Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Wonder if you know who will play for West Ham on Saturday and what kind of reception he will get if he does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Evra? Thought they just signed him to make stupid social media videos where he makes a fool of himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Wonder if you know who will play for West Ham on Saturday and what kind of reception he will get if he does

Bobby to fake out on the handshake, just for lulz, 'best we could do, Pat...'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yeah even if it's just Can that goes in the summer, we need an investment in the middle.

Henderson is fine but nothing special. Milner is pushing on - for every great game he has, he has 2 or 3 fine ones. Rarely makes a mistake but rarely elevates us either.

Wijnaldum is a good but frustrating player in that he, too, doesn't often make big errors but he also doesn't seem capable of those game-changing moments that he has produced from time to time in his career. Plus that away goal thing...

Lallana is great but injuries and age mean we have probably seen his best for us. Happy for him to remain part of the team but wouldn't want to rely too heavily on him.

I like Oxlade-Chamberlain and am happy for him to be part of the set-up.

If we had Keita, new signing, Henderson, Oxlade Chamberlain, Lallana, Wijnaldum and Milner, we're doing okay. If we replaced Henderson with a new starting DM and added some attacking zeal, we're vastly improved. I don't expect that, mind.

It seems that every one of our players has a "but..." after them as to why they should or shouldn't be a guaranteed starter. I think what is telling is that if they were to all leave in the morning, it wouldn't be City, United or Chelsea to sign them, it'd be the sides further down the table.

Be sad if one good season was all we get out of Lallana

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭beya2009

A bit biased but I really hope Salah wins pfa. To score the amount of goals he has from a wide position is outstanding. KDB has been class too but it's Salah for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

noodler wrote: »
    Be sad if one good season was all we get out of Lallana

Still hope we'll see him back to his best in time for late March onwards. And no reason why he cant be at full tilt next season too.
    His injury record isn't so awful that anyone should be writing him off, its just bloody frustrating this season, stuff happens.

But the midfield does need addressing. We're screaming out for Keita, you can see why the club pulled out all the stops to sign him, he's exactly what we need.

Still need another top CM with coming in him too.

Like, it's just all a bit ordinary in our CM. For me, Can hasn't done enough to make me too upset about him leaving, just a pity it's on a free but other than that...
    And Wijnaldum would do my head in. Not because he lacks talent, just because he goes from excellent to invisible depending on the day that's in it.

Milner was outstanding against Porto, but getting on a bit.
    And Henderson would be far from my favourite player but to be fair we play better with him than without him.
    He's probably our best CM which says something in itself, without wanting to be unkind to him.
    Ox is a bit hit and miss still imo too, but at times you can see him coming good.

Just important that we don't simply replace Can with Keita and leave it there.
    Another is needed too. Whomever it is, just hope its a priority in the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

beya2009 wrote: »
    A bit biased but I really hope Salah wins pfa. To score the amount of goals he has from a wide position is outstanding. KDB has been class too but it's Salah for me.

True enough... there's 3 players head and shoulders above the rest this season, in De Bruyne, Salah, and Kane.

Wouldn't begrudge any of them to be honest, but personally would put Salah just a hair above. In terms of their goal contributions (goals+assists), its
    Salah - 29
    Kane - 24
    KDB - 21

KDB contributes so much more than just goals in fairness though, but I think i'd still have Salah edge it, just from their contributions relative to the team around them. Reckon it'll be KDB's though, and I can't say its unfair either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Salah, Kane, De Bruyne all fairly close imo. De Gea for United makes such a massive difference for them too. Amazing talent.

De Bruyne is a shoe in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Keita tore a muscle in his right thigh and it is unclear how long he will be out for.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/naby-keita-rb-leipzig-liverpool-midfielder-injury-willi-orban-frankfurt473921.jsp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    True enough... there's 3 players head and shoulders above the rest this season, in De Bruyne, Salah, and Kane.

Its the UK. Kane to win. De Bruyne should be given it despite my loyalty to Salah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

100% Kane and probably deservedly so, I think he has the edge over Salah and has been very consistent over the last couple of seasons.

Arsenal 0 - that Swedish team 2!!!

3-2 on agg

Keita tore a muscle in his right thigh and it is unclear how long he will be out for.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/naby-keita-rb-leipzig-liverpool-midfielder-injury-willi-orban-frankfurt473921.jsp

Ah jaysus.

How does an injury affect a sale like this one? Surely it's built into the contract somewhere.

Aquilani has me scarred for life

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Ah jaysus.

How does an injury affect a sale like this one? Surely it's built into the contract somewhere.

Hopefully that's him done now for the season and it gives him 5 months to recover find a house and go on a nice holiday before pre season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Arsenal 0 - that Swedish team 2!!!

3-2 on agg

Christ... in London and all!

<edit> I see they've already pulled one back. Still, hell of an achievement even for Oestersunds to win a half 2-0.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Christ... in London and all!

<edit> I see they've already pulled one back. Still, hell of an achievement even for Oestersunds to win a half 2-0.

Far from over just yet. 2 and they through! Almost scored a minute ago. Arsenal are a shambles. Fascinating stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Ah jaysus.

Muscle tear doesn’t seem that serious. I’m sure he’ll be back for Leipzig this season.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

De Bruyne is a shoe in.

Yep, I will be amazed if he doesn't win. Voting takes place well before the end of the season too, so not much time left for anything exceptional to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

There was some stat about showing how Salah's goals were all more important.

Kane has scored alot of 3s and a 4.

For me he would be behind Salah and KDB but can't separate them two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,492 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What's our record back from mini vacations with Klopp? Feels like it's bad for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Love how the club is trying to make Salah feel at home :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Charlie19 wrote: »
    100% Kane and probably deservedly so, I think he has the edge over Salah and has been very consistent over the last couple of seasons.

Winning "penalties" will do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

What's our record back from mini vacations with Klopp? Feels like it's bad for some reason.

Always get the ride, he's a great wing man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If West ham start with Zabaleta and Evra as there full backs they could take a pasting from Mane and Mo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Wonder how Mo feels that he didnt win POTM this month

The Times are reporting that Spurs/Levy aren't prepared to give Alderweireld the pay rise he wants (From £50k to £150k)and are now prepared to sell him in the summer.

Dump Sturridge and that covers those wages.

I really hope we at least try for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Dumping Sturridge will just be paying his wages up front, surely?

The Times are reporting that Spurs/Levy aren't prepared to give Alderweireld the pay rise he wants (From £50k to £150k)and are now prepared to sell him in the summer.

No chance we get him, Barcalona and Real will be all over him , United and Chelsea also need a new CB,
    No chance he's coming here,

• Advertisement

Any time this season we have been on 2ppg (which we are now) it ha seemed like we suffered a setback and haven't got above that average. On that basis, I expect West Ham to get something from the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The more I watch of Keita the more I relish those evil little through-balls he plays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wonder how Mo feels that he didnt win POTM this month

He'll be as generous as a Pharaoh.

Fun Bobby a very worthy winner to be celebrated with a no look back heel hat-trick hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

No chance we get him, Barcalona and Real will be all over him , United and Chelsea also need a new CB,

I would've said the same about Van Dijk.

I'm not sure what Klopp is selling these guys but if he can get someone to choose us over City then who knows what's possible.

Maybe it's different if you're coming from Southampton, rather than basically already having experienced our level of play at Spurs, or maybe Van Dijk is a singular sort of person who believes in this project and that winning here would be another level of achievement, but whatever the reason is, if one guy can make that decision, then others can too.

There really are some players who are just non-runners - Neymar or whatever. But the level below that, we have to at least try for them.

Of course, we can't slaughter the management or the administrators of the club if they don't land them then.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Dumping Sturridge will just be paying his wages up front, surely?

He has one year left on his contract id let him go on a free no club is going to pay a transfer fee for him.

They might pick him up on a free and pay him that wage.

Spurs not being prepared to pay the going rate in wages for top class players say more to me.

Hopefully it leads to a player exodus from there.

Gbear wrote: »

I'm not sure what Klopp is selling these guys but if he can get someone to choose us over City then who knows what's possible.

Maybe it's different if you're coming from Southampton, rather than basically already having experienced our level of play at Spurs, or maybe Van Dijk is a singular sort of person who believes in this project and that winning here would be another level of achievement, but whatever the reason is, if one guy can make that decision, then others can too.

There really are some players who are just non-runners - Neymar or whatever. But the level below that, we have to at least try for them.

Of course, we can't slaughter the management or the administrators of the club if they don't land them then.
    I think the issue is Toby has already gone to a team on our level hoping to get them to the next level (like VVD )in Spurs  , and now he'll be looking to make the step to a team already there, I honestly see him going to Spain back to the other side of Madrid this team ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think the issue is Toby has already gone to a team on our level hoping to get them to the next level (like VVD )in Spurs  , and now he'll be looking to make the step to a team already there, I honestly see him going to Spain back to the other side of Madrid this team ,

Don't think that will happen. Real have Varane & Ramos.

I think all of the top 4 will fight for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,959 ✭✭✭✭banie01

A Levy inflated fee for Aderweireld plus the same wages, or De Vrij on a free for the same wages with a signing fee?

I'd lean towards De Vrij myself.

I remember Wenger making the point a few weeks ago when Sanchez was going to United and a reporter basically asked Wenger how frustrating it was that they can't compete with united financially and he said that's true "but we can still compete".

My point is competing probably not enough to win the big trophies. What chance do we have when Man City just have unlimited money to get who they want and same with man u. It could be argued chelsea did the same thing way back and fergie found a way but I would argue the league is far more competitive now. Man u resources not as bad as their the richest club no doubt but quatari owned man city and psg a different story...with their unlimited spending...no way they make enough profit through legit channels to justify their spending. Just makes a complete joke of FFP. I saw a list of top 10 highest paid psg players and it's staggering. PSG might get a fine for the neymar and mbappe transfers from uefa I would guess a 50m fine but uefa won't care where that money comes from lol

banie01 wrote: »
    A Levy inflated fee for Aderweireld plus the same wages, or De Vrij on a free for the same wages with a signing fee?

I'd lean towards De Vrij myself.

He has agreed terms with Inter by all accounts.

• Advertisement

Interesting what will happen with spurs top players. Danny Rose wants out (probably to man u) as spurs not willing to pay him what he wants. Looks the same with Alderweireld. They will break the bank and their wage structure for Harry Kane but how about if spurs don't make top 4 this season and real madrid come calling for kane...then what? lol Also spurs don't want a situation where top players just running down their contract if they don't get what their looking for.

Levy doesn't like selling to rivals so we would need to really overpay to get Alderweireld but he's exactly what we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

At this point, while another CB wouldn't do any harm, I certainly don't think it should be a priority.

I don't see us wanting to fork out 50m+ on one. Maybe we'd lean towards a younger guy who'd be seen as a long term project.
    We've got a great age profile at CB if nothing else - 28, 26, 26, 20, and then an experienced backup who's solid more often than not but could perhaps now be replaced in the squad, but kept around until his contract ends as an emergency.

If we're looking to make a statement, I doubt it'll be for who we sign at CB and, if Karius carries on as he has been, I wouldn't be surprised to see him given a full season to prove he has the wherewithal to be our number one.

We'll probably end up spend 100m+ on a couple more lads in midfield and attack, so I think that'll be where the main focus is.

Gbear wrote: »

I'm not sure what Klopp is selling these guys but if he can get someone to choose us over City then who knows what's possible..........

City didn't bid for Virgil iirc. They certainly didn't bid as much as we did to the extent that he had to choose which club to accept.

beya2009 wrote: »
    Interesting what will happen with spurs top players. Danny Rose wants out (probably to man u) as spurs not willing to pay him what he wants. Looks the same with Alderweireld. They will break the bank and their wage structure for Harry Kane but how about if spurs don't make top 4 this season and real madrid come calling for kane...then what? lol Also spurs don't want a situation where top players just running down their contract if they don't get what their looking for.

Levy doesn't like selling to rivals so we would need to really overpay to get Alderweireld but he's exactly what we need.

Lovren drops another clanger or Matip doesn't get his form back Ragnar was always just going to be a stop gap and Gomez has talent but still very unproven anywhere other than RB and hasn't been standout there either there will be a lot of shouting for a CB partner for VVD,

I do agree with some others now with the signing of VVD other area need strengthening first and foremost especially midfield but Alderweireld if available I'd like to see us at least try for him even for a bit of overpaying.

Wanyama wants out as well by all accounts now he is the player from Spurs I would like us to sign even with a bit of overpaying as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,959 ✭✭✭✭banie01

He has agreed terms with Inter by all accounts.

That puts it in a different light then!
    Throw the money at Levy!

banie01 wrote: »
    That puts it in a different light then!
    Throw the money at Levy!

Haha

De Vrij would be a very good signing on a free and I like to see the club try for a player like him as well.

Alderweireld has been the best CB in the PL for a few seasons now and has proven he can play in it.

He is also an ex Southampton player so there is that. as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Haha

De Vrij would be a very good signing on a free and I like to see the club try for a player like him as well.

Alderweireld has been the best CB in the PL for a few seasons now and has proven he can play in it.

He is also an ex Southampton player so there is that. as well.

When is Alderweiald's contract up? And would Spurs sell to us?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Unless he signs a new contract, then at the end of next season his contract I up. Spurs have the option of another 12 months, but that triggers a release clause of 25m. I believe that sums up the situation. Spurs may want to sell for more money before then, but I doubt it.

A £25m buyout clause gets activated in 2109.

Alderweireld wants a pay rise to £150k a week up from from the £50k he is on now to sign a new one with a bigger buyout clause in it.

Levy won't agree to that pay rise and by all accounts in the Times today and other places he is ready to let him go this summer and not lose him next year for £25m instead of paying him the wages.

My guess is Levy would want close to VVD money for him this summer but for the best CB in the PL I'd like to see the club pay it myself.

VVD and Alderweireld as the CB partnership for the next 3/4 seasons would hold us in good stead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Wanyama baby! Do it. DO IT! The man made Lovern look class before and at 26 he's got plenty of years ahead of him.

And he's ex-Southampton too!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement