Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

View from the stands: first half was pretty poor. Newcastle were doughty, reluctant to attack, exposed one of the two times we caught them advancing. Too many times, our touch was off, meaning that attacks broke down too often. Salah was everywhere, a licence to roam, super strong.
    Karius's save was remarkable, just stunning and probably the difference between winning and drawing this. Our second was beautiful, playing around them as if they weren't there. From then on, it was just a matter of seeing it out.
    I think Ox was given MOTM but he wasn't outstanding. Was on the ball quite a lot but lacked quality at times. Henderson was bloody excellent - his range of passing, his management of the defensive side of his job was great. Trent was rock solid and both Lovren and VVD complemented each other perfectly. VVD brings with him a sense of calm that even transmits itself to the stands. Some player.
    Bobby had one of those games where things didn't really come off, yet he worked his socks off as always. Mané tried things that didn't come off but showed constantly for the ball.
    Lovely reaction to Rafa too. We just seem to manage matches so much better, possibly due to the arrival of VVD, but it makes for a less tense match experience. The crowd is also noticeably more patient also.

Morzadec wrote: »
    Felt very confident we'd win even after struggling the first 20-30.

Felt very confident we'd see it out and control the game once ahead.

Okay it's only Newcastle at home, but there's an air of belief and confidence at the moment at both ends that I can't quite remember when we last experienced.

It's a reciprocal cyclical positive feedback loop between attack defence and crowd imo. I think the pressure is taken off the attack somewhat now that there's more reassurance at the back, and that's feeding into the crowd who don't get so nervy when we haven't scored or when we're only one or two ahead. I've said it before but i do think the signing of VVD is proving to be more than just one man - it's an influence and assurance spreading throughout the team into the stands and back into the team again.

Brilliant psychological momentum at the moment imo. I'm by no means an optimist fan but I think this should easily carry us to top 4 and who knows where in the CL

The positive feedback loop thing is absolutely true. Patient crowd, relaxed players. It's a different vibe over there lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm still amazed how good the Skype training VVD did with the rest of the defensive players and keepers has worked while he was in Southampton.

How quickly has he settled in and proof positive that we really were missing a vocal on the field leader and organizer.

Now if only he could lose all that weight Carra is saying he is carrying.

After seeing the 2nd goal on MOTD. Thing of beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

astradave wrote: »
    If ye do bring in a top class keeper, I don’t know whether either of Mig or Karius would be happy to play back up. Ye could move both on and have Ward deputise for a year or two to develop with the first team, he seems to be a good talent but it’s a bit early for him.

The one worry I’d say would be if Karius does alright for the rest of the season and Klopp decides he doesn’t need another keeper

It's a strange one. I think Ward's development has gone backward - he was Huddersfield's number 1 last season and was recalled to challenge Karius and Ming which he hasn't done. It must be apparent by now that he has simply not impressed Klopp enough in training, and would've been better off staying at Huddersfield starting matches.

I think Ming is definitely gone in the summer, and I do think we'll sign a new keeper (hopefully Allison), with Karius as back-up. Although if Karius seriously impresses for the remaining 10 games or so, then he stands a chance of starting next season as no. 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

fyfe79 wrote: »
    It's a strange one. I think Ward's development has gone backward - he was Huddersfield's number 1 last season and was recalled to challenge Karius and Ming which he hasn't done. It must be apparent by now that he has simply not impressed Klopp enough in training, and would've been better off staying at Huddersfield starting matches.

I think Ming is definitely gone in the summer, and I do think we'll sign a new keeper (hopefully Allison), with Karius as back-up. Although if Karius seriously impresses for the remaining 10 games or so, then he stands a chance of starting next season as no. 1.

I suppose Ward will need another loan out to get some games at a higher level, I do think the talent is there with him though, he was very good last year. He’s still only 24 which is quiet young for a keeper. Although Karius is the same age he has been playing at a higher level longer but he might surprise everyone, I do think he has a very fragile mentality though. As I said earlier it’s a credit to the coaching staff to get his confidence levels back up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

astradave wrote: »
    If ye do bring in a top class keeper, I don’t know whether either of Mig or Karius would be happy to play back up. Ye could move both on and have Ward deputise for a year or two to develop with the first team, he seems to be a good talent but it’s a bit early for him

Well Mig is gone. He's already making noises so i'd rather Karius stays than Mig because Karius is the one with potential. Mignolet hasn't improved since he signed, he's remained the same standard so this is as good as he gets. At least Karius has the potential to get better.

I've always said this, if we're going to get a new goalkeeper, pay the money to bring in a world class goalkeeper. I'm not interested in just bringing in a Butland or a Schmeichel for the sake of a new keeper because they're the same or if i'm being generous, a slightly better standard than who we have now. I'd rather stick with Karius for the time being.

But if there's a chance to get Allison, absolutely go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

monkey9 wrote: »
    Well Mig is gone. He's already making noises so i'd rather Karius stays than Mig because Karius is the one with potential. Mignolet hasn't improved since he signed, he's remained the same standard so this is as good as he gets. At least Karius has the potential to get better.

I've always said this, if we're going to get a new goalkeeper, pay the money to bring in a world class goalkeeper. I'm not interested in just bringing in a Butland or a Schmeichel for the sake of a new keeper because they're the same or if i'm being generous, a slightly better standard than who we have now. I'd rather stick with Karius for the time being.

But if there's a chance to get Allison, absolutely go for it.

Alisson is an very very good keeper, and while imo he isn’t world class(yet) he has the potential to be. You just have to look at how Ederson has done for City to see what a great keeper can do.. a better keeper will give the backline more confidence too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Not loaning out ward is for me klopps only small black mark on this season, he was only ever going to play a handful of games for us this season bar an injury disaster, had he been loaned again to Huddersfield he probably wouldve gotten a season of premier league experience at the bottom of the table which wouldve stood to him massively you'd assume.

Anyways, buzzing to see karius make strides since being consolidated as no.1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Nice to see Hendo getting all the love on MoTD. He was majorly impressive today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

After seeing the 2nd goal on MOTD. Thing of beauty.

Don’t know if it’s because we’ve scored so many good goals this season but the second one didn’t really seem to get the recognition it deserves.

If ever a goal summed up what the main man brings to the team that was it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

The second goal was so good I laughed my head off when it went it. I love that feeling and it's happened a few times this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The second goal was so good I laughed my head off when it went it. I love that feeling and it's happened a few times this season.

I also laughed but it was because of the celebration, I love the way he mimics the other lads goal celebrations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Whatever happened during the second goal...

That's how you win any game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

2 nil simple game I love this club. **** utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

niallo27 wrote: »
    2 nil simple game I love this club. **** utd

Nice post, covers all the essential bases.

9/10 would read again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

What this season has shown is the best way to stop liverpool is to park the bus is a bit of a myth. Swansea the only team to beat us that way and when some team does get a draw or beat us that way before the seasons out all the experts will be out in force to say its the way to do it. They will conveniently forget the 10- 15 odd times teams have parked the bus this season and it hasnt worked.
    That 6 week period when we struggled last year has more relevance for some people than the 20 months of evidence either side of it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ya, I'm happy with our progress this season. As long as nothing stupid happens regarding Salah or Firmino leaving in the summer, I'll be optimistic that we can improve again next season. Saying that though, we'll be relying on the like of city not getting around 100 points, as we won't improve that much. It'd be great to see a multi team race for the title next year, with us coming out on top of course, with a total around 85 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

So important we got Van Dijk ahead of City.

City with VVD would be nailed on for another PL next year. Still strong favourites obviously though.

MD1990 wrote: »
    So important we got Van Dijk ahead of City.

City with VVD would be nailed on for another PL next year. Still strong favourites obviously though.

Said it before, but he's brought a serious calmness to the defense. The panic for the most part is gone, from keeper to CB/fullbacks

Klopp was correct to wait for the right man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Anyone else see Salahs snapchat story with some kit on his ankle?

Hope he's ok for Utd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

mosstin wrote: »
    Henderson was bloody excellent - his range of passing, his management of the defensive side of his job was great. Trent was rock solid and both Lovren and VVD complemented each other perfectly. VVD brings with him a sense of calm that even transmits itself to the stands. Some player.

MOTD highlighted Henderson as well in the terms you did, but he really only came to life looking forward once the deadlock had been broken before then he sprayed a couple of balls but was otherwise annoyingly conservative and slow to see a shorter pass between the lines.

He is good at nipping in to break up opposition possession which is grand but if we consider what Keita is so bloody good at - breaking up and transitioning play and that Klopp apparently wants a player like Jorginho who is a top passer from deep this suggests the captain could well be a squad player next season.
    Bobby had one of those games where things didn't really come off, yet he worked his socks off as always

Apart from being the whole reason the second goal went it you mean?! :) That threaded ball to Mane was sublime.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Firmino basically started the move for the second goal too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I remember having that feeling often multiple times per match with Suarez back in 2014 :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Klopp apparently wants a player like Jorginho who is a top passer from deep this suggests the captain could well be a squad player next season.

This Summer will tell a lot about what Klopp wants, I am not sure he wants the same type of deep midfielder that you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Great to see Henderson play well yesterday.

He looked a lot like his old self in terms of his mobility and energy. He was all over the pitch, and did it all whilst playing alongside Can, something that historically hasn't been too successful for Liverpool. His passing seemed a lot better too.

Hopefully he can keep it up.

MOTD highlighted Henderson as well in the terms you did, but he really only came to life looking forward once the deadlock had been broken before then he sprayed a couple of balls but was otherwise annoyingly conservative and slow to see a shorter pass between the lines.

He is good at nipping in to break up opposition possession which is grand but if we consider what Keita is so bloody good at - breaking up and transitioning play and that Klopp apparently wants a player like Jorginho who is a top passer from deep this suggests the captain could well be a squad player next season.

Apart from being the whole reason the second goal went it you mean?! :) That threaded ball to Mane was sublime.

Henderson did a lot of things yesterday that went unnoticed, well before our first goal to be fair. His use of the ball, breaking up attacks, his range of passing was spot on.
    Bobby was superb for our goal, of course, but he really wasn't on it yesterday as he has been. Not a criticism at all. He's set such phenomenal standards for himself that yesterday he really didn't stand out as he has done.
    Saw a tweet which highlighted his run which contributed to our first goal also, taking their left full with him, leaving Salah free.
    We're in a good place right now. No panic at all when we hadn't broken the deadlock coming up to HT. There's a sense of inevitability when Salah, Mané and Firmino take the pitch that we'll score at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Said it before, but he's brought a serious calmness to the defense. The panic for the most part is gone, from keeper to CB/fullbacks

Klopp was correct to wait for the right man.

Said practically nobody here in Nov & Dec.

Turns out the minority "In Klopp We Trust" brigade were right to have faith and withhold condemnation for not signing ANY half decent centre-half last summer. The dude works in mysterious ways, but by gosh I do abide.

Hendo was definitely my MoTM. Was worried we wouldn't see his best form from THAT year ever again, due to injuries. But yesterday was so promising that he's still got it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Hendo was definitely my MoTM. Was worried we wouldn't see his best form from THAT year ever again, due to injuries. But yesterday was so promising that he's still got it.

His fitness is being forensically managed for crucial matches, and it's paying off big time this season. The addition of Ox and the form of Milner has eased our dependence on an ever-present Hendo, long may it continue imo.

Milner, Hendo, Ox, Can, they're all showing some great stuff lately. Wij picked a bad time to get injured/sick. But we know we can depend on him too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Karius was excellent yesterday, distrubition was good throughout and when called upon he made a world class save.

I think i've been proved wrong with my assessment that Milner can't play in central midfield for us, i've been very impressed with him all season, he adds a toughness that we sometimes lack and he has a wise head on him, knows when we need to slow down the game, knows when to take one for the team to stop a fast counter, i'm not at all disappointed when i see his name on the teamsheet now.

The team and squad are in good shape, keeping hold of our players will be as important, if not more important this summer that who we bring in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Really impressed with Karius yesterday. Has come on leaps and bounds since we dropped Mig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

budgemook wrote: »
    For anyone who had travel cancelled today - Ryanair emailed me a link to request a refund for the flight over and the flight back and I have no reason to think I won't be getting the whole lot, inclusive taxes and charges. Fairly happy with that, only down the price of the match ticket.

Not sure about AerLingus.

I wonder how anfield will be today. I remember a very empty ground when the Icelandic volcano caused havoc and I believe we lost or drew although we were crap then and obviously the volcano affected a lot more flights than are affected now.

I was on phone to Aer Lingus call centre (on hold for 2 hours yesterday morning). I sent them a DM on twitter and no reply.

I got a text at 12.22pm saying your 12.15pm flight to Manchester (have a Liverpool taxi guy that we use as sometimes the flights & times with Ryan Aer are shocking) has been cancelled and fill out a refund form online, which I did.

Joke customer service tbh. I'm just glad I didn't get to the airport to be told flight cancelled up there.

Happy to get refund tbh, I was able to cancel hotel and taxi from Manchester so only down the match tickets

I'd say lots or Irish couldn't get over to match yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

One massive change for me yesterday was nerves,I wasn't nervous we would fcuk it up at the back. It just seems to have gone,not being mentioned all the time in commentary is helping.

Long may that fcking last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Karius was excellent yesterday, distrubition was good throughout and when called upon he made a world class save.

I think i've been proved wrong with my assessment that Milner can't play in central midfield for us, i've been very impressed with him all season, he adds a toughness that we sometimes lack and he has a wise head on him, knows when we need to slow down the game, knows when to take one for the team to stop a fast counter, i'm not at all disappointed when i see his name on the teamsheet now.

His broad skillset is serving him well, I think.

A bit like Gini, he's happy to pop up wherever and you see him helping out on the wing, covering the full back or dropping in next to the deepest midfielder as easily.

He's not brilliant at everything but he's got enough of a brain and work ethic that any time it looks like we might be short handed, there he is, doing whatever's needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Vicxas wrote: »
    Really impressed with Karius yesterday. Has come on leaps and bounds since we dropped Mig.

How much of it is confidence in defense. They cover most angles and the keeper just has to take care of what's left. And add the odd worldy !

Migs was stuck with dross in front of him. Sucked all his confidence away and he had to cover too much of the goal mouth.

Karius looks better for now but he wasn't so hot with crap in front of him. All here including myself were looking elsewhere for a new keeper.

VVD has been an immense signing. His calm and control and command of his defense has been the difference. He also appears to control the midfield, no slackers daudling back. Potential captain at this rate.

A Chelsea win today would leave them 3 points off utd...just saying like.

A Chelsea win today would leave them 3 points off utd...just saying like.

A City win leaves them 7 points off us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

garra wrote: »
    Turns out the minority "In Klopp We Trust" brigade were right to have faith and withhold condemnation for not signing ANY half decent centre-half last summer. The dude works in mysterious ways, but by gosh I do abide.
    Don’t agree. We dropped valuable points in games in the first half of the season, and the 3 CDFs were a big problem. No reason we couldn’t have gotten a good CDF while waiting for VVD; 2nd place could have been wrapped up.

That isn’t to say I’m not in the In Klopp we Trust Brigade. From where we were, to what we’ve become, is a phenomenal turn around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

A City win leaves them 7 points off us.
    That’s what I want. Let’s try wrap up top4 early, CL 1/4s can be the focus.

That Arsenal team appears to be horribly broken.

For a brief minute i kinda feel sorry for them, and then i remember the Suarez bid, and now i'm like:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Have to say that I'm loving watching Arsenal at the moment. Hope Wenger stays forever.

I'd prefer city to drop points. I'd rather them under a little pressure in the league instead of giving them a free run at the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

That Arsenal team appears to be horribly broken.

For a brief minute i kinda feel sorry for them, and then i remember the Suarez bid, and now i'm like:

giphy.gif

Yep, for the first time I felt sorry for them too. Absolutely no hope of improvement until Wenger goes. Which is great for us.

Wenger in !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Nice to see the much maligned Hendo get a lot of plaudits from the game yesterday.

Karius is really showing promising signs, I must admit I didn't think he had it in him.

Buy Reus :)

He might just be the ideal back up for the front three and if used right his injury history could be managed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

We need city to wup Chelsea so we can afford to.loose one in case we are still deep.in champions league and they aint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement