Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I thought we where awesome,
    Robbo looks like a proper left back, by the quarter finals we may have Clyne back and have a proper solid back line,
    People give Gini a lot of stick but I think he has transformed as a player under Klopp
    At previous clubs he was an attacking midfielder even winning player of the year in Holland in that position but its seems Jurgen has decided its best to use his energy as a breaker of play,
    The amount of time he gets the foot in a breaks up an attack really goes unnoticed, His fitness level last night was unreal he just kept going, I think to back this up you'll notice all his best games are against top opposition or away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

It's such a huge win in terms of now we can rest a few before the United game,
    We don't have to go into the game at old Trafford with our big players running on empty ,
    We could easy play
    Migs , Trent, Klavan, Matip, Moreno , Milner, Ox , Lallana, Ings ,Solanka ,Woodburn  
    Then
    Karius, Gomez, Lovern, VVD,Robbo, Can ,Henderson ,Gini, Mane, Booby ,Salah , at old Trafford,

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Has he not just posted to say he was heading off for a ride?

That's a sublime post by your man. Top notch.

Shame you cant do more of it on boards - but i've learned to keep it boring here and up it on other sites where you are free to talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Shout out to Alexander-Arnold. Doing an absolute brilliant job at right back. 19 years old only. Our youngest player ever to appear in a knockout game in the CL for us. Steady in defence, does nothing rash, cool head, great going forward, can pick out a pass/cross. Exciting to think that hopefully this lad can have another 10+ years at the club. Has all the attributes to be a world class right back.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Shout out to Alexander-Arnold. Doing an absolute brilliant job at right back. 19 years old only. Our youngest player ever to appear in a knockout game in the CL for us. Steady in defence, does nothing rash, cool head, great going forward, can pick out a pass/cross. Exciting to think that hopefully this lad can have another 10+ years at the club. Has all the attributes to be a world class right back.
    He done well but has a lot to learn, another great thing about last night is he can play the home leg and we can rest Gomez for the United game, both are very promising young defenders with different strengths , also have there own issues to sort out that will come with time ,

He done well but has a lot to learn, another great thing about last night is he can play the home leg and we can rest Gomez for the United game, both are very promising young defenders with different strengths , also have there own issues to sort out that will come with time ,

Yep, thats the thing..he's very young so to see him this mature already bodes well for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

He was fantastic. I really wouldn't be sure about rushing Clyne back unless TAA showed a drop in form. I thought Gomez had the edge on TAA, but he made some bad mistakes lately. Could be more suited to CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

robwen wrote: »

Remember United changing their strips at H/T against Southampton because Fergie claimed they couldn't see each other?

Can imagine us getting them in the CL and at H/T Mourinho demanding we change out of our orange strip because they can't see us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

mosstin wrote:
    Can imagine us getting them in the CL and at H/T Mourinho demanding we change out of our orange strip because they can't see us.

It makes sense as we are dressed like cena

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Liverpool win away from home 0-5 giving the team their worst ever home defeat and it was just because the other team had injuries.

Liverpool win away from home 0-5 giving the team their worst ever home defeat and it was just because the other team had injuries.

It's also the joint highest away win in the knockout stages ever.

Incredible performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

He was fantastic. I really wouldn't be sure about rushing Clyne back unless TAA showed a drop in form. I thought Gomez had the edge on TAA, but he made some bad mistakes lately. Could be more suited to CB.

I reckon we will only see Clyne a handful of times this season. A long season out injured is tough to come back from and I could see Klopp slowly building his fitness and form ahead of next season.

Ultimately, TAA and Gomez have done enough to deserve their continued run in the team anyway, so it might not be necessary.

Gomez has done very well for the most part but has a few issues - crossing sometimes goes awry, misses headers from time to time. These aren't major and are factors of his age as much as anything else.

TAA has been excellent IMO. Level headed, calm, enthusiastic, good positioning. The biggest struggles he has had have usually been the result of the player ahead of him (Mane, Ox, etc) not tracking back and leaving him exposed which is a tough one for any full-back, young or old.

As an aside, the last 3/4 games, Klopp has introduced Matip late on, switched us to a 3 at the back and played the game out that way. I wonder if he is viewing this as a long-term alternative for us and is using it now to test the waters? In theory, we have Van Dijk, Matip, Lovren, Klavan and Gomez for those 3 roles already, with Clyne, TAA, Moreno and Robertson all fitting right in at wing back. It's the midfield positions where we don't have the personnel right now and Keita, Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum isn't a bad group for that next season anyway...

If we went 3-4-3, it keeps Lallana, Salah, Mane, Firmino, Oxlade Chamberlain, Solanke and Ings all in the mix in the right positions too. He could well view it as a plan B for games where we are on the back foot or need a change of system for whatever reason!

Just a thought!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

source.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I think he will move into midfield as his career progresses

That Porto side were hammered by basel in the group stage, some perspective is needed here

But in the spirit of perspective it is the last 16 of the CL. You can only beat what's put in front of you.

Porto are no mugs but they looked like mugs last night as we were so good, IMO of course.

Augeo wrote: »
    But in the spirit of perspective it is the last 16 of the CL. You can only beat what's put in front of you.

Porto are no mugs but they looked like mugs last night as we were so good, IMO of course.

Plus Basel weren't even in their group, but he deleted his post so maybe had a reality check himself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

That Porto Benfica side were hammered by basel in the group stage, some perspective is needed here
    Corrected your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

A great jersey.

$_35.JPG?set_id=2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Didn't realise there were no yellow cards in the match last night. :eek:

That must be fairly rare these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Robertson chased down the ball boy to the get the match ball for Mane. :D
    “I had to go running after the ball boy for his ball at the end – he was nearly upset! Luckily, I managed to get it.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/290941-sadio-mane-porto-hat-trick-champions-league-robertson

For me the big question is what happens next year,
    We will have 3 players who will want to play for right back, Will one be sent on loan ?
    I know people say Gomez is a CB but I can't see him getting in there,
    We will have VVD,Dejan ,Matip , Klavan, maybe one of those will be sold but then I think we will bring another established CB in ,
    Trent may have to go on loan,. he needs to keep getting games ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We want to keep a big squad and the way Klopp is rotating no one is going to go out on loan I would imagine.

Robertson chased down the ball boy to the get the match ball for Mane. :D

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/290941-sadio-mane-porto-hat-trick-champions-league-robertson

You could see that in the background last night. Mane was looking for the match ball, ref didnt have it...and in the distance Robertson is off running towards the sideline to retrieve A ball...any ball!!! :D:pac:

For me the big question is what happens next year,
    We will have 3 players who will want to play for right back, Will one be sent on loan ?
    I know people say Gomez is a CB but I can't see him getting in there,
    We will have VVD,Dejan ,Matip , Klavan, maybe one of those will be sold but then I think we will bring another established CB in ,
    Trent may have to go on loan,. he needs to keep getting games ,

Think Klavan may be the one to head off... Clyne will be back next season, Gomez I think will develop more and more into a centre back over the coming years...himself and VVD could form a partnership there 2 years down the line. Think Trent will stay at the club and continue to progress. He's too good to go out on loan imo.

Id love to get the winner of the Roma game in the next round, but you just know United will beat Sevilla and get the easiest draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

So, a 9 day break now until the West Ham game.

Then a 7 day break to Newcastle. After that Klopp can rotate players in the 2nd leg against Porto and be ready for Man Utd on the Saturday. This has worked out really well and gives a great chance to manage fatigue over the next 4 weeks.

I'm hopeful that Man Utd need both legs to get the job done against Sevilla so we face a team with some rotation happening.

The Liverpool/Man Utd games have been rubbish since Mourinho took over, but I live in hope that we'll see a classic at some point. Neither set of fans have had anything to crow about since the Van Gaal days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Id love to get the winner of the Roma game in the next round, but you just know United will beat Sevilla and get the easiest draw

I don't care who we get. United barca Bayern real. Who cares? This is why we wanna play champions league. Besides I think we can score against anyone and that gives us a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Afternoon everybody!

That was a serious d1cking last night, relentless stuff.

Great result for Liverpool too.

Any craic? Did I miss anything?

Off to get the ride now, catch you saps again.

That was a serious d1cking last night, relentless stuff.

You beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Very very glad we bought VVD.

He is living up to the hype and the price tag. Overpaying like that is well worth when you know you are genuinely getting a huge upgrade.

These are the types of signing we need to look for in the summer. Would be happy with just 2 big signings of players of VVDs class.

His confidence and influence on the pitch is incredibly impressive given how new a signing he is. It's not just that he's an upgrade on Matip / Lovren in the position he takes, but he also upgrades whomever of Matip / Lovren plays alongside him. It's an important skill / attribute and one impossible to quantify with metrics. You really have to watch the match to see it, the way he talks and points, takes control, the confidence and calmness he has on the ball - this all filters through to the other players and helps them raise their game and fulfill their potential. This must be part of the reason Klopp was so insistent on getting him.

I'm glad we waited and didn't just go for another just very very good defender at £30-40m who doesn't have these special qualities.

He already looks like he's been captain of the team for years.

I'm sure he'll be given the armband next year, he exudes leadership.

Umaro wrote: »
    So, a 9 day break now until the West Ham game.

Then a 7 day break to Newcastle. After that Klopp can rotate players in the 2nd leg against Porto and be ready for Man Utd on the Saturday. This has worked out really well and gives a great chance to manage fatigue over the next 4 weeks.

I'm hopeful that Man Utd need both legs to get the job done against Sevilla so we face a team with some rotation happening.

The Liverpool/Man Utd games have been rubbish since Mourinho took over, but I live in hope that we'll see a classic at some point. Neither set of fans have had anything to crow about since the Van Gaal days.
    Id loooooovvvvvveeeeeeee a 1-0 win for us, I really would there result against Chelsea is HUGE, If United lose they will go into crisis mode, 3 loses pout of 4 games in the Prem ,

United will definitely win that. A draw would be lovely, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Morzadec wrote: »
    Very very glad we bought VVD.

He is living up to the hype and the price tag. Overpaying like that is well worth when you know you are genuinely getting a huge upgrade.

These are the types of signing we need to look for in the summer. Would be happy with just 2 big signings of players of VVDs class.

His confidence and influence on the pitch is incredibly impressive given how new a signing he is. It's not just that he's an upgrade on Matip / Lovren in the position he takes, but he also upgrades whomever of Matip / Lovren plays alongside him. It's an important skill / attribute and one impossible to quantify with metrics. You really have to watch the match to see it, the way he talks and points, takes control, the confidence and calmness he has on the ball - this all filters through to the other players and helps them raise their game and fulfill their potential. This must be part of the reason Klopp was so insistent on getting him.

I'm glad we waited and didn't just go for another just very very good defender at £30-40m who doesn't have these special qualities.

He already looks like he's been captain of the team for years.

I'm sure he'll be given the armband next year, he exudes leadership.

Hear hear van dijk is a rolls royce of a footballer. People need to realise we are a huge and very wealthy club, overpaying is sometimes neccessary.

My dream shopping list this summer would be Ndidi, Timo Werner, Pulisic or Brandt and a goalkeeper. We should have the funds availible and with coutinho,can and sturridge(most likely gone) there is plenty of wages there to offer players.

Delighted to see Karius with such a big smile on his face too. He deserves to play every game til the summer to see what he can do. Mig should be shipped out asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Some lad on reddit made this for the goals

https://gfycat.com/BlankMeatyColt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know the CL scoring record over two legs? Can we beat it?

shamrock55 wrote: »
    How do you get a yellow card,I want one they look kinda cool

I wanna go all out with a two footed tackle for the straight red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Not even James Milner could escape a card in this thread :pac:

Delighted to see Karius with such a big smile on his face too. He deserves to play every game til the summer to see what he can do. Mig should be shipped out asap.

https://twitter.com/AnythingLFC_/status/964098805779042304

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

shamrock55 wrote: »
    How do you get a yellow card,I want one they look kinda cool

Just upset a Man utd or Chelsea poster or disagree with a mod.

I suspect this post may receive a card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Klopp on Robertson:
    Finally he found his crosses, I thought they were in Scotland or somewhere!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

This thread never ceases to amaze me, catching up is like sprawling through a spate of yellow cards, sex lives and football. Each as interesting as the next. Thrilling stuff !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Just going off track a bit but I hope to god that bastard Barry bennell gets a life sentence on Monday for what he put those men through when they were young boys,words can't express what he did and what those boys went through and are going through now

tony-chapron-gif-11060749.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

x43r0 wrote: »
    Klopp on Robertson:
    Finally he found his crosses, I thought they were in Scotland or somewhere!
    He was unlucky not to have an assist or two last night.
    His crossing has been poor so far, hopefully it'll continue to improve cause he's easily our best left back.
    I guess Moreno showed more in training at the start of the season to merit selection. But it's not even a question now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

[IMG][/img]814lbZWIGTL._SX355_.jpg

Got one these in post this morning for all our peace talks in here recently. Somehow, I don't think I'll get much use out of it now.

XkV3ykV.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement