Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

5starpool wrote: »
    Klopp won't play as weakened a side as he probably should. Ings, Solanke, Moreno, Klavan, Lallana, Gomez should all start, but I don't know if they all will.

He won't want to lose this game so I reckon we'll see a strong side with the aim of taking them off early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Myself, I would go with

Karius
    TAA Matip VVD Moreno
    Milner Lallana Henderson
    Ox Solanke Mane

Players who need games will get games. Keep Mane playing as he is playing himself into form. Rotation but still keeping it strong IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

FitzShane wrote: »
    Myself, I would go with

Karius
    TAA Matip VVD Moreno
    Milner Lallana Henderson
    Ox Solanke Mane

Players who need games will get games. Keep Mane playing as he is playing himself into form. Rotation but still keeping it strong IMO.

I'd be quite similar to this but maybe leaving out TAA for Gomez as I'd want TAA in top shape for the weekend if possible.

I'd hope to see Solanke and/or Ings play - would really like to see what they could do over 90 minutes in a strong side.

It's hard to get a read of where either player is when they are restricted to 10 minutes at the end of a dead rubber or U23 games. The only time they tend to play full games is as part of a weakened side in a cup too so they don't feel the benefit of having in-form players around them too.

So...

Karius
    Gomez -- Matip -- Van Dijk -- Moreno
    Milner -- Henderson -- Lallana
    Oxlade Chamberlain -- Solanke -- Mané

Seems odd that before the first leg, I was nervously hoping for a narrow win or a score draw and now I'm debating how many players we can leave out!!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    He won't want to lose this game so I reckon we'll see a strong side with the aim of taking them off early.

I hope his comments are in relation to playing a strong team hut one that we really know is resting players. We should play a front 3 of Lallana, ings and Solanke, but we won't. Mane will likely start, maybe Firmino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Heads up TV 3 are showing the PSG vs Madrid game.

The Liverpool game is on Eir Sports 2 & BT Sports 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I'd start Migs, Moreno, Gomez, Matip, Wij, Ings and Lallana. It's a dead rubber.
    But he won't play a second team - I hope he doesn't regret it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Anyone have any idea what sort of side Porto are going to play tonight?

Liverpool? They're pretty good. Salah's the danger man but if Firmino's on song they're a joy to behold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If United play like this at the weekend we'll tear then a new one.
    Unfortunately our match will be a different kettle of fish for them though.

the Palace game is irrelevant when it comes to the weekend game.

they will hand us the ball and ask us to break down their wall, and they will try to counter directly, at pace from deep. the Palace game saw them have the ball far more than you'll see on Saturday, so it'll be an utterly different game, that will play to entirely different Mourinho attributes. we're too good at counter pressing, and Mourinho is too cautious in these games to allow anything else.

you will not see Firmino with the space Benteke had, or Salah with the space Townsend had on the edge of the box for the 1st last night. it just wont happen as Matic will be stuck to his CBs.

we need to score early, or else it is going to be a long game, and right down their street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Jose has a huge decision on Saturday about Pogba,
    if he plays him on the left of midfield , Salah and OX will exploit the space he always leaves behind him .,It would be suicide with Young as there left back,
    I think he may go 3 centre backs with wing backs ,

• Advertisement

if he plays him on the left of midfield , Salah and OX will exploit the space he always leaves behind him .,It would be suicide with Young as there left back,

We don't have any other midfielders to play unless Carrick starts his first league game of the season, he could drop pogba and play 4231 with lingard at no 10

We don't have any other midfielders to play unless Carrick starts his first league game of the season,  he could drop pogba and play 4231 with lingard at no 10
    I can't see him dropping him Pogba is still a huge presence and is needed in these big games,
    I think he will rejig the formation to take him away from the left,
    His front players will be interesting, I wouldn't be surprised to see Rashford ( to get at Trent) or Mata  (for his calmness)  start,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

We have played with a diamond the last two matches, one was incredibly effective in the Chelsea game when the opposition was better and the second was a terrible first half against palace as they played too far forward..

I do think in a way 352 is the same with the FB/WB creating the width except we were seeing Matic fall back into the backline, stick another defender in there and that allows matic and Pogba to break forward on the counter. I reckon we will set up with 3421 like this

Lukaku
    Sanchez-Lingard
    Young-Pogba-Matic-Valencia
    Bailly-Smalling-lindelof
    DDG

I do think we will keep it tight and compact and have the front three do a lot of donkey work as they can run and run and run..

If we don’t we will be playing to yer strengths and ye could kill us with the quick transitions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

5starpool wrote: »
    Klopp won't play as weakened a side as he probably should. Ings, Solanke, Moreno, Klavan, Lallana, Gomez should all start, but I don't know if they all will.

Pretty much last game this season where he can rest players. I would hope he takes the opportunity to do so. Nothing to be gained by starting Salah, Firmino, etc.

astradave wrote: »
    We have played with a diamond the last two matches, one was incredibly effective in the Chelsea game when the opposition was better and the second was a terrible first half against palace as they played too far forward..

I do think in a way 352 is the same with the FB/WB creating the width except we were seeing Matic fall back into the backline, stick another defender in there and that allows matic and Pogba to break forward on the counter. I reckon we will set up with 3421 like this

Lukaku
    Sanchez-Lingard
    Young-Pogba-Matic-Valencia
    Bailly-Smalling-lindelof
    DDG

I do think we will keep it tight and compact and have the front three do a lot of donkey work as they can run and run and run..

If we don’t we will be playing to yer strengths and ye could kill us with the quick transitions
    The key to beating Liverpool is do NOT let our midfielder get between your midfield and Defence with the ball near the D,
    On Saturday Newcastle doing great then a bad bounce and OX got between the midfield and defence and bang it was 1-0
    There is to much good movement to stop us when we get in there and centre back has to step forward, it vital for United to keep us passing side ways and not allow any space in front of the centre backs,
    Its the one huge thing Liverpool miss from Cou ,he was our best player at unlocking that space for his team mates, He could find a ball to someone in there or get in there himself for a pass or even get in there and score from the edge of the box,
    Its tuff to stop as if you stop our midfield getting in there you always have Bobby dropping into that whole to release Mane and Salah, its the most vital part of the pitch when you play Liverpool

Salah will want to play tonight as he is in the running for the European Golden Boot and this might be a game to add to his total.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Saw these comments in a thread over on Reddit.
    I think most people who grew up in the 80s liked us, we were the dominant force in Europe
    "Liked" us might be a bit strong. We were sort of hated for our negative tactics, especially a perceived over-use of the backpass (remember the keeper could pick it up), and we were more like an efficient and ruthless side than a beautiful one. But we were feared and envied.

Is the latter one true? You hear a lot about Liverpool's famed style of play, the pass and move. And the team with Barnes, Aldridge and Rush were lauded. But for most of the 80s, were Liverpool more seen as just ruthlessly effective?

Knex. wrote: »
    I think most people who grew up in the 80s liked us, we were the dominant force in Europe
    "Liked" us might be a bit strong. We were sort of hated for our negative tactics, especially a perceived over-use of the backpass (remember the keeper could pick it up), and we were more like an efficient and ruthless side than a beautiful one. But we were feared and envied.

Is the latter one true? You hear a lot about Liverpool's famed style of play, the pass and move. And the team with Barnes, Aldridge and Rush were lauded. But for most of the 80s, were Liverpool more seen as just ruthlessly effective?
    Talking about teams before Barnes, Aldridge Rush, they where around when we where banned from Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Talking about teams before Barnes, Aldridge Rush, they where around when we where banned from Europe

Yeah, but I'm wondering if the consensus that Liverpool played good football in the past, that I'm aware of from UK and Ireland media/fans, if that came primarily because of the Barnes era, or if it was genuinely a thing before that with Dalglish, Souness, Rush et all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Salah will want to play tonight as he is in the running for the European Golden Boot and this might be a game to add to his total.

That would be a very dumb reason to play him, I hope Klopp wouldn't factor that into his thinking. It's a team game, it's not all about Salah, for the good of the team and the player he really should be rested tonight. Imagine if he plays tonight and picked up an injury it would be infuriating and so needless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

They were just seen as ruthless. Battle hardened but also possessed some beautiful players in their prime. Spine of the team was immense, Hansen was a glorious bastard with unrivalled skills in possession, Souness was the general and Dalglish/Rush were like a pair of Mo Salah's unleashed upon the quivering masses!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Pretty much last game this season where he can rest players. I would hope he takes the opportunity to do so. Nothing to be gained by starting Salah, Firmino, etc.

Klopp is nothing if not stubborn and pig headed. I expect about 4-5 changes. Moreno, Gomez, Milner, Lallana and one of Ings/Solanke. That will be all probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I wouldn't say Liverpool were hated for negative tactics but they were very capable of going to difficult away games, in the league and Europe and keeping possession in order to silence the home crowd and frustrate the opposition and then sneak an invaluable 1-0 win.
    There European cup final win in 81 against Real Madrid is a great example of this.

The backpass was endemic in the game then, used by all sides and was not just a Liverpool tactic. That's why it was eventually banned.

However, Liverpool were also exciting and had flair players, Dalglish, Rush etc.

The Barnes, Beardsley & Aldridge team were unfortunately banned fromo Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I expect Firmino to be rested, maybe Mane too. Salah to start and get 60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

SlickRic wrote: »
    I expect Firmino to be rested, maybe Mane too. Salah to start and get 60.

Even for him that's a lot of goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

SlickRic wrote: »
    Salah to start and get 60.

I assume you mean 60 goals :confused:

Curtis Jones in the squad tonight apparently.

That's well deserved. He's been way ahead of his U19 team-mates, looks a solid fit at U23 already. In the absence of Wilson, and with Woodburn having been sick, he's the next that deserves a shot...reminds me of Stevie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Firmino is second highest scorer in CL this season. He too will want to play for that reason alone. We could get 5 more goals with a strong side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That would be awesome hopefully we'll be 4-0 up at halftime to give him and Moreno a run out! :p

Firmino is second highest scorer in CL this season. He too will want to play for that reason alone. We could get 5 more goals with a strong side.

That doubt that would cross Klopp's mind when picking the team and would be a very stupid reason to start him I would imagine a few would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

And not a moment too soon by the looks of it. The lad can seriously benefit from working with Can on improvements in the hair game

thumb_46496_misc_general_500.jpeg

• x43r0 wrote: »
    And not a moment too soon by the looks of it. The lad can seriously benefit from working with Can on improvements in the hair game

The Liverpool Fellaini?
    I'm leaving it open for you lads....

"Eh eh, calm down, calm down!!"

He needs a tash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

He looks like a fcuking muffin! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Craig pawson is the ref for the united game

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

That's one of them 'Meet Me Outside McDonalds' haircuts. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

That chap needs a bad 'tache and a shell suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The Liverpool Fellaini?

No this lad does not have the volume of Fellaini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The Liverpool Fellaini?

No, he's tucking his elbows in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

thumb_46496_misc_general_500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

He looks ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. Stupid face too.

2/10

• Grayditch wrote: »
    No, he's tucking his elbows in.

Touche

Or should I say tache

You watch him change in the next year as his profile increases. Trent had a mini-afro himself, but has a tidy sb&s now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Some stats from the Beeb
    Liverpool were one of three unbeaten teams in this season's Champions League group stages, alongside Barcelona and Tottenham.

Liverpool have scored more goals than any other team in this season's Champions League (28), including 25 in the past five games. Only Bayern Munich (277) have made more touches inside the opposition box than Klopp's team (271).

Liverpool's 5-0 victory over Porto in the first leg was the biggest away win by an English side in the knockout stages of the Champions League.

James Milner has delivered six assists in this season's Champions League, more than any other player. He's only the third player to reach that total in a Champions League campaign over the past five seasons after Neymar (eight in 2016-17) and Ousmane Dembele (six in 2016-17).

Sadio Mane has scored six goals in his past three Champions League games, including a hat-trick in the first leg against Porto.

• Advertisement

On the March again tonight.

CL semi final is possible and who knows after that. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Klopp won't want to lose and either will the players but what really counts as changes for this team? I'd say at this stage of the season it's if Karius, VVD, Robertson, Can and the front three get taken out. Henderson seems to be having his time managed so he's fit for the more important games so he'll sit this one.

Matip, Gomez, Milner and Gini getting rotated in after the previous game is something that has been happening all season so doesn't really count. If we see Klaven, Lallana, Solanke, and Ings getting a run out that would count as changes to me.

For fitness he might want to get time into Moreno, Lallana and possibly Clyne if he's fit enough for 60/70.

I'll go for

Karius

Gomez - Matip - VVD - Moreno

Gini - Milner - Lallana

Ox - Firmino - Mane

Mane and Ox can switch sides if you want Mane on the right. Take off Mane and Firmino and who ever the third midfielder will be with Can and Henderson on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

x43r0 wrote: »

Looks more like Eraserhead to me.

CHVpBXp.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

On the March again tonight.

CL semi final is possible and who knows after that. ;)

Lets see who Liverpool get in the Quarter Final 1st assuming they do not implode tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Craig pawson is the ref for the united game

Just don't touch a player in the box if his reffing of the Everton game is anything to go by

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement