Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler died. Who will not rob me on replacement?

• 01-02-2018 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

Fixed boiler few weeks ago, but we were told that it only has a year or two left of life in it. Unfortunately it managed only 2 weeks.
    Who would be best and cheapest to contact to get it replaced in Limerick city.

Any brands of boilers to avoid or to look for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Fixed boiler few weeks ago, but we were told that it only has a year or two left of life in it. Unfortunately it managed only 2 weeks.

I had the boiler doctor out to service mine a few times and he seems like a good honest guy. Had an awful experience with a guy called John from Limerick Boiler Services. PM for details but all I'll say is the service bordered on criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Kieran Price & sons, used him the last couple of years for services, decent chap, not the kind to relieve you of your cash unless absolutely necessary, chased him for about two weeks just to pay him for a job he did for me.

You'll be looking at 2k upwards for a replacement gas boiler I'd say, I'm assuming gas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Kieran Price & sons, used him the last couple of years for services, decent chap, not the kind to relieve you of your cash unless absolutely necessary, chased him for about two weeks just to pay him for a job he did for me.

You'll be looking at 2k upwards for a replacement gas boiler I'd say, I'm assuming gas?

Gas boilers are a bit like diesel cars. Cheap to run but they break down every year and cost you a fortune to fix. Ironic i know but the old oil (diesel) boilers are the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

jsd1004 wrote: »
    Gas boilers are a bit like diesel cars. Cheap to run but they break down every year and cost you a fortune to fix. Ironic i know but the old oil (diesel) boilers are the best.

Well my current gas boiler is going since 1997/98 so not too bad, usually an annual service is enough but the folks have an oil boiler that's donkeys years old, probably 40 years at least that's still going so some truth in what you say but not completely true, a lot of people just don't service them which doesn't help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Well my current gas boiler is going since 1997/98 so not too bad, usually an annual service is enough but the folks have an oil boiler that's donkeys years old, probably 40 years at least that's still going so some truth in what you say but not completely true, a lot of people just don't service them which doesn't help

They were the good ones..its the new combi. condensor ones that break down every year..my oil one has not been serviced in 30 years (as far as i know) and is still going strong. And if it blows up it is 300 euro for a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

jsd1004 wrote: »
    They were the good ones..its the new combi. condensor ones that break down every year..my oil one has not been serviced in 30 years (as far as i know) and is still going strong. And if it blows up it is 300 euro for a new one.

My combi condensor has been in 5 years without any issue. Someones telling you porkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Give Niall a ring. Installed a combi boiler for me 5 years ago and I haven't had an ounce of bother with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

++ Kieran Price
    http://www.rgii.ie/home/kieran-price-and-sons.4587.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Combis do tend to have more issues as they've more mechanical parts and sensors. They're very handy though as you don't need a hot water cylinder & immersion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

zulutango wrote: »
    Combis do tend to have more issues as they've more mechanical parts and sensors. They're very handy though as you don't need a hot water cylinder & immersion.

Is a combi boiler gas only?

• Advertisement

Is a combi boiler gas only?

No, you can get oil versions. I've only ever come across gas ones though. Oil is on the way out in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭theblackstuff

Jonathan at Profesional Plumbing Solution installed my replacement boiler about 7 years ago, no bother with it since, i get them to service it aswell, happy with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Cheers everyone. Got good few contacts now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

What's the ballpark cost of a gas boiler for a 3 bed semi. Have a feeling I'm going to need a new one

2k - 2.5k supplied and installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Cheers everyone. Got good few contacts now.

Best of luck with it. Don't be afraid to haggle either.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Are these prices with a grant attached? Got mine serviced recently by Bord Gais. Guy was saying I'd probably need a new one within the next few years but wait until it dies. Must start budgeting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

The grant requires a lot of extra work to be done. Insulation and zoned heating etc. You won't see any savings on the upfront cost. Also when considering price check warranty. You can get a 10 year warranty on some boilers.

Advertisement