Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

With can looking like hes off in the summer i will be interested to see who we bring in at centre mid to replace him with. By the sounds of it we were well in for Goretzka until he went for bayern munich which is more than understadable.

I have heard great things about Savic who plays for lazio and have seen we have been linked to him. I myself have always rated steve nzonzi and think he would be a great option to have in the side. Would bring some muscle and steel into our midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

ricero wrote: »
    With can looking like hes off in the summer i will be interested to see who we bring in at centre mid to replace him with. By the sounds of it we were well in for Goretzka until he went for bayern munich which is more than understadable.

I have heard great things about Savic who plays for lazio and have seen we have been linked to him. I myself have always rated steve nzonzi and think he would be a great option to have in the side. Would bring some muscle and steel into our midfield.

Nzonzi would be a quality addition, and he seems like he's mobile enough, and has the stamina, to play Klopp's way. He's just turned 29, FSG seemed focussed on age and resale value, so that might militate against him being targetted. I'd be delighted to see him signed, though, he shone in a crap Blackburn side and and a less than sexy Stoke set-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

corwill wrote: »
    There's always plenty to discuss and criticise about the club, on and off the pitch. But with Didi, most of what I've read or heard from him since Klopp arrivied (or I should say, since a few months after he arrived and apparently didn't give Didi the coaching role he'd been angling for, if rumours are to be believed) has been non-specific, pub-bore level stuff, and delivered with a fair dose of vitriol.

Look at his latest, for instance: https://www.balls.ie/football/didi-hamann-challenges-jurgen-klopp-talk-talk-382535

I mean, that's just facile, content-free spluttering. I'd tune out of a lad going on with in the boozer, maybe go for a slash. He was looking at the results in 'the last few days', what about the several months prior? Didi has an axe to grind, and took it out for a grindin' once a lengthy unbeaten run came to an end.

He's described as bitter, because that's exactly how he comments on the club. If he ever has any actual insight or thoughtful, constructive criticism to offer, I'll be all ears, but I won't be holding my breath. It's pretty disappointing, I've been a massive fan of Der Kaiser ever since he came to England.

Meh, if it's not Didi then it's Whelan, if not him then it's someone else who's apparently bitter about some perceived slight or other.
    I think that there's been plenty to criticise within the club in the past few months. Granted, Hamann is ubiquitous these days and he's going to be asked for his opinion about Liverpool, but there's an omerta it seems surrounding the club that any negativity is to be exorcised and that a past player with faults to find about the club has 'an axe to grind'.
    It's all just noise really and people are being precious about it pointing it out whenever it does occur. Love Didi, he's almost certainly fallen on hard times and will never be shy of an opinion. I find it as healthy to listen to criticisms of the club at times as I do the almost never-ending PR of someone like Aldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

_______Mignolet____

__Matip__VVD__Robertson

________Can__________

Lallana_________Henderson

________Firmino________

Salah_______________Mane

_________Igns___________

I'd go with 3 going forward. Get a striker in team and Firmino running the show from midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

IMHO it's a myth that Moreno is good going forward.
    He's all hustle, is quick, but think back over the last few years, all the good positions he has found himself in, and how many times he has over hit his cross, almost killed the opposition full back by hitting him with the ball, or blasted the ball into the stand. He's a clown.
    I’d agree on Moreno. Has decent technique and very quick; but never really uses it that well. I think he’s better than Robertson going forward, but as he’s not outstanding at that, I don’t really see what he offers the squad (given his defensive frailties).

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    Meh, if it's not Didi then it's Whelan, if not him then it's someone else who's apparently bitter about some perceived slight or other.
    I think that there's been plenty to criticise within the club in the past few months. Granted, Hamann is ubiquitous these days and he's going to be asked for his opinion about Liverpool, but there's an omerta it seems surrounding the club that any negativity is to be exorcised and that a past player with faults to find about the club has 'an axe to grind'.
    It's all just noise really and people are being precious about it pointing it out whenever it does occur. Love Didi, he's almost certainly fallen on hard times and will never be shy of an opinion. I find it as healthy to listen to criticisms of the club at times as I do the almost never-ending PR of someone like Aldo.

I find Aldo much harder to listen to than Didi, in fairness. As I took great pains to point out, I have no problem with criticism worth the name, i.e. involving some actual critical thinking and analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Can off, milner another year older (and assumably in the last year of his contract) and wijnaldum still not an ideal first 11 player id be expecting atleast another midfield on top off keita in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

I see bitter didi was was back being bitter again talking about Klopp and the club this week.

If Didi (who given his career is certainly qualified to comment) is deemed "bitter" for the comments he makes then (for me anyway) he's the bitter lime in a deadly Caipirinha relative to the Denatonium Benzoate level of bitterness you usually display when talking about the club :P

Wouldn't Denatonium Benzoate make a great username???

City draw. never saw that coming. They have Leicester next week and then won't play another league game until March. That's when their nightmare fixtures start.
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Stoke
    Everton
    United
    Spurs
    West Ham

We need to win 10 now and hope they lose 5 of those games. Can take it down to the last few games then. Leicester in great form of late too. They could shock them next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leicester in great form of late too. They could shock them next week.

Expect Mahrez to score a hat trick of own goals and give away about twenty penalties in that game out of spite.

That is of course if he actually returns is he still missing in action and on strike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

If Didi (who given his career is certainly qualified to comment) is deemed "bitter" for the comments he makes then (for me anyway) he's the bitter lime in a deadly Caipirinha relative to the Denatonium Benzoate level of bitterness you usually display when talking about the club :P

Wouldn't Denatonium Benzoate make a great username???

Always get 100% behind the manager and the team. Dont appreciate FSG who i feel are unambitious and whos strategy is flawed.

Didi seems very bitter and over the top with crtiticism ever since it was revealed Klopp turned him down for a coaching role at the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Marco Grujic is on a one man demolition job of Leeds, somehow he hasn't picked up a card. Should be off by the letter of the law.

Harry Wilson on for Hull

Derek Originals scored for Wolfsburg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Marco Grujic is on a one man demolition job of Leeds, somehow he hasn't picked up a card. Should be off by the letter of the law.

Harry Wilson on for Hull

Derek Originals scored for Wolfsburg.

Grujic is too dumb for words. His stupidity outweighs his talent. I’d say Warnock loves him already.

Sturridge embarrassing today by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Pep complaining he doesnt have enough players :confused:

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/959836550015184896

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

As a matter of interest, what's the story with Bobby and the BS with Holgate /the FA. Why hasn't he been cleared yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

As a matter of interest, what's the story with Bobby and the BS with Holgate /the FA. Why hasn't he been cleared yet?

The FA are looking for a reason to charge Firmino when there isn’t one. Fabrication takes time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

prob waiting closer to the united game i'd say :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

Pep complaining he doesnt have enough players :confused:

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/959836550015184896

no excuses :

City have spent £418m on their squad since Guardiola arrived in 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Pep can do and say what he likes imo. It's well worth it when you see the almighty chip he has put on Utd fans shoulders.

• Advertisement

I'm on Baby Keith watch, he is everywhere. He seems to be the traffic control as well as general midfield factotum. Points more than Henderson! :D

Our home record last 4 seasons is costing us our title challenge. We just don't win often enough, again this season only 7 wins at Anfield . We typically win as many home games as the midtable teams do, and it's happening year in year out.

I'm on Baby Keith watch, he is everywhere. He seems to be the traffic control as well as general midfield factotum. Points more than Henderson! :D

I see Origi scored today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Everton are in a bad way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Grayditch wrote: »

The Big Sam effect

Vicxas wrote: »
    The Big Sam effect

Hopefully Wenger will do the decent thing, bring him into his office for a chat and a pint of wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

corwill wrote: »
    Hopefully Wenger will do the decent thing, bring him into his office for a chat and a pint of wine.

I've heard he prefers pints of gravy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They'd a very tough month of fixtures to be fair. 4 games against teams unequivocally much much better than them (Utd, us, Spurs and Arsenal), and 2 games that were still tough enough in Leicester and West Brom from which they got 4 points, so i'd say they're happy enough all in all. Walcott has started well, and their next 5 are much easier fixtures, after which i think they'll look quite safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Remember the days when a Mod would close off the old thread whilst posting a link to the new thread. Ahh good times.

I was wondering why there was feck all activity;)

Anyways.......

First.

• Advertisement

Interesting to see the instant improvement in Mkhitaryan as soon as he's in a team with a plan of attack. 3 assists today.

Really would have loved him, would've been a great attacking midfield option to replace Couts. Alas obviously could never have happened.

Wonder will the "can't transfer between Utd and Liverpool" thing ever go away. Could see it fading a bit as the time since Fergie was in charge grows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Two man of the match performances from Sanchez in his two starts for United. He's not doing bad for a guy that's past his best and wouldn't improve Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Interesting to see the instant improvement in Mkhitaryan as soon as he's in a team with a plan of attack. 3 assists today.

Really would have loved him, would've been a great attacking midfield option to replace Couts. Alas obviously could never have happened.

Wonder will the "can't transfer between Utd and Liverpool" thing ever go away. Could see it fading a bit as the time since Fergie was in charge grows.

It will never change, sure one of our players would get into their first 11 ever until the end of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

magma69 wrote: »
    Two man of the match performances from Sanchez in his two starts for United. He's not doing bad for a guy that's past his best and wouldn't improve Liverpool.

Latching onto what one or two lads say, as apposed to the majority? Surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

fyfe79 wrote: »

Latching onto what one or two lads say, as apposed to the majority? Surprising.
    It was aimed at them and not the majority.

Fair enough. Might have been worth quoting them because most people here as I recall said would take Sanchez at Liverpool.

• Advertisement

Of course he'd improve us, that was never in question from the vast vast majority of reasonable human beings - fans or no.

The question was only ever if he was the best option at the wages he would cost. Which are pretty bloody nuts to be fair. Between 4 and 5 hundred grand a week like.

Wages aside, I think we could done with him more than Utd tbh... he's added to their flat-track bully performances, but was anonymous in their one big game - which is what he was brought in to try to improve for them.

Forget Grumpy Sanchez, Liverpool need to turn their attention to Ruben Neves. Him and Keita plus one of Lallana/Wiji/OxCham would be a very nicely balanced midfield.

Man of the match vs Spurs?

Pipe down. They didn't have any men in the match vs Spurs.

mosstin wrote: »
    Man of the match vs Spurs?

Pipe down. They didn't have any men in the match vs Spurs.

I actually forgot about the Spurs game! I honestly thought the two MOTM awards was to do with Huddersfield and Yeovil.

Forget Grumpy Sanchez, Liverpool need to turn their attention to Ruben Neves. Him and Keita plus one of Lallana/Wiji/OxCham would be a very nicely balanced midfield.

Neves would be great at 6 alright. Looks excellent. Any move to get him could be very complicated though, seeing as he's one of Jorge Mendes guys.

• Advertisement

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I actually forgot about the Spurs game! I honestly thought the two MOTM awards was to do with Huddersfield and Yeovil.

I presume it was those two games.... he was genuinely awful against Spurs, surely couldn't have gotten any sort of an award for that performance. Actually thought he was poor enough against Yeovil to be honest, blazing miss-hit passes all over the shop. Got into some good positions and looked lively but wasted sooo much possession.

<edit>
    The other was against Yeovil alright - they posted this after in response to the decision;
    27458911_1740566749296685_1269221121588173432_n.jpg?oh=23ba518427877a924be8faa39a87bb38&oe=5B15C520

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Sold Sanchez for Mkhitaryan in Fantasy Football so I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Remember the days when a Mod would close off the old thread whilst posting a link to the new thread. Ahh good times.

I was wondering why there was feck all activity;)

Anyways.......

First.

And, bizarrely, they always seem to link to the old thread in the new one... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I hate the trend in the last few years of the bigger picture being lost and the most immediate game, or couple of games, being ‘season defining’ etc. But what the hell, it’s 4:30am, I’m tired and I’m worried about the game later.

When it comes down to it, it’s only 3 points, but I’d be fearful that Spurs might do us, and that might drive them on. It’s just one of those games when I’d love us to really show up and make a statement, but I’m not sure if we’re there yet or not to do that. While not ideal, I think a draw would be ok, we’d still be ahead of them and it wouldn’t be a momentum shift or anything like that.

Anyhow, fingers crossed we play to our best, if we do that we can win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

jasonb wrote: »
    I hate the trend in the last few years of the bigger picture being lost and the most immediate game, or couple of games, being ‘season defining’ etc. But what the hell, it’s 4:30am, I’m tired and I’m worried about the game later.

When it comes down to it, it’s only 3 points, but I’d be fearful that Spurs might do us, and that might drive them on. It’s just one of those games when I’d love us to really show up and make a statement, but I’m not sure if we’re there yet or not to do that. While not ideal, I think a draw would be ok, we’d still be ahead of them and it wouldn’t be a momentum shift or anything like that.

Anyhow, fingers crossed we play to our best, if we do that we can win it.

We mullerd a better team in city at home only a couple of weeks ago,Spurs should be fearing us truth be told,we owe them a hiding.

I'd take a undeserved 1 nil right now mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

We got revenge on city and I think we'll do the same to spurs tbh,that's if Moreno doesn't play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Sold Sanchez for Mkhitaryan in Fantasy Football so I did.

Nice, and no doubt there is some flukey fecker out there with Ramsey triple captained.

klose wrote: »
    Nice, and no doubt there is some flukey fecker out there with Ramsey triple captained.

FF is the bane of my existence this year. Every single thing I try turns to ****e.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    We got revenge on city and I think we'll do the same to spurs tbh,that's if Moreno doesn't play

I'll be flabbergasted if he starts. Asking for trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

why is everyone talking about man utd players?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement