Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Snow & Ice Possible Thursday 8th / Friday 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Interesting how the GFS overplayed not just the snow as we've seen before, but also the width of the band of precipitation and speed at which it's progressing. If we're willing to overlook that, the second and third frames below show a reasonable chance of showers into tomorrow.

3-779UK.GIF?05-18
    9-779UK.GIF?05-18
    21-779UK.GIF?05-18

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Promised the boy before he went to sleep that it would be all white when he woke up

snowing lightly for hours now everything turning white

Magic for a six year and a forty year old

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

heavyish snow here now, still very small flakes but there are so many of them. Close to 2 cm of snow here now, it's like as if the snow depth has doubled in the past 20 minutes.

Lightened off now. But quite heavy just a few minutes ago (Dundalk). Covering on cars. Much less so on the ground. Melting quite a bit.

440814.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Light wet snow is still falling at Grange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Coming down nicely here at coastal Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Starting to stick to roads/paths now here in Newbridge. Good covering everywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Covering on cars and grass thickening. However ground is just getting wetter and wetter. Dublin 9. Need a more sustained burst to try get a coating on other surfaces or else this is a car and grass only job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Amazing how quickly this is accumulating

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

pad199207 wrote: »
    Amazing how quickly this is accumulating

Do you want an update from my window / lamppost or we still working off that radar :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Its lovely seeing it all white out , we may have to have that snowball fight in between Naas / Newbridge yet , Ive a feeling this winter has a few more twists in her yet ,

Enjoy every last flake

• Advertisement

Ive a feeling this winter has a few more twists in her yet ,

Enjoy every last flake

See the Winter discussion thread :). I've literally plagued it pretty much with regards to this SSW/PV split and the prospects for late February and early March :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Need a wee bit of dry snow for it to stick to cars I’ll put my faith in it that overnight Mother Nature does the trick !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

sryanbruen wrote: »
    See the Winter discussion thread :). I've literally plagued it pretty much with regards to this SSW/PV split and the prospects for late February and early March :D.

Ive been following your postings ;) thats why Im thinking there maybe a few more twists in it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

All this stuff is going to freeze toward morning, could be tricky enough.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Wet snow was falling in Ashbourne, but it's now starting to cover ground and tarmac, it wasn't sticking for a while, but all the leaves and branches on the bushes outside the utility window are now starting to build a covering, and it's still consistently falling, slightly heavier than it was. Probably about 1 cm at present, not going outside to check as I'm trying to solve some computer issues, and it keeps wanting entries on the keyboard.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Easily the most beautiful snowfall I’ve seen since 2010. Very heavy light snowflakes falling graciously down with calm conditions.

It’s creating beautiful patterns accumulating on the cars

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

An interesting 24 hrs ahead on the Kerry coast to see what type of wintry precipitation we get. Models not showing as much precipitation as you would expect in that kind of a flow.

Very cold uppers.

tempresult_kgi7.gif

tempresult_ncb7.gif

xynmThV.png

pad199207 wrote: »
    Easily the most beautiful snowfall I’ve seen since 2010. Very heavy light snowflakes falling graciously down with calm conditions.

It’s creating beautiful patterns accumulating on the cars

Where's the pictures!? :P

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Where's the pictures!? :P

Twitter and Snapchat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

Much more powdery snow than the last fall a couple of weeks ago. Still coming down nicely. Around 3 cms now on the driveway and deeper again in the garden. Tara, Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This is my third snow event from the west since Christmas. This may not be as much as the last one but I've the feeling the snow will hang around a bit longer for tomorrow.

The icing on the cake would be a decent easterly at some point over the next 5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Dublin Airport
    Air 0.0
    Dewpoint -0.7
    Wet bulb -0.3
    SNOW

Casement
    Air -0.3
    Dewpoint -0.9
    Wet bulb -0.5
    SNOW

Tá sé ag cur fíor-sneachta...ar deireadh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Snow here is more of a wet nature and only sticking to cars. Everywhere else is wet. If it freezes on this later it will be treacherous for the morning commute. Current temp in Waterford City 1.1c DP 0.6c WB 0.9c

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What's the commute into Dublin from the north (M1) forecast to be like early tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭freesia1

Nothing on ground but sticking to cars here in Dublin7.

Still coming down Newbridge ,

We now are full White Gold coverage here in Newbridge ,

440816.jpg

440817.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Starting to get some proper flakes again toward Santry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

About 1-2cm on the grass near Maynooth, just light sprinkley stuff all night but accumulating slowly but surely. Concrete & hard surfaces still bare

Ive been following your postings ;) thats why Im thinking there maybe a few more twists in it yet

I'm not nearly as good as Redsunset was with regards to the quality posts on the topic, but I hope I've made them interesting enough to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Seems it is only the storms that actually happen now.

Hope over reality regarding snow now. But maybe when I wake up in the morning it will be a whiteout.

It will happen unexpectedly when the forecast is for sunny skies or something.

Sorry you have been disappointed again.

Advertisement