Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"I've got no filter"

• 01-02-2018 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭
    °°°°°

In an age where men can do nothing right, we've reached a number of strange new societal norms, one that's been getting up my nose for a while is the notion of women(and occasionally men also) being able to be as loutish and insulting as they please as long as they qualify their inconsiderate behaviour by spouting an inane line such as "I can't help myself, I've got no filter at all,that's just me".

I've heard a lot of this recently, one woman in my job picks on people at will, making horrible comments about people's appearance and assumptions about their sexuality etc but it's all OK because she's "sassy" and has "no filter", good for her.

As a man I know that were I to indulge in this type of behaviour, filter or no filter I would be hauled up I to a disciplinary meeting for my trouble and outside of work I'd most likely have my head kicked in.

I'm sure plenty of posters here have encountered this type of behaviour, have you ever seen one of these people get their comeuppance? Or do you know one who is still riding roughshod over everyone they meet?

Glazers Out!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

nullzero wrote: »
    In an age where men can do nothing right

I find that insulting, have you no filter? :eek:

I'm only messing with you OP, but the kind of person that has to tell people they have no filter, is usually the person who is the most conscious about what they're saying. It's the people who have no filter, and don't know that they have no filter, are problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I've heard a lot of this recently, one woman in my job picks on people at will, making horrible comments about people's appearance and assumptions about their sexuality etc but it's all OK because she's "sassy" and has "no filter", good for her.

OK according to who? Have you reported her to HR and been told it's ok because she is sassy? I'd take this further if I were you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I find that insulting, have you no filter? :eek:

I'm only messing with you OP, but the kind of person that has to tell people they have no filter, is usually the person who is the most conscious about what they're saying. It's the people who have no filter, and don't know that they have no filter, are problematic.

I think that the first group you mentioned are worse as they are knowingly acting that way and using the "no filter" idea as an excuse to indulge themselves.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

I ate five chocolate chip cookies and an entire carton of coconut ice cream cause I'm sassy and have no filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

#nofilter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I find that insulting, have you no filter?

I'm outraged that you are insulted! :)

°°°°°

OK according to who? Have you reported her to HR and been told it's ok because she is sassy? I'd take this further if I were you.

Your name is apt, I would but I'm not there a huge amount of time so not looking to rock the boat, a cop out if ever you heard one I'm sure.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Why not tell this woman to shut her fcuking gob and mind her own business?

Not just that but then walk straight to HR as a tactical move and claim "I've had it with Kate, I just told her to fcuk off she keeps making all these inappropriate remarks to me"

That way you make a show of her and put her in her place and also not only cover yourself in time but also look like she's you so stressed she's an awful bitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭rtron

Your clearly racist against people with no filter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Check yourself. Check your filter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Also ''I don't mince my words and ''I don't suffer fools''. People who never developed an bit of diplomacy or tact and are proud of it because they have no conscience. I know a woman who said ''I hate this 'sensitivity' other women are always on about.''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think that the first group you mentioned are worse as they are knowingly acting that way and using the "no filter" idea as an excuse to indulge themselves.

The first group can be challenged on their behaviour though, the second group there's no point as they won't get why they're being challenged and will get aggressive about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

koumi wrote: »
    I ate five chocolate chip cookies and an entire carton of coconut ice cream cause I'm sassy and have no filter.

oh no?! Poor baby, you had a snaccident.

U OK HUN?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

wexie wrote: »
    oh no?! Poor baby, you had a snaccident.

U OK HUN?
    be fine after a couple of cups of peppermint tea, tnx hun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Personally I adore people like this, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

#Jesuissassy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Kinda depends for me, I actually know someone who just says it as she sees it, not in a mean or offensive way just calls a spade a spade and a bellend a bellend. She's great in a Dr Cox kinda way. (she also doesn't make any apologies about it and just is who she is.

I also know someone who actually uses the whole 'no filter' thing just to be a bit of a douche....not so great.

°°°°°

wexie wrote: »
    Kinda depends for me, I actually know someone who just says it as she sees it, not in a mean or offensive way just calls a spade a spade and a bellend a bellend. She's great in a Dr Cox kinda way. (she also doesn't make any apologies about it and just is who she is.

I also know someone who actually uses the whole 'no filter' thing just to be a bit of a douche....not so great.

Basically, being a self aware cretin still leaves you with being a cretin which isn't something to be celebrated.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

"I've got no filter"

"Here, I've got loads, there's heaps in the big boxes of baccy."

I find the people that state grand things about themselves to be arseholes.

"I've got no filter," No, you're a tit.

"I'm great craic," No, you're a tit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

mark_jmc wrote: »
    #Jesuissassy

#Jesuisfilter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

OP you big dirty queer....
    I have no filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

iv seen people like this a few times. usually women . they feel they can say whatever they want.
    from the few I have seen is that those people are very easily offended when someone is critical of them . they can say all kinds of insulting stuff about someone but as soon as someone points out a minor but true criticism all the toys come out of the pram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Nothing new about this, I'd lump it in with the "I just tell it like it is" and "I'm too honest" brigade. Usually attention-seekers who love getting a rise out of people and pride themselves on bringing drama to social situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Reminds me of Brendan Gleeson in The Guard. Anyway I always thought that was just a no makeup thing. Then there's the whole #meetoo shyte. It's hard to keep up at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

I blurt all sorts of crazy stuff out when in conversation with people... it's fun to just speak your mind.

More people should try it... it's really quite liberating. :D

Hopefully I never grow up, and become one of those boring "grown ups" carefully measuring everything they say! That's gotta be painfully tiresome to keep up 24/7... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Also ''I don't mince my words and ''I don't suffer fools''. People who never developed an bit of diplomacy or tact and are proud of it because they have no conscience. I know a woman who said ''I hate this 'sensitivity' other women are always on about.''

Don't forget "I tell it like it is/I'm a straight talker" = "I have no social skills."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I blurt all sorts of crazy stuff out when in conversation with people... it's fun to just speak your mind.

Hopefully I never grow up, and become one of those boring "grown ups" carefully measuring everything they say! That's gotta be painfully tiresome to keep up 24/7... :P

Not as tiresome as listening to your wackiness.

Not as tiresome as listening to your wackiness.

See... you spoke your mind.

Now, doesn't that feel damn good? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Don't forget "I tell it like it is/I'm a straight talker" = "I have no social skills."

Oh yes, that's familiar.

Nothing wrong with being able to get to the point or avoid excess sugar coating. Nothing good about being a thundering ape who has to articulate every negative opinion on everything and everyone. We could all do that if we were selfish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

i thought you meant those ridiculous looking snapchat filters that load of birds use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Bambi985 wrote: »
    Nothing new about this, I'd lump it in with the "I just tell it like it is" and "I'm too honest" brigade. Usually attention-seekers who love getting a rise out of people and pride themselves on bringing drama to social situations.

The same sort that tell you they are hilarious..... No love you don't say how funny you are... Others are supposed to tell you that... And they aren't doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Have you ever been “pulled” over any of these “liberating” spontaneous outbursts?

splinter65 wrote: »
    Have you ever been “pulled” over any of these “liberating” spontaneous outbursts?

Pulled? What kind of scenario would you be suggesting?

Pulled? What kind of scenario would you be suggesting?

I mean has anyone ever objected to any of your spontaneous outbursts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

I've worked with plenty of men who had no filter but you'd never hear them say that. Being loud obnoxious and crude was just the way they were.

TBH it depends on your own tolerance levels but next time she says I've no filter turn around and tell her that she has no manners either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Oh yes, that's familiar.

Nothing wrong with being able to get to the point or avoid excess sugar coating. Nothing good about being a thundering ape who has to articulate every negative opinion on everything and everyone. We could all do that if we were selfish.
    I wouldn't mind, but they are the very people with absolutely nothing of value to add to any conversation. The whole "tell it like it is" schtick is usually a mask for not having any worthy or informed opinion on anything.

mzungu wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind, but they are the very people with absolutely nothing of value to add to any conversation. The whole "tell it like it is" schtick is usually a mask for not having any worthy or informed opinion on anything.

Absolutely. “Oh I just opened my mouth and out it came hahahaha!” Is just a cover for abject stupidity coupled with an inability to keep the stupidity to yourself .

I mean has anyone ever objected to any of your spontaneous outbursts?

Rarely. I've had the occasional confrontation, but nothing too memorable!

Usually people just give "the look"... or perhaps a raised eyebrow etc. Then they probably realise that I'm a bit of a strange quirky person and move on! (well, that's an assumption on my part - but I think a solid one on experience)

Why? Would you be the type to voice your objections? (that might involve speaking your mind - careful, dangerous territory!) :pac:

Rarely. I've had the occasional confrontation, but nothing too memorable!

Usually people just give "the look"... or perhaps a raised eyebrow etc. Then they probably realise that I'm a bit of a strange quirky person and move on! (well, that's an assumption on my part - but I think a solid one on experience)

Why? Would you be the type to voice your objections? (that might involve speaking your mind - careful, dangerous territory!) :pac:

Strange and quirky is one thing, rude and inappropriate quite another.
    Strange and quirky can be interesting but can also be ignored.
    Rude and inappropriate is always challenged by me, at least.
    But my 53 years have shown me that most strange and quirky/rude and inappropriate people are careful to curtail their outbursts to situations where they WONT be challenged.
    So, not as spontaneous as one would suggest.
    There. That’s me speaking my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

It’s up there with “I’m just being honest”. Can’t say I’ve noticed a gender slant though, probably because it hasn’t happened enough for there to be a big enough sample size from which I can make a useful judgement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

mzungu wrote: »

Always strikes me as egotistical. “I tell it like it is” is basically saying “my opinion is the correct one”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I poured water into my brita jug and it came out dirty

I've got no filter

Strange and quirky is one thing, rude and inappropriate quite another.
    Strange and quirky can be interesting but can also be ignored.
    Rude and inappropriate is always challenged by me, at least.
    But my 53 years have shown me that most strange and quirky/rude and inappropriate people are careful to curtail their outbursts to situations where they WONT be challenged.
    So, not as spontaneous as one would suggest.
    There. That’s me speaking my mind.

Ah, so you consider those who speak their mind to be less brave than yourself? Interesting...

And we have others in this thread, who view it as some kind of automatic sign of lesser intelligence... (despite the fact that einstein, for example, was known for blurting out many strange random things during polite conversation. And often upset authorities with his opinions and comments)

Personally, I think there is a lot of jealousy directed towards people who feel confident enough to speak their mind in a relatively free manner! I think this resentment comes from a lack of understanding.

You see it very often with public figures like Trump, Katie Hopkins etc... although people claim that they are just stridently opposed to their particular viewpoints... I think there is something more to it than just that. I think they are also deeply resentful at the way some people feel confident enough to freely express their opinions, without worrying about the consequences too much!

Some people simply can't understand how anyone can do this, because it's such an alien thing to them. But instead of just accepting that different people have different personalities... they try to label them "ignorant" or "dumb" or "uncivilized" etc etc...

°°°°°

Ah, so you consider those who speak their mind to be less brave than yourself? Interesting...

And we have others in this thread, who view it as some kind of automatic sign of lesser intelligence... (despite the fact that einstein, for example, was known for blurting out many strange random things during polite conversation. And often upset authorities with his opinions and comments)

Personally, I think there is a lot of jealousy directed towards people who feel confident enough to speak their mind in a relatively free manner! I think this resentment comes from a lack of understanding.

You see it very often with public figures like Trump, Katie Hopkins etc... although people claim that they are just stridently opposed to their particular viewpoints... I think there is something more to it than just that. I think they are also deeply resentful at the way some people feel confident enough to freely express their opinions, without worrying about the consequences too much!

Some people simply can't understand how anyone can do this, because it's such an alien thing to them. But instead of just accepting that different people have different personalities... they try to label them "ignorant" or "dumb" or "uncivilized" etc etc...

I think this red herring of a "filter" is simply shorthand for how humans interact with each other, a part of the social compact essentially.

Ultimately, being courteous towards people does not exclude what you're describing, what I have a problem with is people who are in a calculated manner being abusive towards others and using "I have no filter" as a wand to wave to excuse their behaviour, which is in essence antisocial.

If you feel confident in expressing your opinions it doesn't make you obnoxious. I'm not concerned with extroverts, rather malignant narcissists, which are a different animal entirely from what you're describing.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

there is some truth in what you say. but most of the ignorant or uncivilised do is go past the line . they say what ever blows through their ears at that time. they don't care about others feelings and will insult someone for no reason

I would like to have some of their confidence or brazenness sometimes . sometimes there are things we should say but cant or just haven't the balls to say. sometimes you just need to stand up for yourself but cant

I know one woman who is a bit like this but uses her 'superpower for good not evil'. I have seen her twice not let someone else bully a co-worker. she let the bully cross the line then tore strips of him. really put him in his place. but never crosses the line

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Bambi985 wrote: »

And the laugh of it is, they're the self same people that have an absolute meltdown at the slightest criticism that gets thrown their way.

The, "If U can't handle me at my worst, U don't deserve me at my best" brigade, always make me feel like saying, bitch, your 'best' is absolutely no kind of compensation for the crap anybody who's spent five minutes in your glorious presence has had to endure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

This is definitely a problem we have with women.

Sort yourselves out women. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

picks on people at will, making horrible comments about people's appearance and assumptions about their sexuality etc

Charming.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TMI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

People are getting too soft, IMO.
    What's wrong with giving you're opinions?
    You don't have to agree with them.
    They don't have to agree with you, but it should make all think about it.

I'm getting sick of this whole soft people approach to life. Go to your safe place bs.. Just grow a pair.

• Advertisement
Advertisement