVD and Robertson looking settled, a few good signing and we might be winning trophies again soon ,
    This summer will be huge, we will have a almost a whole team of  players Jurgen bought and wanted

• Advertisement

So what people going for in midfield and right full tomorrow ?
    I think Hendo, OX and Gini in the middle, and right full anyone but Trent but I don't think we have anyone else,

MD1990 wrote: »
    It was mentioned he got very sick & lost a lot of weight. May not be 100%.

I thought that was Gini?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No Ragnar hasn't been injured or sick he has been playing for his Country he's just not getting in match day squads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Lovern for rest of season. A chance to prove him self in the semi and final of Champions League .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I think Hendo, OX and Gini in the middle, and right full anyone but Trent but I don't think we have anyone else,

Henderson, Milner and Ox for me.

TAA will start at RB.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    Felix Brych, German Referee, is the ref for the game.

Believe he's regarded as the best in Europe, so at least that. Be nice to be confident in the officiating for once. Standard in the PL these days is appalling.

We’d want him for the second leg.

You always want a terrible ref for the home leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Hendo, Ox & Can if all available. Otherwise Milner for Can, also don't object to Milly at RB if required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Scenes like this expected tomorrow with City fans on Blue Moon crying about it

liverpool-fans-1.jpg
    JS110083297.jpg
    160505-054-Liverpool_Villarreal.jpg
    Liverpool-FC-v-Southampton-in-the-EFL-Cup-semi-final-second-leg-at-Anfield.jpg

That news on Matip has just ruined any little hope I had.

Lovern on the pitch for 180 minutes will only mean one thing.

Can someone in the UK call the fraud squad and report him for impersonating a footballer ?

Maybe they can make an arrest before the game.

If Jose could exploit him can you imagine what Pep will do ?

Pure and utter disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Focus won't be an issue for Lovern in these games. The atmosphere simply won't allow a drop in concentration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Gomez, Can, Lallana and Matip all injured in the last week or so. Bit of rotten luck that.

Really going to weaken the subs bench and our ability to rotate the squad in the final weeks of the season.

garra wrote: »

Hendo, Ox & Can if all available.  Otherwise Milner for Can, also don't object to Milly at RB if required.
    I think Gini will be used for his energy levels in this one I think he is vital tomorrow,

That news on Matip has just ruined any little hope I had.

Lovern on the pitch for 180 minutes will only mean one thing.

Can someone in the UK call the fraud squad and report him for impersonating a footballer ?

Maybe they can make an arrest before the game.

If Jose could exploit him can you imagine what Pep will do ?

Pure and utter disaster.
    Matip is worse, did you see him for Palace goal the weekend, No mans land doesn't compete with Benteke but doesn't drop either just got lost, Matip is awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

#bringbackRagnar

If Henderson plays and picks up a yellow he is out of the second leg.

• Advertisement

Hendo has to forget that and play full blooded, win the first leg then worry about the second one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

So the narrative might be 'When Henderson got that yellow against City, I knew it was all over' going forward?

Is Can out of the game tomorrow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Presser starting at 3 with Klopp and Robertson..... any links going?

edit: http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/296195-jurgen-klopp-press-conference-manchester-city

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Klavan out. Can will be very close but doubtful.

Mane 34 games 15 goals 9 assists.

Firmino 43 games 23 goals 13 assists.

Salah 42 games 37 goals 12 assists.

And one player that didn't play in the first two games a real on the pitch leader and captain. VVD.

This is the team I would start.

Karius

Milner
    Lovren
    VVD
    Robertson

Ox
    Can
    Wijnaljum

Salah
    Firmino
    Mane

D'Agger wrote: »
    So the narrative might be 'When Henderson got that yellow against City, I knew it was all over' going forward?

Just like 2014 when he got the red vs City.

Mane 34 games 15 goals 9 assists.

Firmino 43 games 23 goals 13 assists.

Salah 42 games 37 goals 12 assists.

And one player that didn't play in the first two games a real on the pitch leader and captain. VVD.

This is the team I would start.

Karius

Milner
    Lovren
    VVD
    Robertson

Ox
    Can
    Wijnaljum

Salah
    Firmino
    Mane

Milner won't be at full back. I'm not saying it wouldn't make sense, but he won't.

5starpool wrote: »
    Milner won't be at full back. I'm not saying it wouldn't make sense, but he won't.

I know TAA will start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd have Klavan over Lovren just swap VVD to the right
    gafferino wrote: »
    Klavan out. Can will be very close but doubtful.

Why is Klavan out? He's not played for months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement