Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock & Road

Options
  • 01-02-2018 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭

Anyone done this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

10k, half or full?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Half is a fair course through the Burren, few drags but nothing major. Be hopeful of a calm day, it’s exposed to the elements and when the wind blows there you feel the full extent of it. Nice start/finish down by the pier in Kinvara.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

^^^
    +1.....
    Nice course and well organised race. Will do the half again this year.
    It's one of those races that I'd pencil in at the start of the year as it ticks a lot of the boxes for me anyway...

1st year for the full. I've seen the route and looks ok, few rolling hills(nothing major) if that bothers you. I may run the full in future...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

10k, half or full?

Half :)
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Half is a fair course through the Burren, few drags but nothing major. Be hopeful of a calm day, it’s exposed to the elements and when the wind blows there you feel the full extent of it. Nice start/finish down by the pier in Kinvara.

Thanks. Sounds reasonable.
    martyboy48 wrote: »
    ^^^
    +1.....
    Nice course and well organised race. Will do the half again this year.
    It's one of those races that I'd pencil in at the start of the year as it ticks a lot of the boxes for me anyway...

1st year for the full. I've seen the route and looks ok, few rolling hills(nothing major) if that bothers you. I may run the full in future...

Yeah i thought it'd be a good one to kick off the year and get me back into the routine of doing longer runs which have fallen by the wayside since dcm.

Thanks y'all :cool:

Was chatting to a buddy of mine today who did the half last year so I sounded it out for you haha. he said the first 4 or five miles are a bit of a drag (not hilly but more of a constant drag). Then it turns onto exposed country roads for a few miles. I think last year for him had particularly harsh wind. So its fairly open to the elements in places. He enjoyed it. Not a place to be knocking chunks off your pb but a nice scenic route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

I’ve done the 10k a couple of times. Very well organised race. Enjoyed it both times.

Signed up for the full this year. My first full - looking forward to it!

Was chatting to a buddy of mine today who did the half last year so I sounded it out for you haha. he said the first 4 or five miles are a bit of a drag (not hilly but more of a constant drag). Then it turns onto exposed country roads for a few miles. I think last year for him had particularly harsh wind. So its fairly open to the elements in places. He enjoyed it. Not a place to be knocking chunks off your pb but a nice scenic route.

I'll settle for a few seconds of a pb :p

Thanks, sounds like it could go either way on the day depending on the conditions, i don't mind getting wet but running into the wind wouldn't be my choice :eek:

vinnycoyne wrote: »
    I’ve done the 10k a couple of times. Very well organised race. Enjoyed it both times.

Signed up for the full this year. My first full - looking forward to it!

How's the training going? Hard time of year to train for a full i'd say?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Did the half last year.

It's well organised and the route is scenic. Was windy last year alright and it is exposed. I would recommend.

Car Parking a little chaotic if I remember well.

echancrure wrote: »
    Did the half last year.

It's well organised and the route is scenic. Was windy last year alright and it is exposed. I would recommend.

Car Parking a little chaotic if I remember well.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

ariana` wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm looking forward to it now.

T-shirt is normally excellent to and long sleeved which is useful training in an Irish winter.

• Advertisement

How's the training going? Hard time of year to train for a full i'd say?

It's been pretty grim at times - wind, rain, snow, the works. I'm hoping it'll have me prepared for any weather on the day! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

flying in for the full, can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

I've done the 10k a couple of times now, hoping to run again this year. Can't comment on the half, the 10k is a bumpy and windy course but there is something about racing around the Burren and finishing in Kinvara...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

My favourite ever half :) fantastic course, can be windy yes but very well organised and even though it broke me it's where my PB lies. I'd go back and do this again sometime in the future for sure.

It's been pretty grim at times - wind, rain, snow, the works. I'm hoping it'll have me prepared for any weather on the day! :pac:
    Yes absolutely, you will be well prepared :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

The wind last year was absolutely fierce. I somehow managed to make up the time after the turn though and got a PB out of the half. Will be going back this year, hoping for slightly less windy conditions! Brilliant course, and fantastically organised

This is getting close now :eek:

Any tips from past competitors on pacing for this? I presume the pacers run even splits - anyone run with a pace group here?

I'm doing the half and hoping for 1:59:59 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Noooooooo!

Any recommendations for alternative full marathons in March? Have training, will travel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Noooooooo!

Any recommendations for alternative full marathons in March? Have training, will travel...

Brighton, early April an option. still spots from what i can see

• Advertisement

vinnycoyne wrote:

Tralee on the 18th

Noooooooo!

I hope you find something else suitable, do let us know. I'm gutted at missing the HM so i can't imagine after all the training for a full.

I hope you find something else suitable, do let us know. I'm gutted at missing the HM so i can't imagine after all the training for a full.

Thanks! I've just signed up for the full in Tralee. :)

Thanks! I've just signed up for the full in Tralee. :)

Out of interest, how will you manage the next 2 week's training - repeat of the last 2 weeks??

Out of interest, how will you manage the next 2 week's training - repeat of the last 2 weeks??

I have a sneaking suspicion you're tempted by Tralee ;)

I have a sneaking suspicion you're tempted by Tralee ;)

Tempted but it's not really realistic. There's one in Mullingar on the 17th also but that is also not very likely. I'll have to chat with OH, with the kids it's not so easy to do things at short notice as their very active social lives have to be considered :cool:

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. Repeat the last two taper weeks, perhaps with a slightly longer long run this weekend (weather permitting, of course!).

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. Repeat the last two taper weeks, perhaps with a slightly longer long run this weekend (weather permitting, of course!).

Sounds wise. Best of luck with it, i hope it goes well for you.

Sounds wise. Best of luck with it, i hope it goes well for you.

Cheers - you too! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

There's a marathon on the Great Western Greenway on March 24. Running
    Achill to Westport with a bus from Westport to the start. Also a half and an Ultra. First time it's been on so I know nothing of the organisers. Entries close on Sunday and I'm thinking of signing up for the full as I'm a local and train on the course.
    www.atlanticseries.ie

Advertisement