Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭finno

Wheety wrote: »
    ONLY if an English team also wins the CL and finishes outside the top 4 too.

don't think so i could be wrong
    from twitter

if Arsenal were to win the Europa League, they’d take the fourth Champions League spot, thus eliminating the fourth placed team from the competition.

Similarly, if Chelsea won the Champions League and finished fifth, the fourth placed team would be demoted to the Europa League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

finno wrote: »
    don't think so i could be wrong
    from twitter

if Arsenal were to win the Europa League, they’d take the fourth Champions League spot, thus eliminating the fourth placed team from the competition.

Similarly, if Chelsea won the Champions League and finished fifth, the fourth placed team would be demoted to the Europa League.

It would only happen if both Chelsea and Arsenal win the 4th place would then lose out.

There can be a max of 5 teams from one country seen Spain last season and England this season.

There is group spots for winners of this years winners of the champions league and the winners of the Europa league

mightyreds wrote: »
    I'm going over for the stoke game i see its still marked as subject to change how would our possible CL semi-final affect that , if we play tues/weds either side where would they move it to

All depends if Liverpool are in the Champions league and play on the Tuesday it will remain on the Saturday

If Liverpool are playing on the Wednesday and either Manchester team is playing on the Tuesday those games will be swapped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

garra wrote: »
    Nah its fake news - I throw it in the trash can!

Klopp is digging rotation this term. The team performances are fresher this February than last. I'm digging our club captain rotating, get on board.

Causation an issue?

We had a poor January again.

Was out Feb last season that bad? Only remember the jan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Going to the Brighton game at least I know that won't be changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

FitzShane wrote: »
    A few fixtures changes for us announced, meaning that every fixture (up until the last game of the season will be on TV)

April 2018

Sat 14th 17:30 Bournemouth H - BT (moved today)

Surprised at this one - same day as Grand National & about the same time I think ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Nah its fake news - I throw it in the trash can!

Klopp is digging rotation this term. The team performances are fresher this February than last. I'm digging our club captain rotating, get on board.

Rotation? Is that a euphemism for dropped? :P Klopp knows Henderson isn't good enough at this stage. It's why hes not started him in several big games. He'll find himself "rotated" to the bench more and more as better players are signed.

Surprised at this one - same day as Grand National & about the same time I think ??

Can't play on Sunday but having it at 5:30 with the national at 5:15 is a bit strange, i thought it would have been the Monday night game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

noodler wrote: »

What January were you watching?

Won 3 of 4 league games, beat Everton in the cup (then lost to West Bromwich) .

Scored 13 and conceded 9.

I wouldn't say that's bad, especially the league results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Can't play on Sunday but having it at 5:30 with the national at 5:15 is a bit strange, i thought it would have been the Monday night game

yeah, can't play on the Sunday, and West Ham-Stoke game is on the Monday. I'm not sure if those teams have to play on the Monday or not? Could be something got to do with BT having their allocation of top team games.

But yeah it is weird timing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

noodler wrote: »
    Causation an issue?

Was out Feb last season that bad? Only remember the jan

League: Won 3 Lost 1
    Cups: Won 1 Lost 1

League: Won 0 Lost 1 Drew 3
    Cups: Won 2 Drew 1 Lost 2 - Needed a replay to be Plymouth and lost AET against Southampton

I think the loss of Coutinho coloured the month a bit. And that it was Swansea we lost to.
    There's no question that we were far better this January though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Reddit - Coutinho 20/20 thread this season with Couts 1.7 PPG without Couts 2.35 PPG.

Kirby wrote: »
    Rotation? Is that a euphemism for dropped? :P Klopp knows Henderson isn't good enough at this stage. It's why hes not started him in several big games. He'll find himself "rotated" to the bench more and more as better players are signed.

He's brought him in for the biggest games.
    In: Spurs, Porto, Huddersfield (his first game back).
    Out: WBA (LC), Southampton, West Ham

You'll likely be left disappointed again when Klopp brings Hendo back in for Utd.

He's quite clearly managing his fitness. I can't say I understand the desire to **** on our captain by making up a narrative about the manager not rating him when he's without much doubt the midfielder he trusts the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Henderson is our best midfielder

Reddit - Coutinho 20/20 thread this season with Couts 1.7 PPG without Couts 2.35 PPG.

Those kinds of stats are worthless really.

We don't know what kind of form the squad was in, who we played against, who else was injured at the time, etc, etc.

You need games in the 100s before you can average out all the confounding factors you might find in rate of won matches.

Wasn't there some stat that Gerrard in the team left us with fewer points at one stage?
    I'd imagine most people would think you would've needed your head examined if you suggested we got rid of him at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Can i throw my hat into the Hendo is our best midfielder camp please, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well as its a 50/50 split we can be sure both versions of the squad have played a representative spread of opposition and the squad itself has been fairly stable in terms of injury - Clyne still not back, Lallana only playing cameos. There are two important differences of course - Mig out and Moreno out. That could explain a large part of the difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

All depends if Liverpool are in the Champions league and play on the Tuesday it will remain on the Saturday

If Liverpool are playing on the Wednesday and either Manchester team is playing on the Tuesday those games will be swapped

Damn never thought of the Manchester games was just about to book my flight home think I'll hold on so

If Henderson is our best midfielder it really does show how shockingly weak/bad our midfield is.

The only midfielder who is guaranteed an international starting place for their Country game in game out is Wijnaldum and that is the worst Dutch team in 50 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

On the contrary Kirby, Klopp knows that a fit & fresh Hendo is currently a nailed on starter in his midfield 3 for vital games. Your negativity about our captain is mutinous, unfounded and unsupported by your supposed knowledge of the manager's outlook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

FitzShane wrote: »
    A few fixtures changes for us announced, meaning that every fixture (up until the last game of the season will be on TV)

March

Sat 3rd 17:30 Newcastle United H -BT
    Tue 6th 19:45 - Porto (TV3/BT)
    Sat 10th 12:30 Manchester United A - Sky
    Sat 17th 17:30 Watford H - BT
    Sat 31st 12:30 Crystal Palace A - Sky

April 2018

CL game - TBC
    Sun 8th 14:15 Everton A - Sky (moved today)
    CL game - TBC
    Sat 14th 17:30 Bournemouth H - BT (moved today)
    Sun 22nd 14:15 West Brom A - Sky (moved today)
    Sat 28th 12:30 Stoke City H - Sky (moved today)

May 2018

Sat 5th 15:00 Chelsea A - will be moved for TV
    Sun 13th 15:00 Brighton and Hove Albion H -
    Sat 26th - CL final - TBC

TV3 are hardly showing us ahead of PSG Madrid next Tuesday are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

On the contrary Kirby, Klopp knows that a fit & fresh Hendo is currently a nailed on starter in his midfield 3 for vital games. Your negativity about our captain is mutinous, unfounded and unsupported by your supposed knowledge of the manager's outlook.

I don't support Liverpool. Even if I did, "mutinous" is a ridiculous charge to levy at somebody who disagrees with you.

He's a sunderland level player who got the good fortune to be bought by a bigger club. His talent doesn't warrant it. It's that simple. When midfielders are brought in to replace him, he'll lose his place permanently and rightfully so. The only reason he keeps getting picked occassionally is injuries/lack of depth in that area.

Gbear wrote: »
    He's brought him in for the biggest games.
    In: Spurs, Porto, Huddersfield (his first game back).
    Out: WBA (LC), Southampton, West Ham

You'll likely be left disappointed again when Klopp brings Hendo back in for Utd.

He's quite clearly managing his fitness. I can't say I understand the desire to **** on our captain by making up a narrative about the manager not rating him when he's without much doubt the midfielder he trusts the most.

He also left him out for several champions league games. Are they suddenly not important too?

There is no "narrative" here. You clearly think hes a good player. I don't. I'm not alone in that, despite what 3 or 4 people in this thread might desperately want to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Who needs a midfield when you have Robertson and TAA at fullback. Oh yeah and those there lads up front.

He also left him out for several champions league games. Are they suddenly not important too?

There is no "narrative" here. You clearly think hes a good player. I don't. I'm not alone in that, despite what 3 or 4 people in this thread might desperately want to believe.

Are they important? When you can win 10-0 on aggregate, no not really.
    The 1st one was between Spurs and Utd, both of which he started in.
    The 2nd was against the team we just beat 7-0 except it was at home.
    He was also left out of the Spartak home game (again, 7-0... hmm, maybe he just tactically wins 7-0 by leaving him out?)

What I think is immaterial.
    The narrative is that you're trying to claim that Klopp doesn't rate him, and that is obviously bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

TitianGerm wrote: »
    What January were you watching?

Won 3 of 4 league games, beat Everton in the cup (then lost to West Bromwich) .

Scored 13 and conceded 9.

I wouldn't say that's bad, especially the league results.

Two awful results.

Swansea loss and a home exit to WBA in the FA cup.

I accept it was better than last season though.

I'm being coloured by those two awful results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

We weren't the only ones to get caught out by Swansea's bounce. It happens. West Brom on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

I don't support Liverpool. Even if I did, "mutinous" is a ridiculous charge to levy at somebody who disagrees with you.

He's a sunderland level player who got the good fortune to be bought by a bigger club. His talent doesn't warrant it. It's that simple. When midfielders are brought in to replace him, he'll lose his place permanently and rightfully so. The only reason he keeps getting picked occassionally is injuries/lack of depth in that area.

Ah. I see where the issue lies, and it's even more simple. The charge of mutiny is duly withdrawn and replaced with that of "pig ignorance".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

He's a sunderland level player who got the good fortune to be bought by a bigger club.

What do mean by "A Sunderland level player"? As in 24th in Championship level player or the Sunderland scraping for results in the EPL when we bought him?

He'd walk into any team not in the top 6 in the EPL fairly easily IMO.....

NukaCola wrote: »
    What do mean by "A Sunderland level player"? As in 24th in Championship level player or the Sunderland scraping for results in the EPL when we bought him?

He'd walk into any team not in the top 6 in the EPL fairly easily IMO.....

He'd be starting for anyone in the league bar City and Spurs (although even then it'd be a toss up depending on form, fitness and opponent).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

It’s annoying when you’re forced to accidentally read posts via others quoting them by halfwits you blocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Gbear wrote: »
    He'd be starting for anyone in the league bar City and Spurs (although even then it'd be a toss up depending on form, fitness and opponent).

I excluded the top 6 for the sake of argument tbh.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

robwen wrote: »

Don't like the shanks quote being painted on the wall. The sign itself is more than enough for it's purpose.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Are there posts missing? The snow breaking boards?

5starpool wrote: »
    Are there posts missing? The snow breaking boards?

That a new phrase for a DoS attack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Think the ‘weather geeks’ have attracted more than 50 visitors and boards can’t handle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've given Hendo heaps of stick here, but in his last few games he has been outstanding.
    If he can continue with that level of football along with staying fit, he is exactly what is needed as a midfielder in our team and system.

Would he fit in at Utd, no he wouldn't, different type of football there. They can't even fit Pogba into their style of play.
    Chelsea - yeah, I can see him slotting in ahead of Drinkwater, that lad from Everton and even Fabergas to an extend given that he is way off form lately.
    Spurs - Not really, they have their holding mid, and then Dembele which play a unique type of football through the middle, it'd never work.
    City - No, Fernadinho is too good.
    Arsenal - they would love a player like him at the moment.

That's all based on his current form though. So he would be an instant upgrade for 2 or 3 of our rivals.

mightyreds wrote: »
    Damn never thought of the Manchester games was just about to book my flight home think I'll hold on so

Now what could be a sticking point is if Liverpool draw one of the Manchester teams if they are still in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

There's a lad who lives in an apartment across the way from mine, and he spends hours on his balcony, with a cup and ball, endlessly trying to get the ball into the cup.

Over the past two years of watching him from time to time, I've noticed that he's started adding in some tricks. He tries to spin the cup in the air, catch it, and then locate the ball. Albeit with awfully limited success. He has even gone further, despite not mastering the previous bit, and tried to spin the cup, bounce it off his elbow, catch it, then catch the ball. Again, we're looking at a staggering fail rate.

This morning, he is camped outside on his balcony with the snow falling around him. Ciggy in mouth, skiing jacket on, and a look of grim determination on his face as his frozen hands grip onto the wooden cup and ball.

I'm getting a blanket, lying on the couch, and watching this for the next while. I think it's going to be a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Anyone else kinda get p*ssed off a bit watching those tunnel videos? The players arrive in a bus under the stadium with only a few fans cordoned off behind barriers. A select few will stop for autographs or photos. Same in the tunnel when they're running out for the pre match warm up, kids with programmes hanging over the tunnel in the hope they'll be signed - and not one player stops. The fans are ignored for the most part, some players might give a high five but most dont give give them a second glance. Would it really be so bad to take 2 minutes out and sign a few bits and pieces? I know its not a lot to be giving out about but its sad to see that in the modern game. Oh to be back in the day when players drove up in their own cars and were swarmed before they got into/out of the stadium :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Knex. wrote: »
    There's a lad who lives in an apartment across the way from mine, and he spends hours on his balcony, with a cup and ball, endlessly trying to get the ball into the cup.

Over the past two years of watching him from time to time, I've noticed that he's started adding in some tricks. He tries to spin the cup in the air, catch it, and then locate the ball. Albeit with awfully limited success. He has even gone further, despite not mastering the previous bit, and tried to spin the cup, bounce it off his elbow, catch it, then catch the ball. Again, we're looking at a staggering fail rate.

This morning, he is camped outside on his balcony with the snow falling around him. Ciggy in mouth, skiing jacket on, and a look of grim determination on his face as his frozen hands grip onto the wooden cup and ball.

I'm getting a blanket, lying on the couch, and watching this for the next while. I think it's going to be a good one.

You can tell he’s a Liverpool fan as well, doing it the hard way. A United fan would just buy the cup with the ball already in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

IM not a huge Hendo fan but at the minute he would play for all of the top 6 bar City,
    He'd play instead of the young lad (McTominny) or Herrera  at United
    He'd play instead of Drinkwater or Bakayoko at Chelsea
    He'd play ahead of Dier or Sissoko at Spurs ,
    He'd play ahead of everyone at Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

The advertising must have really worked on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

any links sounds like an intense game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Few snow streams knocking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Ace Stream ftw.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Anyone else kinda get p*ssed off a bit watching those tunnel videos? The players arrive in a bus under the stadium with only a few fans cordoned off behind barriers. A select few will stop for autographs or photos. Same in the tunnel when they're running out for the pre match warm up, kids with programmes hanging over the tunnel in the hope they'll be signed - and not one player stops. The fans are ignored for the most part, some players might give a high five but most dont give give them a second glance. Would it really be so bad to take 2 minutes out and sign a few bits and pieces? I know its not a lot to be giving out about but its sad to see that in the modern game. Oh to be back in the day when players drove up in their own cars and were swarmed before they got into/out of the stadium :)

Yeah we have the worst players. An interesting snippet of dialogue from last video was the advice from Robertson to TAA post-match.. "Stop hitting me with crosses, just go in the box!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I've given Hendo heaps of stick here, but in his last few games he has been outstanding.
    If he can continue with that level of football along with staying fit, he is exactly what is needed as a midfielder in our team and system.

Would he fit in at Utd, no he wouldn't, different type of football there. They can't even fit Pogba into their style of play.
    Chelsea - yeah, I can see him slotting in ahead of Drinkwater, that lad from Everton and even Fabergas to an extend given that he is way off form lately.
    Spurs - Not really, they have their holding mid, and then Dembele which play a unique type of football through the middle, it'd never work.
    City - No, Fernadinho is too good.
    Arsenal - they would love a player like him at the moment.

That's all based on his current form though. So he would be an instant upgrade for 2 or 3 of our rivals.

Henderson best position is not the deepest of the midfielders though. He's had his best games playing a bit further forward.

Do you know who hasn't be talking sh1te in the news of late that Dutch guy who blames Klopp's training for injures.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement