Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Henderson outstanding as well. I still dont understand how people still question him, for liverpool and england. And more often than not its our own fans with the most snide comments. He was in monster mode again last night. I'm glad to have him as captain of Liverpool, long may it continue.

He made 1 dodgy pass (although I still think we recovered it) in the first 10 minutes and everyone jumped on that, but then little enough was said about anything else.

To be fair, we only played any kind of football for 45 minutes, and even then it wasn't centered around consistent, direct, metronomic passes.

Henderson's level of passing is not top class, even though he can pick out a raking ball or a through ball, but if we can get to a stage where he can't get in the team, it'll mean we have one of the best midfields in the world.
    We could end up spending over £100m on Keita and Jorginho and Hendo will still be in there whenever he's fit.

He makes the whole team better with everything he does.
    As far as skill goes, he's a bit of a jack of all trades, but he's more tactically switched on, has a better eye for danger than anyone else we have, and of course there's the physical attributes as well.

People slag him off for pointing. Yeah, well when Can is in there, there's holes all over midfield and sometimes he forgets to track runners. We need someone who sees the picture of what we're doing in midfield. Can sees only his own game. That's why we need Hendo in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

Gotta say I thought TAA had a fantastic game. He made one or two small mistakes in the second half, but overall was my MOTM. He had Sane in his pocket!

I thought after 30-40 mins of hard pressing that the team started to tire (naturally)....I was worried in the second half that we started to drop back more and more. We can't do that in the second leg.

Front 3 had a good game again...just hope Mane & Salah havent got anything other than a niggle.

I thought Ox didnt do as well when he pushed into the forwards, but had a good first half and scored a very well taken goal.

Solanke...well hes young and not had so much game time is all I'll say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Is it just me or did it look like Hendo purposely got a yellow ?
    He really had no need to make the tackle there was plenty of cover ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

He looked pretty down about it in the post-match, and argued about the decision so I'd say not.

If this was some middling German side I might believe it but the tie isn't over.

First minute, Aguero rounds Karius, VVD handles it off the lines, penno, down to 10.

Then what?

There's a lot of situations where City can outscore us by 4 goals because they're brilliant. They can do it without anything going wrong, but losing our captain, with Can and Salah possibly being out is what we're already looking having to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Gbear wrote: »
    He made 1 dodgy pass (although I still think we recovered it) in the first 10 minutes and everyone jumped on that, but then little enough was said about anything else.

To be fair, we only played any kind of football for 45 minutes, and even then it wasn't centered around consistent, direct, metronomic passes.

Henderson's level of passing is not top class, even though he can pick out a raking ball or a through ball, but if we can get to a stage where he can't get in the team, it'll mean we have one of the best midfields in the world.
    We could end up spending over £100m on Keita and Jorginho and Hendo will still be in there whenever he's fit.

He makes the whole team better with everything he does.
    As far as skill goes, he's a bit of a jack of all trades, but he's more tactically switched on, has a better eye for danger than anyone else we have, and of course there's the physical attributes as well.

People slag him off for pointing. Yeah, well when Can is in there, there's holes all over midfield and sometimes he forgets to track runners. We need someone who sees the picture of what we're doing in midfield. Can sees only his own game. That's why we need Hendo in there.

Excellent post, well said.

Regards the pointing thing thankfully it's only a very small minority of people that seemingly think it's a crime to point on a football field and that Hendo seems to do it a lot more than anyone else. I'll be honest I've never even noticed him pointing, some people will go out of their way to find any faults though as they are far too entrenched in their agendas and must find something to whinge about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

City beat us 5-0 this season already. Anything is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

In work today and colleagues are still saying that Liverpool have a poor defence.

Don’t think they saw what Liverpool defence did to City last night, TAA with a Man of the Match performance against Mane, VVD was fantastic: totally commanded the defence. Lovren, the one most likely to make a stupid error, is benefitting from having VVD beside him and looked solid last night. Roberstson had a great game and looks to be one of our best signings in recent years.

Kariius, has grown in confidence since coming back in the side and I think he has benefitted from having a more assured back four in front of him. He may well be upgraded in the summer, but he was fine last night. Didn’t have a lot to do.

I don’t think other fans are giving them the credit they deserve for keeping a top side’s attack at bay.

As for Hendo, great performance last night. He’s not Gerrard and should not be judged on a misplaced pass. He offers much more to the team than that and a lot of his work seems to go unnoticed by many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why would he do that?

I actually don't think it was a yellow at all. Foul, yes but not every foul is a yellow card despite what many fans think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

VVD in our defence is priceless. His impact since his arrival is borderline immeasurable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

City play at home on Saturday ,I would imagine a weakened side, league will follow anyway,we should do the same,it's what klopp was alluding to post match. I'd take a look to toffees to see us through on Tuesday every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Knex. wrote: »

No stupid red cards, a different defence and not having to chase the game should hopefully mean no repeat of that score line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I was at the 2005 semi against Chelskie so can only imagine what the atmosphere was like last night with an extra 10,000 inside the ground..

The only thing that makes me happier in this world then watching Liverpool on big nights in Europe is watching my daughter grow into an adult...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

City play at home on Saturday ,I would imagine a weakened side, league will follow anyway,we should do the same,it's what klopp was alluding to post match. I'd take a look to toffees to see us through on Tuesday every time.

No way city play a weakened side. They will want to beat United at home to win the league.

City don't have the away goal, its absolutely huge, Pep knows it too.

It's not over but we will score so City realistically need 5 goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

murpho999 wrote: »
    In work today and colleagues are still saying that Liverpool have a poor defence.

I don’t think other fans are giving them the credit they deserve for keeping a top side’s attack at bay.

I agree - same experience here.

"Sure with Liverpool's defence, they could easily concede 5 or 6 next week."

I mean, it's not beyond the realms of possibility for sure but I think most of these fans are so caught up in the "narrative of football" that they ignore what's actually in front of them. Our defence has improved considerably since adding Van Dijk, with Robertson particularly brilliant. Karius has been fine of late, Lovren and Alexander-Arnold were excellent last night.

Same for Milner and Henderson in the middle (the latter will be a big loss despite the nonsense spouted by some on here and elsewhere) but people are so rigid in their opinions - Pool have a bad defence/GK, Guardiola can't organise a defence, Spurs will always bottle it - that they can't actually concede the fact that these things can and have changed. Guardiola's defence has conceded fewer goals than anyone else in the league, Spurs have real steel to them and we aren't conceding 2/3 goals per game anymore.

Anyway, rather than getting hung up on what other people say, last night was a lot of fun and, for me, that's what football needs to be - escapism, fun.

TAA, Robertson, Lovren, Henderson and Milner were excellent and I can't fault many of the others. Very excited for Tuesday.

VVD in our defence is priceless. His impact since his arrival is borderline immeasurable.

Was watching him closely last night. Forever organising, and talking to the other defenders and keeper. Without a doubt he's the leader back there.

Brilliant defender too.

No stupid red cards, a different defence and not having to chase the game should hopefully mean no repeat of that score line
    Isn't football funny, That 5-0 loss could be a blessing , the players will remember that day and know now they have to  be 100% up for it or City can slaughter us,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Outstanding performance last night any word on Mo's injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Patiently waiting now for the 'When I'm Liverpool' video of last night

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yes it's just you.

Even as not a fan of Henderson he was unlucky to get a yellow for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Henderson outstanding as well. I still dont understand how people still question him, for liverpool and england. And more often than not its our own fans with the most snide comments. He was in monster mode again last night. I'm glad to have him as captain of Liverpool, long may it continue.

Snide comment makers about our own players are best left ignored in my experience.
    Some people just need a scape-goat to batter, the same people will always have 1 or 2 favorite "go-to" abuse victims, will compound and express their loftily held view that player X absolutely needs to be sold if we are to progress.

It's usually because they don't understand the game very well and can only measure the worth of a player in terms of goals / assists or crunching tackles, some high impact moments of glory. They don't care for the niggly work of covering passing lanes, keeping in position, cajoling team mates, intercepting and maintaining possession... and I guess they never will!

Yes it's just you.

Even as not a fan of Henderson he was unlucky to get a yellow for that.
    I'm a fan of Hendo I just think his reaction was odd,
    For the record I think he is vital to the way we play and one of the most underated players in England

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

murpho999 wrote: »

Don’t think they saw what Liverpool defence did to City last night, TAA with a Man of the Match performance against Mane, VVD was fantastic: totally commanded the defence. Lovren, the one most likely to make a stupid error, is benefitting from having VVD beside him and looked solid last night. Roberstson had a great game and looks to be one of our best signings in recent years.

Kariius, has grown in confidence since coming back in the side and I think he has benefitted from having a more assured back four in front of him. He may well be upgraded in the summer, but he was fine last night. Didn’t have a lot to do.

As for Hendo, great performance last night. He’s not Gerrard and should not be judged on a misplaced pass. He offers much more to the team than that and a lot of his work seems to go unnoticed by many.

Sound like a bitter lot, enjoying the morning myself in work. ;) How anyone can take away from that 2nd half effort is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

This weekend I would rest most but try to field a team that can win. The last thing we want is to lose momentum and end up outside the top 4.

Start migs. If possible clyne. Moreno will come in. Henderson and Wjini could both play. Up front Ings Solanke should start. That leaves us looking for 2 center backs a midfielder and someone up top. Obviously we have loads of young talent that could play up top. Midfield and defence we are struggling.

Any idea how long Klaven and Gomez will be out?

Its funny all of a sudden we look like the squad is very thin ,
    Id go
    Karius
    Clyne VVD Lovren Moreno
           Gini Hendo  ?
            Woodburn        
          Ings  Solanke ,

• Advertisement

I wouldn't drop Karius for the Everton game.

I think Klopp will still pick Fun Bobby and Mane.

Karius

Clyne
    Lovren
    Ragnar
    Moreno

Henderson

Ox
    Wijnaldum

Ings
    Woodburn
    Solanke

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Henderson isn't brilliant at anything but is capable of doing everything that is required of a midfielder. He is hugely underappreciated by a lot of our fan base. Last night he was excellent and his bravery in receiving the ball from our keeper and back 4 helped us get out many times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Woodburn is injured no?

I'd say it'll be a strong side with maybe Moreno, Ings and Wijnaldum coming into the side, remainder as-is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Henderson isn't brilliant at anything but is capable of doing everything that is required of a midfielder. He is hugely underappreciated by a lot of our fan base. Last night he was excellent and his bravery in receiving the ball from our keeper and back 4 helped us get out many times.

While I agree that Henderson is underappreciated by our fans and underrated in general, I disagree that he's 'capable of doing everything'. That's precisely the problem a lot of fans have with him, I think, that he's not a complete enough midfielder to build the midfield around. He's not Gerrard, or Souness, or Hamann, or Alonso, or Whelan, or Mascerano. Very few can be held to those sort of standards, and come away without criticism. That's not terribly fair, but it's a reality at Liverpool.

He's very, very good at certain things, much of it unglamorous, but he's being asked to do too much, by virtue of being surrounded by midfielders who are as incomplete, perhaps even less complete. His range of passing and creativity are not what you would hope for in an LFC captain and/or who's the first choice midfielder. But that's not his fault that he's not Gerrard, the club have left him carrying the can for inadequate recruitment in a key area, to a degree. And fair ****s to him, he's done his very best to try and be what we need, he absolutely can't be faulted for effort.

Edit - Just to say that comparing Henderson to some of his more illustrious predecessors is especially harsh, when you look at who most of those guys had playing beside them, and around them. Jordan hasn't had that luxury.

With the right guy beside him, he has tons to offer, we just need that right guy, hopefully it will be Keita, hopefully midfield recruitment won't end there. He was fantastic in '13/'14, and arguably even better again the following season, while it was all going to sh!te around him. The plantar fascitis has taken a toll on him, but on a number of occasions this season, not least last night, he's shown signs of the '13-'15 version of himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

garra wrote: »
    Snide comment makers about our own players are best left ignored in my experience.
    Some people just need a scape-goat to batter, the same people will always have 1 or 2 favorite "go-to" abuse victims, will compound and express their loftily held view that player X absolutely needs to be sold if we are to progress.

It's usually because they don't understand the game very well and can only measure the worth of a player in terms of goals / assists or crunching tackles, some high impact moments of glory. They don't care for the niggly work of covering passing lanes, keeping in position, cajoling team mates, intercepting and maintaining possession... and I guess they never will!

I think it's fantastic that you're taking this principled stand against point-scorers on here. Let this post be a shining example to all in the war against the scourge of sub-textual axe-grinding and personalised sniping on this forum. Onward comrades!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Remember when he was being labelled a flop after only a handful of games by the neutrals? Absolutely ridiculous knee-jerking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

just to wax lyrical about that performance last night, because, y'know, I'm a little bored...

firstly, the bus thing. not ideal. the few hooligans didn't do anyone else any favours. but Pep can fúck off with any hint of this damaging our 'prestige'. while it wasn't great, and I'd have preferred it not to happen, man up. you're in a bus, that is probably reinforced. nothing happened to the players, nor was ever going to happen. they were completely protected, and as Gundogan said afterwards, it's categorically had no impact on the match, and in fact, it would've spurred the City players on, if anything. Those players will have seen and experienced far worse than that. They're not snowflakes.

so the bus thing needs to be forgotten about. Liverpool have rightly apologised. That's it.

The game was incredible to watch. I thought we started poorly enough. Salah lost the ball every time he got it in the first 10 minutes. We couldn't get a grip of the ball, or the game in general, and it seemed as though Pep's tactical play of packing midfield with the addition of Gundogan, seemed to be working. a lot of the possession, however, was slow, ponderous and predictable. They were trying to hammer our right side, assuming that Sane would destroy TAA. however, with Mane and Henderson being disciplined in their defending, and TAA having a coming-of-age performance, Sane and Pep were metaphorically told to fúck off with that plan. and they had no plan B.

or at least it was too late before they could implement a plan B, because we gloriously blitzed them in half an hour, and could've had more. City were quickly in a position where they didn't know if they should keep attacking (risking letting in more), or sit in and go into a period of damage limitation, because KDB and Silva were being overrun. it was a sight to behold. they looked old and slow - the two of them. one of the best moments of the half was when Silva was about 25 yards out. he was taking his time picking a pass (because I'd say he's so used to teams just sitting on the edge of their box waiting for him to pull the trigger), and Milner comes in from behind, takes the ball aggressively and cleanly, and you can see Silva throw his arms up in frustration.

glorious. absolutely fúcking glorious.

Salah is a machine. makes goalscoring look so frighteningly easy. the ball is a magnet to him in the box. he has this weird inate ability to arrive where the ball is going to drop. City should be ashamed of that first goal though. Otamendi selling himself in the box. Walker dithering. Awful. They looked like mugs. and it was glorious. absolutely fúcking glorious.

the second goal was pure Kloppball. harass the fúck out of them. be aggressive. be there for the second ball. Ox with a dream of a first touch, and a shot borrowed from Stevie G's top drawer.

the third came as we continued with the momentum, but Laporte's defending was utterly laughable. it's like the back 4 are not actually coached to defend. they're coached to press, anticipate and pass. but when the back 4 is actually being attacked, it's amateurish. Salah was shown onto his best foot, TWICE. and when he crossed the second time, i'm pretty sure 2 or 3 of our players could've scored. hilarious, and utterly glorious.

then, in the second half, for all City's possession, and for all the nerves I felt, Karius didn't have one proper save to make. that is astonishing given the (more than justified) narrative before the game. Lovren didn't make a mistake, which tbh, floors me. it was one of those games where he looks like a proper defender. i don't want to assume it's because of VVD, because assuming that is automatically insulting, but I'm sure it helps. VVD is a fúcking beast. i'm all of a sudden not scared of corners. it's lovely, actually. a really nice change from shing myself at least half a dozen times a game.

Robertson - Roberto Carlos has nothing on him.
    TAA - get the fúck out, San
    Milner - Silva's shadow.
    Henderson - a wall in the centre. no nonsense. showed his value - something I often underestimate.
    Ox - force of nature. buzzing. looks at home. knows his job, and is loving it. he's playing as much with us as he did Arsenal, but you can see he trusts Klopp and the club. honestly, i thought it at the time because of my faith in Klopp, but the fee will turn out to be a bargain IMO.
    Firmino - superb as ever defensively, leading the press. got tired, and i hope it's all not catching up on him. not great offensively, but still made his mark for the first goal.
    Mane his touch in the first half was Salah-esque. the man never stopped.
    Salah - machine. there's nothing more you can say.
    Solanke - what a call by Klopp to put him on for Firmino with 20 minutes to go. made an impact. turned City and gave them something to think about. cute management.

the tie is obviously only half over, but if you can't revel in what you watched last night, then you need to stop watching football, and you need to stop supporting Liverpool. last night is why you're a supporter. it was engulfing. the atmosphere was tangible through the TV. the performance matched what the fans gave. absolutely brilliant.

we are a force to be fúcking reckoned with. City have 3 goals in them at home. that's obvious. we must nick a goal at their place, or else I can see it getting very tricky. but let's be honest, one foot should be in that semi final. Klopp gave off the right vibes in playing it down, and refocusing everyone on Everton, even having a moan at the time we're playing at. Love it! but if we're aspiring to be a big club and be at the big table of the Champions League for the foreseeable future, then this is a lead that you cannot let go of. it would be criminal; absolutely criminal, to let this go.

Pep played into our hands in the end, but fúck him. he tried a tactical switch away from the way the team have been playing all season, and got beaten. i saw Gundogan still peddling the line that they were 'unlucky' in the first half with the way the goals went in, and how quickly. Pep had the same excuse in the 4-3 - that they were controlling the game, and it was only these 'minutes of madness' that cost them. let them believe that. let them believe that they've been largely in control of both games.

now, bring on Everton on Saturday. beat that lot with our B team, then finish the job on City next week.

glorious.

SlickRic wrote: »
    just to wax lyrical about that performance last night, because, y'know, I'm a little bored...

firstly, the bus thing. not ideal. the few hooligans didn't do anyone else any favours. but Pep can fúck off with any hint of this damaging our 'prestige'. while it wasn't great, and I'd have preferred it not to happen, man up. you're in a bus, that is probably reinforced. nothing happened to the players, nor was ever going to happen. they were completely protected, and as Gundogan said afterwards, it's categorically had no impact on the match, and in fact, it would've spurred the City players on, if anything. Those players will have seen and experienced far worse than that. They're not snowflakes.

so the bus thing needs to be forgotten about. Liverpool have rightly apologised. That's it.

The game was incredible to watch. I thought we started poorly enough. Salah lost the ball every time he got it in the first 10 minutes. We couldn't get a grip of the ball, or the game in general, and it seemed as though Pep's tactical play of packing midfield with the addition of Gundogan, seemed to be working. a lot of the possession, however, was slow, ponderous and predictable. They were trying to hammer our left side, assuming that Sané would destroy TAA. however, with Mané and Henderson being disciplined in their defending, and TAA having a coming-of-age performance, Sané and Pep were metaphorically told to fúck off with that plan. and they had no plan B.

or at least it was too late before they could implement a plan B, because we gloriously blitzed them in half an hour, and could've had more. City were quickly in a position where they didn't know if they should keep attacking (risking letting in more), or sit in and go into a period of damage limitation, because KDB and Silva were being overrun. it was a sight to behold. they looked old and slow - the two of them. one of the best moments of the half was when Silva was about 25 yards out. he was taking his time picking a pass (because I'd say he's so used to teams just sitting on the edge of their box waiting for him to pull the trigger), and Milner comes in from behind, takes the ball aggressively and cleanly, and you can see Silva throw his arms up in frustration.

glorious. absolutely fúcking glorious.

Salah is a machine. makes goalscoring look so frighteningly easy. the ball is a magnet to him in the box. he has this weird inate ability to arrive where the ball is going to drop. City should be ashamed of that first goal though. Otamendi selling himself in the box. Walker dithering. Awful. They looked like mugs. and it was glorious. absolutely fúcking glorious.

the second goal was pure Kloppball. harass the fúck out of them. be aggressive. be there for the second ball. Ox with a dream of a first touch, and a shot borrowed from Stevie G's top drawer.

the third came as we continued with the momentum, but Laporte's defending was utterly laughable. it's like the back 4 are not actually coached to defend. they're coached to press, anticipate and pass. but when the back 4 is actually being attacked, it's amateurish. Salah was shown onto his best foot, TWICE. and when he crossed the second time, i'm pretty sure 2 or 3 of our players could've scored. hilarious, and utterly glorious.

then, in the second half, for all City's possession, and for all the nerves I felt, Karius didn't have one proper save to make. that is astonishing given the (more than justified) narrative before the game. Lovren didn't make a mistake, which tbh, floors me. it was one of those games where he looks like a proper defender. i don't want to assume it's because of VVD, because assuming that is automatically insulting, but I'm sure it helps. VVD is a fúcking beast. i'm all of a sudden not scared of corners. it's lovely, actually. a really nice change from shing myself at least half a dozen times a game.

Robertson - Roberto Carlos has nothing on him.
    TAA - get the fúck out, San
    Milner - Silva's shadow.
    Henderson - a wall in the centre. no nonsense. showed his value - something I often underestimate.
    Ox - force of nature. buzzing. looks at home. knows his job, and is loving it. he's playing as much with us as he did Arsenal, but you can see he trusts Klopp and the club. honestly, i thought it at the time because of my faith in Klopp, but the fee will turn out to be a bargain IMO.
    Firmino - superb as ever defensively, leading the press. got tired, and i hope it's all not catching up on him. not great offensively, but still made his mark for the first goal.
    Man his touch in the first half was Salah-esque. the man never stopped.
    Salah - machine. there's nothing more you can say.
    Solanke - what a call by Klopp to put him on for Firmino with 20 minutes to go. made an impact. turned City and gave them something to think about. cute management.

the tie is obviously only half over, but if you can't revel in what you watched last night, then you need to stop watching football, and you need to stop supporting Liverpool. last night is why you're a supporter. it was engulfing. the atmosphere was tangible through the TV. the performance matched what the fans gave. absolutely brilliant.

we are a force to be fúcking reckoned with. City have 3 goals in them at home. that's obvious. we must nick a goal at their place, or else I can see it getting very tricky. but let's be honest, one foot should be in that semi final. Klopp gave off the right vibes in playing it down, and refocusing everyone on Everton, even having a moan at the time we're playing at. Love it! but if we're aspiring to be a big club and the big table of the Champions League for the forseeable future, then this is a lead that you cannot let go of. it would be criminal; absolutely criminal, to let this go.

Pep played into our hands in the end, but fúck him. he tried a tactical switch away from the way the team have been playing all season, and got beaten. i saw Gundogan still peddling the line that they were 'unlucky' in the first half with the way the goals went in, and how quickly. Pep had the same excuse in the 4-3 - that they were controlling the game, and it was only these 'minutes of madness' that cost them. let them believe that. let them believe that they've been largely in control of both games.

now, bring on Everton on Saturday. beat that lot with our B team, then finish the job on City next week.

glorious.

The BBC have up a video from inside the city bus

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43651014

Make of it as you wish

Liverpool's Champions League form this season is amazing.

Unbeaten with 8 wins and 4 draws scoring 36 goals considering 10 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Make of it as you wish

as i say, not nice. it shouldn't have happened. and we've apologised. rightly. there's nothing more that can be done, bar what we've done.

most of the players have actively played games in worse atmospheres that that bus ride, and that's not to denounce the bus ride as nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

He really has been money well spent so far. Sometimes you got to spend big to get the quality into a team.

SlickRic wrote: »

so the bus thing needs to be forgotten about. Liverpool have rightly apologised. That's it..............

"...but two police officers were hurt........."

Is there any risk of UEFA giving the club a spanking?

City fans can give Liverpool the same kind of welcome next week.

Buses also have curtains they could have pulled them if they didn't want to look out at the fans.

I was surprised to hear on the radio this morning that City haven't been able to sell out their own tickets for the game.

City fans really don't like the Champions League at all do they.

Augeo wrote: »
    "...but two police officers were hurt........."

Is there any risk of UEFA giving the club a spanking?

Liverpool could well be within their right to go on other instances where UEFA have done nothing and said they can't do anything as it was outside the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

I don't think it's that. They can't sell out PL games either. They're just a small club really with a small fan base that were lucky enough to win the lottery of oil money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

City fans can give Liverpool the same kind of welcome next week.

Buses also have curtains they could have pulled them if they didn't want to look out at the fans.

I was surprised to hear on the radio this morning that City haven't been able to sell out their own tickets for the game.

Ya normally don't like something you can't win..

Harambe wrote: »
    I don't think it's that. They can't sell out PL games either. They're just a small club really with a small fan base that were lucky enough to win the lottery of oil money.

There is more to it than that they also Boo the Champions League anthem so it is something to do with the Champions League itself I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

99.9% of people in that video were doing the right thing. The few people who threw bottles were the problem. Dunno how club can be responsible for people who probably had no tickets, were not on club property or in stadium. Basically civilians on the streets. Would think that is a police problem not Liverpool's problem to police the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Outside the ground. That a policing matter.

Big deal anyway, few cans and eggs thrown at a bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Make of it as you wish

....and the alternative experience on the home team coach

https://twitter.com/JamesMilner/status/981647548849979392

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

rob316 wrote: »
    Outside the ground. That a policing matter.

Big deal anyway, few cans and eggs thrown at a bus.

Such a load of Boll1x, a few scrotes dirtied the bus and cracked a window, no danger to anyone really, ruffled a few feathers is all. Hardly headline news TBH, a police matter as was mentioned.

Not nice, but sh1t happens, especially with narrow streets etc. Talking it up by the police and media beforehand didn't help either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

not yet wrote: »
    Ya normally don't like something you can't win..
    The hubris from this poster 'not yet' is something to behold.

The tie is 'not yet' over and even if Liverpool get through there's at least 3 other teams that are better than Liverpool left in the competition. So Liverpool won't be winning the CL this season either.

• Advertisement

Also Pep comparing a dozen bottles being thrown at the bus to the roadside bomb going off at the Dortmund bus last season was totally reckless on his behalf.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement