Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Excessive Political Correctness

• 01-02-2018 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭

In this age of PC ness,
    Why are we still seeing adverts showing lots of skin from Prettylittlethings.com?

Even the name is provocative.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

In this age of PC ness,
    Why are we still seeing adverts showing lots of skin from Prettylittlethings.com?

Uglyhugebástards.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

In this age of PC ness,

Because many, many young ladies like their clothes and to be appreciated by the male of the species.

Doesn't matter a fcuk what certain sections of the media and certain types of twitter users would prefer the rest of us believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Because many, many young ladies like their clothes and to be appreciated by the male of the species.

Doesn't matter a fcuk what certain sections of the media and certain types of twitter users would prefer the rest of us believe.

My sentiments too,
    But sooooo much trouble over using images of women, i wonder when we will be enforced to call them by some other term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I do feel there is a urban/rural decide with issues. It's not the people from rural areas aren't accepting there just not politically correct as people from more urban area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

provocative.

What the ****?

I do feel there is a urban/rural decide with issues. It's not the people from rural areas aren't accepting there just not politically correct as people from more urban area.

WHAT THE ****?

**head explodes

• Advertisement

Snotty wrote: »

WHAT THE ****?

**head explodes

I think people always knew this existed however I find some people really have there heads in the clouds about it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's that Father Ted episode. He would never have done a Chinaman impression if he had known there were Chinese people there to see him

If you live in a big city or work in a big workplace where you are surrounded by people of all different backgrounds, sexual preference and identity, and with disabilities both visible and invisible, a harmless joke can be overheard by someone who is the butt of that joke and might take offense by it.

That said, there are a whole load of people out there who are on a mission to take offense to things deliberately that are not meant to be offensive.

Context is everything. Most people will remember being at school and being singled out for something at some time when they were a bit different, whether it's because they had to wear braces, or glasses, or because they were taller or shorter than everyone else, or skinny, or overweight, or had acne, or an unpopular haircut... The people who taunted their peers on the school playgrounds have mostly grown out of that kind of thing, but there are a small number of people who never matured and still think it is ok to victimize others for being different to them.
    These people are otherwise known as 'Total Dicks'

For the average person, we might like offensive jokes or edgy humour because it's fun to push the boundaries of socially acceptable discourse, but as long as it's done in a way that recognises that a line has been crossed for comic effect, and it's not an actual slur on anyone's character or identity, then I don't have any problem with that, as long as one isn't a total hypocrite and is able to take a joke that targets them, or something they hold dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Cos we're all horny. Now go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I think people always knew this existed however I find some people really have there heads in the clouds about it now.

You mean that rural people tend to have lower bull**** tolerance?
    And don't call a spade an 'earth and or **** moving device'?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

In this age of PC ness,

There is an "OFF" switch on most televisions. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

This doesn’t make any sense at all to me.

splinter65 wrote: »
    This doesn’t make any sense at all to me.

Take for instance in a pub in my town a good bit of homophobic language would be used at times. Whilst a gay man is there. This guy get on with these men and they'd have supported the marriage referendum.
    When I was in college/urban areas if anybody acted like this they'd have being tears/fights/angry facebook posts if anything remotely like this happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Take for instance in a pub in my town a good bit of homophobic language would be used at times. Whilst a gay man is there. This guy get on with these men and they'd have supported the marriage referendum.

Cause they have a gay mate that they'd like to see happy, makes sense no?
    Because he's their mate they feel they can have a bit of a laugh with him and likely he with them.

And because the gay bloke was their mate he in turn didn't get offended by something that he could see the funny side of.

Ah...the good old days before people started getting 'offended' by everything and believing there is such a thing as 'the right never to be offended'.

Advertisement