Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Snow & Ice Possible Thursday 8th / Friday 9th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

gabeeg wrote: »
    What did your Siobhan say?

:D:D

My! (My oh my!) Siobhán Ryan who isn’t mine by the way :D said treacherous conditions on the way
    Rain readily turning to snow especially in the east

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Just checking into the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and spotted this....

Expect western Europe and northern Siberia to be colder than normal for the next four to six weeks. Expect the Arctic ocean area to have much above normal temperatures for the next 4 to 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Temp dropping: 3.1c currently, but Td rising, currently 1.0c.

Very light rain. Enough to dampen the ground (damn it, first time I seen it dry in aeons) but not enough to 'tip the bucket' as of yet.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

JCX BXC wrote: »
    TAF's issued.

Knock now has sleet valid from now, despite the falling snow.

Dublin has light snow from 10pm-12am, with a chance of further light snow until 2am.

Sleet possible in Cork from 11pm.

There must be more precipitation than we can see on the radar so because on present progress the front will have passed Cork by 11pm....

Separately "sleet possible in Cork".... be still my beating heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Sky has finally cleared here in north meath, and its bitter cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Much more cloudier in Kildare. Still 1.7c

Not a breath of wind

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

IS It just me or has the front look to have intensified somenwhat?

Dusk now
    Temp dropping here near Arklow
    Currently 3c
    Dew point rising -0.8c highest of the day
    Sleet/cold rain territory

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    IS It just me or has the front look to have intensified somenwhat?

It does seem to be intensifying within itself and stalling as it meets the much colder airmass. It'll be a dice roll for who gets greatest benefit from that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

What station are you using?

Work it out manually

http://www.weather.gov/epz/wxcalc_rh

Its an old Oregon scientific wmr200 - it's the RH being measured too high by the sensor rather than it calculating it wrong.

Temperature is usually pretty accurate anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

It has clouded over in Dublin 16. 2.4c DP -1.4c atm.

BBC forecast for midnight (wrongly posted in another thread)

forsno.png

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I don't know what it says about this town, or their regard for forecasts, but here in Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, I can hear the ice-cream van jingle his way around. I sh*t you not.

Make sure the "ice cream" isn't yellow!

Netweather radar beginning to show some pink. Not hopeful for here full stop but even the east needs this to pep up a bit....

Cant post pic but see https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar . Make sure to click "weather type on"

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Its an old Oregon scientific wmr200 - it's the RH being measured too high by the sensor rather than it calculating it wrong.

Temperature is usually pretty accurate anyway.

This seems to be an issues with pretty much all weather stations B7. They tend to always read higher than nearby official stations (Rh wise) I have noticed this with my own more than once.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Temo 0.8, dp -0.3, wbt +0.3 at Knock at 5 pm. The lack of decent precipitation from around the country, despite the radar, is not good. A lot of areas may get nothing from this later.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭No Bills

konman wrote: »
    To my untrained eye the front seems to be stalling and merging on the radar, can anyone confirm this?
    Reminds me of Independence Day:

"Can we confirm that the target was destroyed?"
    "Get the tank commander."
    "Confirm the target was destroyed."
    "Red Arrow, Alpha 9723. Can you read?"
    "Repeat. You're breaking up."
    "We have lost visual."
    "Roger that. We're looking for confirmation."
    "We got the bastards."
    "Good job, everyone! Congratulations."
    "Commander, do you have visual?"
    "We need visual confirmation."
    "Has the target been destroyed?"

"Negative."

"Target remains."

"l repeat, target remains."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I don't know what it says about this town, or their regard for forecasts, but here in Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, I can hear the ice-cream van jingle his way around. I sh*t you not.

Here in Dublin 7 we have one who was going around all through the winter, including during the stormy nights. Meanwhile last summer, they were completely absent!

Genuinely don't think their primary business is ice cream...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

My god how I'd love the snow to dump itself down, haven't had a proper day off for snow in years in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

There's cloud all around in D11 but clear sky overhead. The temperature's dropping fairly rapidly. It's now 0.4C. And the DP is falling too. It's now -3.7C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

konman wrote: »
    To my untrained eye the front seems to be stalling and merging on the radar, can anyone confirm this?

Looks like it's moving steadily along to me. Seems to be intensifying a bit, but that could be due to moving into better range of the Dublin and Belfast radar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Icy sleety rain falling outside Ennis now :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

440759.png

And theres Gerry Sleet Murphy when you don't be wanting him !

I will watch the match and hopefully he will have turned his back on me by 10PM ;)

1.2c and DP of -2.4c and Wet bulb of -0.16c I do hate a good marginal event

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Down to 0c at Knock at 5:30pm with continuing snow grains.

Yeah,high up precip,dying front is the concern

Meanwhile
    Arklow
    2.7c dp -1.5c wb 1.3c
    Flat calm and cloudy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Rougies wrote: »
    Looks like it's moving steadily along to me. Seems to be intensifying a bit, but that could be due to moving into better range of the Dublin and Belfast radar

Yeah it’s definitely moving along slowly. If it does eventually stall it will be over E Leinster spitting out bits and bobs

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Snowing in Fermanagh now, about 40 miles west of us, looks promising for here in mid/south Down later.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Down to 0c at Knock at 5:30pm with continuing snow grains.

Is Knock automatic or are these real observations? Cant help notice no one else is reporting snow in their back garden!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Is Knock automatic or are these real observations? Cant help notice no one else is reporting snow in their back garden!

It's manned part time, AFAIK, during airport operational hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

They're manned observations at this time.

Advertisement