Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"I've got no filter"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

deco nate wrote: »
    People are getting too soft, IMO.

WELL I'M A VERY TOUGH MAN ME.

Except when it comes to spiders... and counting change in front of cashiers.. and public speaking.. and enclosed spaces.. and being stuck in traffic jams.. those things make me a bit nervous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

WELL I'M A VERY TOUGH MAN ME.

Except when it comes to spiders... and counting change in front of cashiers.. and public speaking.. and enclosed spaces.. and being stuck in traffic jams.. those things make me a bit nervous.
    Yea, well I'm glad I'm not a fecking snowflake. ;):)

It's really getting pathetic.

I can't call this thread out like I want to because ah has gone soft and bans are giving out too easy now.

Kinda shows this thread for what it is.....

Snowflakes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Criticism can be looked at and seen as either warranted or untrue.
    If it is true then the criticism is of benefit to you. You can act upon
    it and improve yourself. If criticism is untrue then better again you can
    ignore it. And be happy in the knowledge that the critic has a flawed and
    inaccurate perception and meter of the world they live in. And so is at a
    disadvantage to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Criticism can be looked at and seen as either warranted or untrue.
    If it is true then the criticism is of benefit to you. You can act upon
    it and improve yourself. If criticism is untrue then better again you can
    ignore it. And be happy in the knowledge that the critic has a flawed and
    inaccurate perception and meter of the world they live in. And so is at a
    disadvantage to you.

Will that is an exceptionally positive outlook. I'll try to remember that one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

It's the new "Well, I'm just being honest"

In other words: nothing's really changed; some people will always just be opinionated *****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Some people purposely cross the line with others. It's completely out of order and in some cases it seems they are doing it to get a reaction and will usually only do it with people where they think they can get away with it.

I'd take that over the other extreme, a passive aggressive person any day though which I think is more common and a real pain in the ass to deal with.

Thankfully most people are somewhere nicely inbetween.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

conorhal wrote: »
    And the laugh of it is, they're the self same people that have an absolute meltdown at the slightest criticism that gets thrown their way.

If they are then it's a possibility that they might have a condition like Aspergers Syndrome, (Albert Einstein is thought to have had it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

White straight men are to blame with their built in filter privilege.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

deco nate wrote: »
    People are getting too soft, IMO.
    What's wrong with giving you're opinions?
    You don't have to agree with them.
    They don't have to agree with you, but it should make all think about it.

I'm getting sick of this whole soft people approach to life. Go to your safe place bs.. Just grow a pair.

I have to agree, if you have problems with what someone says tell them. Some people are more opinionated than others, some are more offensive than others.

If op has a problem with a work colleague tell them out straight, if that doesn't work complain to HR. That's what they're for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

nullzero wrote: »
    I've heard a lot of this recently, one woman in my job picks on people at will, making horrible comments about people's appearance and assumptions about their sexuality etc but it's all OK because she's "sassy" and has "no filter", good for her.

And has this woman been reported to HR and reprimanded for her inappropriate behaviour. I would expect this woman to have been suspended at the very least. Or did someone in HR declare it "OK"? In which case, you need to take the matter further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If you're a straight guy* and you try online dating, you're going to run in to someone who thinks the following quote is profound:
    I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    If you see that ... run. It might sound reasonable at first glance, but you're looking at someone who is happy to accept her worst traits, and doesn't see any need to do anything about them. :eek:

* now I think about it, this could happen to lesbians too, I imagine.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

bnt wrote: »
    If you're a straight guy* and you try online dating, you're going to run in to someone who thinks the following quote is profound:

If you see that ... run. It might sound reasonable at first glance, but you're looking at someone who is happy to accept her worst traits, and doesn't see any need to do anything about them. :eek:

I think you're probably looking at someone who is fairly normal and stable but doesn't think critically at all and never thought about that quote, just shared it because they think it sounds good in some way, but that would still be offputting to me.

Imagine a man saying that to prospective girlfriends. ''Put up with his terrible mood swings and behaviour or you don't deserve him when he's in a good mood and being nice to people'' is how I read it.

I'd run very quickly, too.

An apparently normal well adjusted with no terrible emotional problems friend of mine shared something a meme that went like ''somedays I'm curled up in a ball on my bedroom floor all day..'
    So hard not to say what I was thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Haven't read through this thread, but in my experience, people who claim "I've got no filter" usually should just say "I'm a c*nt".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I think I ****ing have ****ing tourettes *****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I admire people that do this in a professional setting and call bullhsit out.
    But the clowns that get personal are just bullies and only get away with it as they're part of a clique or people let them away.

I've seen a few of them put back in their place over the years. I'm always more than happy to do it too if its warranted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

It ain't no badge of honour, it's just *bombasmo. I reckon the remark belongs in the 'wanker watch' thread and I just hear 'I'm a pseudo-sociopath'.

*Did I just make up a word??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

anna080 wrote: »
    #nofilter

I really thought the thread was going to be about this especially after the opening line was about modern society or whatever

and OP did you try report? I don't believe that she wouldn't be punished by HR for saying mean things about colleagues physical appearance just because she's a woman/sassy personality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

bnt wrote: »

Why could a gay guy not say something like this??? Ive heard plenty of gay guys that are like that quote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

It's the same as the "I just tell it like it is" crowd.

They're usually obnoxious people with obnoxious views and they think that qualifier will prevent people from challenging them.

They don't care who they insult, how bad their manners are or how rude they are, and they want others to think they're heroes for it. It doesn't, they're just obnoxious people with obnoxious opinions that they want to gas on about and don't want challenged.

They've no time for snowflakes or the PC brigade or any of that SJW nonsense, because they're legends and stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm only messing with you OP, but the kind of person that has to tell people they have no filter, is usually the person who is the most conscious about what they're saying. It's the people who have no filter, and don't know that they have no filter, are problematic.

I have a crappy filter. It's because of a condition. However i never actually say it to people. rather I try to watch what i say because only a dick wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

nullzero wrote: »
    In an age where men can do nothing right, we've reached a number of strange new societal norms, one that's been getting up my nose for a while is the notion of women(and occasionally men also) being able to be as loutish and insulting as they please as long as they qualify their inconsiderate behaviour by spouting an inane line such as "I can't help myself, I've got no filter at all,that's just me".

I've heard a lot of this recently, one woman in my job picks on people at will, making horrible comments about people's appearance and assumptions about their sexuality etc but it's all OK because she's "sassy" and has "no filter", good for her.

As a man I know that were I to indulge in this type of behaviour, filter or no filter I would be hauled up I to a disciplinary meeting for my trouble and outside of work I'd most likely have my head kicked in.

I'm sure plenty of posters here have encountered this type of behaviour, have you ever seen one of these people get their comeuppance? Or do you know one who is still riding roughshod over everyone they meet?

A lot of words to describe people whom are basically c**ts, OP, a few years back I used to work in an office and there was a young woman there whom was the epitome of what you describe in the second paragraph.

If you called such a person out or reported them, the ongoing focus of attention and topic of conversation would be YOU, these people know this 100% as extroverts in general are master psychologists at knowing social weather and how and where the wind blows in the social sphere, this is the whip hand they hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

In my old job there was someone who, in her words, "tells it like it is"

In the words of the rest of the office she was a c**t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

never heard of the "ive got no filter" defence , the response should be "you've got no class you mean"

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

wakka12 wrote: »
    Why could a gay guy not say something like this??? Ive heard plenty of gay guys that are like that quote
    I didn't say anyone couldn't, it's just that what gays have to deal with is outside my range of experience. :pac:

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

OK according to who? Have you reported her to HR and been told it's ok because she is sassy? I'd take this further if I were you.

"Id take this further" - Jezz can we all just not take life so serious?! Loosen up like, what is wrong with people? - Give it straight back to her or tell her to get lost, its simple.

No no, run to corporate mammy/daddy and tell them you're upset. Can we not take responsibly for our own dealings with people and just communicate like you would do outside the workspace?
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

The same sort that tell you they are hilarious..... No love you don't say how funny you are... Others are supposed to tell you that... And they aren't doing so.

Or these people.

Really anyone who makes some sort of declaration about what kind of person they are. STFU, I have eyes and ears and a brain, I'll figure it out myself.

Then again, I'm a very perceptive person.

I'd pull you up on that, but I'm far too nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Or these people.

Really anyone who makes some sort of declaration about what kind of person they are. STFU, I have eyes and ears and a brain, I'll figure it out myself.

Just recently I've been getting into praising myself a bit. More to myself than out loud, and not ''I'm fabulous'' but praising my own strong points. I used to have too much of a self deprecating sense of humour to the point where I started to believe it. I think it's a common Irish female thing.
    And I'm trying to set an example for a friend who constantly calls herself stupid and clumsy. She also gets irate when anyone suggests she might have been a bit daft about something, 'cause only she's allowed to say that and everyone's supposed to think it's cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Smcgie wrote: »
    "Id take this further" - Jezz can we all just not take life so serious?! Loosen up like, what is wrong with people? - Give it straight back to her or tell her to get lost, its simple.

No no, run to corporate mammy/daddy and tell them you're upset. Can we not take responsibly for our own dealings with people and just communicate like you would do outside the workspace?
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well generally with someone like the op describes if you tell it right back to them they get upset and have no issue going to HR. And when you try to defend yourself by saying they did it first they will look at the absence of complaints from you and you'll be the bad guy.

But aside from the ass covering aspect, stress is a major killer in life and it's effects on mental health are substantial. Anything you can do to reduce stress in your life should be done when possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Just recently I've been getting into praising myself a bit. More to myself than out loud, and not ''I'm fabulous'' but praising my own strong points. I used to have too much of a self deprecating sense of humour to the point where I started to believe it. I think it's a common Irish female thing.
    And I'm trying to set an example for a friend who constantly calls herself stupid and clumsy. She also gets irate when anyone suggests she might have been a bit daft about something, 'cause only she's allowed to say that and everyone's supposed to think it's cute.

Giving yourself private credit is good I think, or at least not having a very negative inner monologue.

I once caught myself thinking "oh you stupid fcuking ****, typical you, why can't you pay attention to what you're doing, idiot??" about myself. When I accidentally made a wrong move in a game I was playing on my phone :pac: and kind of realised that was the tone of my thoughts all the time and that wasn't good.

Advertisement