Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Snow & Ice Possible Thursday 8th / Friday 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Latest Dew point temps:

qyN9hN5.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

Light snow in North Cork,,a light covering now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Up to 0.9c in D14.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭highdef

About 40km west of Dublin city, it's still dry. Temperature has been rising the past hour or so. Was sub zero for a brief while around dusk but it's not a sweltering 0.8c.:mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I don't think anywhere is going to see lying snow or a wet ground, most places unlikely to even see precipitation at this stage. Maybe one or two lucky spots may get the slightest of slightest coatings but that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭RustyGate

Gonzo wrote: »
    netweather is showing snow above me but there is absolutely nothing falling here.
    Need a better lamppost Gonzo. But it's not really got past snizzle in Dunshaughlin at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Temp on the rise now in Dublin 16 as the front approaches. -0.1c DP -1.9c atm.

Same as that up the hills. Has gone from -2 to -1 in the last half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

netweather is showing snow above me but there is absolutely nothing falling here.

It'll pep up later. The radar showed rain over me initially when none was falling.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

I don't think anywhere is going to see lying snow or a wet ground, most places unlikely to even see precipitation at this stage.

Yeah ill give it to 22:00. If no significant change well then we can shut up shop and eat the head off Kermit! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I don't think anywhere is going to see lying snow or a wet ground, most places unlikely to even see precipitation at this stage. Maybe one or two lucky spots may get the slightest of slightest coatings but that's about it.
    What are you on about?
    Most of the East will see snow and a lot will have snow lying. Sorry but your completely misleading in what you say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

There is lots of time- this front won't be clearing you until around 2. So you've 5 hours for some snow.

hirlamuk-1-14-0.png?05-16

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

sdanseo wrote: »
    And yet, still only a yellow warning: https://www.imeteo.sk/vystrahy

Met Éireann would have to invent a whole new colour if that was here.

Yes, it was a wicked stationary convective area, you wouldn't believe that ECMWF had only 2.5mm percipitation yesterday evening and we got 40cm or so! Actually ECMWF is nearly useless for my region is Slovakia as we have a weird orography and westerly winds hardly ever blow over our valley as it is surrounded by hills around 1000m a.s.l from nearly everywhere, we have our very own numerical model called Aladin, it is very good actually,developed by our national weather agency, theyre website is so much more filled with data,numericals, etc. Met.ie is a complete joke compared to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

Loads of flights to UK being cancelled. Will I be ok for a morning flight to Heathrow on Wednesday morning?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

There is lots of time- this front won't be clearing you until around 2. So you've 5 hours for some snow.

hopefully, it's just not very encouraging when what's falling is so light that it's hard to make out even under a proper outside light!.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Snow on the way to the E but light Id imagine, a few brief heavier bands perhaps if they make it that far.

Tralee Temp rising to 4.3C, 2.2mm of rain ( heavier shower now )

vbgrAYo.gif

E3uABZy.png

eQoalt4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm now up to 1c.

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/cams/ Great website for looking at fairly up to date traffic camera pictures. M4 Enfield is the closest to me (west of me) and it's showing very light snow so I am expecting a flurry soon. Lying snow to be seen in some of the images but bear in mind that they are all taken on major roads which will probably have been gritted so if you see a wet road with a snowy verge, don't get disheartened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Lightly snowing here now in south west Laois....Would need a couple of days of this at this intensity to get a covering:pac:

Pepping up a bit now though and beginning to stick to the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Are you seriously telling me I have to feckin stay up until 3am for that green area snow storm in Wicklow and be fit for working in the morning :D

Ok so

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭RustyGate

If it doesn't get any heavier here (Dunshaughlin) there's no chance of it sticking even if keeps going until next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

well after 2 hours of persistent snizzle, we have a very slight dusting now on the roof of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Snowing here in my area of meath, but its just wetting the ground, with a bit sticking on the car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

hopefully, it's just not very encouraging when what's falling is so light that it's hard to make out even under a proper outside light!.

The ARPEGE seems to have modeled this pretty well.

Doesn't have the front leaving our shores until 5am

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Hi just in on post, do you think Waterford will get any snow? Thanks in advance for any answers.

RustyGate wrote: »
    If it doesn't get any heavier here (Dunshaughlin) there's no chance of it sticking even if keeps going until next week.

some grains here now, but they are now melting as they hit the bin surface. Definitely feeling milder than it was an hour ago too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Air temp down to 0.7c in Arklow now
    Dp-1.9c

Wet bulb.... DRUM ROLL -0.2c

Light snow now here in Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Light snow grains falling here at the moment in Bangor, Co.Down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

A couple of specs of snow on the windscreen driving home to Maynooth just now, exciting stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

I Think ME have played there cards right in the latest update mentioning “ snow flurries “

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Light snow, car is white, hills NE of Kilkenny City.
    Temp: 0.8C
    DP: -2.1C.

Advertisement