Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Hope to Christ there's no disruptions to flights on sat morn for the match,any weather geeks like to put my mind at ease

Sat currently looking to be above zero & raining :)
    Weather geeks all seem to be hoping for a snowstorm so I'd not pay much heed to mist if them TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Hope to Christ there's no disruptions to flights on sat morn for the match,any weather geeks like to put my mind at ease

Your f**ked. UK is getting it bad already with it to be worse today and tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

All the pitches are protected and have undersoil heating. Game will go ahead.

Regarding flights, the thing you have to worry about is ice and frankly, it wont be cold enough and snow for long enough for that to be an issue. You'll be grand.

Kirby wrote: »
    All the pitches are protected and have undersoil heating. Game will go ahead.

Regarding flights, the thing you have to worry about is ice and frankly, it wont be cold enough and snow for long enough for that to be an issue. You'll be grand.

If the areas around stadiums are dangerous then the games will be cancelled.

Kent has declared an emergency it's that bad there so the south east coast have it bad now.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    If the areas around stadiums are dangerous then the games will be cancelled.

Kent has declared an emergency it's that bad there so the south east coast have it bad now.

Didnt that happen a couple of seasons ago with massive backlash? Basically, it was slippy outside the stadium. Public transport was still running and the pitch was perfect.

I can't see that happening again.

Didnt that happen a couple of seasons ago with massive backlash? Basically, it was slippy outside the stadium. Public transport was still running and the pitch was perfect.

I can't see that happening again.

It did happen but if the club's get advise from the Police and City councils that the areas are unsafe they will have to postpone them. I hope they don't but there is a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It did happen but if the club's get advise from the Police and City councils that the areas are unsafe they will have to postpone them. I hope they don't but there is a chance.

Wasn't there a massive snow storm in the North West in December for the 2 derby games. The clubs and councils knew about it in advance and so we were able to put provisions in place to ensure the games went ahead - gritted roads etc. Only thing that will stop it going ahead is a foot of snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Win on Saturday vs Newcastle we will be in a great position.

Hopefully City beat Chelsea sunday too.

Klopp not going to rest too many vs Porto https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jurgen-klopp-insists-not-rest-14341088

I would play a strongest back 4 & midfield but rest the front 3.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Klopp not going to rest too many vs Porto https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jurgen-klopp-insists-not-rest-14341088

Because he does not want players like Lallana, Ox, Gini etc think that they are 'second string' players. He says he is playing a strong side, and when the players read the team sheet, they will believe that they are part of the strong side. He will start Can, Gini, Lallana, Mane, Solanke, Ox I reckon. Save the legs in Hendo, Milner, Firmino, Salah for United.

It's the same as the Karius thing. Of course LFC are going to tell lads that we are not in for a goalkeeper this summer and won't be buying Allison. What sort of madness would it be to go around telling the world that we want to buy a keeper. Let alone the increased price but the most damaging thing that will happen is that Karius knows that we want someone else and his performance levels dip as he will know that no matter how good he is, we are buying someone else.

We have to fill the players with confidence for the rest of the season, in order to finish as strong as possible. Momentum is everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Heading over for Porto on Monday. I'm hoping the game will go ahead as its UEFA. Kinda worried about the flights if things do get bad but hopefully ferries will still be running as back up

Mr.H wrote: »
    Heading over for Porto on Monday. I'm hoping the game will go ahead as its UEFA. Kinda worried about the flights if things do get bad but hopefully ferries will still be running as back up

Sun, Mon & Tues forecast is that it'll be above freezing in Liverpool. Last of snow expected to be Sat.

Tiny to zero chance your trip is at risk IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

noodler wrote: »
    A player that joined Arsenal for money, but said it was because he wanted to live in London, then joins United for money and has no problem living up north. Of course he is going to be septic, job done in his eyes.
    He is blatantly a gold digger and proud. Here is a guy who laughs at his own teams mates while they are losing a match.

I must have been watching a different Sanchez at arsenal for the last four seasons or whatever it was.

Even last season he nearly won the golden boot.

Also, a ****ing contextless smile/laugh? I've had a few ironic laughs in a football match before just so you know. It doesn't define you or make you evil.

Him dragging arsenal by the scruff the last three seasons is a better reflection of him.
    Every one is missing the big difference between Alexis at United and Arsenal, at Arsenal his one really stand out season he was a 9 , He will never play there for United,
    Plus he works really hard but chases the ball, he does not track the same players for 90 minutes, This will seriously get on Jose t*ts, he has little or no discipline ,He is best when he's allowed do what he likes,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

FitzShane wrote: »
    MD1990 wrote: »
    Klopp not going to rest  too many vs Porto https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jurgen-klopp-insists-not-rest-14341088

Because he does not want players like Lallana, Ox, Gini etc think that they are 'second string' players. He says he is playing a strong side, and when the players read the team sheet, they will believe that they are part of the strong side. He will start Can, Gini, Lallana, Mane, Solanke, Ox I reckon. Save the legs in Hendo, Milner, Firmino, Salah for United.

It's the same as the Karius thing. Of course LFC are going to tell lads that we are not in for a goalkeeper this summer and won't be buying Allison. What sort of madness would it be to go around telling the world that we want to buy a keeper. Let alone the increased price but the most damaging thing that will happen is that Karius knows that we want someone else and his performance levels dip as he will know that no matter how good he is, we are buying someone else.

We have to fill the players with confidence for the rest of the season, in order to finish as strong as possible. Momentum is everything.
    I think this is spot on, he will say im not resting anyone as my whole squad is the same level , while resting Salah and Mane :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Augeo wrote: »
    Sat currently looking to be above zero & raining :)
    Weather geeks all seem to be hoping for a snowstorm so I'd not pay much heed to mist if them TBH.

Weather forum

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057844792

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

3990 posts in 4 days, dem Weather forum boardsies are off the chain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

tea and croissant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

corwill wrote: »

That'd give Coulson a run for his money.

latest?cb=20160615174445

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Who say Boards is dying a slow death with that kind of posting rate. :pac:

yeah, most of them seem to be hoping for a snowstorm so I'd not pay much heed to them TBH ........ once 1947 esque snow was mentioned they all got a bit carried away IMO

The snow storm will be as eventful as Utd away in the CL :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

2 feet of snow be great craic.

That'd give Coulson a run for his money.

latest?cb=20160615174445

ZJycGzw.gif

ZJycGzw.gif

I like that one actually :)
    You on the left or the right? :D

I like that one actually :)
    You on the left or the right? :D

Whichever one gets you finished, you go with it, kid!

Whichever one gets you finished.........

Gets me finished? I'm not at all sure what you mean truth be told :)
    Please do elaborate.

......you go with it, kid! .

Ah, one of my favourites, be careful, folks around here claim that frightens them ;) Word to the wise and all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Less of the petty snip’s at each other and more discussion please

Tim Sherwood today states Liverpool are the team closest to Man City and just a keeper short

You'd have to agree with him from a first 11 point of view when we are on song. Bench isn't great attacking wise though and Coutinho a loss of course in that regard from front 3 depth.

You'd have to agree with him from a first 11 point of view when we are on song. Bench isn't great attacking wise though and Coutinho a loss of course in that regard from front 3 depth.

Any team with Jordan Henderson as captain and starter, can do with improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Every team needs a hendo type player. Kante/Wanyama/Matic/Fernandinho ... they do range in quality though. Hard to find the next Kante to be fair. Rest of the team needs to be good but always have 2-3 quality players. Chelsea won a league with Costa/Hazard and Leicester with Vardy/Mahrez ...

• Advertisement

Finishing 4th is now guaranteed to go straight into the group stages of the CL no more play offs.

Top 4 in England, Spain Germany & Italy go in to groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭finno

Finishing 4th is now guaranteed to go straight into the group stages of the CL no more play offs.

And if Arsenal win the Europa league they will take the place of the
    team (UTD :p ) that finished 4TH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Nonsense throwaway comment. Will gladly see him captain us and start for us in rotation with existing or new midfielders for a few years to come.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

shamrock55 wrote: »

The UK side should be fine if it keeps going at the rate it is here now...

Getting out of Dublin or Cork might be a bigger problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

finno wrote: »

Is this new this year?

Adding Jorginho or Wanyama as the sitting midfielder beside Keita our midfield suddenly improves so much.

Such a pity Can won't the the third player with them but add Ox or Wijnaldum depending on the game and we are looking very strong there.

A real holding player also helps to improve and already improving defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Im not sure is it just rose-tinted glasses but I don't think there is the same quality of midfielders around at the moment as there was 10-15 years ago.

Arsenal, Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea all had a claim for world class midfields in the mid 2000's. Now there's questions over all of them.
    At the same time, Real and Barca were both quite strong, with Zidane, Guti, Beckham and the likes, while Barca were just getting into the Xavi era in earnest.
    Italy was still strong back then, with Cambiasso, Kaka, Seedorf and the likes still peppering the sides.

I think people are looking at Hendo and they're comparing him to Alonso, when they should be comparing him to his contemporaries.

Also, the fact that he's a bit of jack of all trades means he looks bad as a battler or dribbler compared to say Dembele, but then he has better discipline and a better range of passing.

There's value in flexibility.

You need raw quality as well, so hopefully Keita and another AM will bring that, but Hendo is still probably going to be in the side whenever possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Is this new this year?

According to Wiki it's been relevant since 2015-16. If the winner of the Champions League or UEFA Euro League win they go into the Champions League and the team that finishes 4th in the Premier League drops to the Euro League.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_clubs_in_international_competitions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Is this for sure, I thought I read somewhere it doesn't kick in till next season

Okay it's true

UEFA have confirmed a restructure to the Champions League - including changing the kick-off times and guaranteed entry to the group stages.

Liverpool's fourth-placed finish in last season's Premier League meant they had to navigate a play-off in August - against Hoffenheim - to qualify for the competition proper.

But under new rules sanctioned today ahead of the 2018/19 season, the top four from England - as well as Spain, Italy and Germany - will gain direct qualification into the group stages.

The tournament will also now have two new kick-off times, with the traditional 7.45pm kick off being replaced by 5.55pm and 8pm.

The news comes as a boost to the Reds, who will no longer have to face a play-off in order to gain entry into the group stages regardless of where they finish in the top four.

Winning the Champions League - or Europa League - will also guarantee entry into the last 32.

However, if two teams who finish outside England's top four win those competitions, then the fourth-placed team would drop into the Europa League.

There will now be 26 teams automatically qualified.
    For 2018/19 they will be...
    UEFA Champions League holders (1)
    UEFA Europa League holders (1)
    Top four from associations ranked 1st to 4th: Spain, Germany, England, Italy (16)
    Top two from associations ranked 5th and 6th: France, Russia (4)
    Champions of associations ranked 7th to 10th: Portugal, Ukraine, Belgium, Turkey (4)

There will also be six other qualifiers - four champions of their domestic league, two 'non-champions' - to make up the group stages.

The teams who finish fifth and sixth in the Premier League are also guaranteed a spot in the Europa League group stages.

The 2019 Champions League final will be played in Madrid, Spain, on June 1.

Liverpool currently sit third in the league and are considered one of the favourites to finish in the top four, and also lead Porto 5-0 in their last 16 tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

gimli2112 wrote: »
    According to Wiki it's been relevant since 2015-16. If the winner of the Champions League or UEFA Euro League win they go into the Champions League and the team that finishes 4th in the Premier League drops to the Euro League.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_clubs_in_international_competitions

Thats only relevant if both teams who win the Champions League and the Europa League finish outside the top four, then the fourth place team miss out.

E.g If Chelsea win the CL and finish fifth and Arsenal win the Europa League and finish sixth then the fourth place team would miss out. Basically a max of 5 teams from one country can be in CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Uefa Champions League changes from 2018 season
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105273030&postcount=707

• Advertisement

garra wrote: »
    Nonsense throwaway comment. Will gladly see him captain us and start for us in rotation with existing or new midfielders for a few years to come.

You can throw it anywhere you like. :p It's still the truth. And the fact that you find it okay for your captain to "rotate" tells me you arent quite as confident in him as you are letting on.

Every team needs a hendo type player. Kante/Wanyama/Matic/Fernandinho ... they do range in quality though. Hard to find the next Kante to be fair. Rest of the team needs to be good but always have 2-3 quality players. Chelsea won a league with Costa/Hazard and Leicester with Vardy/Mahrez ...

Every player you listed there are far superior to Henderson. He wouldn't get within an arses roar of any of the other top 6 teams. Gerrard was recently asked who he would take from the Spurs team for Liverpool. He said Wanyama. There is a reason. Its what Liverpool could use and Henderson is certainly not it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭finno

Is this new this year?

Think so, Utd won it last year and 5 English teams went through to the champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Adding Jorginho or Wanyama as the sitting midfielder beside Keita our midfield suddenly improves so much.

Such a pity Can won't the the third player with them but add Ox or Wijnaldum depending on the game and we are looking very strong there.

A real holding player also helps to improve and already improving defence.

Doubt it will be Wanyama anyway. Not great on the ball. Slow to release it. Just don't see him as being a Klopp type player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

FFS, it is worth also mentioning that AFCON is now a summer tournament!? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

You can throw it anywhere you like. :p It's still the truth. And the fact that you find it okay for your captain to "rotate" tells me you arent quite as confident in him as you are letting on.

Nah its fake news - I throw it in the trash can!

Klopp is digging rotation this term. The team performances are fresher this February than last. I'm digging our club captain rotating, get on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

We're all getting fairly used to the abandonment of the first-name-on-team-sheet-traditional-captain deal for this team now, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

finno wrote: »

ONLY if an English team also wins the CL and finishes outside the top 4 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

FFS, it is worth also mentioning that AFCON is now a summer tournament!? :p

Too right, the move of AFCON to the summer is very important for us. Losing Mane, Salah and Keita for up to a month during the season would be a killer

A few fixtures changes for us announced, meaning that every fixture (up until the last game of the season will be on TV)

March

Sat 3rd 17:30 Newcastle United H -BT
    Tue 6th 19:45 - Porto (TV3/BT)
    Sat 10th 12:30 Manchester United A - Sky
    Sat 17th 17:30 Watford H - BT
    Sat 31st 12:30 Crystal Palace A - Sky

April 2018

CL game - TBC
    Sun 8th 14:15 Everton A - Sky (moved today)
    CL game - TBC
    Sat 14th 17:30 Bournemouth H - BT (moved today)
    Sun 22nd 14:15 West Brom A - Sky (moved today)
    Sat 28th 12:30 Stoke City H - Sky (moved today)

May 2018

Sat 5th 15:00 Chelsea A - will be moved for TV
    Sun 13th 15:00 Brighton and Hove Albion H -
    Sat 26th - CL final - TBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I'm going over for the stoke game i see its still marked as subject to change how would our possible CL semi-final affect that , if we play tues/weds either side where would they move it to

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement