Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Great result.

Would start Gomez midweek to get him sharp for vs Man Utd. Would start him ahead of Trent in this game to deal with Sanchez. I would think he will have learned from switching off at the Emirates in Dec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

We have Chelsea and united left to play from the top 4, united have to play city and arsenal as well as us spurs have city and Chelsea. Lots of points up for grabs yet, this top 4 is far from over, but a win next weekend would be huge for confidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

MD1990 wrote: »
    Great result.

Would start Gomez midweek to get him sharp for vs Man Utd. Would start him ahead of Trent in this game to deal with Sanchez. I would think he will have learned from switching off at the Emirates in Dec.

I’d start him as well but I don’t think he’s learned his lesson, he’s done it at least twice since then costing us goals.

Our RB is also a target for limited long ball teams. Burnley, and one or two others have lumped balls up against him and had some success, I can see Mourinho following that example, but I’d rather him in than TAA who has been fairly poor recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Gomez should get 60 mins against Porto, take him off and leave him fresh.
    Hard to know what to do with team selection midweek, obviously resting our entire first 11 would be great for the fitness but would that mess up our momentum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I’d like to see Ings and Solanke get a decent run out against Porto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

That was a shameful performance from Chelsea. Sometimes we forget how much better we are than most other teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We've yet to crack 90 pts in Premier League, can't happen this season either. We'll have to if we want to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Great result for us. Hopefully city don't let up against utd or spurs either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

That was a shameful performance from Chelsea. Sometimes we forget how much better we are than most other teams.

I think I've been relatively calm about the team for a solid while now. All the more since VVD has stepped into the side.

We're the 2nd best team in England, in my mind, and a relative force to be reckoned with in Europe. Nobody will want to play Liverpool when/if they progress to the next round in the CL.

My biggest/only concern is our depth in that front three if Salah, Firmino or Mane get injured. That needs to be addressed in the summer.

I also cannot wait to see Keita in this team.

Since losing to Spurs 4-1 we are second in the form table with 47 points (City on 50)highest goal scorers with 54 and second least conceded with 16.

We must be the best ball playing side in Europe now surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Chelsea have problems that go beyond a slump. They have picked up just 8pts in their last 7 games, and there's an inability to find the goals that they lost when Costa departed. They're still excellent defensively but they've lost attacking threat.

Morata hasn't worked out for them. Playing Hazard as a striker isn't the solution. Sending Batshuayi away on loan was mental as they'll have the same limitations with Giroud that Arsenal did. Out of the teams competing for a Top 4 spot they've scored the least amount of goals (50... even Arsenal have 52 and they've been shocking this season).

I think the gap between CL spots and 5th place will start to get bigger, and the atmosphere there might start to get really toxic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Since losing to Spurs 4-1 we are second in the form table with 47 points (City on 50)highest goal scorers with 54 and second least conceded with 16.

Hang on.... I thought we can't defend :confused:

The two City games, Spurs and Watford really throw out our goals against stats.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Hang on.... I thought we can't defend :confused:

The two City games, Spurs and Watford really throw out our goals against stats.

And Arsenal away. We let in a catastrophic 18 goals in those 5 games, and 14 in our other 22. We have thankfully reduced the stupidity that saw us concede those mad numbers, but it's hard to say that it is entirely gone (except for the obvious inevitable game that everyone suffers now and then). I said not long after the Spurs game that we would concede no more than 40 goals in the league, and I'd be surprised if we did now. Looking good, but we have been relatively lucky with injuries this season, although good rotation in the middle helped there too.

• Advertisement

robwen wrote: »

Love the last goal away to Chelsea. Clinched the league

5starpool wrote: »
    And Arsenal away. We let in a catastrophic 18 goals in those 5 games, and 14 in our other 22. We have thankfully reduced the stupidity that saw us concede those mad numbers, but it's hard to say that it is entirely gone (except for the obvious inevitable game that everyone suffers now and then). I said not long after the Spurs game that we would concede no more than 40 goals in the league, and I'd be surprised if we did now. Looking good, but we have been relatively lucky with injuries this season, although good rotation in the middle helped there too.

That's nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

We've played 29 games so 14 conceded in 24 then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    That's nuts.

Even more nuts is the fact Burnley have only scored 24 goals in 29 games and are in 7th on 40 points. Mental.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

TitianGerm wrote: »
    We've played 29 games so 14 conceded in 24 then?

Yep, correct, sorry. That's pretty good going for a team that can't defend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’d actually put my neck on the line and say we are quite good at defending. Blatant individual errors at the worst possible moments in some matches this season has formed inaccurate opinions of us.

We’re solid with Virgil in the back 4 and we weren’t a disaster in the couple of months before he arrived either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Yep, correct, sorry. That's pretty good going for a team that can't defend.

We all saw the problems. We kept making big individual mistakes, and got punished more often than not.
    It did take a top save to keep it at 1:0 against Newcastle, but it was a shot outside the box; and that was it really. Didn’t give them a sniff otherwise.
    Different LB, CDF, and a keeper showing form; changes to 3 of the back 5 helps.
    Still need to see if the keeper can maintain this form, and if Lovern/Matip can keep their level going as well (and show they can step up when VVD is rested/injured).
    We lost Coutinho, we got VVD. We’re probably going to lose Can, we’re getting Kieta. Summer needs more quality to come in the door; cause City/Utd will spend, and with Arsenal/Chelsea probably missing the CL, there could be big changes there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

We all saw the problems. We kept making big individual mistakes, and got punished more often than not.
    It did take a top save to keep it at 1:0 against Newcastle, but it was a shot outside the box; and that was it really. Didn’t give them a sniff otherwise.
    Different LB, CDF, and a keeper showing form; changes to 3 of the back 5 helps.
    Still need to see if the keeper can maintain this form, and if Lovern/Matip can keep their level going as well (and show they can step up when VVD is rested/injured).
    We lost Coutinho, we got VVD. We’re probably going to lose Can, we’re getting Kieta. Summer needs more quality to come in the door; cause City/Utd will spend, and with Arsenal/Chelsea probably missing the CL, there could be big changes there.

THAT'S a big difference, though: three or four months ago, that would have gone in and it's 1-1. And they would have much more than a sniff after half time. Same with the chance Porto had in the last minute of the first half to pull it back to 2-1.

Before, those goals went in and we were looking at different games and probably dropped points.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Grueller

Do we all remember when we thought the Ox was sh1te and that we should buy Granit Xhaka. Just saying like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Grueller wrote: »
    Do we all remember when we thought the Ox was sh1te and that we should buy Granit Xhaka. Just saying like.

People were talking up Xhaka before he joined Arsenal two and a half season ago (time flies), we were wrong about him but then again maybe he's been Wengered as Ox_Cham seems to have been. Who knows maybe Arsenal has a team full of brilliant players who have been killed by their Mr Magoo manager.

I'd happily take Bellerin off Arsenal hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Watched the extended highlights this evening. Ox brings so much to the side. Mostly because he's a midfielder who will play the ball forward, or make a sharp pass and collect. Has massive confidence now, and starting to look like a bit of a bargain. Who would have thought it?

Henderson was also very impressive, especially with his passing range. Klopp and himself were having a mini bromance at the end of the game. Milner was great when I watched him last week, and is still a very valid starting option for games against teams trying to avoid relegation. Keita to come in.

There's something very exciting happening at Liverpool. One or two more tweaks, and it will click into place. Already playing the most attractive football in Europe. That front 3 is outrageous. Liverpool just need to start believing they are the biggest, best, and most successful club in Europe again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Grueller

People were talking up Xhaka before he joined Arsenal two and a half season ago (time flies), we were wrong about him but then again maybe he's been Wengered as Ox_Cham seems to have been. Who knows maybe Arsenal has a team full of brilliant players who have been killed by their Mr Magoo manager.

Yeah. That could be true. I am taking it as a lesson to trust Klopp a lot more than I trust my own judgement. The Ox, Robertson, VVD, Salah, Mane, Firmino have been class signings so far. Wijnaldum & Matip have been solid and even Karius is starting to look salvageable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dunno if this got mentioned - Salah's goal was the 200th PL scored under klopp so that 201 divided by 97 games is er....(googles)....2.07 GPG. Not bad.

When the 100th PL game is played I'm going to do some number crunching cos they should be quite impressive. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

The fault definitely lies with Wenger, there's a lot of good players in that club who aren't being coached correctly. Long may it continue ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I wouldn't,hes fast but that's about it

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I wouldn't,hes fast but that's about it

For someone who doesn't watch any other football than a Liverpool matches not sure your the best judge of players who don't play for Liverpool ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭beya2009

Really? Makes too many mistakes for me but then against Arsenal have been very poor defensively this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

beya2009 wrote: »
    Really? Makes too many mistakes for me but then against Arsenal have been very poor defensively this season.

He’s had a really bad season, but was impressive before that.
    But still, we don’t need a 4th RB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

He'd cost £45 million minimum.

Do we really need another right back at that cost?

Other positions we could invest in.

He'd cost £45 million minimum.

Do we really need another right back at that cost?

Other positions we could invest in.

I didn’t say buy him I just said I’d happily take him and he’s the only Arsenal player I would take.

Also on the right back position are we really that strong going forward.

TAA is still very raw lots of talent but raw.

Gomez is a CB and that where his future will be.

Clyne is a wildcard we don’t know how he will return after this mystery injury.

No doubt right back is down the list on positions that need to be filled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Premier League table since Spurs 4-1 Liverpool on October 22nd:

1. Man City - 50 points
    2. Liverpool - 47 points
    3. Man Utd- 39 points
    4. Spurs - 38 points
    5. Chelsea - 37 points
    6. Arsenal - 29 points

Also scored the most (54) and conceded the 2nd fewest goals (16) since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

TAA hands down first choice for me at RB, Keeps them honest,

We've got control lately and plenty under the hood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

We have TAA Gomez and Clyne at right back. The last thing we need is a right back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

ElTel wrote: »
    TAA hands down first choice for me at RB, Keeps them honest,

We've got control lately and plenty under the hood.

TAA all day for me too.

Not a huge fan of Clyne. He's so ineffective and downright wasteful in the opposition's half, he's infuriating. I think he creates more problems with his wastefulness in advanced positions than he solves by being relatively okay defensively. He's nowhere near good enough for a top 4 team imo.

Id be starting something like this

Karius
    TAA----Gomez
    VVD
    Robbie
    Milner---Lallana---Wjini
    Solanke
    Firmino
    Ox

At half time bring off Firmino and bring on Ings. Even Play Salah and Salah for the first half as well and bring off all three. We are prone to the odd defensive error...................................... so lets win this game on the night regardless of the first leg. We dont play United until Saturday. Its not so close that we need to rest everyone.

TAA all day for me too.

Not a huge fan of Clyne. He's so ineffective and downright wasteful in the opposition's half, he's infuriating. I think he creates more problems with his wastefulness in advanced positions than he solves by being relatively okay defensively. He's nowhere near good enough for a top 4 team imo.

I use to like Clyne but he stopped being an attacking player and became a problem for out defence. If it wasnt for Moreno and Lovren, he would have been called on it ages ago.

TAA and Gomez should easily keep him out of the team. Not a bad back up though to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

TAA all day for me too.

I'm willing to give him a chance cos he is our best RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Mr.H wrote: »

At half time bring off Firmino and bring on Ings. Even Play Salah and Salah for the first half as well and bring off all three. We are prone to the odd defensive error...................................... so lets win this game on the night regardless of the first leg. We dont play United until Saturday. Its not so close that we need to rest everyone.

Imagine have 2 salahs???

source.gif

ardinn wrote:
    Imagine have 2 salahs???

Forgive me I am oh so tired. But holy hell coups you imagine. We wouldn't even need to play with a keeper. We would just destroy teams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Even Arsenal fans have realised Bellerin is sh!t, and they considered him the best player in the league before Chambers took that honour.

Probably tells you all you need to know about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Mr.H wrote: »
    I use to like Clyne but he stopped being an attacking player and became a problem for out defence. If it wasnt for Moreno and Lovren, he would have been called on it ages ago.

TAA and Gomez should easily keep him out of the team. Not a bad back up though to be fair

I remember getting grief on here before when questioning Clyne's place in the team. Was clear to me last season that he wasn't offering enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I didn’t say buy him I just said I’d happily take him and he’s the only Arsenal player I would take.

Also on the right back position are we really that strong going forward.

TAA is still very raw lots of talent but raw.

Gomez is a CB and that where his future will be.

Clyne is a wildcard we don’t know how he will return after this mystery injury.

No doubt right back is down the list on positions that need to be filled.
    Bellerin has nothing but pace.

Been awful for over a year.

I wouldn't take him on a free transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Knex. wrote: »
    Premier League table since Spurs 4-1 Liverpool on October 22nd:

1. Man City - 50 points
    2. Liverpool - 47 points
    3. Man Utd- 39 points
    4. Spurs - 38 points
    5. Chelsea - 37 points
    6. Arsenal - 29 points

Also scored the most (54) and conceded the 2nd fewest goals (16) since then.

Back then it was no chance of Liverpool getting top 4. Klopp is a fraud. Hasn't improved Liverpool. He is a one trick pony and that trick doesn't work anymore. He should be under pressure for his job. The front four not all its cracked up to be. Fun times .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

We're on a good run but some people remain unconvinced. I saw a small clip of Keane and Dixon (I expect they're not fans) talking about Liverpool. Keane said Coutinhos only gone a few months and we need to see if the transfer damages them in the long term. Dixon said they always have a Swansea or West Brom result in them.
    Still though it's great to bask in all the positivity in here....... until the next bad result.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement