Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Snow & Ice Possible Thursday 8th / Friday 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Light snow turned to light wet snow grains now- a very slight dusting on some bins and grass but quite sloppy.

A little intensity please!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Josieg

Bit late with update from the NW. North Leitrim to be precise. Steady wet snow from about 5pm today until 8:30. Started to turn wetter then and still sleeting now. About 3-4cm lying. I'd say it's done for now. We are a couple of hundred metres above sea level so always get snow if there's a sniff of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cowana

Very light snow here below glencree co wicklow, dusting on car roof. 250m ASL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Just started snowing here near Arklow
    Proper flakes

Air 0.7
    Dp-1.9
    Wb -0.2c

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

ZX7R wrote: »
    Suncroft snow

nice photo, and much better light from the new LED replacement up the road ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

It was never going to snow in Kerry from the frontal band, what is more of interest to me now is the airmass to come in from the NW, plenty of beefy showers by the look of it, but where and how heavy ? will have to wait and see tomorrow morning. Moderate rain here now in Kerry, 5.3C , Rain 3.8mm , winds picking up from the NNW.

wsvLmgy.gif

Fhl4Lnz.png

tempresult_tyw7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Getting a little heavier now in Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Persistent light to moderate snow settling on roofs and car roofs...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭adgib

Constant in Naas,but very light

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I've been looking at some of the charts posted up here for the last few days and I was wondering how 4 hours of snow could amount to a max of 3 cm. Now I see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

nice photo, and much better light from the new LED replacement up the road ;)

I'm not a lover of the new LED lights, however I always thought they'd be great for snow watching!

On an aside, note that Low Pressure Sodium bulbs are no longer manufactured, so expect LED's to become standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Snizzle in waterford. Temp was holding for most of the night at 2.9c with negative DP temp has fallen off in last half an hour to 1.3 c but dew point rising with every drop..currently ,0.5c ya couldnt make it up arghhhh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

could be some decent snow showers tomorrow. RTE even showed what looked like wintry showers over Cavan, Meath, Dublin etc tomorrow evening from the north-west. Will be interesting to see will we see anything here tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heaviest it’s fallen all evening here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    could be some decent snow showers tomorrow. RTE even showed what looked like wintry showers over Cavan, Meath, Dublin etc tomorrow evening from the north-west. Will be interesting to see will we see anything here tomorrow.

16th January proved how decent they can be, although I personally don't see much at all tomorrow here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Getting heavier now in Waterford City and starting to show on the Live Stream
    Temp 1.2c DP 0.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Some of the model depictions for the cold north-northwest flow Tuesday mid-day seem a bit stingy on shower production, there will be -11 C uppers over north-central counties by early afternoon and I would not be surprised if this creates some heavy snow showers for many parts of Connacht, Ulster and north midlands into north Leinster. Hail and thunder likely in this mix also. This activity may not get to either south or east coasts, but many other parts of the country stand a good chance of seeing at least briefly heavy snow showers. Local accumulations of 5-8 cms could develop in west Ulster. This all kicks off between 0400h and 0600h when the coldest air arrives behind the front. (there are similar uppers over Wales at this point and the milder wedge is forecast to collapse to the south overnight -- this is one reason why I think it may continue to snow fairly decent amounts in some parts of Leinster until about 0400h).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

More rain than snow in Dublin 8 now - very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Light snow Dublin 3. Slightly above freezing .5c

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Juppie

Gonzo wrote: »

Are you in Dunshaughlin? We have a nice little covering in Trim at the moment. My 8 month old woke up a few minutes ago and I was happy out sat on the bed with him lamp post watching :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Juppie wrote: »
    Are you in Dunshaughlin? We have a nice little covering in Trim at the moment. My 8 month old woke up a few minutes ago and I was happy out sat on the bed with him lamp post watching :)

I just had a check outside and the intensity has definitely picked up a notch. About 1 cm here now. It's still kinda graupely rather than powdery snowflakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

Snow has got heavier here for last 20 mins or so. About 2 or 3 cms on car and grass and 1 cm on driveway and road. Tara, meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'm not a lover of the new LED lights, however I always thought they'd be great for snow watching!

On an aside, note that Low Sodium Vapour bulbs are no longer manufactured, so expect LED's to become standard.

I would be a bit sentimental about the old yellow bulbs, looking out the window brigs me back to my child hood makes me feel like I'm 5 again and being excited praying for no school the next day....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

heavy light snow in Naas now if ya know what I mean. Everything covered

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Getting road coverage and on the paths now , heaviest its been so far ( Newbridge )

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pad199207 wrote: »

https://twitter.com/KildareMet/status/960652247142150146

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Since last posting the snow has continued to hammer down here. The roads are now covered and there's a white blanket down over everything. South laois 150m asl. Night all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

pad199207 wrote: »

Same here in D11, except just on cars grass etc for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

JCX BXC wrote: »

On an aside, note that Low Sodium Vapour bulbs are no longer manufactured, so expect LED's to become standard.

Off topic but one of the Low Sodium Vapour bulbs blew in the village recently. Was hoping they'd replace it with an LED but Kildare CC obviously still have sodium bulbs in stock that they are going to clear out first :mad:

On-topic, light snow is almost down to a flurry now as the main band moves off. Looks like a few hours of shnizzle to go. Temp is 0.3c so it'll be turning very icy soon, if it's not done so already. Going for a night time walk with the dog shortly so I'll soon find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Settling on the grass here now but it's more graupel than snow.

Advertisement