Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

I've literally just got the worst hair cut ever, still can't spoil my mood though after last night. Charging the clippers now, think I can probably fix it myself.

anigif_original-grid-image-5560-1379083696-32.gif?crop=500:331;0,11}

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I've literally just got the worst hair cut ever, still can't spoil my mood though after last night. Charging the clippers now, think I can probably fix it myself.

I got my hair cut on Monday and when she asked if that was enough off the top, I said yes. It wasn't :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know the CL scoring record over two legs? Can we beat it?

Biggest two leg wins
    • Benfica holds the overall record by beating Stade Dudelange 18–0 in the preliminary round in 1965–66. They beat the Luxembourgers by 8–0 and 10–0
    • As for the group stage, record belongs to Shakhtar Donetsk, who beat BATE Borisov 12–0 (7–0 away, 5–0 at home) in 2014–15. Including the preliminary rounds, HJK Helsinki holds the Champions League era record by beating Bangor City 13–0 (3–0, 10–0) in 2011–12
    • Bayern Munich holds the biggest margin of overall home and away result in the Champions League era in play-off. They beat Sporting CP 12–1 (5–0, 7–1) in the round of 16 in 2008–09.
    • Real Madrid holds the record for the biggest win in a quarter-final, beating Sevilla 10–2 (8–0, 2–2) in 1957–58. During the Champions League era, Bayern Munich holds the record by beating Kaiserslautern 6–0 (2–0, 4–0) in 1998–99.
    • Eintracht Frankfurt holds the record for the biggest win in a semi-final, beating Rangers 12–4 (6–1, 6–3) in 1959–60. During the Champions League era, Bayern Munich holds the record by beating Barcelona 7–0 (4–0, 3–0) in 2012–13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Top 3 most disappointing Pool players? Those who arrived with huge expectation placed upon them but failed to deliver.
    Mine are:
    3. Diouf
    2. Collymore
    1. Carroll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Right everyone.

There is a process ongoing with the posts that got deleted and carded overnight and this morning.

I've just deleted a lot of posts so we can get back on topic again as quickly as possible, and stay there.

If you have any questions please PM me.

If you don't agree with a mod decision, it really is in your best interests to not post on thread. If we don't see every reported post, apologies, but if in doubt, if you send a PM we should definitely see it.

As I say, we're looking at it.

We can still see carded posts, even if they're deleted, so they haven't been forgotten.

Thanks, and get back to celebrating that mauling last night :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

I don't think I can include Andy Carroll because I hoped it would work out but we all knew it was crazy really.

Three players I had high expectations for that didn't work out for various reasons:

1) Kewell
    2) Keane
    3) Morientes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

This is gonna go so south, so quick, so IBTL:

1: Aquilani
    2: Poulson
    3: Diouf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

redmgar wrote: »
    Top 3 most disappointing Pool players? Those who arrived with huge expectation placed upon them but failed to deliver.
    Mine are:
    3. Diouf
    2. Collymore
    1. Carroll
    Diouf and Collymore definitely go on the list. There was a big expectation that both would do well (Collymore more so than Diouf). At least Collymore produced a few moments of magic. Diouf on the other hand was always poison.

In my opinion, Carroll doesn't deserve to be on the list, simply for the fact that I don't think fans genuinely had high expectations for him, despite the fee. I remember the general consensus the day after we signed him on deadline day being like that of when you wake up next to an absolute stinker of a woman after being drunk the night before.

I think Phil Babb has to go on the list too. Most expensive defender in England at that time, had just been brilliant for Ireland in the World Cup. There was huge expectation that he could be a leader of the defence for years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Jesus things have gotten very strict in here,can't remember seeing any problematic posts tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Biggest two leg wins
    • Benfica holds the overall record by beating Stade Dudelange 18–0 in the preliminary round in 1965–66. They beat the Luxembourgers by 8–0 and 10–0
    • As for the group stage, record belongs to Shakhtar Donetsk, who beat BATE Borisov 12–0 (7–0 away, 5–0 at home) in 2014–15. Including the preliminary rounds, HJK Helsinki holds the Champions League era record by beating Bangor City 13–0 (3–0, 10–0) in 2011–12
    • Bayern Munich holds the biggest margin of overall home and away result in the Champions League era in play-off. They beat Sporting CP 12–1 (5–0, 7–1) in the round of 16 in 2008–09.
    • Real Madrid holds the record for the biggest win in a quarter-final, beating Sevilla 10–2 (8–0, 2–2) in 1957–58. During the Champions League era, Bayern Munich holds the record by beating Kaiserslautern 6–0 (2–0, 4–0) in 1998–99.
    • Eintracht Frankfurt holds the record for the biggest win in a semi-final, beating Rangers 12–4 (6–1, 6–3) in 1959–60. During the Champions League era, Bayern Munich holds the record by beating Barcelona 7–0 (4–0, 3–0) in 2012–13.

Some impressive scorelines there, we wont be coming near to beating those in the second leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Jesus things have gotten very strict in here,can't remember seeing any problematic posts tbh

https://imgflip.com/i/y93c5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Would like to say Thanks to the mods for my card.

Very happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

3 biggest disappointments

Aquaman - huge investment / zero return
    Keane - Irish hero / Liverpool fan / face didn't fit
    Jari Litmanen - Gifted luxury player who never seemed to work hard enough during games but you prayed would be in the starting line-up every week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Mark Gonzalez - it seemed like we were trying to sign him for about 5 years then he arrived and disappeared in Lazar Markovic style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bayern Munich holds the biggest margin of overall home and away result in the Champions League era in play-off. They beat Sporting CP 12–1 (5–0, 7–1) in the round of 16 in 2008–09.

This seems an entirely reasonable target. I mean Munich let in one so no reason to not aim at least that high.

/Klopp to field under 18/23 pick 'n mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Good Valentine's day all the same. Enjoyed a nice massacre and nobody felt left out without a card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

garra wrote: »
    3 biggest disappointments

Aquaman - huge investment / zero return
    Keane - Irish hero / Liverpool fan / face didn't fit
    Jari Litmanen - Gifted luxury player who never seemed to work hard enough during games but you prayed would be in the starting line-up every week

Keane was fine, manager just never wanted him without Gareth Barry for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Nuri Sahin
    Robbie Keane
    Aquaman

Sahin.

Jaysus. That could have been great.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    Sahin.

What a coup that was, again I the manager didnt have a clue where to play him. He was a deep lying CM but Rodgers insisted on playing him further forward.

Disappointments? In terms of expectations is hard for me as I tend to expect nothing regardless of the price paid or reputation.

Ryan Babel because he did have something, just not often enough it turned out.
    Harry Kewell epic at Leeds, injured at Liverpool
    Djibril Cissé genuinely exciting centre forward, could and should have been as good as Torres was for Liverpool.

(btw looking back over the names it's clear that Liverpool's best players are so often under the radar type signings and that's the case going back decades)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Very harsh to include Robbie Keane IMO. He was never given a chance. May or may not have worked out but I dont think the blame could be blamed at his feet like many of the others on the lists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Daniel clearly has signed for Dundalk on a 2 year deal..

Daniel clearly has signed for Dundalk on a 2 year deal..

Alright no need to get your knickers in a twist..

Daniel Cleary even!

• Advertisement

Monchi - "We got €50 million for him, which is a figure I don’t feel is the best for him right now"

Ha no ****, ye got fleeced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Alright no need to get your knickers in a twist..

;) lol a bit of a down fall for him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

rob316 wrote: »
    Ha no ****, ye got fleeced.

Which unfortunately makes a deal for Allison in the summer to be quite unlikely in terms of the money Roma would expect. They wouldn't take anything less than the buy-out, which is €100m I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

SlickRic wrote: »

If you don't agree with a mod decision, it really is in your best interests to not post on thread.

Just a clarification on this one SR... Don't post at all anymore if we don't agree with the moderation of a thread?

Hoping you meant just don't post your disagreement, not that we exist in a 'like it or lump it' forum where the moderators and admins are completely averse to discussion or change, so feck off elsewhere if you don't adhere.

Even the former I'd have a bit of an issue with, in that stifling discussion isn't exactly healthy, but the latter would be ridiculous.

I don't really get the point of deleting posts either, tbh (do deleted posts still count towards a poster's infraction count?). Not like anything offensive or spiteful was posted. What's learned or gained from that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

There's 3 from recent years that stand out for me.

Markovic - Spent £20 million on him and he never amounted to anything and is still on the wage books. Now on his 4th loan spell and will probably leave the club on a free when his contract runs out. From the youtube clips it looked like he had unbelievable pace, but he never seemed to show that willingness to try beat his man when he played for us. Hasn't played a competitive game for Liverpool in 3 years.

Aspas - Great in La Liga, awful in the PL. Will always be remembered for that corner. I just checked him out on wikipedia to see what his record has been like since he rejoined Celta. 48 goals in 88 appearances, which is a really great return. We didn't get rinsed as badly as the Markovic deal, and the fact that he continues to do well in Spain at least means that it was maybe worth the gamble?

Balotelli - £16 million. 1 league goal. Manager didn't want him. Manger ended up getting him. Massive disruption to the squad. All the potential in the world yet no willingness to achieve it. Had to be held back by Liverpool fans when he tried to go for Chris Smalling (although weirdly I like that he wanted to do that!) We let him go on a free a year before his contract was due to run out, such was the desire to get rid of him. Since rolling up in the French leagues his record is 28 goals in 40 appearances. Easier league for sure, but he could've achieved so much more..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Robbie Keane
    Nuri Sahin
    Mark Kennedy
    Mark Gonzalez
    Sean Dundee
    Jari Litmanen
    Christian Ziege
    Markus Babbel
    Chris Kirkland
    Anthony Le Tallec
    Bruno Cheryou
    El-Hadji Diouf
    Harry Kewell
    Djibiril Cisse
    Ryan Babel
    Jermaine Pennant
    Alberto Aquilani
    Joe Cole
    Stewart Downing
    Fabio Borini

And a lot more - never lived up to what I thought they should have when they signed whether that was through injury, selection, bad luck or just not being very good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Umaro wrote: »

Aspas - Great in La Liga, awful in the PL. Will always be remembered for that corner. I just checked him out on wikipedia to see what his record has been like since he rejoined Celta. 48 goals in 88 appearances, which is a really great return. We didn't get rinsed as badly as the Markovic deal, and the fact that he continues to do well in Spain at least means that it was maybe worth the gamble?

Aspas started 5 league games for Liverpool, 4 of them in the first 5 games of the season when Suarez was out with his ban, and was subbed off before the 71st minute in all of them. Everybody will remember the corner but he wasn't bad, he just never played, and rightly so as we had the best two strikers in the league that year. He shouldn't have been moved on at the end of the season though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Robbie Keane
    Nuri Sahin
    Mark Kennedy
    Mark Gonzalez
    Sean Dundee
    Jari Litmanen
    Christian Ziege
    Markus Babbel
    Chris Kirkland
    Anthony Le Tallec
    Bruno Cheryou
    El-Hadji Diouf
    Harry Kewell
    Djibiril Cisse
    Ryan Babel
    Jermaine Pennant
    Alberto Aquilani
    Joe Cole
    Stewart Downing
    Fabio Borini

And a lot more - never lived up to what I thought they should have when they signed whether that was through injury, selection, bad luck or just not being very good!

Babbel was excellent. Pity he got injured and then that awful disease. When he played for us he was very good. A tractor, a tireless runner, versatile, and positionally very good. He'd have been great in the current team too.

Knex. wrote: »

Hoping you meant just don't post your disagreement............

Even the former I'd have a bit of an issue with, in that stifling discussion isn't exactly healthy............

Straight from the charter, FYI

RULE DISCUSSION: We do not tolerate discussion of moderation, moderation of posts or reportable posts in thread. If you have a problem with the forum rules, PM the mods or message the Cat Mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Knex. wrote: »
    Just a clarification on this one SR... Don't post at all anymore if we don't agree with the moderation of a thread?

Hoping you meant just don't post your disagreement, not that we exist in a 'like it or lump it' forum where the moderators and admins are completely averse to discussion or change, so feck off elsewhere if you don't adhere.

Even the former I'd have a bit of an issue with, in that stifling discussion isn't exactly healthy, but the latter would be ridiculous.

I don't really get the point of deleting posts either, tbh (do deleted posts still count towards a poster's infraction count?). Not like anything offensive or spiteful was posted. What's learned or gained from that?

It was a typo.

I obviously meant not to post your disagreements about a mod decision on thread. I didn't mean 'stop posting if you don't like the mod decision'.

I'm not getting into the other stuff. There are posters who have no interest in this discussion and it's not what the thread is for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Joe "fat baby" cole was a major dissapointment for me. I remember being away with my mates in spain when his signing was announced. I was giving it large saying it was a huge signing as it felt like a major coup at the time but he was fecking dreadful. Always felt he ran like he had a nappy full of ****e on him hence i called him fat baby.

Kewell was another major dissapointment. The original sick note

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

ballyargus wrote: »
    Babbel was excellent. Pity he got injured and then that awful disease. When he played for us he was very good. A tractor, a tireless runner, versatile, and positionally very good. He'd have been great in the current team too.

This +1

Was excellent in the 2000/01 season when we collected 3 trophies. An immense player and a joy to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Nuri Sahin - A fantastic player at Dortmund, ruined by Real.

Litmanen - This was the one I was genuinely excited about. He'd been tearing up the Eredivisie and Europe with Ajax before he went to Barcelona and was wasted at the Camp Nou. I thought we were getting a player akin to Bergkamp with him.

Injuries and then Houllier took their toll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Sahin.

I had completely forgotten he ever played for us...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Jari Litmanen was too unselfish for his own good

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Didn't Sahin really put Rogers to the sword with comments after he went back?

I think Klopp still rates Sahin as the best player he had then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Didn't Sahin really put Rogers to the sword with comments after he went back?

I think Klopp still rates Sahin as the best player he had then.

What Klopp had to say on it.
    “Nuri’s a brilliant player.”

“It was the wrong position [for Sahin to play],” he said.

“If you are a No. 8 or 6 and you have to as a No. 9 or 10 – it’s not possible.

“For some guys of course it’s possible, but Nuri’s a brilliant player – not nine-and-a-half and not 10 – and I don’t know why Brendan Rodgers would do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I was trimming my beard on Tuesday and took a bit too much off and by the end of the day ended up clean shaven and much shorter on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Good Valentine's day all the same. Enjoyed a nice massacre and nobody felt left out without a card.

I only got one card on Valentines day and it was a yellow one from a Man United fan :D

Just checked there. Has he really only played 29 games since 2014?!

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I was trimming my beard on Tuesday and took a bit too much off and by the end of the day ended up clean shaven and much shorter on top.

I have a shaved head now. Great time of the year for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Nuri Sahin hardly set the world alight since leaving Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

robwen wrote:

Add Kagawa & Goetze to the list of lads who went back to Dortmund only to do very little :/

robwen wrote: »

Injuries have destroyed his career.

• Advertisement

News starting to appear tonight that we are trying to buy Alisson now ahead of the summer.

Roma looking for £62m/€70m for him.

https://twitter.com/Oliver__Bond/status/964219932362846208

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement