Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Snow & Ice Possible Thursday 8th / Friday 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

What ever is falling now seems to be like drizzle , I'm hearing the slow drip in the drains and just went out for a luck , its defiantly taking away some of the coverage I had ,

Strange at 0.0 and -1.7dp , must check wet bulb now (-0.3)

Not sure how to explain it , hopefully he temp keeps dropping to keep my snow intact for the morning :pac:
    Same in Mullingar according to the latest obs.
    0c and rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

A cold occlusion of sorts? Looking at the infrared satellite seems to hint at that also. I still don't think it's going to change much except in NI.
    Look at raintodays radar
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
    You can really see a wave rippling along the second front

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

50% more snow here in the last 20 mins than all night so far.

It's eased back to snivvely crap again but if we get another even 15 mins of heavy stuff everything will be white. Road is partially covered now.

Less than 1km from the coast here in Malahide too, always 1-2 degrees higher than the west side of the city. If it snows here it can snow anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The main front seems to be stalling in the Irish Sea a bit, if only its momentum was that bit less and we'd have some more substantial snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

February I love ye already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Is it sticking anywhere on roads/paths?
    Doesn't seem to be sticking anywhere in Dublin 1.
    And is it supposed to feeze tonight in Dublin? Could the morning commute be a disaster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Steady snow here near Arklow
    Everything quite white

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Stopped here, for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

As soon as it stops I'm heading out with the drone. Camera is fairly useless for nighttime pics but I'm hoping the snow plus street lights gives some good results.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

pauldry wrote: »
    Its shot up to 3c in Sligo now from 0.6c earlier. I thought these were cold fronts

Probably just the stronger winds starting to blow as the northwest flow sets in, raising your temperature for a short time, it's not really a frontal situation as much as the old modified batch of arctic air being flushed out by this new more vigorous push, and your temp should come down at times on Tuesday, especially near any stronger showers which will tend to draw down colder air aloft, then you may see some heavy falls of hail or snow locally during the day, very banded structure likely so all depends on whether you're under a band or between two of them, think you should be under one there in Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Decent splattering on all surfaces except the roads/paths here in Rathgar.

There was a sign something was going to happen when the house was invaded by bloody mice again a few days ago.

I am sure they can predict the weather better than us!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Stopped here, for now.

Still some snowflakes here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

very light again now here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Gremlin wrote: »
    Look at raintodays radar
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
    You can really see a wave rippling along the second front
    The wind direction at various met stations tells a story, west coast stations have a slow but steady NW wind while inland ones tend to be southerly. With the warmer air wedge being that bit bigger... if the cold pm airmass is as cold as predicted, there could be a bit more to wring out of the sponge than just convective shower activity. Could be interesting for the midlands.

Chrongen wrote: »
    Is it sticking anywhere on roads/paths?
    Doesn't seem to be sticking anywhere in Dublin 1.
    And is it supposed to feeze tonight in Dublin? Could the morning commute be a disaster?

The urban heat island of a large city like Dublin is often enough to prevent severe road icing inside the built up area with possible exception of higher suburbs which would be a bit colder and receive more snow anyway.

The real commuting problems will likely be out in surrounding counties where some accumulations of 2-4 cms may stick around into the morning hours, and slush on roadways will freeze. Volume of traffic often takes care of this on major routes so it would be side streets and rural secondary roads that might be the most hazardous. Also as the event was reasonably well predicted the gritters should be ready to rumble soon and before the first of the morning rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

New waves developing now evident on radar. These ones most likely could be dare I say it heavier....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Beefy precip rapidly growing SE on RT radar. Nice covering here near Drogheda, hope it hangs around.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Yep I’ve got rain / drizzle coming down ,

Starting to see the paths fully again and roads are not far behind ,

Bit baffled since the temp is at 0.0 , dp -1.7 and wet bulb below freezing also

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Gone up to 3.8c in Sligo now.

Bloody Atlantic.

Back to hailstones tomorrow I guess.

Went out there to check and its way milder than at 5.30pm when it was 0c

The grass and other surfaces are fine here but a thaw on pavements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Precip along that second frontal zone is beginning to ease back now --so I think that's it for here.

Hopefully there'll be something left for morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

after an interval of light snow, heaviest snow all evening now. Reckon I've got another 10 15 mins left of this

The back edge of this frontal band seems to be freezing drizzle or just drizzle, there's a slightly warmer sector between this front and the leading edge of the invading cold from the northwest, and temperatures may rise to 1-2 C which is going to place the icy roads situation mostly into higher elevations and cold pockets in the inland southeast where the air does not mix as readily. Dublin and Casement could have their warmest temps around 1100h on Tuesday which is a bit unusual (4-6 C). Then it will stay steady or drop slowly and could drop sharply if any wintry showers make it that far inland.

At some point, maybe around 0600h, a moderator might want to change thread title again, this time to heavy snow and hail showers in parts of Connacht, Ulster, north midlands and west Munster. While the east coast snow is about to finish up (some higher locations could still accumulate more) there will be a break between events and the northwestern counties will become our focus for active weather, could have some locally heavy falls of snow and/or hail with the very cold temperatures aloft already moving into Donegal and spreading over most of Ireland by early afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

The urban heat island of a large city like Dublin is often enough to prevent severe road icing inside the built up area with possible exception of higher suburbs which would be a bit colder and receive more snow anyway.

The real commuting problems will likely be out in surrounding counties where some accumulations of 2-4 cms may stick around into the morning hours, and slush on roadways will freeze. Volume of traffic often takes care of this on major routes so it would be side streets and rural secondary roads that might be the most hazardous. Also as the event was reasonably well predicted the gritters should be ready to rumble soon and before the first of the morning rush.

I could work from home if I wanted to so I'm just wondering if it would be justified. Office is out past Mulhuddart. Boss drives in from Portmarnock so he might be staying home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Still snowing away here nicely

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Still snowing in Waterford City with a nice covering on everything bar roads and footpaths. I’m out guys, an enjoyable night which did deliver in the end

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

bit of a thaw on here on footpaths and can hear a slight dripping sound but it's starting to snow here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Signs of the second front coming to life around longford, thought that there would be a stronger pulse in this one, maybe the NW wind will aid this one?

Wouldn't be surprised to see some snow showers make it to the east coast before night is out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Around 11.15pm in south Laois

Advertisement