Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Buy Reus :)

He might just be the ideal back up for the front three and if used right his injury history could be managed.

The right situation would have to crop up.

If you could get him on the cheap, do a heavily incentivised contract over 3 years, then it'd be a good shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gbear wrote: »
    The right situation would have to crop up.

If you could get him on the cheap, do a heavily incentivised contract over 3 years, then it'd be a good shout.

His contract is up next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

I'd prefer city to drop points. I'd rather them under a little pressure in the league instead of giving them a free run at the Champions League.

City win would leave Chelsea well behind us though so surely that's the better scenario.

Anyway sure if City do well in the Ch-League that's their business, I'd rather we got top 4 and they won it than vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I'd prefer city to drop points. I'd rather them under a little pressure in the league instead of giving them a free run at the Champions League.
    If a 12pt lead would be pressure, then just a 4pt lead ahead of Chelsea would be a lot more pressure.
    A City win is good for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

For all I've moaned about us squandering breaks over the past couple of seasons, you have to see the likes of Brighton dithering around before you can truly appreciate how good we are relative to truly average teams.

Still room to improve in finishing, pass selection and execution of the first pass to start the break, but we're lightyears ahead of most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

15 points ahead of Arsenal at this stage of the season. Great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Very happy we didn't waste £60m on Aubameyang the lad ha no interest in playing football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Very happy we didn't waste £60m on Aubameyang the lad ha no interest in playing football.

I always find the ‘it’s just a job’ approach of some footballers to be refreshing...

...when they’re playing for other teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

If a 12pt lead would be pressure, then just a 4pt lead ahead of Chelsea would be a lot more pressure.

Surprised this is even up for debate!

As good as we've been and as confident as I am of getting top 4, a Chelsea win leaves us just 4 points ahead of them with a visit to the Bridge to come. That's the current champions, a very defensively solid side with world class players like Kante and Hazard out on the pitch.

We're getting way ahead of ourselves if we think top 4 is sewn up! We'll have a sense of being almost there with a City win, but a Chelsea win and it's all very congested again and very much squeaky bum time with 4 teams trying to fit into 3 places. Even with our favourable run-in I don't fancy that.

Would also bolster our CL hopes to be in a relatively pressure free league run in rather than a hotly contested top 4 scrap

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Full on city supporter today. A 7 pt lead over them with 9 games to go would be great. Chelsea also play spurs in a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Wanting Chelsea to beat City is a very strange thing for a Liverpool fan to want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

5starpool wrote: »
    Wanting Chelsea to beat City is a very strange thing for a Liverpool fan to want.

As long as there’s a mathematical chance of catching them.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

****ing hell who wants Chelsea to win? City all the way. 7 points between Liverpool and 5th place would be perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

martyos121 wrote: »
    As long as there’s a mathematical chance of catching them.....
    Mathematical Arsenal could catch us.
    They’re not going to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ideally Chelsea win, United lose tomorrow and next week and Chelsea grab 4th ahead of United with Liverpool 2nd and Spurs 3rd.
    Need a crystal ball for all that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Great win yesterday , front 3 gad an off bad but i thought the modfeild and defence played great bar Trent though he had his worse game of the season but thankfully wasnt punished ,
    We are so much more solid since Cou left unreal player but with Salah cheating by not having to track we couldnt afford both in the same 11 without being a bit light defensivly ,
    We will at times miss Phils creativity and goals but Keita will add the beating a player we miss from Phil while keeping us more solid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ideally Chelsea win, United lose tomorrow and next week and Chelsea grab 4th ahead of United with Liverpool 2nd and Spurs 3rd.
    Need a crystal ball for all that though.

Why on earth do you want Chelsea to win?

noodler wrote: »

Prefer them to grab a spot instead of United, only reason.

He reckons lfc are guaranteed top4 presumably regardless of Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Karius is really showing promising signs, I must admit I didn't think he had it in him.

So you don't think he's a potential underachiever then?

• Advertisement

It's been commented by quite a few how Coutinho no longer being in the team means the attack dynamic has changed. If Klopp was concerned about the frequency that he had the ball presumably any replacement player will be more direct which has me doubting he'll get one at all and use Keita and simply buy another dedicated forward (along with a CM/DM).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Anyway sure if City do well in the Ch-League that's their business, I'd rather we got top 4 and they won it than vice versa.

You'd rather get top 4 than win the CL (or PL)??? :confused:

Augeo wrote: »
    He reckons lfc are guaranteed top4 presumably regardless of Chelsea

If trend of last 4 months continue we have 2nd. We've done nothing but gain on United and City, and now we are 2nd. Can see Palace at least drawing with United and for us to be 2nd on merit going into United game, a game we can draw at that point to stay 2nd. If all that were to happen and Spurs win next week all three of us would be on 61 pts.
    If Chelsea win today and next game they'd be on 60 pts. That would be a scary race at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Love if we tried for an experienced attacking player like Willian in the summer. He'd be a cracking player under Klopp.

I'd like Chelsea to not get 3 points today....we aren't catching man city :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Chelsea hasn't even had a shot yet.

Think a draw would do, it means we increase our lead on Chelsea and slightly closes the gap on the leaders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Chelsea are about as much threat to us as Southampton are. We are nailed on for top 4, and will finish 2nd in all likelihood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Chelsea are about as much threat to us as Southampton are. We are nailed on for top 4, and will finish 2nd in all likelihood.

I'd love to share your confidence, watching that first half there Chelsea would be lucky to get a draw.

• Advertisement

klose wrote: »
    I'd love to share your confidence, watching that first half there Chelsea would be lucky to get a draw.

Share what confidence?

Are you not confident that Liverpool will get top 4 this season?

I am, we're playing great stuff and getting results. We're looking at getting second, and have a decent run in. No need to be looking over our shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

murpho999 wrote: »
    Share what confidence?

Are you not confident that Liverpool will get top 4 this season?

I am, we're playing great stuff and getting results. We're looking at getting second, and have a decent run in. No need to be looking over our shoulder.

I wouldn't say we are nailed on, it's all looking very good I'll admit. A city win would have me much more confident.

Silva the Younger scores :)

Why am I smiling? :mad:

Is it that difficult to comprehend someone not sharing the same level of confidence?

Get in City.

Nice one! That will do nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

For all those who are looking for a draw so we can mount a title challenge what are ye drinking. We look like we could get 2nd 3rd at worst but a title challenge be realistic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Don’t agree. We dropped valuable points in games in the first half of the season, and the 3 CDFs were a big problem. No reason we couldn’t have gotten a good CDF while waiting for VVD; 2nd place could have been wrapped up.

That isn’t to say I’m not in the In Klopp we Trust Brigade. From where we were, to what we’ve become, is a phenomenal turn around.

That's fair enough. At this point then we would have the new CDF, VVD (was always going to sign him as soon as possible), Lovren, Matip, Klavan & Gomez as centre half options. We can only speculate as to the possible return of points the other new CDF would have generated, could have been anything from 1-9 imo.
    Perhaps he sees Matip/Lovren/Gomez as all being equipped to partner VVD (depending on opposition) and didn't want to add another name to that list?
    Short term band-aids are not in the Klopp play-book, which gives me an enormous sense of well-being.

For all those who are looking for a draw so we can mount a title challenge what are ye drinking. We look like we could get 2nd 3rd at worst but a title challenge be realistic

Yep. City win here is great for us. Rest is fantasy land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Did someone actually say that?

klose wrote: »
    I wouldn't say we are nailed on, it's all looking very good I'll admit. A city win would have me much more confident.

Well it's looking good at City now.

Toby strikes again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Did someone actually say that?

No, I simply said that a Chelsea win today would leave them only 3 behind utd, i.e. I'd love it if utd missed out on top 4, nobody thinks we can catch city, well no normal person anyway! :pac:

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Toby strikes again.

‘There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.‘

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

No, I simply said that a Chelsea win today would leave them only 3 behind utd, i.e. I'd love it if utd missed out on top 4, nobody thinks we can catch city, well no normal person anyway! :pac:

It wasn't yours specifically which is why I did not quote you mind I should have read your whole conversation but there has been a couple who have said 15 points behind its not unheard off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Be better to qualify for champions league by winning it this year I think. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

It wasn't yours specifically which is why I did not quote you mind I should have read your whole conversation but there has been a couple who have said 15 points behind its not unheard off

I think it was probably me that started that whole conversation my bad!, i only skimmed the last few pages maybe someone did suggest it, anyway looks unlikely now with how Chelsea are playing, city can pretty much play the u23's for the rest of the season and concentrate on the CL.

Have city played any properly good teams this year, aside from us everyone else has been sh1te against them in the league, it'll be interesting if they draw a Munich or a Juve in the next round, we'll see how good this city team actually is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I'd put top 4 chances at about 95% after this result-even if Liverpool did suffer a horrifying slump in form Chelsea just don't look like they give a sh1t enough to capitalise.

sabat wrote: »
    I'd put top 4 chances at about 95% after this result-even if Liverpool did suffer a horrifying slump in form Chelsea just don't look like they give a sh1t enough to capitalise.

In the remaining 9 games a 2ppg haul would put us on 78 points, to get to 78 pts Chelsea need 25 pts from their remaining 9 games :)
    Can't see Chelsea putting that run together and even if they did you'd fancy us to better 2ppg in the next 9 the way we are playing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Would ye bloody well shut up until it's mathematically confirmed :pac:

We're 1/20 with bookmakers to finish top4 :)
    The 95% mentioned excluding the over round.

Great result, can't argue with that. Top 4 could be unchanged now.
    Chelsea only have 3 wins in league this year, they've now lost 4 of last five games. Every team bar 2 have better record than them in last 5 games. West Brom with 5 straight losses is one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement