Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Snow & Ice Possible Thursday 8th / Friday 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Heavy snow here in laois but flakes are small.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

10 degrees and raining in Barcelona!! Those photos of the snow in Spain must be high up in the Picos mountains!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Very fine snow in Dublin city center (south side) now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

gabeeg wrote: »
    Honestly, I first thought it was a beating heart

I saw an owl's face!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Mech1 wrote: »
    Starting now in D16
    you can watch my back garden on live youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4ej6MxHSI0

You left your jocks out on the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Snowing the last 45 mins in D15. The flakes are tiny. Dandruff layer on the car. Feels like wet sleet landing on the hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

10 degrees and raining in Barcelona!! Those photos of the snow in Spain must be high up in the Picos mountains!!

The elevation was 1650m according to the photographer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,652 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    When it comes to climate, Ireland really should be on top of the shyte-hole list.

Alternatively it would be the places that get incredibly destructive extreme weather, but sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

highdef wrote: »
    I'm reading a good few reports of moderate snow in Dublin, which I find hard to believe. Moderate snow requires visibility to be between 500 - 1,000m. I've looked at the latest traffic camera images on the M50 and whilst I can see snow falling on most of them, visibility is FAR higher then 1,000m on every one of them. For snow to be classified as heavy, visibility needs to be below 500m....I got that only a few times during the 2010 winter.

Looking at snow fall past a lampost in the daytime will often look a lot lighter than the same intensity as if watching it at night time.

Or maybe some people's view on what constitutes to be moderate snow differs to what is actually classified moderate snow.

40km west of Dublin, I've mainly had flurries but recently had light snow....some people may classify it as moderate but visibility was not impaired enough.

How are you quantifying the 1000m distance? What might constitute 1000m to you based on a webcam view might differ to what is actually classified as 1000m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭monkey lover

Snow in Dublin 24, approx 100m asl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Starting now in D16
    you can watch my back garden on live youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4ej6MxHSI0

Cheers, that'll save me looking out the window every 5 minutes (I probably will anyway :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I'd go as far as to say it's properly snowing now in D16.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Decent light snow here now, unbelievable

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still snowing here, but the flakes are tiny. Settling on everything but footpaths and roads. Close to 0.5 cm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Those for whom it has ended, how long did it last? Lightly snowing in Firhouse / Ballycullen now, flakes are medium sized, a dusting that is sticking

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Satellite over the last 3 hours or so. Very slow moving front:

sre.gif
    The radar is a better judge of how the front is moving though, and the front looks beefier with higher clouds near the back in that satellite image. That doesn't mean they'll dump much though and it's unfortunate for snow lovers in Dublin. Any stalling of the front looks more likely further south or north.

Over here there's plenty of adiabatic cooling going on which is great for low temperatures but not so good for precipitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Looks like sleet now!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Light flutter in Sandymount. Irish coffee going down a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I get the 0cm warning now. There's literally nothing.

Met Eireann are putting out warning for nothing.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Bone dry and cloudy in Arklow but we’re within parameters :D
    Air 0.7c
    Dp -1.7c
    Wb -0.2c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭highdef

Bio Mech wrote: »
    How are you quantifying the 1000m distance? What might constitute 1000m to you based on a webcam view might differ to what is actually classified as 1000m.

A large amount of the webcams on the M50 have views of several kilometres distance so it's fairly easy to tell if it's light or moderate.

Determining between moderate and heavy could be a little bit more difficult unless you know the exact position of a camera and then distances to landmarks view-able at ever increasing distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Itty bitty teeny weeny snowflakes falling in rathmines

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

I'd like to report that the cork City snow shield is down and it's currently snowing! :O bigish flakes too.

Edit: slowly reverting to light snow and then back to bigger snow flakes, each taking like 5 minute turns . Hm... Better then nothing!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Light snow now in Waterford City suburbs. Temp 2.5c DP -0.4c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Very light snow now in Swords...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Starting now in D16

Strangely satisfying to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Heavy snow now suprisingly d17

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

The snow falling here in D9 is doing nothing more than wetting the ground. Hoping for a pick up but losing any remaining optimism.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Light snow now in Waterford City suburbs. Temp 2.5c DP -0.4c

Jumps out of bed to take a look ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

highdef wrote: »
    A large amount of the webcams on the M50 have views of several kilometres distance so it's fairly easy to tell if it's light or moderate.

Determining between moderate and heavy could be a little bit more difficult unless you know the exact position of a camera and then distances to landmarks view-able at ever increasing distances.

I was only joking. What I was suggesting is that people rate things based on their own perception of them. And they are not necessarily in line with accepted international standards. So light snow to one might moderate to another. Based on their own experience and expectation. We all do it to some extent depending on our own bias.

The only way to know for sure is to look to the nearest lamppost!

Still coming down here. Light.

Advertisement