Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Snow & Ice Possible Thursday 8th / Friday 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Gonzo wrote: »
    still mostly clear here, current temp of -1, but feeling much colder than that.
    I concur. Am in north county Dublin and it feels much colder than the indicated temps which are also -1°C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

The tiniest of flakes fluttering around against the back porch lights in North Offaly. Need intensification to get any covering at all. Not optimistic.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

gabeeg wrote: »
    Promise?

It's true, most local radars won't pick it up (ME or raintoday) as radius is small

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

2.4c/-3.3c @ Howth

Winds going off shore soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Glasfield

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Air Temperature at Knock now below 0c, so should be good for snow!

Snow has now stopped for the moment here but judging by the temp outside, whatever else falls out of the sky this evening, it won't be just rain!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Light snow falling the last 30 mins or so. Not sticking yet ...

130m asl
    North Cork / Limerick Tipperary border

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Looks game on for snow. But...but...that front is some anaemic looking string of sh*te

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭riggerman

Rain drops on the car here in Cork city , car showing a temp of 8. Hope fully the main front later tonight will deliver the goods

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Siobhan seemed fairly on the side of snow for the east there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Villain wrote: »
    The Eagle is a gas man, “bit of snow that will clear to frost and icy conditions....tomorrow will be a day where you will be better off looking out than looking in”

Gas man

I heard that too. I don't think he sees much potential in it. Probably considers the yellows are a bit of overkill...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

This is all rather confusing. I though it can't snow if the wet bulb temperature is above zero?

Well micks webcam and weather station said different at the time
    Ive had snow here handy at wb 0.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Front looks pathetic on radar but Danno and cherryghost have been around these parts a long time so I'll take their word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

If you saw the six one broadcast there now, Siobhan clearly showed two fronts, though I don’t understand why both were cold fronts, the first is occluded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Mostly clear and calm here in D11. It's -1.1C with a DP of -3.9C.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Raining light to moderate here in East Limerick... The precipitation is there now anyway, would be giving a light dusting of it was snow.

Hope it lasts for you guys further east.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Judging by the radar on the met eireann forecast I think down in Cork we have more chance of snow tomorrow than tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Danno wrote: »
    The front is off the West coast, this is the occluded front passing over, the cold front will land on the west coast soon and move swiftly in land and merge with this occlusion.
    I don't think so, the front is a very weak affair with high pressure on either side of us. I hope you're correct and I'm wrong.

fax0s.gif?0

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

I concur. Am in north county Dublin and it feels much colder than the indicated temps which are also -1°C

It's the low dew points we're feeling. They're about as low as they've been all Winter.

Even with calm and clear conditions here everything is bone dry. The temp probably would have been down to -5 by midnight if everything stayed exactly the same.

We briefly managed to tap into a continental source of air, but this pesky front is going to shunt it all away again. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Car frozen over here coastal Meath.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I saw the forecast on RTE1 and they were showing 2 cold fronts alright, but looking at the IR radar I am not really seeing two fronts. The cloud/rain/snow over Ireland right now seems to be it.

I can see all the showers pilling up behind to our north-west. Those showers look considerably more beefy than what this front is showing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Sleet falling in Athlone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Raheny. 1.1deg. DP -3, Mostly Clear

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Gonzo wrote: »
    I saw the forecast on RTE1 and they were showing 2 cold fronts alright, but looking at the IR radar I am not really seeing two fronts. The cloud/rain/snow over Ireland right now seems to be it.

I can see all the showers pilling up behind to our north-west. Those showers look considerably more beefy than what this front is showing.

Here you can clearly see the 2nd front that will merge later in the night
    440781.png

Showers to follow after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Let's hope this snow doesn't materialise as its a major headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Looks as if this fist front is starting to stall, and the second front might join in to it and give it a bit more of a push east

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

update from met eireann

Outbreaks of rain and drizzle will continue to move eastwards this evening and early tonight, with snow flurries across the Midlands and east of the country. The later part of the night will be clear and cold with frost and ice forming towards dawn. Lows of -2 to +1 with northwesterly winds developing overnight.

...only described as snow flurries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Let's hope this snow doesn't materialise as its a major headache.

You're probably in the wrong forum for that talk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Looking at the IR sat pics there doesn't seem to be any trace of this second front which should be just off the west coast. Am i missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Rain is moderate/heavy here now, would make nice snow for someone higher up.

Advertisement