Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

TheCitizen wrote: »
    The hubris from this poster 'not yet' is something to behold.

The tie is 'not yet' over and even if Liverpool get through there's at least 3 other teams that are better than Liverpool left in the competition. So Liverpool won't be winning the CL this season either.

Lemons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Just for the commentary

Brilliant, sounds like Julio Geordio's arab cousin!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

https://twitter.com/77thomo/status/981644266907820032?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

So it was Everton fans that threw stuff at the bus. Always someone else's fault with that lot.

mosstin wrote: »
    Lemons
    "get over it ffs" as 'not yet' there would say:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

SlickRic wrote: »
    just to wax lyrical about that performance last night, because, y'know, I'm a little bored...

firstly, the bus thing. not ideal. the few hooligans didn't do anyone else any favours. but Pep can fúck off with any hint of this damaging our 'prestige'. while it wasn't great, and I'd have preferred it not to happen, man up. you're in a bus, that is probably reinforced. nothing happened to the players, nor was ever going to happen. they were completely protected, and as Gundogan said afterwards, it's categorically had no impact on the match, and in fact, it would've spurred the City players on, if anything. Those players will have seen and experienced far worse than that. They're not snowflakes.

so the bus thing needs to be forgotten about. Liverpool have rightly apologised. That's it.

The game was incredible to watch. I thought we started poorly enough. Salah lost the ball every time he got it in the first 10 minutes. We couldn't get a grip of the ball, or the game in general, and it seemed as though Pep's tactical play of packing midfield with the addition of Gundogan, seemed to be working. a lot of the possession, however, was slow, ponderous and predictable. They were trying to hammer our left side, assuming that Sané would destroy TAA. however, with Mané and Henderson being disciplined in their defending, and TAA having a coming-of-age performance, Sané and Pep were metaphorically told to fúck off with that plan. and they had no plan B.

or at least it was too late before they could implement a plan B, because we gloriously blitzed them in half an hour, and could've had more. City were quickly in a position where they didn't know if they should keep attacking (risking letting in more), or sit in and go into a period of damage limitation, because KDB and Silva were being overrun. it was a sight to behold. they looked old and slow - the two of them. one of the best moments of the half was when Silva was about 25 yards out. he was taking his time picking a pass (because I'd say he's so used to teams just sitting on the edge of their box waiting for him to pull the trigger), and Milner comes in from behind, takes the ball aggressively and cleanly, and you can see Silva throw his arms up in frustration.

glorious. absolutely fúcking glorious.

Salah is a machine. makes goalscoring look so frighteningly easy. the ball is a magnet to him in the box. he has this weird inate ability to arrive where the ball is going to drop. City should be ashamed of that first goal though. Otamendi selling himself in the box. Walker dithering. Awful. They looked like mugs. and it was glorious. absolutely fúcking glorious.

the second goal was pure Kloppball. harass the fúck out of them. be aggressive. be there for the second ball. Ox with a dream of a first touch, and a shot borrowed from Stevie G's top drawer.

the third came as we continued with the momentum, but Laporte's defending was utterly laughable. it's like the back 4 are not actually coached to defend. they're coached to press, anticipate and pass. but when the back 4 is actually being attacked, it's amateurish. Salah was shown onto his best foot, TWICE. and when he crossed the second time, i'm pretty sure 2 or 3 of our players could've scored. hilarious, and utterly glorious.

then, in the second half, for all City's possession, and for all the nerves I felt, Karius didn't have one proper save to make. that is astonishing given the (more than justified) narrative before the game. Lovren didn't make a mistake, which tbh, floors me. it was one of those games where he looks like a proper defender. i don't want to assume it's because of VVD, because assuming that is automatically insulting, but I'm sure it helps. VVD is a fúcking beast. i'm all of a sudden not scared of corners. it's lovely, actually. a really nice change from shítting myself at least half a dozen times a game.

Robertson - Roberto Carlos has nothing on him.
    TAA - get the fúck out, Sané.
    Milner - Silva's shadow.
    Henderson - a wall in the centre. no nonsense. showed his value - something I often underestimate.
    Ox - force of nature. buzzing. looks at home. knows his job, and is loving it. he's playing as much with us as he did Arsenal, but you can see he trusts Klopp and the club. honestly, i thought it at the time because of my faith in Klopp, but the fee will turn out to be a bargain IMO.
    Firmino - superb as ever defensively, leading the press. got tired, and i hope it's all not catching up on him. not great offensively, but still made his mark for the first goal.
    Mané - his touch in the first half was Salah-esque. the man never stopped.
    Salah - machine. there's nothing more you can say.
    Solanke - what a call by Klopp to put him on for Firmino with 20 minutes to go. made an impact. turned City and gave them something to think about. cute management.

the tie is obviously only half over, but if you can't revel in what you watched last night, then you need to stop watching football, and you need to stop supporting Liverpool. last night is why you're a supporter. it was engulfing. the atmosphere was tangible through the TV. the performance matched what the fans gave. absolutely brilliant.

we are a force to be fúcking reckoned with. City have 3 goals in them at home. that's obvious. we must nick a goal at their place, or else I can see it getting very tricky. but let's be honest, one foot should be in that semi final. Klopp gave off the right vibes in playing it down, and refocusing everyone on Everton, even having a moan at the time we're playing at. Love it! but if we're aspiring to be a big club and be at the big table of the Champions League for the foreseeable future, then this is a lead that you cannot let go of. it would be criminal; absolutely criminal, to let this go.

Pep played into our hands in the end, but fúck him. he tried a tactical switch away from the way the team have been playing all season, and got beaten. i saw Gundogan still peddling the line that they were 'unlucky' in the first half with the way the goals went in, and how quickly. Pep had the same excuse in the 4-3 - that they were controlling the game, and it was only these 'minutes of madness' that cost them. let them believe that. let them believe that they've been largely in control of both games.

now, bring on Everton on Saturday. beat that lot with our B team, then finish the job on City next week.

glorious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

https://twitter.com/77thomo/status/981644266907820032?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

So it was Everton fans that threw stuff at the bus. Always someone else's fault with that lot.

https://twitter.com/77thomo/status/981795981921521664

Two ****e tweets, tbh, to go with a ****e post.

corwill wrote: »

How is it a ****e post to put up a tweet on that incident by a former Liverpool player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

How is it a ****e post to put up a tweet on that incident by a former Liverpool player?

Because it was fairly obviously tongue in cheek

There is more to it than that they also Boo the Champions League anthem so it is something to do with the Champions League itself I think.

To be fair, they've been on the end of some awful nonsense from UEFA in recent years, eg https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/apr/11/manchester-city-fined-porto-racism

If I remember correctly, Porto also complained to UEFA over Hulk being booed as comparable to their own racist chanting, and did UEFA indulge them in that to some degree, can't remember tbh.

Trust me, your posts on here have been ****e, just telling you as a friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Shhh don't let facts that it was a wind up get in the way of a good story for other fans who want to play the "its never their fault card"

Inappropriate.

Take your hiding and stop whinging.

xabi wrote: »
    Oh right, he's being a cheeky chappy about it, that's ok then, move on nothing to see here.

Not sure it was obvious to 'corwill' there and he's a pool fan I take it.

Oh right, he's being a cheeky chappy about it, that's ok then, move on nothing to see here.

Not sure it was obvious to 'corwill' there and he's a pool fan I take it.

Exactly, move on from the tweet and go and find something even more sensational to have a dig.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

xabi wrote: »

I'm annoyed that some people couldn't control themselves and let them and the image of the club down in an unacceptable manner, but I'm loving how much it had annoyed others, especially certain fans who barely need any excuse to denigrate the Liverpool fan base as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i laughed.

DaBN8bkWAAAES2S.jpg:large

Trust me, your posts on here have been ****e, just telling you as a friend.
    :pac: Awful precious lot on here.

Henderson was giving Bobby plenty of guff during the celebration for the third goal.

Not sure what he was giving him a hard time for but it’s lovely to see our captain giving a player a hard time just after going 3-0 up. I like that level of focus.

Inappropriate.

Take your hiding and stop whinging.

I'm not even a City fan mate. I like that Paul McCartney comment SlickRick put up. Yes they're 3 up but it's still only half time in the tie

You're the one spewing over what David Thompson is saying on twitter. Just sayin', as a friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Ah jesus i'd say he was creaming himself when he seen the tweet , and didn't take the time to look at the fishing emojis posted right under it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mod: Enough.

I'm not even a City fan mate. I like that Paul McCartney comment SlickRick put up. Yes they're 3 up but it's still only half time in the tie

Eh. I’m not your mate and maybe you should have a cup of tea and relax.

You’re not coming across as someone with much class. More crass.

Ah, leave thecitizen alone, he's hurting today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Really, "TheCitizen"

Really.......?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Nights like last night makes you wonder why Can wants to leave.

I have a feeling he is joining City as well not Juve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Vicxas wrote: »
    Really, "TheCitizen"

Really.......?

Might not be a City fan, but clearly has an issue with Liverpool FC.

Really, "TheCitizen"

Really.......?

Yeah really.

Might not be a City fan, but clearly has an issue with Liverpool FC.

Not really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Not really
    You do, it's there in your posts.
    Ignore time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Just got the same earful from a Utd fan about our shaky defense and how we will easily let in 5 next week again and that we were lucky last night....

Here's a tip if you have to listen to this sh!te and want to shut them up - simply ask why is it that a team that has already scored 88 goals in the league this season, has a striker that will most likely keep Firminho from starting for Brazil this summer and could likely finish on 100pts in the league - not have a SINGLE SHOT ON GOAL the entire match!!!

Worked for me.....

Still can't believe that stat, all credit too to TAA and you can bet Klopp was in his ear all week telling him how much he believed in him. Love this club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If the second legs pan out as expected, the teams contesting the semi-finals will have won nearly half (44%) of the European Cups/Champions Leagues between them since the competition was established.

European royalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We all know we'll concede goals at City, but all we really need to do is score one, even at 3-0 down. We're the only team now with the away goal advantage. One goal and it's over, even at 4-0 down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Can't help looking ahead but who would we want in the Semi's?

Hoping for Barca myself, we owe them a beating for their **** bag tapping up of our players and there back 4 give up a lot of chances from what I've seen. Roma could of had a couple last night if only they had a couple lads who could finish.

2nd leg at home against any of them would be nice too.

I gotta tell you hearing Liverpool, Bayern, Real and Barca mentioned together again sounds damn good. European Royalty.

rob316 wrote: »

Hoping for Barca myself, we owe them a beating for their **** bag tapping up of our players and there back 4 give up a lot of chances from what I've seen. Roma could of had a couple last night if only they had a couple lads who could finish.

I gotta tell you hearing Liverpool, Bayern, Real and Barca mentioned together again sounds damn good. European Royalty.

Oh god don't jinx it.

But if, IF we get passed City I wouldn't mind a crack at Barca.

• Advertisement

For any City fan to have a go at what happened just cast their minds back to Wigan

Then the City fans in the stand began throwing objects over the perimeter fence and by the time order was restored on the pitch they were ripping up advertising hoardings and flinging them towards stewards and police

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/19/wigan-shock-win-manchester-city-angry-scenes-dw-stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Said it when the City draw came out and will say it again now - have no problem with a home game for the first match, stop them from scoring and win and then use the away goals to our advantage in the second leg. Whoever we play against will not have played us this season so they'll be working off what their analysts come up with and nothing else, they won't be prepared for the Anfield atmosphere and we can confidently travel anywhere to finish the job.

Otherwise, no matter who we get, it's gonna be beyond difficult, but the way the team is now, mentally, no one is gonna look forward to playing this team...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

There is more to it than that they also Boo the Champions League anthem so it is something to do with the Champions League itself I think.

It's Manchester's contribution to Brexit, bleedin foreigners coming over to play against our foreigners!

Ahh well UEFA charging Liverpool over the incident before the game i guess enough crying from fans before hand and media after it calling for action is enough to bend UEFA's arm when they have ignored fans and police men being killed in other countries before games.

Disciplinary proceedings have been opened following the UEFA Champions League quarter-final first leg match between Liverpool FC and Manchester City FC (3-0) played on 4 April in England.

Charges against Liverpool FC:

- Setting off of fireworks - Article 16 (2) of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations (DR)
    - Throwing of objects - Art. 16 (2) DR
    - Acts of damage - Art. 16 (2) DR
    - Crowd disturbances - Art. 16 (2) DR

The charges of acts of damage and crowd disturbances relate to incidents involving the Manchester City FC team bus.

This case will be dealt with by the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body on 31 May.

So waiting until the end of the season to deal with it

Wonder what the prognosis on Salah is.

• Advertisement

Wonder what the prognosis on Salah is.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/296540-mohamed-salah-injury-update-liverpool-fc

Liverpool must assess Mohamed Salah's injury in the coming days after the forward was substituted early in the second half against Manchester City.

The Egyptian scored the opening goal of the Champions League quarter-final first leg at Anfield and created the third for Sadio Mane as the Reds claimed a 3-0 cushion in the tie.

But one downside of the evening was the sight of Salah limping off seven minutes after the interval.

"I don't know in the moment," said Jürgen Klopp when asked for an update on the No.11 in his post-match press conference.

"He came to the sideline and said he feels sometimes something; for me, that was enough for me to not even ask the Doc how he was, we immediately took him off the pitch.

"After the game I asked him and he said, 'I will be good, it will be fine'. But now we have to wait for the real diagnosis, not Mo's self-diagnosis.

"We will see, I don't know at the moment."

The manager also lamented the late yellow card which means Jordan Henderson is ruled out of the second leg next Tuesday.

"Obviously since I'm here, [there is] nothing good without a little bit bad. Hendo is suspended - not too cool," said Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

not yet wrote: »
    I was at the 2005 semi against Chelskie so can only imagine what the atmosphere was like last night with an extra 10,000 inside the ground..

The only thing that makes me happier in this world then watching Liverpool on big nights in Europe is watching my daughter grow into an adult...

I was at the 3-2 game v man city in the year we almost won the league. Atmosphere was insane, I too can only imagine last night with the extra crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

We may have won the first leg, but they've won the tweet war it seems, all tied up at 1-1 going into next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Ahh well UEFA charging Liverpool over the incident before the game i guess enough crying from fans before hand and media after it calling for action is enough to bend UEFA's arm when they have ignored fans and police men being killed in other countries before games.

Disciplinary proceedings have been opened following the UEFA Champions League quarter-final first leg match between Liverpool FC and Manchester City FC (3-0) played on 4 April in England.

Charges against Liverpool FC:

- Setting off of fireworks - Article 16 (2) of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations (DR)
    - Throwing of objects - Art. 16 (2) DR
    - Acts of damage - Art. 16 (2) DR
    - Crowd disturbances - Art. 16 (2) DR

The charges of acts of damage and crowd disturbances relate to incidents involving the Manchester City FC team bus.

This case will be dealt with by the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body on 31 May.

So waiting until the end of the season to deal with it

The setting of of fireworks, assuming it refers to the ones at the start of the game sounds silly.

They were outside the stadium weren't they?

That has **** all to do with UEFA. I mean **** it, they're legal in the UK.

The rest is fair enough.

It's a bit mad that the coach has to go through a throng of people. The roads should be kept clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Look like we will be down to the bare bones for the second leg,
    Gutted for Mo if he misses it, I really think without him City can press us and not really worry about us on the break he is so so important, Will we finally pay for not replacing Cou in January ?
    we will have literally no options of the bench, and even worse if Can doesn't make it .,
    Away leg is looking like,
    Trent, VVD Lovren Moerno

Milner Can ( if fit ) Wni
    Ox      BOBBY     Mane

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wardling

Not to get too cocky after the first leg but if im hand picking a semi final I would prefer Bayern.

Let the Spanish team kick lumps out of each other and if klopp can navigate us through a Bayern semi I would prefer the Spanish teams in a one off winner takes all game.

I'd fancy Liverpool's coaches to be more up to date with Munich's playing style and have some good friends still in Germany with some insight on how to approach it. Over two legs it seems to me to be the most favourable draw.

With the Spanish teams I really feel that over two legs they would be difficult but a one off game we could do it. Smash them with some gegenpressing madness to take a lead by 2 or 3 and sit back and watch lovdijk mop up their attacks.

Oh and Karius winning the golden glove..imagine the melt down if that happens!!

First thing first though and let's bang 2 in in the etihad and see the fans stream out before half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think we should start a 'Thoughts and Prayers' thread for the Man City bus, which will allow us all to pay our respects accordingly.

Impossible to enjoy the victory knowing that a bus has been rendered completely useless due to the glass door being almost, but not quite, smashed in.

The bus was last seen driving away from Anfield in the direction of Manchester, where it is believed to have gone offroad to find a quiet place to pass from this cruel world.

Paul Allen has begun an expedition to find this brave vessel, after his recent success in finding WWII Aircraft Carrier, The USS Lexington. I wish him well.

As I assume that all here are completely unable to enjoy the souless victory of last night, considering the four reprehenisble projectiles that were launched at aforementioned bus, I ask now that we all hold keyboards in an act of solidarity and compassion, and partake in a minute of posting silence.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Look like we will be down to the bare bones for the second leg,
    Gutted for Mo if he misses it, I really think without him City can press us and not really worry about us on the break he is so so important, Will we finally pay for not replacing Cou in January ?
    we will have literally no options of the bench, and even worse if Can doesn't make it .,
    Away leg is looking like,
    Trent, VVD Lovren Moerno

Milner Can ( if fit ) Wni
    Ox      BOBBY     Mane

Did I miss something about Robertson being injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Not really, caught a few crosses well.

But importantly his positioning was always good, he covered his near post correctly when Sane was cutting in (a mistake he's made before), distributed fine, slowed the game down a few times and generally exuded calmness.
    There's a goalkeeper in there.

He wasn't great for the offside goal, but would have to give him the benefit of the doubt that he saw the flag.

Karius knew that was offside in fairness as did VVD who didn’t bother attacking the ball which wouldn’t have made it over to the City player anyway and coupled with the fact than Sane was marginally offside, I don’t agree City were robbed of an away goal which i’ve seen suggested.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Karius knew that was offside in fairness as did VVD who didn’t bother attacking the ball which wouldn’t have made it over to the City player anyway and coupled with the fact than Sane was marginally offside, I don’t agree City were robbed of an away goal which i’ve seen suggested.

Well to be fair they should have had a pen, but then the pens given against and ones denied to Liverpool this season it was about time Liverpool got a bit of luck in those calls

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement