Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

479kwh electricity used in 11 days???

Options
  • 01-02-2018 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭

So guys, im in the uk and just moved to an apartment with some mad economy 9 meter....Anyway I get night usage at a cheap rate and day at an expensive rate.
    So I checked the meters today I have used 410kwh in the last 11 days dayrate and 69kwh nightrate...
    There is a wet electric gledhill pulsacoil heating system 3kw...which should be on night rates I assume..
    2 people not at home in daytime in a 2 bedroom apartment. Am I mad or is there something seriously wrong here??
    Dishwasher has been run 3 times..no washing machine or dryer used yet...no other major power appliances in use and heating turned off in the other bedroom.

Comments

Are you sure the decimal is in the correct place?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Certain...... I've checked a few times...

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Perhaps check that the correct time is displayed on the meter ( in case the heating is using the day rate) Perhaps there is a separate timer controlling the heating; if so, check the clock and timer settings ensure that it comes on at night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

It's very possible. It's the equivalent of having a 2 kilowatt heater on all the time.

We are back in Ireland for a couple of days so took a read before we left and will check when we get back and see what happens

• Advertisement

So seems there is an amptec c600 6kw heating boiler also... Insane running costs... No point in night rate at all as it's on demand only.... Running costs about 6000kwh per year only using 3hrs per day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

So seems there is an amptec c600 6kw heating boiler also... Insane running costs... No point in night rate at all as it's on demand only.... Running costs about 6000kwh per year only using 3hrs per day

It might be a good idea to get an electrician to have a look at it unless you are happy enough to pay over €2000 a year in running costs for this.

aido79 wrote: »
    It might be a good idea to get an electrician to have a look at it unless you are happy enough to pay over €2000 a year in running costs for this.

Im not happy with it...but have checked it all out and thats the way it works...

Ive managed to find a single rate energy company so will ignore the day and night rates, and this will bring bill down by £600

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Im not happy with it...but have checked it all out and thats the way it works...

Ive managed to find a single rate energy company so will ignore the day and night rates, and this will bring bill down by £600

To be honest I think you are taking the wrong approach to this. Why do you need/want a 6kWh heater on for 3 hours every day at any rate(day/night /single)?

aido79 wrote: »
    To be honest I think you are taking the wrong approach to this. Why do you need/want a 6kWh heater on for 3 hours every day at any rate(day/night /single)?

well the 3hr is an example...current usage is more than 3hrs a day as its freezing but the boiler is either on or off, theres no in between. Most of year wont be used much..but the day/night rates still make no sense. 20p/8p is what they charge. New company is 11.5p 24/7.. To be clear its an electric boiler for a wet heating system.

• Advertisement
Advertisement