Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd love to see Milner come of the bench in a meaningless competitive match that we have won well with 1/2 minutes left as the sub keeper.

Then he would have played in every position as pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

FitzShane wrote: »
    DW5LRn2XUAcmReZ.jpg:large

Another weekend down, and another weekend closer to matching our league ambition of getting into the top 4 and securing CL football for another season.

We still need 5 wins and 4 draws and I am still looking at our 5 remaining home games to pick up these wins. We then have to pick up 8 points from our remaining 5 away games.

5 home games are all winnable games and IMO, we have to be targeting 15 points from these.

Newcastle,
    Watford
    Bournemouth,
    Stoke,
    Brighton

The Bournemouth one comes after a CL 1/4 final, so we may see some rotation for this one.

The Stoke one  is at the very end of April, so they will no doubt be fighting for their lives. Hopefully they are relegated by then and have nothing to play for, or safe. Whichever is easiest!  :P

As for the aways, they are somebit tricker, but there are some fixtures in which we can pick up points.

United
    Palace
    Everton (sandwiched in between the CL 1/4 finals)
    West Brom
    Chelsea

So we have to pick up 8 points here and straight away the eyes will jump to United & Chelsea. But we are currently in a position where we are not needing to beat either. A draw at both grounds will suffice. If we can keep 4 points ahead of Chelsea before we go to the Bridge, we will get top 4. It's as simple (:D) as that.

United away, while it would be nice to beat them for a number of reasons - they are United and it's always great to beat them, we can overtake them and fight for 2nd place, add pressure to Jose, and also to further our grip on top 4 position. But a draw will do here. As long as we don't lose, and give Chelsea a lifeline.

WBA - these should be relegated by the time we play them and I really hammer these p-ricks cos of the 0-0 earlier in the league and the FA Cup game, which was our best hope of silverware this season.

Everton away - they will be up for this one big time, but they are terrible at the moment. Especially away, and they will set up as the away side in this one, but the fans won't like that and will get on Big Sam's back. They want him out and they will let it known that sitting back at home and parking the bus at home in the derby will not be good enough. We may see some rotation in this game also.

Palace will be tough ground to go to, but winnable.

2nd place is there for us to aim for. and if we miss out, well then top 4 is vital. We can do this.
    I'm a bit confused you say "We still need 5 wins and 4 draws and I am still looking at our 5 remaining home games to pick up these wins. We then have to pick up 8 points from our remaining 5 away games"  
    If we win out 5 home games and then only need 4 draws why would we need 8 points from the away games ?  4 draws is 4 points ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'm a bit confused you say "We still need 5 wins and 4 draws and I am still looking at our 5 remaining home games to pick up these wins. We then have to pick up 8 points from our remaining 5 away games"  
    If we win out 5 home games and then only need 4 draws why would we need 8 points from the away games ?  4 draws is 4 points ?

typo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

10 wins and we are guaranteed 2nd. Barring the United game the only really dodgy one sticking out is Palace away.

Klopp has got the team firing at the right time with his rotation earlier in the season. I couldn't look at one player and say he looks tired and stale. Massively impressed with Saturdays performance, we could of scored 10.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Bobby with the no-look signing

28379761_10156041468741132_4809161370406610686_n.png?oh=11a6762002edd38d17afa397c443035c&oe=5B190B10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I remember doing up a league table before in Excel and adding the fixtures so I could 'predict' the final table.

But I'd say just forget about that and take each game as it comes and enjoy the ride. This is the team that beat the rampant Man City, giving them their only loss in the league so far this season, and then lost to Swansea in the next game :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Here's hoping the stoke game is sandwiched in between 2 CL semi finals, so could be tricky

Wheety wrote: »
    I remember doing up a league table before in Excel and adding the fixtures so I could 'predict' the final table.

But I'd say just forget about that and take each game as it comes and enjoy the ride. This is the team that beat the rampant Man City, giving them their own loss in the league so far this season, and then lost to Swansea in the next game :D
    Its impossible to call yet ,
    People forget we have draw at home to Westbrom, Burnley, Everton ,away to Watford and got beat by Swansea, Anything can happen in the Prem ,
    We will drop points lose 2 and draw 2 in my opinion , but every one else will drop points two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

And to be honest I dont really care if we finish 2nd. I want top 4, maybe a CL semi final and keep banging in the goals.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Can is launching a range of suits with H&M in Germany!

• Advertisement

I advise some of ye to read this! It was written pre West-Ham on the perception of the 'Typical Liverpool' ye have just mentioned.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2018/02/typical-liverpool-liverpool-fc-psychology-fans/

Some of the best bits are:
    So how have the Reds done against the other 14 teams in the division? In 2015/16 Liverpool averaged 1.77 points per game. This rose to two per game last season, and Jurgen Klopp’s team have taken 2.32 points per match in 2017/18. The pessimism about these games should be waning, and yet in certain corners of the Liverpool fanbase, it seems as potent as ever.

Bear in mind that in 2016/17, when Liverpool were unbeaten in matches between the big six teams, they still earned ‘just’ two points per game. It was always going to be nigh on impossible to repeat this season, and so it has proved. Fans still think Liverpool do better in these matches, though.

Ah, but then the Reds lost at Swansea and only drew 0-0 at home with West Bromwich Albion in the league. The other big teams must be doing better than Liverpool against the dross, right?

Big-Six-vs-The-Bottom-Seven.png

Nope, Liverpool are a shade above average and even the seemingly unstoppable Manchester City haven’t got a flawless record in these matches. The Reds clearly take more points from these games, so the fans should want more of these matches, not fewer. Why do Liverpool fans dread such games so much?

Simply put, humans are programmed to remember bad things. As human beings evolved at a time when so many things could kill them, they grew to be wary of threats and terrified of things that were bad. It’s hard wired into every single one of us.

Which is why it’s not just small teams which terrify Liverpool fans, but also set pieces.

However, only five teams have conceded fewer set piece goals than the Reds in the Premier League this season, and the likes of Manchester United and Tottenham have let in more (albeit only by one).

Not all goals are equal, though, and you naturally remember the bad ones. With Liverpool, this perhaps applies more to set pieces than to any other type of goal.

Watford’s opener and last-gasp equaliser on the opening weekend? Corners. Tottenham going 3-1 up just before halftime at Wembley? Free-kick. Swansea’s winner? Corner again. Just because you remember bad goals, it doesn’t mean Liverpool have a horrendous record with dead ball situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Find it strange that Can wants out of this team. This side has huge potential and is looking like a very exciting project. My only reasoning would be that its financial. Frustrating as i genuinely like Emre Can has a player and feel he can push on to be a top quality midfielder. I think if he ends up in Serie A he will do very well as the slower pace will suit him.

I hope Klopp has an ace up his sleeve to replace him with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

FitzShane, stop obsessing over stats. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

ricero wrote: »
    Find it strange that Can wants out of this team. This side has huge potential and is looking like a very exciting project. My only reasoning would be that its financial. Frustrating as i genuinely like Emre Can has a player and feel he can push on to be a top quality midfielder. I think if he ends up in Serie A he will do very well as the slower pace will suit him.

Would imagine his mrs being italian has something to do with it more then money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Better chance to win a domestic trophy probably.

I can't see him going to Italy, Why would anyone his age leave a top four English side for Italy makes zero sense,
    Iv a feeling he is off else where, or maybe thinks after the world cup he will have more offers,
    I wouldn't;t be surprised if he ends up at City or Real

I get the feeling it the less physical league and the lifestyle off the pitch that is attracting him. He's big into his fashion so the streets of Turin would maybe be a bit better for that aspect of his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

From what I heard the club were prepared to match his wage demands, but his buyout clause would have to be relative e.g. if you want world class wages, then that comes with a buyout clause matching that status.
    Alternatively he could have a lower buyout clause with matching lower wages.
    Can however wants both a very good wage, and a fairly low buyout clause.

Wheety wrote: »
    FitzShane, stop obsessing over stats. :p

I work with big data, and find it interesting! Find them hard to ignore. A few years ago, QPR were looking for a person of my job role, experience etc to work with them. Thought it was the perfect way to get into football, but it never came to fruition, and QPR got relegated that season anyways so the job probably got binned.

Also, our recruiters use them a lot to find players such as Salah :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

These comments require photo evidence, I can't conclude whether she's worth it otherwise.
    FitzShane wrote: »
    I work with big data, and find it interesting! Find them hard to ignore. A few years ago, QPR were looking for a person of my job role, experience etc to work with them. Thought it was the perfect way to get into football, but it never came to fruition, and QPR got relegated that season anyways so the job probably got binned.

Also, our recruiters use them a lot to find players such as Salah :pac:

Bet QPR are using an ELK stack now amirite? #ITjokes4life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It was said at the start of the season that the main reason he hadn't signed a new contract was he wanted assurances of playing time and a release clause.

You'd imagine even with Keita signing Can would get plenty of games next season ........ he'll quite likely be remembered fondly anyway I expect :)

Scored some good goals for us and when on song is thoroughly decent as a CM.
    Our 3 man midfield is probably difficult to play in really and we (most definitely I anyway) are prone to forgetting that.

With Can however there's always the impression that he's as good as he's ever been at times but should be that good more often maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

That's French. It's a French word

Bouffer is a french slang verb for eating.

Buffet is also derived from french but is the other thing.

I don't know whether they both share the same etymological roots but it seems plausible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Juis suis un rock star

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Italy is hardly China is it! :pac: Juve are still massive and the league as a whole is slowly recovering after the sh!t hit the fan. Wouldn't hold it against him at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I get the feeling it the less physical league and the lifestyle off the pitch that is attracting him. He's big into his fashion so the streets of Turin would maybe be a bit better for that aspect of his life.

Can't be that big into fashion if he's releasing suits in H&M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Gbear wrote: »
    Bouffer is a french slang verb for eating.

Buffet is also derived from french but is the other thing.

I don't know whether they both share the same etymological roots but it seems plausible.

Cool.
    I just spelt it totally wrong , which is more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

salah has some record this season , 31 goals and 11 assists in all competitions got to be bargain of the season

Our front three at this rate could finish the season with 40, 30 & 20 goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Really hope the matches go ahead at the weekend, we want that win on the board and hopefully a Chelsea defeat too. Be nice to have that 7 point buffer before the Utd game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

28335863_570153453343625_4305234665980703203_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=d4434370d5a693e930b2c0962ca56fc1&oe=5B0E6C3C

Even if this is a lie/blatant exaggeration I'm posting it anyway...

I'm far too lazy to look at their stats...

Buy Reus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Sanchez has been septic since they signed him too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Is it actually true she's Italian, Google searched her & there's very little, born in 93 & speaks fluent German & English went to school in Berlin dating since 2013, mystery woman Maria Cataleya, Italian sounding name?

Can’s girlfriend is German.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭beya2009

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It was said at the start of the season that the main reason he hadn't signed a new contract was he wanted assurances of playing time and a release clause.

I wonder if this is similar to the Fellaini situation where he's stalling on the contract when a good offer is on the table. With Can he's a good player and at just 24 you would think Klopp can continue to improve him but I don't think he's good enough to be making any demands. The Italian league has really gone downhill over the years that's for sure.

Sanchez has been septic since they signed him too

A player that joined Arsenal for money, but said it was because he wanted to live in London, then joins United for money and has no problem living up north. Of course he is going to be septic, job done in his eyes.
    He is blatantly a gold digger and proud. Here is a guy who laughs at his own teams mates while they are losing a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

In his defence he only went to Manchester to reunite with Guardiola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

beya2009 wrote: »
    I wonder if this is similar to the Fellaini situation where he's stalling on the contract when a good offer is on the table.

Maybe he just fancies a change of scenery, he's 24 and I bet he wouldn't mind spending a few years in Italy or Spain rather than North East England.

If it's just about money however his agent is playing a blinder. Whatever is on the table contract wise for him now will only increase in the summer and at stage LFC will just be one of several clubs making offers to him and his agent will play them off against each other to get the best deal possible. That after all is why Can employs him.
    With Can he's a good player and at just 24 you would think Klopp can continue to improve him but I don't think he's good enough to be making any demands.

All players make demands in their contract negotiations from wages to bonuses to image rights to where they'll be played etc etc You don't have to be at any particular standard to make demands, you just need to be confident that if you can't get what you want at club A that your agent will secure what you want with club B!!
    The Italian league has really gone downhill over the years that's for sure.

It's not as good as it was relative to Spain and England that's for sure but it's still a top league and it's clubs still go deep in the CL etc. No one will qualify that the Sudetta Can wins with Juventus was during a down spell for the league 10 years after he retires will they?

From Can's perspective moving to Juventus may enable him to:-

1. Earn more money.
    2. Play more games.
    3. Win more trophies.
    4. Have a better lifestyle.

I'm sure that'd help him get over the disappointment of no more hugs from Herr Klopp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

131217db-002f-471b-8c05-c3093314d07f.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

A player that joined Arsenal for money, but said it was because he wanted to live in London, then joins United for money and has no problem living up north. Of course he is going to be septic, job done in his eyes.
    He is blatantly a gold digger and proud. Here is a guy who laughs at his own teams mates while they are losing a match.

I must have been watching a different Sanchez at arsenal for the last four seasons or whatever it was.

Even last season he nearly won the golden boot.

Also, a ****ing contextless smile/laugh? I've had a few ironic laughs in a football match before just so you know. It doesn't define you or make you evil.

Him dragging arsenal by the scruff the last three seasons is a better reflection of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Really hope the matches go ahead at the weekend, we want that win on the board and hopefully a Chelsea defeat too. Be nice to have that 7 point buffer before the Utd game.

Bouffer

noodler wrote: »
    I must have been watching a different Sanchez at arsenal for the last four seasons or whatever it was.

Even last season he nearly won the golden boot.

Also, a ****ing contextless smile/laugh? I've had a few ironic laughs in a football match before just so you know. It doesn't define you or make you evil.

Him dragging arsenal by the scruff the last three seasons is a better reflection of him.

He was only good when it suited him. He threw his teddy multiple times during his time at Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

He was only good when it suited him. He threw his teddy multiple times during his time at Arsenal.

You are really are talking through your hoop.

He was frustrated at Arsenal by the poor players around him and the football being played.

The laughing you are mocking him for was him laughing ironically at the poor situation. Ridiculous that people interpreted it as him laughing at his team mates.

I'm sure you would not have been complaining if he had joined Liverpool last month instead of Utd.

Just seen this. Seems mad. Not sure if true?
    Klopp spent €240m sold €260m
    Net spend -€20m

Mourinho spent €300m sold €60m
    Net spend €240m

Guardiola spent €470m sold €60m
    Net spend €410m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Seems to have a very pro United spin on it.

Edit: Transfermarket has their spending at over 300 million pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Just seen this. Seems mad. Not sure if true?

Would make sense tho, Klopp inherited a lot of absolute ****e!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Maybe he just fancies a change of scenery, he's 24 and I bet he wouldn't mind spending a few years in Italy or Spain rather than North East England.

If it's just about money however his agent is playing a blinder. Whatever is on the table contract wise for him now will only increase in the summer and at stage LFC will just be one of several clubs making offers to him and his agent will play them off against each other to get the best deal possible. That after all is why Can employs him.

All players make demands in their contract negotiations from wages to bonuses to image rights to where they'll be played etc etc You don't have to be at any particular standard to make demands, you just need to be confident that if you can't get what you want at club A that your agent will secure what you want with club B!!

It's not as good as it was relative to Spain and England that's for sure but it's still a top league and it's clubs still go deep in the CL etc. No one will qualify that the Sudetta Can wins with Juventus was during a down spell for the league 10 years after he retires will they?

From Can's perspective moving to Juventus may enable him to:-

1. Earn more money.
    2. Play more games.
    3. Win more trophies.
    4. Have a better lifestyle.

I'm sure that'd help him get over the disappointment of no more hugs from Herr Klopp.

Have I missed something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Have I missed something?

He commutes from Middlesbrough, couldn't afford Merseyside on his paupers wage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement