Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Anyone else kinda get p*ssed off a bit watching those tunnel videos? The players arrive in a bus under the stadium with only a few fans cordoned off behind barriers. A select few will stop for autographs or photos. Same in the tunnel when they're running out for the pre match warm up, kids with programmes hanging over the tunnel in the hope they'll be signed - and not one player stops. The fans are ignored for the most part, some players might give a high five but most dont give give them a second glance. Would it really be so bad to take 2 minutes out and sign a few bits and pieces? I know its not a lot to be giving out about but its sad to see that in the modern game. Oh to be back in the day when players drove up in their own cars and were swarmed before they got into/out of the stadium :)

I have a vague recollection of the club implementing a policy to prevent players and staff stopping to sign autographs in the tunnel and at Melwood last year. I think - and I am 100% open to correction here! - that the Melwood policy was to prevent people congregating around a busy roadway.

I think it's poor form to have a policy like that in place but if it is a club policy, it's a bit harsh to blame players - I can remember a video on the pre-season tour of Milner and Sturridge stopping to sign when everyone else kept going. Club officials weren't long moving them on from the fans who had waited too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Do you know who hasn't be talking sh1te in the news of late that Dutch guy who blames Klopp's training for injures.

Him or Didi Hamann.

Actually there's a few of the usual suspects like Danny Murphy very quiet lately. Expect them all to come out once there is a bad result tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Do you know who hasn't be talking sh1te in the news of late that Dutch guy who blames Klopp's training for injures.

It's almost like the rotation policy that he had preached that has been used this season worked or something... :confused::P

He was criticising Guardiola recently when de Bruyne spoke out about tiredness but otherwise he's pretty quiet lately.

And, while I am joking above, the squad really is feeling the benefit of rotation - full-backs fresher, CBs able to drop out for a game or two, several options in the midfield... There's very little drop in quality between our first XI and some of our back-ups and that has really helped to avoid muscular injuries.

Even the players missing at the weekend - Clyne, Wijnaldum and Ings - were either out due to a long-term injury or illness, none of which can be traced back to Klopp's training methods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Knex. wrote: »
    There's a lad who lives in an apartment across the way from mine, and he spends hours on his balcony, with a cup and ball, endlessly trying to get the ball into the cup.

Over the past two years of watching him from time to time, I've noticed that he's started adding in some tricks. He tries to spin the cup in the air, catch it, and then locate the ball. Albeit with awfully limited success. He has even gone further, despite not mastering the previous bit, and tried to spin the cup, bounce it off his elbow, catch it, then catch the ball. Again, we're looking at a staggering fail rate.

This morning, he is camped outside on his balcony with the snow falling around him. Ciggy in mouth, skiing jacket on, and a look of grim determination on his face as his frozen hands grip onto the wooden cup and ball.

I'm getting a blanket, lying on the couch, and watching this for the next while. I think it's going to be a good one.

Two guys, one cup.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Anyone else kinda get p*ssed off a bit watching those tunnel videos? The players arrive in a bus under the stadium with only a few fans cordoned off behind barriers. A select few will stop for autographs or photos. Same in the tunnel when they're running out for the pre match warm up, kids with programmes hanging over the tunnel in the hope they'll be signed - and not one player stops. The fans are ignored for the most part, some players might give a high five but most dont give give them a second glance. Would it really be so bad to take 2 minutes out and sign a few bits and pieces? I know its not a lot to be giving out about but its sad to see that in the modern game. Oh to be back in the day when players drove up in their own cars and were swarmed before they got into/out of the stadium :)

Post match or at Melwood ,yes it pisses me off. But not before or during the game. They only have so much time alotted for warming up and team talks so anything more then a hi five on the way in/out after the prematch warmup or at half time would likely be detrimental to our preparation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Not annoyed at all by it.

Players need to 100% focused on the game ahead & they all probably have some routing & rituals as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Knex. wrote: »
    There's a lad who lives in an apartment across the way from mine, and he spends hours on his balcony, with a cup and ball, endlessly trying to get the ball into the cup.

Over the past two years of watching him from time to time, I've noticed that he's started adding in some tricks. He tries to spin the cup in the air, catch it, and then locate the ball. Albeit with awfully limited success. He has even gone further, despite not mastering the previous bit, and tried to spin the cup, bounce it off his elbow, catch it, then catch the ball. Again, we're looking at a staggering fail rate.

This morning, he is camped outside on his balcony with the snow falling around him. Ciggy in mouth, skiing jacket on, and a look of grim determination on his face as his frozen hands grip onto the wooden cup and ball.

I'm getting a blanket, lying on the couch, and watching this for the next while. I think it's going to be a good one.

This was one of the best short stories I've ever read. Would like to see it turned into a movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

gimli2112 wrote: »
    This was one of the best short stories I've ever read. Would like to see it turned into a movie.

Netflix have optioned a 12 part drama starring Ryan Gosling with subsequent renewals dependent on guardian reviews and post count.

Now is there any actual football to discuss? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Now is there any actual football to discuss? :pac:

Porridge with honey, peanut butter (crunchy) and a chopped banana. Cup of tea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Not might get the chance to pile pressure on United this weekend if this snow continues. That would be a shame. Can see game cancelled Saturday but for them to get to play on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Post match or at Melwood ,yes it pisses me off. But not before or during the game. They only have so much time alotted for warming up and team talks so anything more then a hi five on the way in/out after the prematch warmup or at half time would likely be detrimental to our preparation.

Yeah I don't mind them not stopping at half/full time obviously, but just looking at that video...it wouldn't take 30 seconds just to scrawl something on a programme for a kid as youre walking before the pre match warm up. Obviously the Melwood issue is fair enough as players are driving cars and people are kept back for their own safety.
    It was just an observation. Happens all over the league now, which is a pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Not might get the chance to pile pressure on United this weekend if this snow continues. That would be a shame. Can see game cancelled Saturday but for them to get to play on Monday.

Jesus I hope not,I'm due to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

The hurling won't be cancelled, those are proper hardy lads who will do anything to play a match!!

Getting-to-Hurling-Training1519825143.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Yeah I don't mind them not stopping at half/full time obviously, but just looking at that video...it wouldn't take 30 seconds just to scrawl something on a programme for a kid as youre walking before the pre match warm up. Obviously the Melwood issue is fair enough as players are driving cars and people are kept back for their own safety.
    It was just an observation. Happens all over the league now, which is a pity.

You do it for one you have to do it for all in this day in age as people will then complain that so and so did not sign my little Jonny's autograph book.

Thank god for remote access, I can 'work from home' throughout Storm Beastie-from-Eastie...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

corwill wrote: »
    Thank god for remote access, I can 'work from home' throughout Storm Beastie-from-Eastie...

I'm pulling the same scam myself

work-from-home.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

They're athletes not celebrities, why should they stop for an autograph? There's always the chance too that they'll be insulted/abused etc. Must be an absolute pain for them

LiamoSail wrote: »
    They're athletes not celebrities, why should they stop for an autograph? There's always the chance too that they'll be insulted/abused etc. Must be an absolute pain for them

Their entire industry/livelihood is dependent on the existence of the interest of a fan base. Otherwise, they're just lads playing ball.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Firmly believe they should do a tonne of that stuff after the game... but before, I can understand players wanting to focus. In comparison to days gone by, there's an awful lot more pressure on them now. Most games before were just watched by those in the stadium, and nearly everyone else only had second hand accounts or highlights. Now every match is watched in full HD by tens of millions of people worldwide, and every second of it all is dissected and criticized. Could see them needing to be much more switched on and focused these days, with set routines before a match.

But once the business of the game is done, I totally think they should be spending a good 20 or 30 minutes doing fan stuff.

Their entire industry/livelihood is dependent on the existence of the interest of a fan base. Otherwise, they're just lads playing ball.

The interest of the fan base is primarily focused on what they do on the pitch, not how many selfies they pose for or autographs they sign. Really don't see why they should bother, particularly when its adults looking for autographs etc.

The interest of the fan base is primarily focused on what they do on the pitch, not how many selfies they pose for or autographs they sign. Really don't see why they should bother, particularly when its adults looking for autographs etc.

I'm sure it'll all be grand, taking stuff for granted always works out well.

• Advertisement

I'm sure it'll all be grand, taking stuff for granted always works out well.

Football did just fine before the cult of celebrity, when players were judged for their performances on the pitch rather than the promotion of themselves off it. I'm sure if the celebrity appeal fades the game will again manage just fine. There's plenty of us still interested in it as a sport

There's plenty of us still interested in it as a sport

But, sure, that's the bit. We're maybe not as far apart as you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Whats wrong with wanting Pro sportsmen to acknowledge young guys and sign a program for them. That clip I'm referring to had only about a dozen youngsters hanging over the wall of the tunnel, It wouldn't of took long for a couple of players to make a small dream come through for a handful of children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Whats wrong with wanting Pro sportsmen to acknowledge young guys and sign a program for them. That clip I'm referring to had only about a dozen youngsters hanging over the wall of the tunnel, It wouldn't of took long for a couple of players to make a small dream come through for a handful of children.

I think there's only a dozen because the players aren't stopping. The kids are just taking a chance. If the players did stop every time, every kid (and the adult kids) in the stadium would be hanging over trying to get an autograph. If the players stop anywhere when they're in a group they're mobbed. Pre-game is just a no go as they're trying to prepare for the game.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Charlie19 wrote: »

On match day you'll often see lads not in the squad through injury or whatever going to the fans before the game, spending 10-15 mins at the wheelchair area and beside the tunnel entrance area signing autographs and stuff.

I agree there should be more player interaction with fans at games though after the match, although if it was a thing there would be hundreds of people looking for things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

When my Dad started bringing me to Anfield they'd get off the bus and he'd have me on his shoulders and they'd be just a few feet away and while I dont recall getting or even wanting any autographs it was actually pretty special to me to be that close to them and they'd give a wink or a wave.
    Sounds daft but it's small stuff like that which can make a kids day.

Shutters down and it doesnt make anyones day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Jaysus, that VAR is some pile of ****.

What happened with VAR

Are the games even gonna go ahead at the wkend

Pitch will be fine, could cancel due to fans not being able to travel.

Lazio v Milan gone to pens.
    Sky 401
    Lucas V Suso

Lucas missed
    unlucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

What happened with VAR

The Spurs game earlier was a shambles because of it. Delayed the game for 6 mins. Maybe longer. Nobody seemed to have a clue what was going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Are the games even gonna go ahead at the wkend

You're stressed as hell about getting over, aren't you? I'm heading myself but nothing I can do about it, just hope for the best. It'll actually be the second game in a row I've missed this season if I can't get over. I think it's unlikely to be honest, what with weather here making it hard to get out or weather over there being as bad or worse.

mosstin wrote: »
    You're stressed as hell about getting over, aren't you? I'm heading myself but nothing I can do about it, just hope for the best. It'll actually be the second game in a row I've missed this season if I can't get over. I think it's unlikely to be honest, what with weather here making it hard to get out or weather over there being as bad or worse.

I am tbh,bloody looking forward to it for months,you flying out from cork?

• Advertisement

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I am tbh,bloody looking forward to it for months,you flying out from cork?

Knock, which regularly cancels flights. Flying out on Sat morning so might be ok.

Jaysus, those lads from The Anfield Wrap don't half go overboard, especially recently. I saw a piece lauding VVD's arrival as the beginning of Total Football at Anfield etc.
    https://twitter.com/TheAnfieldWrap/status/969006887185321984

Knock, which regularly cancels flights. Flying out on Sat morning so might be ok.

I suppose all we can do is wait,I'm hoping we'll get the last of the snow Fri night,you guys in the west might get away with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Is Klopp taking the mick? He reckons he'll play a strong side against Porto, citing the slagging Arsenal took for losing in Europa recently:
    https://extra.ie/2018/02/28/sport/soccernews/jurgen-klopp-reveals

Surely it will be a strong side against Newcastle, 2nd string against Porto (there's no chance of blowing a 5-0 lead at home to Porto), and strong side against Utd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Is Klopp taking the mick? He reckons he'll play a strong side against Porto, citing the slagging Arsenal took for losing in Europa recently:

Surely it will be a strong side against Newcastle, 2nd string against Porto (there's no chance of blowing a 5-0 lead at home to Porto), and strong side against Utd?

Or maybe he's trying to give the guys who do play a confidence boost by saying he'll play a strong team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Or maybe he's trying to give the guys who do play a confidence boost by saying he'll play a strong team?

Yeah maybe the report is being a bit-misleading as it says that Klopp won't rest players against Porto, but Klopp is quoted as saying he will play a strong side against them. Could mean two different things alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

fyfe79 wrote: »

Even resting a few players I’m sure it will still be a decent side he puts out anyways, so it’s still “strong” in that sense of the word, I doubt he will be using loads of u23 in the game rather rotate and give the bench players and squad players a match.

In saying that a loss even when going through can still have a hit on confidence and mentality going into the game against us. I’m sure he will have an eye on that game especially with Utd not having a match midweek and it being an early Saturday game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Jaysus, those lads from The Anfield Wrap don't half go overboard, especially recently. I saw a piece lauding VVD's arrival as the beginning of Total Football at Anfield etc.
    https://twitter.com/TheAnfieldWrap/status/969006887185321984

Great being positive as we have a very good team but this stuff is ott.

I remember back in 2014 I was watching a Hillsborough memorial special on LFCTV in April & feeling uneasy as Hansen & others basically saying we had the title won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

MD1990 wrote: »
    Great being positive as we have a very good team but this stuff is ott.

I remember back in 2014 I was watching a Hillsborough memorial special on LFCTV in April & feeling uneasy as Hansen & others basically saying we had the title won.

One of the main problems with football pundits/reporters/writers is that they are either way OTT or it’s all doom and gloom. There doesn’t seem to be any middle ground these days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

He can still play a strong side and get them to play conservatively with their energy!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement