Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Snow & Ice Possible Thursday 8th / Friday 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Them misty snow grains really do stick readily.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Them misty snow grains really do stick readily.

They provided the foundation for my locale as they normally do :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Well I must say what a surprise. I was ready to give up the ghost on this and it did really look like it was on its last legs.

Winter wonderland here now in Naas with 4cm on the garden wall more on the grass I’d say. Near 3cm on the road.

That type of snow works absolute wonders.

-0.3c

Heaviest snow of the night now, monster flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Can someone explain what i should be looking at around Derry on the radar? I've been flicking through the 18z runs, compared to earlier ones, and it seems the "warm" wedge covering most of the country is a little healthier than expected. Nothing new there...

But why is that new burgeoning trough showing as sleet/rain instead of snow on Meteociel...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Heaviest snow of the night now, monster flakes.

Hope you're not lying, they've become light now here.

I really should be going asleep but I'm having too much fun watching the white gold fall here :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Same

Can someone explain what i should be looking at around Derry on the radar? I've been flicking through the 18z runs, compared to earlier ones, and it seems the "warm" wedge covering most of the country is a little healthier than expected. Nothing new there...

But why is that new burgeoning trough showing as sleet/rain instead of snow on Meteociel...

I have not examined closely but i reckon one could have drawn two fronts

The front over Ulster demarcates the cold atlantic pm air from the warmish sector...

See the 850hPa temps here....but i have not analysed this closely

hirlamuk-16-6-0.png?05-22

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

As in same as Kermit...dinner plates. Quite intense something showing up on North coast east of Foyle on radar...??/

Flakes are like dinner plates, everything going white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Still going in Sandyford below 3 rock. Icy snow even though temp says 1.1c. Sorry for video being a bit grainy

Misty snow grains replaced by Mod snow now full flakes.

Still going in Sandyford below 3 rock. Icy snow even though temp says 1.1c. Sorry for video being a bit grainy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Misty snow grains replaced by Mod snow now full flakes.

Exact same just happened here.

0.5C.

Have we got the second front pepping up now over The Shannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Looking at the radar, the idea of the second front is really shaping up. It is clearly intensifying and extending southwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Its shot up to 3c in Sligo now from 0.6c earlier. I thought these were cold fronts

Still going in Sandyford below 3 rock. Icy snow even though temp says 1.1c. Can’t upload video because it’s too big

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Ok, you weren't lying oh my god.

Definitely best snowfall since 2010!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

What's the story with the traffic cameras? TII cameras do not load, most of the TrafficwatchNI cams show daylight. Is it just me?

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Ok, you weren't lying oh my god.

Definitely best snowfall since 2010!!

I told yee I would send it on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Moderate snow verging on heavy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

What ever is falling now seems to be like drizzle , I'm hearing the slow drip in the drains and just went out for a look , its defiantly taking away some of the coverage I had ,

Strange at 0.0 and -1.7dp , must check wet bulb now (-0.3)

Not sure how to explain it , hopefully the temp keeps dropping to keep my snow intact for the morning :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Flakes are like dinner plates, everything going white.

Sorry to pester but an approx closer location in Santry are you? I'd imagine we're a short walk but here I'm seeing nothing of the likes. Decent on cars and grass but ground still soaking!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I have not examined closely but i reckon one could have drawn two fronts

The front over Ulster demarcates the cold atlantic pm air from the warmish sector...

See the 850hPa temps here....but i have not analysed this close

A cold occlusion of sorts? Looking at the infrared satellite seems to hint at that also. I still don't think it's going to change much except in NI.

Seems to be dying off a bit in Dublin now. 2.5cm on cars and some of the roads have notions of getting a dusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

patneve2 wrote: »
    Moderate snow verging on heavy.

Same here, you've a good bit more on the way- I reckon you might get your inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Roofs and cars finally going white in Ringsend, coming down nicely although probably not for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

What ever is falling now seems to be like drizzle , I'm hearing the slow drip in the drains and just went out for a luck , its defiantly taking away some of the coverage I had ,

Strange at 0.0 and -1.7dp , must check wet bulb now (-0.3)

Not sure how to explain it , hopefully he temp keeps dropping to keep my snow intact for the morning :pac:

The same here. Tiny wet drops of something like drizzle falling and the covering is pretty wet now.

• Advertisement

John.Icy wrote: »
    Sorry to pester but an approx closer location in Santry are you? I'd imagine we're a short walk but here I'm seeing nothing of the likes. Decent on cars and grass but ground still soaking!

Closer to the Whitehall end.

Still going moderately here and still some decent sized flakes. Hoping we can avoid a thaw.

Advertisement