Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

beya2009 wrote: »
    I really think Klopp is building a super team that hopefully with the addition of Keita in the summer can really make a charge for big trophies next season. Also early days but I think virgil van dijk will make a massive difference. We're a bad match up for anyone in champions league as we love cup competitions.

Except for the League Cup, FA Cup and any pre-season cups. We’re crap at those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Crap at pre-season cups? I must have dreamt this:

MapgshC.jpg

Maybe next season we can win one of the real trophies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

I really think Klopp is building a super team that hopefully with the addition of Keita in the summer can really make a charge for big trophies next season. Also early days but I think virgil van dijk will make a massive difference. We're a bad match up for anyone in champions league as we love cup competitions.

We were out on our arse early enough in the League and FA cups this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

We love cup competitions do we?? That's a new one on me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Went to see Sligo Rovers featuring a certain Adam Morgan this evening. It's sad to see such a swift decline. I had expected him to stand out in terms of an occasional touch of class but he was just absorbed in the general drabness of the affair. He tried, didn't hide but never looked a threat. Early days but the LOI is an unforgiving league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Along with Keita next season, if we could also add Allison (Roma) and Ndidi (Leicester) then I think we genuinely could have a side capable of challenging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Allison is not on the list according to Paul Joyce two days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Augeo wrote: »
    Worth 200k + week IMO.
    I'm sure Fowler was on 80k/week at some stage 15+ years ago.

Nah he wasn’t. He may have got that second time around but when he left Liverpool he was on about £35k and signed for Leeds for £40 k per week. Im probably getting my numbers slightly wrong regarding his LFC salary but the Leeds numbers are right.
    I doubt a player as savvy as Fowler would leave Liverpool with less than 18 months on his contract and take a pay cut.

I agree regarding Bobby. Throw all the money at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Allison is not on the list according to Paul Joyce two days ago.

He actually didn't.

The headline of his piece did but the actual article had nothing in it about Alisson.

Pearce has said Liverpool are unlikely to follow up.

Reddy is the only one saying Liverpool have ended interest.

The way Reina is playing in Italy.......Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭beya2009

martyos121 wrote: »
    Except for the League Cup, FA Cup and any pre-season cups. We’re crap at those.

Fair point but I have a sneaky feeling about our chances in champions league. I still remember Istanbul final where at half time I was ready to pack it in to go study for exams but decided to watch on and we know the rest lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

He actually didn't.

The headline of his piece did but the actual article had nothing in it about Alisson.

Pearce has said Liverpool are unlikely to follow up.

Reddy is the only one saying Liverpool have ended interest.

The way Reina is playing in Italy
    .......Nah.

I mean, he's been fine. Not like his career took a noticeable jump or anything, he was a very good keeper for us for a number of years.

He makes mistakes for them still, but they value his leadership and personality so highly that it compensates. I wouldn't be saying that because Reina has been valued at Napoli for a few years that goalkeepers from Seria A are unlikely to succeed in the PL, a league where you'd have to say Reina himself succeeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Probably early to be talking about summer business, but with no games on this weekend, **** it!

Who would we like to see / what areas need to be addressed?

My two cents:

Goalkeeper:

We apparently are no longer interested in Allison because of the price tag. Karius has looked solid lately, but he hasn't done anything to suggest he is in the same league as de Gea, Courtois, Lloris, Ederson and this is where we should be aiming.

The relationship between Mignolet and Klopp does not seem to be good and Migs probably wants first team football.

So I would still be in favour of investing aggressively in this area, if we can be sure we are getting a player of the highest quality, a goalkeeper that matches the best in the league.

I genuinely have no idea if Allison is that player, but he is talked of very highly. Oblak is another player mentioned very highly, though I do wonder if he is more of a "defensive goalkeeper" in the mould de Gea and Courtois, where we want more of an aggressive goalkeeper to sweep up after our high line like Lloris and Ederson.

Solution: Mignolet out: £15m, Allison in £55m, Net spend £40m

Left-back -

Moreno has either been superb or terrible this season depending on who you talk to. Ultimately I think he's largely been pretty decent, but the occasional lapses and recklessness in defence are not even really offset by a brilliant attacking contribution. I don't think his decision-making and final ball in the final third are anything above average. I'm not a Moreno hater, and he's okay for backup, but I would like to see him moved on to make way for a new Left-Back.

Robertson has been superb signing. Very dependable and showing more and more quality going forward. I have doubts about whether he will progress beyond a very good player though, I don't think he has potential to be world class. He should still be considered number 1, but I'd love proper competition and maybe a player who offers something a little different with more attacking threat.

Solution: Getting a quality young attacking Left Back to offer competition and backup to Robbo, who at worst will serve as a very good player in the future and at best could end up being the best in his position in the league.

Sell Moreno (£15m), Buy Sessegnon (£40m), net spend of £25m

Centre-mid

Keita is coming in, but we will likely need a Can replacement. We are arguably lacking a true DM, so do we arguably need 2 signings here?

I think we definitely need a very physichal CM to compensate for Can going.

Ndidi has been mentioned, who seems more like a true DM. Doucoure is as player who I think would be quite a like-for-like replacement for Can, psychical but also with a great range of passing and an eye for getting forward and getting involved in goals. Milinkovic-Savic is another name I've seen mentioned that would fit this mould, tall and imposing but gets forward too. I don't know much about him but he seems very highly rated, good age, 2 impressive seasons behind him.

Whoever we go for I hope we spend big on the target we think is best suited.

Solution: Unfortunately looks like Can is out for free. Mili-Savic in for an estimated £60m, Net spend £60m

Forward / Attacking Midfielder

Obviously we have a superb attacking trio. Keita comes in to replace Cout when he played in the mid 3, but we have not replaced Cout's attacking influence in the front 3.

We also need quality of the highest calibre to cover injuries / fatigue / loss of form of the deadly trio. The best teams don't talk about starting XIs, they have high quality all through the squad, so we shouldn't be talking about "backup" signings here. We already have players like that in Ings and Solanke.

Arguably we want a more creative player in Coutinho's mould than the pacy directness of Mane / Salah to offer something different. Pulisic has been a name mentioned and would fit this mould. He's still very young so would be okay with playing more of a rotation role to start.

Richarlison is another young player with bags of potential, obviously a player more in the mould of Mane, would could cover all front 3 positions, and again would be a player who would provide immediate quality competition but very much be one for the future too.

Werner has a great goal scoring record, seems to be more of an out and out CF than the other players mentioned. Fits the mould again as a young player with potential who provides immediate quality in the front line too.

As for exits, Sturridge really does not suit our style and should be moved on, Origi does not seem to have the quality required to be more than an okay backup and we already have Ings and Solanke.

Solution: Sturridge (£15m) and Origi (£15m) out, one of the above 3 in (£60m), Net spend £30m

Total spend of about £155m, which is not a huge spend when you think that Cout's fee largely covers all this.

Obviously there's a bunch of players I haven't considered and it probably won't go anything like this, but any thoughts on this?

Are there positions I've left out, or any of the ones I've included that you don't agree with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I actually don't see us getting a few for Sturridge at this stage.

Sturridge is practically unsellable, at least Andy Carroll will be fit for a few games and goals every now and again. Really do not see Pulisic joining, BVB want to keep him and will sell him for Dembele money when that happens, mind you I suspect he's over-rated and just wanted on the assumption that being American the owners would push the boat out for him. I don't buy that at all.

Sell Mig, Moreno, Sturridge (if possible)
    Make judgements on Grujic, Origi and Lovren in pre-season
    Henderson as squad player (or sell)

Buy GK, Federico Dimarco or Kieran Tierney (left back) Ruben Neves (CM/DM), Nabil Fekir (AM), Kevin Volland (STR/LW/RW)

£250m football manager ideal transfers for me.

If it true Wanyama wants out of Spurs I'd be all over that Levy would charge a fortune but I think it would be worth it.

I would be all over Wolves for Neves.

Getting those two in with Keita our midfield looks a whole lot stronger.

Double down on Spurs and offer them double Alderweireld's buyout clause which would be £60m.

I would go for Alisson as well.

Those going out should bring in a bit Sturridge £10m Mignolet £10m Moreno £10m Origi £20m Henderson £25m.

I really do think Henderson could leave in the summer.

Sturridge will be with us until June 2019 when his contract is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

If we buy sessegnon it wouldnt be as a left back lad is no better defender then moreno. Now play him as a winger which is where he mostly plays for fulham and thats a different story lad is a quality player but way too soon to be a left back, play to his strengths which are going forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Sturridge will be with us until June 2019 when his contract is up.

Someone might take a gamble on paying half or thereabouts of his wages on loan, but yeah, an actual sale seems doomed now unless he has a fantastic run til the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Henderson £25m.

Why do you think Hendo will leave out of interest? I think he's a good squad option and will be happy to stay as such.

He can play a playmaking DM role (okay maybe not to Alonso's standard but he's an option) or an all round CM game. He's a good player.

Considering what we paid for Ox with one year left on his contract I would hope for at least £10m more than that for Hendo in this crazy market. But he's not someone I would consider selling, he knows the club, loves the club, a good role model for the young lads and is a dependable player who has a part to play.

I do think his role should be slightly more as a backup and less of a starter (as it's arguably become already) and that we should take the captaincy off him (for VVD), but selling him for £25m I'd be against, as we'd have to spend the same money again (or more) getting a player in to fill his role and it's just kind of unnecessary disruption to the squad imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Double down on Spurs and offer them double Alderweireld's buyout clause which would be £60m.

Why? Is his buyout only for European teams or something?

If it's just a standard buyout then they have no say in the matter once it's met.

Don't see any evidence of this. Klopp seems to be trying to keep him fit and put him in where we need him the most.

Seems like wishful thinking on your part.

Even a half a season's worth of Hendo seems to be something Klopp really wants to have and he's been happy to rest him to get him in for the bigger games.

Assuming he's fit, I think we'll see it again with him rested vs Porto and brought in against Utd.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    Why? Is his buyout only for European teams or something?

If it's just a standard buyout then they have no say in the matter once it's met.

Don't see any evidence of this. Klopp seems to be trying to keep him fit and put him in where we need him the most.

Seems like wishful thinking on your part.

Even a half a season's worth of Hendo seems to be something Klopp really wants to have and he's been happy to rest him to get him in for the bigger games.

Assuming he's fit, I think we'll see it again with him rested vs Porto and brought in against Utd.

No mention of it being a European club clause anywhere I have read just a £25m buyout that is activated in 2019.

He wants out and to be paid a proper wages in this day and age and Levy won't pay. A lot of Spurs players in the vote and contracts are being run down.
    Alderweireld’s contract is currently worth £50,000-a-week and is due to run until 2019. Tottenham have the option of extending it by a further 12 months, but that would also bring about the onset of a £25million release clause that could be triggered in the summer of 2019.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/09/04/toby-alderweireld-plunges-spurs-future-doubt-demand-correct/

On Henderson yes he would be an ideal squad player and that is the role I think he will take up at the club if he stays but I don't think that would be the best for him I do think he deserves to play fulltime in the prime of his career I just don't see that happening at Liverpool in an attacking role which is his best position and we need a lot better of a player in the holding role than Henderson.

His fitness and injury record over the last few seasons aren't great either.

I just don't see that happening at Liverpool and if Spurs were to come in for him as they were linked last summer I would happily do a deal with them for Wanyama.

His fitness and injury record over the last few seasons aren't great either.

I just don't see that happening at Liverpool and if Spurs were to come in for him as they were linked last summer I would happily do a deal with them for Wanyama.

As things stand he's still in our best team, even with Keita, so unless we're signing 2 more midfielders I doubt he's going anywhere.

I'd imagine we'll see Hendo, Keita and either an AM or a new winger (although I don't really think we'll drastically change the system after being so narrow this season) with Lallana, AOC and Gini on the bench.

We might see a roughly even split in game time, but who they're against will always be the best indicator, and Klopp has always tried to get Jordan in for the big games. I can't see that changing.

If we get another CM on top of that, I'd imagine it'll be more Grujic than Keita in its level of ambitiousness.

As things stand he's still in our best team, even with Keita, so unless we're signing 2 more midfielders I doubt he's going anywhere.

I'd imagine we'll see Hendo, Keita and either an AM or a new winger (although I don't really think we'll drastically change the system after being so narrow this season) with Lallana, AOC and Gini on the bench.

We might see a roughly even split in game time, but who they're against will always be the best indicator, and Klopp has always tried to get Jordan in for the big games. I can't see that changing.

If we get another CM on top of that, I'd imagine it'll be more Grujic than Keita in its level of ambitiousness.

We will agree to disagree on that.

To be honest we do need at least two more midfielders on top of Keita.

Henderson if he does stay can't be relied on with his injury history and Can is leaving and Milner is another year older and Coutinho is gone.

You'll be agreeing to disagree with Kloppo as well, which is why he won't be going anywhere.

You'll be agreeing to disagree with Kloppo as well, which is why he won't be going anywhere.

Cool no problem disagreeing there either.

Just like I disagreed with him on some his defensives picks over the last couple of years.

To be honest we do need at least two more midfielders on top of Keita.

Henderson if he does stay can't be relied on with his injury history and Can is leaving and Milner is another year older and Coutinho is gone.

We aren't replacing an entire midfield in one window.

Keita.

Maybe one more central player.

£25m buyout clause so offer them £60m....? A bizarre tactic.

Throwing a signing on fee at the player or huge wages would be the way to go if klopp wants him.

Augeo wrote: »
    £25m buyout clause so offer them £60m....? A bizarre tactic.

Throwing a signing on fee at the player or huge wages would be the way to go if klopp wants him.

I assume it's to try and snuff out a bidding war with other suitors.

Though tbh, the non-English clubs usually won't pay more than they have to.

I'd imagine we'll be getting an attacker of some sort as well as another midfielder of some stripe so even if Milner leaves (I do think that's a possibility), we'll have

Hendo, Keita, AOC, Lallana, Gini, Grujic + 1 new guy for the 3 midfield positions.

It's certainly enough bodies, particularly if we get another attacker as well, as that'd leave AOC and Lallana always free to play in the midfield role even while resting 2 of the starting front 3 (ie, covering the other half of Coutinho's role in the squad).

Maybe if we decided Grujic wasn't up to snuff we'd move him on and get another young midfielder in.
    Otherwise, I don't think they'll be needed.

In 2019 it could well be time for Hendo or Lallana, if they have yet another year of poor fitness/form, and Lallana will be 31 by then as well, but Klopp doesn't hold Hendo in contempt the way some on here do so he won't be in any rush to shove him out the door.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    I assume it's to try and snuff out a bidding war with other suitors.

Though tbh, the non-English clubs usually won't pay more than they have to.

Once the release clause is met the player is the one who decides if he goes or stays :)
    Throwing in excess of the release clause at the club is nothing short of lunacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Someone might take a gamble on paying half or thereabouts of his wages on loan, but yeah, an actual sale seems doomed now unless he has a fantastic run til the end of the season.

He can’t walk without crippling himself...a run of any kind is out of the question.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    He can’t walk without crippling himself...a run of any kind is out of the question.

Your alleged disinterest continues.

I think we have to bite the bullet with Sturridge and just let him sit out his contract and play him in the under 23's when/if ever he is fit.

Maybe give him to Gerrard as an over aged player if that's allowed.

No point in buying out out his contract and releasing him at this stage.

Maybe we are lucky and some stupid club will offer us some cash for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Morzadec wrote: »
    Why do you think Hendo will leave out of interest? I think he's a good squad option and will be happy to stay as such.

He can play a playmaking DM role (okay maybe not to Alonso's standard but he's an option) or an all round CM game. He's a good player.

Considering what we paid for Ox with one year left on his contract I would hope for at least £10m more than that for Hendo in this crazy market. But he's not someone I would consider selling, he knows the club, loves the club, a good role model for the young lads and is a dependable player who has a part to play.

I do think his role should be slightly more as a backup and less of a starter (as it's arguably become already) and that we should take the captaincy off him (for VVD), but selling him for £25m I'd be against, as we'd have to spend the same money again (or more) getting a player in to fill his role and it's just kind of unnecessary disruption to the squad imo.

For his professional attitude and workrate he is worth a place in the squad alone, we shouldn't be depending on him as a starter but if he is happy to play a less stellar role we should not consider flogging him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its not a proper transfer conversation in here without ricero coming in to say we should spend MASSIVE :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭beya2009

Have to feel for Sturridge with his injury record but I think Craig Bellamy made the point in skys the debate that your rarely 100% fit to play every game and he would know with his long list of injuries. It looks like Klopp ultimately got fed up with him and just couldn't trust him due to unreliable injury record. The west brom game where he got injured in a few minutes is pretty much the reason he was sent out on loan. He's had permanent offers from a number of clubs but he's on a big contract at liverpool so he probably just wants to run it down which I can't blame him as next move will be a pay cut no doubt. Rooney was on like 300k for united and at everton it's 150k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Is next season too soon to be trying TAA in the midfield? Maybe in cup games?

If there's even a grain of truth in Wanyama wanting to leave we should be all over that, even allowing for the Daniel Levy surplus that the club would have to pay. He could easily be that monster DM Gerrard referenced, and would free up Keita to do lovely Keita things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,049 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I’m guessing Agent Coulson’s point on doubling the release clause, is to do this this year, before the clause actually becomes activated next year.

As it stands, waiting for the release clause to kick in means we couldn’t bring him in till the season after next. So yeah, maybe worth throwing in a bigger bid to try to get him sooner.

If we want to have a serious bash off the LGE next year were gonna at least need a keeper, a DM,a cm aswell as keita,a forward player and a cb to partner vd and if we get 3 of those I'd be surprised tbh

Jesus Christ what a dive by deli ali

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I’m guessing Agent Coulson’s point on doubling the release clause, is to do this this year, before the clause actually becomes activated next year.

As it stands, waiting for the release clause to kick in means we couldn’t bring him in till the season after next. So yeah, maybe worth throwing in a bigger bid to try to get him sooner.

That's it I really don't see how anyone cannot see that.

Levy is a businessman offer him double the buyout clause this summer and at least you have him thinking.

Wait till 2019 and then you have the likes of both Manchester clubs Munich, Barca & Madrid and PSG joining in for the the best CB playing in the PL who can offer a lot more than we can.

Double his buyout clause is still cheaper than we paid for VVD.

I'd happily give Spurs £100m and change for Alderweireld & Wanyama.

That's an extra game for spurs,fair play to Rochdale,trip to Wembley for them too

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Spurs will then if they are actually interested in cashing in just offer him about to anyone else interested. And we'll be after kicking the bids off at £60m :)

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ what a dive by deli ali

Haven't seen it but guardian, sky and BBC all say it was a peno.

I cheered that Rochdale equaliser like it was Liverpool! :D every extra game is good news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Delighted. The possibility of Spurs hitting the physical wall just increased a little bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

brevity wrote: »

More successful than anyone in our current squad yet more maligned?!

More successful than anyone in our current squad yet more maligned?!

Milner & Sturridge would be more successful I would take a guess.

All down to that own goal I would imagine the maligned part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Haven't seen it but guardian, sky and BBC all say it was a peno.

Have you ever seen the BBC, or Sky (not sure about the guardian), or indeed any UK based media call out Alli/Kane/etc on a dive???

Perfect result really...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement