Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Snow & Ice Possible Thursday 8th / Friday 9th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Where is that heavy stuff now danno?!

it's certainly not visible on any radar, that's for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Glasfield

I'm located just outside Knock village in Co Mayo, wet snow has been falling since around 5pm, but in the last half hour or so, it has turned to bigger flakes of snow. Car beginning to get covered, with lawn also. Looking at the forecast and charts for the last few days, this front was only to produce rain here in Mayo and turn to snow the further East it went. Can only mean good things, as far as snow goes, for everyone living in the Midlands over to the East of the country imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

netweather showing the band of rain just coming over cork city, expecting the rain to start soon enough.

First time in quite a while that the roads are bone dry though!

net weather and met eireann radars show the precipitation over me for 30 minutes now, still bone dry out there, it must be evaporating before it hits the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

The band of rain is half way over us here in limerick and you could count the rain drops on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Glasfield wrote: »
    I'm located just outside Knock village in Co Mayo, wet snow has been falling since around 5pm, but in the last half hour or so, it has turned to bigger flakes of snow. Car beginning to get covered, with lawn also. Looking at the forecast and charts for the last few days, this front was only to produce rain here in Mayo and turn to snow the further East it went. Can only mean good things, as far as snow goes, for everyone living in the Midlands over to the East of the country imo

Air Temperature at Knock now below 0c, so should be good for snow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Howth temp 2.5c DP -3.1c

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I'm just home from Carrick on Shannon where it was just slightly sleeting and sleet got gradually heavier through Leitrim village and Keadue and Ballyfarnon, proper snow from Geevagh up to the house snow settling from 100m ish, ground white already up here at 255m. 0.7 C and falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Glasfield wrote: »

You better not be taking are snow ;)

Howth temp 2.5c DP 3.1c

Dewpoint higher than temperature?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭RustyGate

Advance scouting party of flakes here near Arklow
    They left the rain behind,it was scared :D
    Quite the covert operation
    Stopped now

Same in Dunshaughlin the last half hour or so, but it still going. I remember same thing ahead a surprise frontal pasting about 25 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

JCX BXC wrote: »

What does that mean?
    Is that unusual?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

What does that mean?
    Is that unusual?

Its unheard of :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

pad199207 wrote: »
    Wet Bulb below zero here in Kildare now

0.9c wb here dropping slowly
    Snowed in Waterford at wb1.1 in early December so should be ok?
    Guess we’ll all know by midnight anyway

Not expecting a whole lot here as the air temp is simply too high at 2.6c
    But the northwesterly May drag in the mountain air fixing that
    Jaysis you’d want a PhD and fluke when any of the values are above zero

Sleet reported in Sligo airport at 6pm and 6:30pm which at a glorious elevation of 3m and right beside the sea, so surely that signifies good things!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The front is off the West coast, this is the occluded front passing over, the cold front will land on the west coast soon and move swiftly in land and merge with this occlusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

JCX BXC wrote: »

What does that mean?
    Is that unusual?

It's defies science.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Mistake, the DP is -3.1c :D

Sorry, didn't mean to upset your hearts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

I'm curious,if it's only meant to meet cold air from Tipperary eastwards...
    How come it's snowing in Knock

What does that mean?
    Is that unusual?

It's impossible, I'm sure Kermit means -3.1c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Danno wrote: »
    The front is off the West coast, this is the occluded front passing over, the cold front will land on the west coast soon and move swiftly in land and merge with this occlusion.

Promise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭the2hurdys

First flakes of watery snow here in South Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Knock Intl is at a decent elevation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Danno wrote: »

I like your thinking but sceptical!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Height above sea level
    Knock is on a hill

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still mostly clear here, current temp of -1, but feeling much colder than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I have to say, since the met brought in these weather warnings, I've seen precisely **** all dangerous or serious weather. Not expecting any snow off the back of this either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

0.9c wb here dropping slowly
    Snowed in Waterford at wb1.1 in early December so should be ok?
    Guess we’ll all know by midnight anyway

This is all rather confusing. I though it can't snow if the wet bulb temperature is above zero?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    still mostly clear here, current temp of -1, but feeling much colder than that.

Clouded over here and doesnt feel as cold as earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The Eagle is a gas man, “bit of snow that will clear to frost and icy conditions....tomorrow will be a day where you will be better off looking out than looking in”

Gas man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

I have to say, since the met brought in these weather warnings, I've seen precisely **** all dangerous or serious weather. Not expecting any snow off the back of this either.

Maybe people are taking need of the warnings so and not driving like absolute morons when it's frosty out ??????
    Or maybe met warning have out a hex over mother nature to keep us all safe ;)

Advertisement