Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping

Options
  • 01-02-2018 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

I think there was one before but I’d be interested to know how people do on shopping weekly budgets?

We are three. Dad, Mum and Three year old. Weekly shop including meat comes from Aldi at 75e. There is also a miscellaneous 25 a week which covers the odd butchers visit to stock the freezer, night nappies (three year old is trained but not night time) and milk/bread half way through the week. So about 100 a week for the three of us. Does six dinners a week and most lunches.

Toddler gets lunch/dinner in childminder though I provide his playschool lunch and he usually nibbles again with us

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

About 120 for a family of 5, used to do Aldi but moved to Dunnes when they started the 10 Euro off vouchers.

We don’t buy prepared meals or sauces etc. So it’s genreally meat, fish , poultry , fruit, veg, flour , eggs and spices ( but we get them in bulk from Asian shops)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

50 - 70 euros a week for a family of three and two pets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

€100 for a family of 2 adults, 2 kids, cat & a dog.
    €80 in Dunnes (€100 worth of shopping minus €20 voucher)
    €20 in Lidl.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

120-140 for family of four.Includes all meals for a week, nappies, meat etc.Online shopping with Supervalu, plenty of coupons available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Around €160 every 10 days in dunnes (that’s AFTER) the vouchers, but I do have 2 kids in nappies, and we eat out very little.
    I tried switching to aldi, but found I was having to go to dunnes afterwards for some brands for fussy OH.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I don't do a weekly shop but spend about 700pm on food for 1-2 adults,4 kids and a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

We are about 90 euro in Aldi and another 15-20 on meat and fish from butcher and van. Two adults and two babies in nappies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Last few weeks have been 200+ in Dunnes.

2 adults, 4 children.

We previously got by on 150-160 a week.

I think the Dunnes 10 vouchers are a false economy. I think they are just jacking up their prices to offset the voucher savings.

1 particular example, we bought an air fryer in Currys for 79.99. I'd seen it Dunnes the week previously for 99.99. It's now 119.99 about three weeks later.

Have started shifting to Aldi for fruit and milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I’ve never understood why people shop in Dunnes. It’s a pure rip-off.

As is our local SuperValu, but I know their prices are lower in the country.

I’ve never understood why people shop in Dunnes. It’s a pure rip-off.

As is our local SuperValu, but I know their prices are lower in the country.
    With the 10 % voucher you are getting 20% off so it works out good. Lately it’s being cheaper than Aldi and Lidl.
    Just like you do in Aldi and Lidl avoid the premium brands.

• Advertisement

ifElseThen wrote: »

1 particular example, we bought an air fryer in Currys for 79.99. I'd seen it Dunnes the week previously for 99.99. It's now 119.99 about three weeks later.

Have started shifting to Aldi for fruit and milk.
    In fairness I think an electronics shop would charge more for groceries than a grocery store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Yeah that's fair enough, it was the €20 jump in the couple of weeks was a bit unbelievable.

ifElseThen wrote: »
    Yeah that's fair enough, it was the €20 jump in the couple of weeks was a bit unbelievable.
    Not unbelievable at all. Suppliers often run promotions. Look at the way Nespresso machines and Dyson keep changing prices

Advertisement