Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Snow & Ice Possible Thursday 8th / Friday 9th

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sun finally making an appearance here. Feeling bitterly cold at 4C.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

It's 4 degrees here in East kerry, it feels bitterly cold though!!! A good covering of cloud too. From experience it feels like it's cold enough to snow even though temp is high at 4 @ the moment. Parts of East kerry, north cork get snow when other areas see nothing very close by, has anyone any thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Snow warnings out for Dublin and Casement airports tonight, valid 2100 - 0200.

EIDW AD WRNG 01 VALID 052200/060200 SNOW FBL 1 TO 3CM FCST =

EIME AD WRNG 01 VALID 052200/060200 SNOW FBL 1 TO 3CM FCST =

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    sun finally making an appearance here. Feeling bitterly cold at 4C.

Yeah th vclear sky is to my south east, edging closer, feeling bitter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

It's 4 degrees here in East kerry, it feels bitterly cold though!!! A good covering of cloud too. From experience it feels like it's cold enough to snow even though temp is high at 4 @ the moment. Parts of East kerry, north cork get snow when other areas see nothing very close by, has anyone any thoughts on this?

I think it will be mainly sleet on lower levels in those parts but snow on higher ground. I am near mallow and expecting sleet but not too high here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Snow warnings out for Dublin and Casement airports tonight, valid 2100 - 0200.

EIDW AD WRNG 01 VALID 052200/060200 SNOW FBL 1 TO 3CM FCST =

EIME AD WRNG 01 VALID 052200/060200 SNOW FBL 1 TO 3CM FCST =

A mention of snow in Cork's forecast too I think - TAF: EICK 051100Z 0512/0612 VRB03KT 9999 FEW018 SCT030 BECMG 0520/0522 3000 -RA BKN004 TEMPO 0521/0601 0800 FG -RADZ BKN002 BECMG 0521/0523 24006KT PROB30 TEMPO 0523/0601 -RASN BECMG 0601/0603 34015KT 9999 NSW SCT010 BKN020

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Are we expecting the front to pep up/intensify?

What's onto the west coast now would just give a widespread snizzlefest...at best!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

A mention of snow in Cork's forecast too I think - TAF: EICK 051100Z 0512/0612 VRB03KT 9999 FEW018 SCT030 BECMG 0520/0522 3000 -RA BKN004 TEMPO 0521/0601 0800 FG -RADZ BKN002 BECMG 0521/0523 24006KT PROB30 TEMPO 0523/0601 -RASN BECMG 0601/0603 34015KT 9999 NSW SCT010 BKN020

That's sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Whats Louth-Monaghan getting Lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Steve F wrote: »

Snow I would imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

On the Meath/Kildare border, I can see the clearance approaching slowly from the east. It's brightening up in general anyway as the layer of cloud is dissipating.

I would expect the sun to break through here in an hour or so, which is fairly good timing as that will be near enough to sunset, meaning solar heating will be negligible.

Quite a bit of cloud associated with the weather front now moving in so the window of opportunity for radiation cooling after dark appears to be narrowing. Hopefully the clouds will break further as we enter darkness and the lower DP's move somewhat westward.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Are we expecting the front to pep up/intensify?

What's onto the west coast now would just give a widespread snizzlefest...at best!

You would certainly hope so. Looking at the latest ME radar image one would be afraid of it disintegrating as it crosses the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

JCX BXC wrote: »
    That's sleet.

D'oh!

you can never get enough sleet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

That's only a bit of low cloud/ virga edging in! It will have a decent structure on the radar I expect but may look too good! I expect a rollercoaster of emotions this evening ����

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Cracking afternoon at Roches Point, Cork - 5 degrees

zIV1EmW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

That's only a bit of low cloud/ virga edging in! It will have a decent structure on the radar I expect but may look too good! I expect a rollercoaster of emotions this evening ����

A normal evening so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I don't see the point in having two warnings - are they not basically the same thing?

On the Netweather radar, it looks fairly moderate in Mayo, Sligo, Leitrim and Donegal. I believe the Met Eireann radar often shows precip in the north west to be much lighter than it actually is.

Also, there appears to be at least two bands with the first over land now (as mentioned above) with another band still offshore - this second band is just starting to come into view on radar. An approximate guide to show the size of the area of rainfall can be seen by looking at the extent of the cloud associated with the front on satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Delta2113 wrote: »
    I don't see the point in having two warnings - are they not basically the same thing?

No. Look at the timings of each.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

DP down to -5c in Dublin Airport.

Meanwhile, DP rising here (West Clare), +2c now, up from +1c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

did Met Eireann warn of between 0 and 3cm of snow

Do we get warnings of 0cm now?

Is that for us snowchasers as in

"warning there may be 0cm of snow so dont be too disappointed"

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Hi WC,

You are not expecting anything for the Dublin Region?

D

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

The temp is actually rising here in Offaly. 4.6 degrees now. It normally starts to drop at this time of day.

EDIT - it has actually dropped by 1 degree since I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

pauldry wrote: »

Yes but you will get somebody who gets .001CM of snow and if there not covered by a warning they will moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

pauldry wrote: »

I presume it means falling snow that will stick but which lacks any depth, as in 0.25cm would be closer to 0 than 1.

Sun has just broken through on the Kildare/Meath border. Temp fell from 4.5 to 3.8c in the past 30 minutes. I might experience a slight rise in the next hour due to a small bit of solar radiation however the sun sets a bit early for me as it goes behind a hill this time of the year that is very close by.....just rose back to 3.8 now

Cloud breaking up very nicely all around me except off towards the south, where it still looks solid enough. I expect a rapid cool down from about 16:30 or so.

.....now 3.9!

RobertKK wrote: »
    I presume it means falling snow that will stick but which lacks any depth, as in 0.25cm would be closer to 0 than 1.

Yes, but 0.25cm is not 0/zero. Anything but 0 is something.

It should be described in a better way like:

This evening and tonight, falls of snow will give accumulations, between a dusting to 3 cm leading to hazardous conditions on roads and footpaths.

Or:

This evening and tonight, falls of snow will give accumulations from trace amounts to 3 cm leading to hazardous conditions on roads and footpaths.

The first one would probably be better as pretty much everyone knows what a dusting of snow is but some people might get a bit confused with "trace amounts".

Back on topic, temp is back down to 3.6. Time for a quick walk whilst it's so nice and pleasant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

It’s after getting much colder in last couple of hours here in central meath. Don’t know the dew point but temperature has dropped to 2 degrees in last half hour, and it has a real feel that snow is coming - which it didn’t earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

2c in Kildare now with a DP of-1c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Originally Posted by Steve F View Post

Snow I would imagine

I hope we don't get much I need to get to work

Advertisement